How did you survive?
生死一线间 线没断就活下来
Your life is a thread. It breaks or it doesn’t break.
上船之前我是王子
Before I travelled in a ship like this,
很多地方都和你们一样
I was a prince, in many ways not unlike you.
我记得离开非洲的那天好美
It was a beautiful day like no other, the last day I saw my home in Africa.
我带着一颗沉重的心来到议会
It is with a heavy heart that I bring to the attention of this House
唤您注意奴隶制度多么残忍♥
a trade which degrades men to the level of brutes
对人性造成多大侮辱
and insults the highest qualities of our common nature.
我决定为废奴抗争
I am speaking of… the slave trade.
我知道有不少议员同僚
I know that many of my honourable friends in this House
从贩卖♥♥黑奴中得到好处
have interests in the Indies.
也有人投资农场或当船主
Others have investments in plantations. Others are ship owners.
我相信黑奴具有人性
And I believe them to be men of humanity.
我相信你们都有人性
I believe you all to be men of humanity.
要是成千上万的
If the wretchedness of any one of the many hundreds
不幸黑奴
of slaves stowed in their ships
在昏暗船舱中能够重见光明
could be brought to view…
安静 安静
Order! Order!
我没听错吧
I can hardly believe my ears.
你没说错话吧
We can hardly believe your mouth.
看来我们的年轻议员
It seems my young friend opposite
打算长♥期♥抗战
has a long-term strategy
设法破坏养他这么多年的国家
to destroy the very nation that spawned him.
我在美国维吉尼亚战中失去手指
While I was in Virginia losing my fingers in battle with the Americans,
他却忙着讨好美国人
he was busy appeasing them.
现在还想把印度群岛的财富 拱手让给可恶的法国人
Now he would hand over the riches of the Indies to the bloody French!
没有黑奴就没有农场
lf… If we didn’t have slaves, there would be no plantations.
没有农场怎么充实国库
And with no plantations, how would we fill the coffers of the king?
各位议员
Does my honourable friend
你们真的相信一旦废除奴隶…
really believe that if we left off the trade,
法国不会取而代之 坐享其成
the French wouldn’t immediately step into our place and reap the rewards?
客人不多却准备这么多食物
All this food. There’s only a handful of people in there.
先生是无可救药的乐观主义者
He’s an optimist. Completely incurable.
我们早料到今天在议院会挫败
Our defeat in the House today was not unexpected.
但这次的目的是刺♥激♥反对党
But our intention was to flush out the opposition
看议院有多少人支持我们
and discover how many people would support us.
很明显我们找到支持者
Yes, well, we certainly found out who our friends are.
就是我们16位
All 16 of them.
我寄感谢卡给所有支持者
I… I sent a note of thanks to everyone who voted for us.
还真贴心哩
How sweet of you.
我们之中还是有人懂得服输精神
Some of us know how to take defeat graciously.
那代价不小
Something to with with breeding?
今天的情况无可厚非
On this occasion, it probably is.
各位 会议中的谈话都会记录
Everything that is said at this meeting is being taken down for our records.
詹姆士史蒂芬同意当我们的秘书
My friend James Stephen has agreed to be our secretary.
各位好
You were saying?
你们看得出接受邀请的议员不多
As you can see, not many MPs have responded to our invitation.
除了自己人 只有威廉道班爵士
Indeed, outside my own family, there is only one: Sir William Dolben.
威廉爵士 您怎么会过来呢
Sir William, what brings you to this gathering?
我最近从狮子山搭黑奴船回来
I recently took passage from Sierra Leone aboard a slave ship.
这15天的景象惨不忍♥睹
What I saw during those 15 days…
我相信还有不少议员感同深受
But I believe there are plenty of others in the House who share your feelings.
只是他们不敢说
They’re just afraid to show it.
真可耻
Shame on them!
一点都不可耻
No shame. No shame.
若我是港都代表 我敢说吗
Were I the representative of a port city,
支持废奴等于
how could I tell those whom I represent
危及当地生计
that I’m voting to end their livelihood?
没错
Exactly so.
安静
Please!
我们应该订定初步计划
Perhaps we should begin this journey with the first step.
我们谈的是真♥相♥
We are talking about the truth.
所以得让人♥民♥知道真♥相♥
So we should hand it out to people. Drop it from church roofs.
画图或谱曲 使大家了解
Paint pictures of it. Write songs about it. Make bloody pies out of it.
提巴利港口有一艘黑奴船
Go on.
