All right.
那我该怎么做?
What do I need to do?
让他喜欢你
Just make him like you.
我跟他聊天时
When I talked to him,
他听到你是逃犯时觉得很兴奋
he seemed thrilled that you’re a fugitive.
你就照这样演
Just, you know, play that up.
万一他认出我怎么办?
But what if he recognizes me?
你? -对啊 真正的我
You? -Yeah, the real me.
莫克 你又不有名
Monk, you’re not that famous.
好莱坞没人会读书
And nobody in Hollywood reads.
他们只会叫助理读 然后整理给他们
They got their assistants to read things, and then summarize them.
那整座城市都非常仰赖书本简介
The whole town runs on book reports.
你确定你能照顾我妈吗?
You sure you can look after my mother?
我不会让她离开我的视线
She won’t leave my sight.
反正你也只会在对街
You’ll just be across the street, anyway.
对街 -你该走了 不然会迟到
Across the street. You should go. You’ll be late.
他在等你
He’s waiting for you.
这个嘛…
Well…
若他希望我是典型逃犯
if he, uh, wants the stereotype,
也许我最好迟到一下
maybe it’s better I’m late.
你是斯塔格吗?
Stagg, I presume?
就是我 -嘿 我是瓦利
That’s me. Hey, I’m Wiley.
很高兴见到你 老兄
Nice to meet you, brother.
很抱歉这是个烛光餐厅
Sorry about the bougie restaurant.
是我助理挑的
My assistant picked it.
若你很不安的话 我们可以换一间
We can go somewhere else if you’re uncomfortable.
没关系 -好
This is fine. -Okay.
你要喝什么?
What are you drinking?
我要喝白诗南酒
I’ll have a Chenin Blanc.
好 -最不甜的那种
All right. Of your driest.
有什么好笑?
Well, what’s funny?
这不太像是你这种人会点的饮料
Ah, it’s just a strange order for a guy like you.
为什么?
Why is that?
没什么罪犯会喝白酒
Well, you don’t see many convicts drinking white wine.
你认识很多罪犯吗?
You know many convicts?
说出来会让你吃惊
You’d be surprised.
我自己坐过一个月的牢
I spent a month in the joint myself.
因为违反某种商业条款
It was some interstate commerce shit.
时间很短暂 但告诉你
It was a short stay, but I’ll tell you what,
那个经验成就了现在的我
that experience grounded me.
我在里面遇到的人让我发掘
The people I met in there allowed me to see
世上有一群无名小卒
a whole world of underrepresented stories
他们的故事需要被大众所知
from underrepresented storytellers.
我可以问你坐牢的原因吗?
Can I ask what you were in for?
我不想谈这件事
I don’t like to talk about that.
你懂吗?
You feel me?
是谋杀吗?
Was it murder?
是你说的 不是我
You said that, not me.
我得说 在你出现之前
You know, I got to tell you, before you showed up,
我有点担心你是骗子
I was a little worried you might be a phony.
好莱坞有一堆骗子
A lot of fakes in Hollywood.
我不是从好莱坞来的
Well, I’m not from Hollywood.
是啊 没错 很明显
Yeah, yeah, no. That’s obvious. That’s obvious.
显然 你跟一般的电影编剧
Clearly, you’re cut from a different cloth
不太一样
than your average…screenwriter.
我问你
Let me ask you…
我知道他们有把我的作品寄给你
I know they sent you some of my stuff.
你有看过我的电影吗?
Did you have a chance to see any of my movies?
抱歉 你说什么?
Sorry, what did you say?
你有看过我的电影吗?
Have you seen any of my movies?
没有
Uh, no.
好 我想这么做
Okay. Well, look, what I like to do
我想结合电影类型 与显实世界中的苦难
is I like to pair genre with real-world pathos.
这样能更升华电影
It kind of elevates things.
你也许会对我们正要拍的电影有兴趣
You might be interested in this one we’re about to shoot actually.
那是有关一对白人夫妻
It’s about this white couple.
他们在路易斯安那州的老农庄结婚
They get married on an old plantation in Louisiana.
结果所有黑奴的魂魄都回来 谋杀所有人
Then all the slave ghosts come back, and they murder everyone.
老天 -我知道
Dear God. -I know. I know.
很棒 对吧?
