Good God, he’s got his voice back.
我们需要你回伦敦 马上
We need you back in London straightaway!
我头壳坏了
Bollocks.
威伯
Wilber!
-你看起来很好 -我淋湿又虚弱
-You look fine. Fine. -I look wet and feeble.
倒是你看来像冒险故事人物
You, however, look disgustingly like a lusty adventurer from a storybook.
快 我叫车了 其他人在等
Come on. I’ve got a coach. The others are waiting for us at Palace Yard.
-不是该盥洗睡觉了吗 -睡觉
-Don’t I get to wash or sleep? -Sleep?
你一点都没变 威廉
You haven’t changed at all, William.
这个会议邀请到…
I called this meeting to
印度回来的詹姆士史蒂芬
welcome back James Stephen from the Indies.
他要亲自说几句话
But he should speak for himself.
我这里有图表和第一手资料
I have here diagrams, first-hand accounts and transcripts of trials
还有无辜非洲人的判决书副本
where innocent Africans have been convicted of crimes they did not commit
他们没罪却活活被烧死
and were then burnt alive.
有成千成万的资料
There are pages and pages and pages
和第一手的数据和统计结果
of first-hand accounts and figures and statistics.
岛民造♥反♥ 海地黑人掌权
On every island now, there are rebellions. Haiti is in the hands of slaves.
黑奴们期盼自♥由♥
And the slaves are anxious. They’re impatient for their freedom.
也听过我们
They hear about your work here.
我看到一个女人和她女儿被打
I saw a woman and her child being beaten…
就在咖啡园
…in a coffee field.
那个女人后来告诉女儿
Afterwards, I heard the woman tell her daughter
有人将远渡重洋来救他们
that someone was coming across the sea to save them.
她说那个人是威伯福斯国王
She said it was King Wilberforce.
各位 这次我们一定要成功
So this time, gentlemen, we must not fail them.
怎么了 詹姆士
What is it, James?
对黑奴来说这不只是游戏
This is not a game for them.
我们知道
We know that.
我的意思是还不够
What I mean is, it’s not enough.
就算证据在国会
If we go to Parliament with this evidence,
引发关切同情
there’ll be sympathy, there’ll be concern,
但情况还是跟以前一样
but it’ll be just the same as every other time.
你是来挫众人的士气
Have you come back to preach hopelessness?
不 我有个想法
No. No, I’ve had an idea.
我不经意翻了我的法律书
In my law books I might have stumbled across something
我想出了一个策略
and I want to propose it as a strategy.
Nosus Decipi
Nosus Decipi
这是拉丁文
It’s Latin.
大致翻译为…
Loosely translated, it means…
“兵不厌诈”
…”we cheat”.
真是的
Oh, God.
什么事都不重要
I don’t care how important this is.
我先打完
I’ll finish my shot.
到底什么事
Oh, for God’s sakes, what is it?
我们做出决定
We’ve decided…
我们今年不提废奴法案
We’ve decided not to bring forward an abolition bill.
不提
No?
对 不提
Indeed not.
我们换谈挂中立旗的船
We’re going to address the issue of the use of neutral flags on cargo ships.
那多无趣
How unutterably dull.
没错
Exactly.
法国船一旦挂
We’re going to suggest that French cargo ships sailing
美国国旗
under the American flag of convenience
就不容易被私掠
be liable to seizure by privateers.
我们会大谈战争和爱国心
Part of the war effort. Patriotism, all that.
你们何时开始对这些有兴趣
Since when have you been interested in the war effort, patriotism and all that?
我们没兴趣
I’m not.
那我能继续打球吗
So… I’ll continue with my game?
你没发现暗藏玄机吗
You don’t see anything sinister in that measure?
没有
No.
那议员们也不会
Then neither will they.
你们究竟在说什么
What the hell are you talking about?
开往印度群岛的黑奴船
80 percent of all slave ships sailing to the Indies
有八成挂着中立的美国国旗
are flying the neutral American flag
免得被私掠
to prevent them from being boarded by privateers.
要是禁止挂中立旗的法案通过
If we pass a law removing that protection,
船主就不敢出航
no ship owner will allow his vessel to make the journey.
法国船才会受影响 英国没用
This will only apply to French ships, not British.
这就是重点
That’s the beauty of it.