载了投保两倍的黑奴
There is a slave ship at dock in Tilbury
我确定是真的
with twice the slave berths it is insured for.
但我们如何证明呢
I know that for a fact. But how do we prove it?
威伯
Wilber.
老天爷
Dear God.
也算是吧
Well, almost.
我一年半来被你骂臭头
I’ve spent 18 months being torn apart by you in the House, Mr Wilberforce.
我想知道跟你同一阵线的感觉
I thought I’d find out what it feels like to be on your side.
你准备不少食物嘛
I see you’ve got plenty of food.
你们这些圣人不喝酒吗
Any of you saints drink?
我陪你喝
Well, this one bloody does.
谢谢你
Thank you very much.
不公平
Not fair! Not fair.
我胃痛跑不快
I’m not well. My belly.
你胃怎么了
What’s wrong with your belly?
何况你是首相
Besides, you’re prime minister.
我有义务让你赢
It is my ministerial duty to let you win.
福斯的事怎么处理
So, what will we do with Fox?
保持神秘
Put him in a box?
不 让他造成骚动
Let him throw the heavy rocks.
引起震惊
Provide the shocks.
这样塔雷顿会左右为难
Put Lord Tarleton in the stocks.
若上议院知道我们口无遮拦
Oh, if the House of Lords could hear the idiotic way we carry on,
他们准会规定满三十岁才能当官
they’d ban anyone under the age of 30 from holding high office ever again.
福斯挺我们 大家对我们会改观
Well, at least with Fox on board, the world will know we mean business.
但没什么人知道
The world doesn’t know yet.
我们准备好再宣布
Nor will it, not until we’re ready.
我们天生就正义使者 威伯
You were born for this, Wilber.
有时我不明白
Sometimes I get giddy.
为何停下来脚上的刺就痛
Why is it you only feel the thorns in your feet when you stop running?
你想暗示我什么 庇特
Is that some sort of heavy-handed metaphorical advice for me, Mr Pitt?
对 没错
Yes, I suppose it is.
我们绝不能停
We must keep going, keep going fast.
各位 音乐停一下 谢谢
Gentlemen, would you stop the music, please? Thank you.
先生女士 希望这趟您玩得愉快
Ladies and gentlemen, I hope you have enjoyed our little tour of the estuary.
航行结束前我想说些话
But now our sojourn is almost over, I have a confession to make.
这趟的目的 不只奖励支持我多年的议员
This trip wasn’t purely arranged to reward those MPs
我也不是唯一的主办者
who have supported me in the past year, nor am I the only sponsor.
他来干嘛
What’s he doing?
先生女士 这是一艘黑奴船
Ladies and gentleman,
船名是”马达加斯加”
this is a slave ship. The Madagascar.
刚从印度群岛驶回
It has just returned from the Indies
送两百个非洲男女幼童到牙买♥♥加
where it delivered 200 men, women and children to Jamaica.
离开非洲时有六百人
When it left Africa, there were 600 on board.
其他人因疾病或绝望死了
The rest died of disease or despair.
这臭味是死亡的味道
That smell is the smell of death.
缓慢痛苦地死亡
Slow, painful death.
你们闻
Breathe it in.
深吸几口
Breathe it deeply.
别用手帕遮了
Take those handkerchiefs away from your noses.
就是这股臭味
There, now.
请记得这个味道
Remember that smell.
记得马达加斯加
Remember the Madagascar.
记得上帝造人 生而平等
Remember that God made men equal.
整个冬天我们四处奔波
All that winter, we spread out across the country
收集证据
gathering evidence for Parliament.
汤玛士去布里斯托 利物浦
Thomas rode to Bristol, Liverpool, Plymouth,
探访黑奴船的工作人员或医生
talking to men who’d worked the slave ships, ships’ doctors who’d treated them,
还有被鞭打和烙印的黑奴们
slaves themselves who’d been whipped and branded.
伊奎诺出版黑奴岁月的自传
Equiano published his account of his years as a slave.
两个月卖♥♥了五万本
He sold 50, 000 copies in two months.
支持者开始只买♥♥非黑奴产地的糖
Our supporters began to only buy sugar produced without slaves in India.
只卖♥♥非黑奴产地的糖
有些人干脆不吃糖
Or they stopped using sugar altogether.
我们的宣导似乎打入社会各角落
It seemed our message was everywhere.
至少现在看来充满希望 真正的希望
At least now there was hope. Real hope.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!