fantastic kissers.
艾里森太太?
Mrs. Ellison?
莫克先生
Mr. Monk!
莫克先生
Mr. Monk!
我只是… -怎么了?
I just… I just… -What’s wrong?
我只是出来一下子 -怎么了?
I just stepped outside for a moment. What’s wrong?
跟米纳喝杯咖啡 就在前面而已
Having a cup of coffee with Maynard, I was right in front.
妈呢? -我不知道
Where’s Mother? I don’t know!
什么? -后门是开的
What? The backdoor was open.
她不见了 -什么?
She gone. -What?
我们分开去找她 给你
We should split up. Here.
我车上还有更多
I got more in the car.

Mother!

Mother!

Mother!

Mother.

Mother!
妈!嘿!
Mother! Hey!

Mother! Mother!
嘿 停下来
Hey! Hey, stop!
嘿 你要去哪里?
Hey! Where are you going?
莉莎在外头跟表亲起争执
Lisa’s out there roughhousing with the cousins.
有人会受伤
Somebody’s going to get hurt.
停下来 妈 我会告诉她 好吗?
Stop. Um… I will go tell her. Okay?
好 但是… -我带你回家
Yeah, but then—I’ll take you back to the house
然后我会去告诉她
and then I will go tell her.
但他们在外面 -我知道
But they’re out there. I know, I know.
你确定吗? -我会告诉她
Okay, you sure? -I will tell her.
好 -走吧
Okay. -Now, come on.
外头太冷了 -你应该…
It’s too cold out here. You should…
莉莎不太会游泳 -我知道
Okay. Lisa doesn’t swim very well. I know. I know.
好 快到了
Okay. Almost there.
没事了
All right.
很好 -走吧
Oh, good. Good.
好的 -很好
Here we go.All right.
好的 莫克
Okay, Monkie.

All right.
这是我们的图书馆
And this is our library.
里面有各种经典作品
It’s full of all the classics.
我们也会买♥♥新的书
And we try to get some new releases too.
你喜欢阅读吗 艾里森太太?
Do you like to read, Mrs. Ellison?
不喜欢
No.
才怪 她很爱读书
That’s not true. She loves to read.
是她教我爱上阅读的
She taught me to love reading.
也许我们可以买♥♥一些你儿子的书
Perhaps we can get some of your son’s books in here.
你可以带领读书会
And you can lead a book club.
抱歉
Sorry.
没关系 这对新入住居民并不容易
It’s fine. It’s hard for a lot of the residents at first.
但她会习惯的 -好
But she’ll settle in. Right.
很感谢你的帮忙
I appreciate all your help,
但你觉得她多快能住进来?
but how soon do you think we can get her in?
大概一个月
Uh, in about a month.
你如果愿意的话 今天可以开始准备文件
You can start the paperwork today if you’d like.
太好了 没问题
Great. I’d like that.
我去看你妈 好吗?
I’ll go check on your mom, okay?
谢谢
Thank you.
喂? -嘿 塞洛尼斯
Hello? – [Carl] Hey, Thelonious.
你好吗? 我叫卡尔·布朗特
How you doing? My name is Carl Brunt.
我是新英格兰图书协会的首席执行官
I am the director of the New England Book Association.
嗨 卡尔 我知道你是谁
Hi, Carl. I know who you are.
很好 那么也许你也会知道
Oh, good. Then perhaps you’ll also know
我们组织每年都会举♥行♥
that each year my organization bestows
自以为是的”文学奖”
the somewhat pretentiously named Literary Award.
每位作家都知道文学奖 卡尔
Every writer knows the Literary Award, Carl.
特别是我们这些还没得奖的人
Especially those of us who haven’t won it.
对啦
Yeah. Yeah.
这也是我打来的原因
Well, that’s sort of related to why I’m calling.
像其他许多美国组织 我们最近被批评
Like many American institutions, mine was recently rattled by the notion
因缺乏多元性
that our lack of diversity
导致奖项有其盲点
had led to a blind spot in our work.
所以我们正试图修正这点
So, you know, we’re kind of trying to remedy that.
因此 我们想知道你是否愿意
And to that end, I was wondering how you might feel
担任今年奖项的评审?
about being a judge in this year’s award ceremony?
首先 卡尔 我很荣幸
Um, let me say first, Carl, that I’m honored you choose me
你冒着被批评种族歧视的风险
out of all the Black writers you could go to out of fear
在所有黑人作家中选了我
of being called racist.
不客气
Yeah, you’re very welcome.
但我觉得这个工作很辛苦
But I think this sounds like a lot of work.
我不否认
Yeah, I can’t deny that.
你要读好几十本书
I mean, you’re going to have to read dozens of books.
我们可以提供你不错的津贴
We could offer you a modest stipend.
即便如此 我仍无法决定
Even so, I’m not sure.
好 当人们这样持观望态度时
Okay. One of the crass perk I reference
我会用一种的粗俗的方式去说服
when people are kind of on the fence like this
就是这能让你有机会
is that this will allow you the opportunity
真正去评审这些作品
to literally judge these other writers for once,
而非形而上的批评
rather than just figuratively.
好 我参加 -太棒了 很好
All right, I’m in. Well, fantastic. Okay.
很好 所以你会成为五位评审之一
Great. So you’re going to be one of five judges.
我们目前唯一确认的 只有辛塔拉·戈登
Uh, the only one we have confirmed so far is Sintara Golden.
你熟悉辛塔拉·戈登的著作吗?
Are you familiar with Sintara Golden’s work?
不太熟悉
Vaguely.
她很棒 你会喜欢她的 老兄
Oh, she’s great. You’re going to love her, man.
你的午餐带来了 莫克先生
I brought you lunch, Mr. Monk.

