你们会两败俱伤
And perhaps if I duck, you’ll shoot each other.
安静
Order.
安静
Order.
首先 我要声明
First, let me be clear.
我考虑很久并谘询不少人
After long consideration and much consultation,
我赞成废奴法案
I am in favour of the abolition of the slave trade.
我深信奴隶制度侮蔑人性
There’s no doubt in my mind that this trade in human beings
对我们国家造成羞耻和侮辱
is an almighty calumny and is a disgrace to this nation.
然而 我也听从利物浦
However… I also take the point of my honourable friend,
议员的劝告
the member for Liverpool.
要是我们明天就废止奴隶
If we were to outlaw the trade tomorrow, it would bring financial disaster
立即会引起全国经济恐荒
to many cities and industries in this country.
我建议应该评估一段时间
I therefore suggest a period of reflection.
议会已经秘密调查一年半
After a year and a half of privy council investigations,
势在必行的事何必再评估
what good would it do to delay the inevitable?
势在必行 选票结果出来了吗
Inevitable? Is my honourable friend counting the votes before they are cast?
我不是这个意思
I didn’t mean that.
就算要废奴也要循序渐进
If the trade were to be abolished, I suggest that we do so gradually.
欲速则不达
Violent storms sink ships.
我们不能危害国家
This great ship of state must not be sunk
即使理由正当
by a wave of good intentions.
他们比我们聪明
They are cleverer than us, Thomas.
还不一定
And yet…
议院外的民众支持我们
…outside the House of Commons, the mood is with us.
那有什么用
And what good is that?
我法国有朋友
I have friends in France.
他们愿意支持我们 像我们一样有信念的人
Our counterparts. Men of principle, like you and I.
-他们带来好消息 -什么消息
-They bring me only good news. -News of what?
革命
Revolution.
他们深信革命将至
They’re certain it’s coming.
他们在巴黎街头提倡解放
In Paris they speak openly in the streets of emancipation.
宣称全人类都应享有自♥由♥
Freedom for all men, and women too.
美国人证明革命会成功 威伯
The Americans pulled the cork out of the bottle, Wilberforce.
现在法国人也想革命
Now the French share the wine.
你把革命讲得很安全
You talk about revolution as if it were a safe thing.
那只是一个名词
It’s just a word.
我们每天循序改进 像教育…
Every day we change things, by degrees. Education, factories.
循序 跟唐达斯的用词如出一辙
By degrees. You sound like Dundas! Gradually.
不完美强过什么都没有
An imperfect order’s better than no order.
不 我们要的是完美
We must fight for a perfect order!
我宣誓过要效忠国王
I’ve pledged an allegiance to the king.
你也明白国王疯了
You know as well as I do… the king is insane.
他跟橡树握手
He shakes hands with oak trees
还说用望远镜看得到德国
and claims he can see Germany through his telescope.
我知道你爱国
I know you have your loyalties, Wilberforce,
但你心里比我们都激进
but underneath it you’re more radical than any of us.
你从未怀疑自己的信念
You see, you never doubt you’re right.
那些奴隶活生生地存在
What we say of the slave is true of the worker in the field,
他们是农奴 织工和矿工
the weaver, the miner.
他们不该享受自♥由♥富足
Shouldn’t they be free to prosper too,
塔雷顿那种人该坐享其成
instead of the fruits of their labours going to men like Tarleton?
那些家伙拿到钱就去看戏嫖♥妓♥
Men who spend their money on whores and comic operas.
年轻女孩误入歧途
Young girls debauched.
士兵被迫投降
Soldiers forced to beg.
革命方兴未艾 威伯
It’s a natural wave that’s flowing, Wilber.
先是波士顿 然后巴黎
First Boston, then Paris.
接着就是伦敦
Next London.
汤玛士
Thomas…
在我面前别再提到革命
…you must never speak of revolution in my presence ever again.
我要到巴黎亲眼目睹
I’m going to Paris to see for myself.
你要跟我去吗
Why don’t you come with me?
亲自感受那股潮流
Drink some of that wine?
非洲 你的苦难
Africa, your sufferings have been a theme
是我心中奋斗的目标
that has engaged and arrested my heart.
你的苦难
Your sufferings…
难以说明
…no tongue can express,
言语无法形容
no language impart.