It’s great, right?
电影叫做《农庄大毁灭》
It’s called Plantation Annihilation.
瑞安·雷诺兹在电影开场
Ryan Reynolds is going to get decapitated
就会被一把黑人梳砍头
with an afro pick in the opening scene.
他是我朋友
He’s a friend.
我得走了
Got to go.

Mother. Mother. Mother. Mother!
某位三楼高层动脉瘤破裂
Some ad exec on the third floor had an aneurysm.
真惨 -我知道
Awful. -I know.
想象为了厕所卫生纸广♥告♥
Imagine exploding your brain
而把脑子血管想炸
trying to think of a toilet paper commercial.
我想瓦利应该没兴趣
I assume Wiley isn’t interested.
我像疯子一样冲过来
I sprinted out of there like a complete maniac.
其实他开价四百万美金以买♥♥版权
Actually, he’s offering $4 million for the rights.
什么? -没错
What? -Yeah, man.
他说你是”绝佳人选”
He called you the real deal.
他说你一听到警车笛声就跑走了
Said you took off the moment you heard police sirens.
我表现越蠢就越有钱
The dumber I behave, the richer I get.
你终于知道 我父母为何要从波多黎各搬来
Now you know why my parents moved here from Puerto Rico.
他们不会逼我们
I mean, we can’t be expected to read
完整读完每本小说 对吧?
every novel all the way through, right?
许多人在这些书上注入很多心血
No, people have worked hard on these books.
我们得尊重这点
And we have to respect that.
努力跟尊重没有直接关系
Well, hard work doesn’t demand respect.
纳粹也很认真
I mean, you know, people worked hard on the Third Reich .
对啦 但我觉得
Yeah, well, I feel that
我们应该要好好读完 才对得起他们
we owe it to them to read every page.
真是胡说八道
That is such horseshit.
大部分的文学作品
I mean, most of it’s going to be
都是像克瑙斯加德那样的伪自传
that Knausgard auto-fiction crap, anyhow.
让我告诉你
I tell you something right now,
我才不要读600页的书
I’m not reading 600 pages about some pretentious jackwagon
去看某个蠢蛋发现自♥慰♥
discovering masturbation.
抱歉
Sorry.
听着 我们都已经很有经验
Okay, look, I think we’re all experienced enough
能够在100页内了解一本书的质量
to assess the general quality of something within 100 pages.
若你想读超过100页 请自便
If you want to read beyond that, that’s your prerogative.
你的想法呢 莫克?
Well, how do you feel, Monk?
我同意辛塔拉 我认为读100页够了
Um, I agree with Sintara, actually. I think 100 pages is sufficient.
反正这一切都没什么用
You know, this is all a crock, anyway.
比较文学作品以颁奖
I mean, pitting art against other art for awards,
假装公正客观
like, it’s not subjective.
太荒谬了
It’s absurd.
若你这么觉得 你为何还要当评审?
Then why did you agree to be a judge if you feel that way?
因为他们不选我 也会选别的布鲁克林蠢蛋
Well, because it’s either me or some other Brooklyn hack
他们的世界不会超过哈德逊河 艾琳
who doesn’t think there’s a world beyond the Hudson River, Ailene.
在布鲁克林的话是东河 丹尼尔
It’s the East River if you’re in Brooklyn, Daniel.
但这是一个机会 能让被低估的书
But I think this is an opportunity to highlight books
得到亮相的机会
that may otherwise be undervalued.
书的销量不断跳水
Book sales are plummeting right now.
也许这个奖项能让某人
So, perhaps this award can give someone
在业界闯出一番名号♥
a real chance at a career in this industry.
赞成
Hear, hear.
你想把这张画挂哪里呢 妈?
Where do you want this, Mother?
放在这里有自然光照很不错
Thought it might look nice here with this natural light.
我不在乎
I don’t care.
反正我也不喜欢那张画
I never liked that painting, anyway.
好吧
Okay.
我们下周会从家里带更多画来
Uh, well, I’ll bring some more art from home next week.
你告诉我你喜欢哪几幅 我就带过来
And you just tell me the pieces you like, and I’ll bring them.
午餐准备好了 艾里森太太
We’ve got your lunch ready for you, Mrs. Ellison.
很棒吧 这是什么?