Oh, wow.
你怎么会对我这么好?
To what do I owe the pleasure?
我有个请求
Well, I have a favor to ask.
我想问我这个下午是否能请假
I was wondering if I might be able to take the afternoon off.
米纳刚从海滩来
Maynard just came in from the beach.
我们想去参观博物馆
And we thought it might be nice to visit a museum.
好啊 当然可以
Yes, of course.
我今天没事 我可以照顾妈
I’m free today, so I can look after Mother.
罗兰
Lorraine.
你真的很喜欢他 对吧?
You really like him, huh?
他是个不错的人
He’s a fine man.

Yeah.
第七页 有12个
Page seven. It’s got like 12.
贵宾来了
The guests of honor.
你好 艾里森太太
Hello, Mrs. Ellison.
你就像以往一样美丽
Looking beautiful as ever.
你好 阿瑟
Hello, Arthur.
莲恩 请带艾里森太太到茶水间
Layne, would you take Mrs. Ellison to the kitchen,
泡茶给她喝
and set her up with some tea?
往这边走 女士 -妈 我马上过去
Right this way, ma’am. Mother, I won’t be long.
慢慢来
Take your time.
谢谢
Thank you. -Mm-hm.
不要用茶包的 用好的茶叶 给客人喝的那种
Not the pods. The good tea, for guests.
这是什么? 我要你穿街头一点
What is this? I told you to dress street.
我有啊 -该死的芝麻街风
I did. -Fucking Sesame Street.
这家伙的名字是什么?
What’s this guy’s name?
威利? -瓦利 瓦利瓦尔斯皮诺
Willy? -Wiley. Wiley Valdespino.
他的专长是奥斯卡爱的议题电影
He specializes in Oscar-baity “issue” movies.
他去年拍了《中♥央♥走廊》
He did the Middle Passage one last year.
我没看过那部
Somehow I didn’t see that.
当然没有 你大脑又没动手术
Of course, not. You’re not lobotomized.
但如果他改编你的书
But if he adapts your book,
你将会赚一大笔钱
you stand to make a lot of money.
为什么不能打电♥话♥就好?
Why can’t we just do a phone call?
他说若他要付这么大一笔钱
Well, he said if he’s going to cut a check this large,
他需要与你亲自见面
then he needs to meet in person.
好吧