上帝给我两项任务
God has set before me two great objects:
废除奴隶
The suppression of the slave trade
和改造社会
and the reformation of society.
先生
Sir!
玛吉利
Marjorie.
医生 他的问题就是…他完全不关心
The trouble is, Doctor, he doesn’t believe he has a body.
自己身体
Utterly careless of it. He, um…
他认为信念可战胜一切
He thinks he’s a disembodied spirit.
或许你该离开伦敦休养一阵子
Perhaps you should spend some time away from London.
-那是什么 -止痛的鸦♥片♥
-What’s this? -Laudanum, for the pain.
我不要鸦♥片♥ 我要保持头脑清醒
An opiate? No, no, no. I need my mind sharp.
你要休息
You need to rest.
议院三周后要表决我的法案
My bill is before the House in three weeks.
-您方便离开一下吗 医生 -是的 首相
-Would you leave us a moment, Doctor? -Yes, Prime Minister.
五年前你首次在议院提出法案
It’s now five years since you first brought this bill to the House.
每次都接近成功一步
And each time we get a little closer.
威伯 其他人能帮你挑下重担
Wilberforce, there are other MPs who could carry the debate.
谁 说一个看看
Who? Name one.
我唯一能信任的人是你
The only man I would trust is you.
你能吗
Well?
你明白我不能公开跟国王作对
I can’t be seen to openly oppose the king
就算巴黎街头涌起革命声浪
when the streets of Paris run with blood.
你八卦新闻读太多
You’ve read too many lurid newspaper articles.
法国新政♥府♥打算今年宣战
The French Republic plans to declare war within the year.
对谁
On who?
什么 你没注意外界情势吗
On who? You’re locked inside your own head!
对我们英国
Us, Great Britain, everything we stand for!
关心一下时局 你交错朋友了
Considering the situation, you mix with the wrong people.
-交错什么朋友 -比如卡森
-Who do I mix with? -Clarkson, for one.
-是谁介绍我认识卡森的 -这次情况不同
-Who introduced me to Clarkson? -In different times.
有人说卡森是法国间谍
They say in the caf閟 that Clarkson’s a French spy.
至于伊奎诺
And Equiano,
有人说他出生在美国卡罗来纳州
they say he was born in Carolina,
既然是美国人 当然支持革命
and as an American, therefore must be a revolutionary.
还有人说亲眼看见…
Others say they’ve seen with their own eyes
美国汤玛斯杰佛逊写信给你
letters addressed to you from Thomas Jefferson.
这些跟废奴无关
On matters to do with abolition.
战争改变一切
War changes everything.
甚至友谊
Even friendships?
友谊才脆弱
Especially those!
所以你想保持良知
So you will keep your precious conscience intact
其他人则替战争收烂摊子
and let the rest of us do the war’s dirty work.
良知确实重要
Conscience is indeed precious.
身为首相我告诫你
I am warning you as your prime minister
战时反对党等于是叛乱份子
that when war comes, opposition will soon be called sedition!
谁定义的
By who?
你吗
By you?
心灵的宗教
今天我想重谈废奴法案
This evening I would like to return to the theme of abolition.
动荡时代人们容易
In these dangerous times, it is easy to put aside
丧失怜悯心
our concerns for those in need
只为了确定自己的爱国心
simply to confirm our loyalty to the nation.
但战争和奴隶两议题 不可混为一谈
But the issues of war and the issues of slavery must not be confused.
对于未知敌人的恐惧
Our fear of an unknown enemy must not be allowed
绝不能侵蚀宝贵的自♥由♥
to erode our long-cherished liberties.
否则 英国历史会变得难堪
If this is to happen, how bitter will our history be?
我们不能逃避其他政♥治♥话题
We must not prohibit all political discussion of political subjects.
废奴法案同等重要
The issue of slavery is not made any less important
就算发生不相干的战争
by the unrelated issues of war!
无论战争或和平
In war or in peace, the buying and selling of human beings
奴隶买♥♥卖♥♥同样令人憎恶
is equally abhorrent!
这并非煽动的言论
This is not a seditious statement!
你的鸦♥片♥呢 我帮你准备
Where is your laudanum? I’ll prepare it for you.
不 故事还没说完