and Alvin used to work the omelet station on a cruise ship.
听起来很棒 谢谢
That sounds lovely. Thank you.
很感谢你让他们留下来 -不会的
It’s very kind of you to let them stay.
跟别人的家庭打交道总是比较容易
It’s always easier dealing with other people’s families than your own.
我很遗憾要通知你 再过几小时后
I regret to inform you that in a couple hours,
这就会变成你的家人
this will be your family.
♪ Let love flow on, baby ♪
♪ Let love be free ♪
♪ I reach for you Honey, yeah ♪
♪ You reach for me ♪
♪ We’ll do the things together Only lovers do ♪
♪ Let love flow on, baby ♪
♪ We’ll do the things together Only lovers do ♪
♪ Let love flow on, baby ♪
♪ Getting into each other ♪
♪ Let’s reunite ♪
♪ And we let Love’s vibrations ♪
♪ Lead us all right ♪
♪ We’ll do the things together Only lovers do ♪
♪ Let love flow on, baby ♪
♪ We’ll do the things together Only lovers do ♪
♪ Let love flow on, baby ♪
你把她气走?
Piss her off?
对
Yeah.
不理她? -对
Shut her out? -Yeah.
爸也拒所有人于千里之外
Dad shut everyone out too.
他成天说谎
He lied all the time.
你看他那样做的结果
Look how that turned out.
我这些日子就像爸一样生气
I find myself getting very angry these days like Dad.
“这些日子”?
These days?
我最近不断思考 关于爸死前不知道我是同志这件事
I’ve been thinking a lot lately about how Dad died not knowing I’m gay.
我想他应该略知一二
I think he suspected it. -Mm.
也许吧
He may have.
但他不确定
But he didn’t know for sure.
他从没了解完整的我
He never knew the entirety of me.
现在他也没机会了
And now he never will.
这让我觉得…
And that makes me…
让我觉得很伤心
It makes me real sad.
若他知道然后拒绝与你往来呢?
Well, what if he had known and rejected you?
至少他拒绝了真正的我
At least he’d be rejecting the real me.
我知道这听起来很疯狂 但是…
I know that sounds crazy,
那会让我松一口气
but there’d be some relief in that.
听起来并没那么疯狂
It doesn’t sound so crazy.
人们想要爱你 莫克
People want to love you, Monk.
我不知道他们看上你什么
I personally don’t know what they see in you,
但是
but…
他们想要爱你
they want to love you.
你应该让他们爱全部的你
You should let them love all of you.
10《斯卡特》 9《奇怪的工作》
真烂
It was dogshit.
某位娇生惯养的蠢蛋
I mean, some mollycoddled chump
不断喋喋不休关于他死去的妈妈
faffing on about his dead mom…
有谁在乎啊?
Who cares?
这表示《站着被埋葬》第四名
Okay, so that means that Bury Me Standing is fourth.
我们来谈谈《操》吧
Let’s talk about Fuck.
可以不要吗?
Could we not?
我很喜欢
Personally, I adored it.
这就像是在直视伤口
It was like gazing into an open wound.
我同意 我认为这是我很长一段时间
I agree. I think it’s the strongest African-American novel
读过最强的非裔美国人小说
I’ve read in a long time.
但当然是读了你的书后
I mean, since yours.
无庸置疑 辛塔拉 -谢谢
Of course, Sintara. -Thank you.
我其实比我想象中还喜欢这本书
You know, I actually liked it much more than I was expecting.
这是部勇敢的作品
I mean, this is a gutsy piece of work.
是当代不可或缺的作品
And necessary for the times.
你觉得呢 辛塔拉
What did you think, Sintara?
我觉得它刻意迎合读者口味
I found it to be pretty pandering, actually.
真的吗?
You did?
对啊 你没发现吗?
Yes. Did you not?
我有发现
I very much did.
我认为它太过简化且无意义
I thought it was simplistic and meaningless.
它当然很简化
Well, of course, it was simplistic.
毕竟那是贫民区的语言
I mean, it’s the language of the gutter.
不是什么谨慎的研究所论文
You know, not some prissy graduate thesis.
“贫民区的语言” 老天
“Language of the gutter.” Jesus Christ.
我觉得我们都累了
I think our blood sugar’s low.
