They think that we’re all like that.
那莫克 这似乎是
Then it sounds like your issue
你与白人间的问题 而不是我
is with white people, Monk, not me.
也许吧 但我也想到这个国家中
Well, maybe, but I also think that I see the unrealized potential
那些还没成功却有潜力的黑人
of Black people in this country.
“有潜力”正代表人们认为
Potential is what people see when they think
这些人目前的处境并不够好
what’s in front of them isn’t good enough.
在讨论什么呢?
So, what are we talking about?
卡罗琳
我很抱歉
我想跟你说一些事
你是否愿意跟我去参加 下周的文学奖颁奖典礼?
我们又要开始了
We’re starting again.
我马上过去
I’ll be right there.
阿瑟在吗? 对 我是莫克
Hey, can I speak to Arthur? Yeah, it’s Monk.
嘿 我没事
Hey. I’m fine.
你可以帮我安排和瓦利 再见一次面吗?
Listen, you think you can set up another meeting with Wiley?
我有些新想法
I’ve got a new idea for him.
关于另一种电影 谢啦
Different kind of movie. Thanks.
我想选《操》
I think it’s Fuck for me.
我也是 -我同意
Yeah, me too. -Yeah, I agree.
我不同意 抱歉
I disagree. I’m sorry.
我认为给这本书奖项是个错误
I think it would be a mistake to award this book anything.
票数是二比三 所以…
Well, it’s two versus three, so…
《操》是赢家
Fuck’s the winner.
《操》是赢家
Fuck is the winner.
我认为这本书不只是撼动人心
You know, it’s not just that it’s so affecting,
我也认为聆听黑人的心声是很重要的
I just think it’s essential to listen to Black voices right now.
妈
Mother.
你知道…
Did you…
你知道爸背着你偷♥情♥吗?
Did you know that Dad was cheating on you?
他很不会守密
He was bad at keeping secrets.
你为何不离开他?
Why didn’t you leave him?
他没有我会更寂寞
He would’ve been even more lonely without me.
你认为他很寂寞?
You thought he was lonely?
你♥爸♥是个天才
You father was a genius.
天才都很寂寞
Geniuses are lonely…
因为他们无法和我们产生连结
because they can’t connect with the rest of us.
你也是个天才 儿子
You’re a genius, son.
但我大多时间却没有这样的感受
Well, I certainly don’t feel like one half the time.
因为你对自己太严格了 克里夫
That’s because you’ve always been so hard on yourself, Cliffy.
现在是今晚最后一个奖项
And now for the final award for the evening.
我发誓颁完后 会让你们去吃晚餐
I promise to leave you alone, let you eat after this.
但在我宣布赢家之前
But before I announce the winner,
我想要向评审们致敬
I would like to acknowledge our judges,
这些是我们多元的评审
our incredibly diverse group of judges
他们牺牲了宝贵的时间 让我们在此共襄盛举
who’ve sacrificed valuable time, so we could all celebrate here tonight.
替他们鼓掌吧 他们非常了不起
So if you put your hands together, they did a fantastic job.
好的
Okay.
别再拖延
Without further ado,
今年的文学奖得主是
this year’s Literary Award goes to…
我就知道
Oh, I knew it.
斯塔格·R·利亚的《操》
By Stagg R. Leigh, Fuck.
我不确定利亚先生
Well, I’m not sure if Mr. Leigh is going to grace us
会在今晚现身
with his presence here tonight.
他对关注度非常敏感
He’s notoriously cagey about attention.
等等
Oh, hold on.
有些动静
Oh, okay. I see some business.
有人来了
Someone’s coming. Oh, Thelonious Ellison.
我们卓越的评审之一
One of our esteemed judges.
他诡异地朝舞台走来
Weirdly walking toward the stage.
不知道原因
No idea why.
嘿 怎么了?
Hey. What’s going on?
抱歉
Excuse me.
不好意思
Excuse me.
我想坦承一件事
I have a confession to make.
等等 画面一片黑?
Wait, wait, wait. Smash to black?