船只一旦挂上美国国旗
Once any ship raises the American flag,
法律上就不是法国或英国船
by law it is neither French nor British.
所以黑奴船就容易被私掠
So our slave ships will be just as liable to seizure as French ones.
私掠者不会在乎真正船主
The privateers won’t care whose booty they’re taking,
只要不违法
as long as they’re operating within the law.
没有中立旗的保护
Without the protection of neutral flags,
英国八成的黑奴买♥♥卖♥♥会消失
80 percent of the British slave trade will be finished overnight.
没想到
Dear God.
不过 首相
But Prime Minister, we need to…
这个法案得声东击西
…tuck this bill away somewhere.
要遮人眼目
Disguise it. Oh.
我甚至得在议会噤若寒蝉
I won’t even get on my feet in the House.
这样就不会联想到废奴
This would still fall short of abolition.
两年内黑奴贩就走投无路消失
With their profits cut, half the slavers will be bankrupt in two years.
我们再分别击退各个议员
Then we’ll pick off their MPs in the House one by one.
谁想出这主意的
Whose idea was this?
一个律师朋友
A lawyer.
反法国条款等于支持废奴
Anti-French bill which is also
我怎么以前没想到
anti-slavery.
这件事需要秘密进行
Don’t know why I didn’t think of this any sooner.
你得帮我找个爱国议员提法案
But we can’t let anyone know that we’re behind this.
不必找显眼的
Instruct someone to put this bill forward who’s seen as a patriot.
只需要一个无趣至极的议员
We don’t want any fuss. We just need someone really, really… boring.
通常法国船会申请挂美国国旗
Typically, a French ship will change its registration
在哈瓦那把一箱箱糖装船
to raise the American flag and pick up a cargo of sugar in Havana.
再开到卡罗来纳州
It will then sail to Carolina
及维吉尼亚州或佛罗里达州
or Virginia or Florida
甚至纽约和波士顿
or New York City or even Boston.
接着货物会卸到另一艘船
The cargo will then be unloaded onto a second ship
同样挂美国国旗 但驶回法国
carrying the American flag and set sail for France.
如此 皇家海军或合法私掠船
As things stand, neither the Royal Navy nor licensed privateers
都没有权力碰这艘船
have power to seize such a ship.
我提议所有挂美国国旗的船
My proposition is that all the ships flying the American flag
都应该接受检查或没收
be liable to search and seizure
以终止法国船的卑劣手法
to put an end to this lamentable deceit on the part of the French
甚至荷兰和西班牙船在内
and their Dutch and Spanish allies.
议长 废奴人士一定在绕圈子
Mr Speaker! I believe the abolitionists are coming at us at a side wind.
绕什么圈子
A side wind? What kind of side wind?
我不确定 但事有蹊跷
I’m not sure what kind of side wind. I just know there’s something going on.
乱贼叛党想偷天换日了
The Jacobites are in.
乱贼叛党
The Jacobites?
我建议你骂人也要跟上时代
Really, I do think you might update your invective to reflect changing times.
现在请求休会来得及吗
Am I too late to call for an adjournment?
当然来不及
Of course you are.
你能让那位议员继续了吗
Now, will you let the honourable gentleman proceed?
如前所述
As I was saying…
我提议所有挂美国国旗的船
…my proposition is that all ships flying the American flag
都应该接受检查或没收
be liable to search and seizure to put an end to this lamentable deceit
以终止法国船的卑劣手法
on the part of the French, Dutch and Spanish.
杰克森 快把其他议员找来
-Jackson, get into the chamber. -Right, sir.
议员 快回议会
Camber, chamber! Move your arse!
怎么了
What’s going on?
快回议会
Just do it!
大家到底跑哪儿了
Where the hell is everyone?
都被招待去赌马 放弃投票了
Everybody’s at the races in Epsom. They were given free tickets.
威伯也打算免费招待你去
I saved one for you. A free gift from William Wilberforce.
威伯
Wilby?
到底怎么了 女佣都吓到了
What on earth is happening? The poor maids are terrified.
-我去拿你的鸦♥片♥ -不
-I’ll bring your laudanum. -No! No!
我早上全丢了 一滴不剩
I’ve poured it all away this morning. Every drop.
-那我想办法去找一点 -不 我不想再靠鸦♥片♥

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!