何不休息吃个午餐?
How about we take a break for lunch, huh?
可以 -好
Fine by me. -Okay.
太好了
Okay. -Really?
好
Okay.
噢 抱歉 -没关系
Oh, I’m sorry. Oh, no, you’re fine.
我没打扰你吧? -没有
What, I’m not interrupting? No.
《白黑鬼》
抱歉
Sorry.
你介意我问你问题吗?
Do you mind if I ask you something?
不会
Sure.
你觉得《操》在哪个部分迎合读者?
What about Fuck did you find pandering?
我很难直接指出是什么 但是…
I can’t really put my finger on it, but…
但它跟市面上其他一些小说无异
it’s not different from some of what’s out there,
但就是有种…
but it just felt…
没有灵魂的感觉
soulless…
我只能想到这种形容方式
is the word that I’m going to use.
你说你也同意 对吧?
You said you agreed, right?
对 我认为它看起来
Yeah, I do. I think it seems written
是用来迎合有罪恶感的白人读者
to satisfy the tastes of guilt-ridden white people.
对 那种书评称之为
Yeah, the kind of book critics call important
“重要”和”必要” 而非”好作品”的书
and necessary, but not well-written.
没错
Exactly.
好 请你不要感到被冒犯
Okay, so… And please don’t take offense at this,
但《操》跟你的书差别在哪里?
but how is Fuck so very different from your book?
这就是你真正想谈的事吗?
Is that what this is about?
你认为我的书很垃圾? -不
You think my book’s trash? -No.
老实说 我还没读过你的书
To be honest, I haven’t read your book.
我有读过片段 但我看不出来
I’ve read excerpts and it didn’t seem
差别在哪里
so dissimilar.
我为了我的书做了许多研究
I did a lot of research for my book.
有些是直接来自真正的访问
Some of it was actually taken from real interviews.
也许你在学术象牙塔待太久了
Maybe you’ve been up in your ivory tower of academia for so long
你已经忘记人们的生活有多辛苦
you’ve forgotten that some people’s lives are hard.
那你呢?
Your life?
你上了特别的艺术大学
You went to an exclusive bohemian college.
你在纽约的高级出版社工作
You had a job at a fancy publishing house in New York.
又怎样? 我不需要写我的生活
So what? I don’t need to write about my life.
我写人们有兴趣的事
I write about what interests people.
你写的是白人出版社感兴趣 打击黑人创伤的煽情内容
You write what interests white publishers fiending Black trauma porn.
毕竟他们才是买♥♥家
They’re the one buying the manuscripts.
迎合他们的口味很糟糕吗?
Is it bad to cater to their tastes?
若你愿意迎合人们的欲望以获益
If you’re okay feeding people’s base desires for profit–
我也认为迎合市场没有问题
I’m okay with giving the market what it wants.
这就是毒贩为自己找的借口
That’s how drug dealers excuse themselves.
我认为毒品应该要合法化
And I think drugs should be legal.
但你不觉得受够了吗?
But you’re not fed up with it?
贫穷的黑人?
You know, Black people in poverty?
饶舌的黑人?
Black people rapping?
为奴的黑人?
Black people as slaves?
黑人被警♥察♥谋杀?
Black people murdered by the police?
各种煽情的文章 -够了
Old soaring narratives about… Okay.
关于悲惨的黑人
Black folks in dire circumstances
直到死前都仍在奋斗保卫尊严
who still managed to maintain their dignity before they die?
我不是说这些事情都是假的
I mean, I’m not saying these things aren’t real,
但我们其实不只如此
but we’re also more than this.
所以像你这样的作者们
And it’s like so many writers like you can’t envision us
不能让白人掐着脖子创作
without some white boot on our necks.
你会生气布雷特·伊斯顿·艾利斯 或查理·布考斯基
Do you get angry at Bret Easton Ellis or Charles Bukowski
写了受压♥迫♥者的文章
for writing about the downtrodden?
还是你只对黑人女性愤怒?
Or is your ire strictly reserved for Black women?
没人读布考斯基后认为
Nobody reads Bukowski thinking
他就代表了白人经验
his is the definitive white experience.
但人们 特别是白人 读了你的书就认定我们就是如此
But people, white people, read your book and confine us to it.
他们认为我们都是那样