不行啦 老兄
No fucking way, dude.
这样有什么不好?
What’s wrong with that?
问题没有解决啊 他要说什么?
There’s no resolution here. What’s he going to say?
我不知道
I don’t know.
这才是有趣之处
I think that’s what’s interesting about it.
不 他应该说些什么 你说了什么?
No, he should say something. What did you say?
我什么都没说 我走出典礼
Nothing. I walked out of the ceremony.
隔天我打给你说我想创作这部电影
The next day I called you to say I wanted to write this movie.
莫克 那个角色得说些什么
Well, Monk, the character should say something.
我不希望他说些什么冠冕堂皇的话
Well, I don’t want him to make some grandiose speech spoon-feeding everyone
告诉大家这个故事的寓意
the moral of the story.
这个故事没有寓意 这才是重点
There is no moral. That’s the idea.
我喜欢模糊的感觉
I like the ambiguity.
听着 你是个好编剧 但电影就快结束了
Okay, look. You’re a good writer, and this is almost there.
但小说不是电影 好吗?
But novels aren’t movies, okay?
模糊不会换来更多票房♥
Nuance doesn’t put asses in theater seats.
我们需要一个大结局 这是什么?
We need a big finish. What is this?
这是你要的气泡水
It’s the seltzer you asked for.
为什么这是湿的?
Why is it all wet?
冷凝现象?
Condensation?
冷凝现象 好吧
Condensation. Okay.
你现在是自然大♥师♥了吗?
You’re a fucking weatherman now.
你想来点什么吗? -不用了 谢谢
You want anything? Uh, no, I’m fine. Thank you.
好 这是莫克 我们要跟他创作一部电影
All right. This is Monk. We’re going to make a movie with him
若他能把第三幕写好
if he can get the third act right.
很高兴见到你 -我也是
Nice meeting you. You as well.
给我白开水就好 不要再湿了
Get me a flat white. And, hey, never again.
好的
All right.
你脑中还有什么结局?
What other endings you got in that big brain of yours?
那这样如何…
How about if…
今年的文学奖得主是
This year’s Literary Award goes to…
斯塔格·R·利亚的《操》
by Stagg R. Leigh, Fuck.
我想道歉
I’d like to apologize.
我最近不太对劲
I haven’t been myself lately.
这样如何?
What about that?
她会原谅他吗?
Will she forgive him?
我不知道
I don’t know.
现实世界的卡罗琳不回我电♥话♥
The real Coraline won’t return my phone calls.
也许电影里的卡罗琳比较宽容
Maybe the movie Coraline is more forgiving.
不行 那样太美好了
No. It’s too pat.
让这整部电影变成浪漫喜剧
Makes the whole thing feel like a romantic comedy.
我们不是要拍浪漫喜剧
We don’t want to make a romantic comedy.
我们要拍真实的电影
We want to make something real.
给我点真实一点的结局
Give me something real.
那我们也可以…
I mean, we could just…
嘿 怎么了?
Hey, what’s going on?
抱歉
Excuse me.
滚
Beat it.
我想坦白一件事
I have a confession to make.
斯塔格·R·利亚 趴下来
Stagg Leigh, on the ground now!
他在那里
There he is!
不 我不是斯塔格·R·利亚 他不存在
No, no. I’m not Stagg Leigh. He doesn’t exist.
我是莫克 塞洛尼斯·艾里森
I’m Monk. Thelonious Ellison.
你是通缉犯 给我趴在地上
You’re a fugitive! On the ground now!
不是的
No, no, no.
这都只是营销手法
That was all a marketing gimmick.
这全是个谎言
It was all a lie. -He’s got a gun!
他有拿枪 -不
No, no! No, no!
他死了吗?
He’s dead?
警♥察♥把他干掉了?
They smoke him?
太完美了
It’s perfect.
太好了
Yes!
这实在是
That is…
太完美了
That is perfect.
该挑件礼服了 老兄
Time to pick out your tux, my brother.
这部电影一定会卖♥♥座的