他们的街道流着黑奴的血和泪
All their streets running with blood, dysentery, puke!
你绝对忘不了那些恐怖景像
You won’t come away from those streets clean, Wilber.
你会沾上污秽且梦魇不断
You’ll get filthy with it, you’ll dream it,
清醒时也抹灭不去
see it in broad daylight.
但为了上帝放手做吧
But do it. For God’s sake.
先生 汤玛士卡森先生来了
Sir, I have Mr Thomas Clarkson.
抱歉 先生刚才还在
Forgive me. Mr Wilberforce was here a moment ago.
我去找他
I’d better go and find him.
午安
Good afternoon.
抱歉吓到你
Sorry if I alarmed you.
我照黑奴舱床尺寸订做这个箱子
I had this box made up in the exact dimensions of a slave berth.
刚好你示♥威♥时能派上用场
I thought you could use it in your practical demonstrations.
你为何等到管家离开才出来
Why did you wait until your butler had left before you got out of the box?
怕他们以为我又疯了
They all think I’m mad already.
我提法案时议员们也会这么想
As will most people in the House of Commons when I present my bill.
威伯福斯
Wilberforce, conditions in Jamaica
牙买♥♥加的情形比想像中残忍♥
are far more brutal than I could have imagined.
许多孩子在糖厂被烫死
Many children are scalded to death by the molten lava.
或者累到掉进火坑被烧死
Others die of exhaustion or roll into the fires in their sleep.
换来的只是一点高级纯糖
The result in the morning is a few pounds of pure, refined sugar.
威伯 你没事吧
Wilberforce, are you all right?
现在…
坐起来
Sit up for me.
把这个喝下
Here, drink this.
怎么了
What happened?
我读詹姆士从牙买♥♥加寄来的信
I read James’s letter from Jamaica.
睡着梦到自己好像活在那里
When I fell asleep, it was as if I were living inside it.
也许医生给的鸦♥片♥有副作用
Perhaps the laudanum the doctor gave you is badly mixed.
我知道鸦♥片♥的副作用 亨利
I know the effects of opium, Henry.
不是药物造成的
This isn’t the medication.
那是什么
What, then?
我被选上却没达成使命
I was chosen for this task and I failed.
我心中有声音叫我别放弃
Some part of me does not accept the idea that I’ve given up.
我会稀释鸦♥片♥浓度
I’ll dilute this.
我的感受能稀释吗
Can you dilute what I feel?
你为了这个法案牺牲青春和健康
You’ve given your youth and your health for this cause.
该是换人拚命的时候
It’s time to let someone else try.
威伯福斯先生
So, Mr Wilberforce…
我知道你对植物很感兴趣
…I understand you have an interest in botany.
植物 史普纳小姐 谁说我对
Botany, Miss Spooner? Whatever gives you the idea that I might be interested
植物感兴趣
in something as tedious as botany?
抱歉 很冷的笑话
Sorry. It’s a private joke.
威伯 我知道你对植物没兴趣
Now, Wilber, I know you’re not interested in botany,
但这里有遍地蔓延的美丽常春藤
but there’s a fascinating creeping ivy up the far end
就在花♥园♥的另一头
of the garden.
芭芭拉 你也想看吧 一起去啊
Barbara, you really must go and see it too.
我们假装吵架闹他们
To irritate them, let’s pretend to argue.
-吵什么 -想看看有什么
-What about? -Something we disagree on.
我们看法不同的事
Think of something.
谈英法战争
The war in France.
我想我们应和拿破仑和解
I think we should settle with Napoleon right now.
我也是
So do I.
谈教育
Schools.
我支持你提倡全民教育
I’m a member of your movement for free education.
我同意你在戴尔斯厂说的每句话
I agreed with every word you said on the Dales factory debate.
你听懂我每句话
You read every word?
不尽然
No.
我自己也是
Neither did I.
谈琴酒好了
Gin.
希望伦敦人把啤酒换成琴酒
Replace it in the cities with beer.
赞成
Absolutely.
很少人支持我反对虐待动物
I’m definitely alone in my opinions about animals.
不 我有参加你的反虐待社团
No. I joined your society for the prevention of cruelty.
我是怪人 养狐狸和宠物鼠
Well, I’m extreme. I have a pet fox, a pet rat
甚至一只不会飞的乌鸦
and a crow that can’t fly.
我还养野兔 对它太好结果死了
I used to have a pet hare, but it died of kindness.
谈美国
America.
我们得再评估集体政♥治♥程序
We must reassess the power of the collective political process.
同意
Agreed.
我们也都支持奴隶制度
Oh, and, of course, we are agreed on slavery.
我反对教堂种花 你呢
I’m against flowers in church. What do you say to that?
我赞成
I am for them.
其实我也是
As am I.
我不该谈废奴的事吗
I shouldn’t talk about the slave trade?
我已经谈了太多年
I’ve spent so many years talking about it.
那多谈几分钟呢
So, what are a few more minutes?
我记得庇特刚当首相的时候
When Mr Pitt first became prime minister,
你俩就像流星雨般点亮想像
the two of you were like meteorites shooting through our imagination.
谁的想像
Whose imaginations?
我们年轻女孩
Girls my age.
你也是反对奴隶制度的一员
You stopped taking sugar in your tea?
我还戴维吉伍德生产的废奴徽章
I wore an abolition badge made by Josiah Wedgwood.
他很支持我们
He was a good friend to us.
我雨天大老远赶去听卡森演讲
And I travelled 30 miles in the rain to hear Thomas Clarkson speak.
-他的吼声没把你弄聋吧 -我大开眼界
-Did he deafen you? -He opened my eyes.
我也遇过非洲人
I met the African.
伊奎诺
Equiano.
他带来一百本亲手签名的书
He came to town with a hundred copies of his book.
一小时全部抢♥购♥一空
They sold in an hour.
你也签过我们的请♥愿♥书
You signed our petitions.
不下百次
A hundred times.
不下百次的三百万人连署
A hundred times. Three million names,
烧掉好几打蜡烛才看完
a million candles to read them by.
一定很振奋人心
Must have been so exciting.
振奋
Exciting?
就像春天黄水仙开始绽放
It seemed that every spring the daffodils came out,
夏天樱桃树成熟
every summer the cherries ripened
秋天威伯福斯会在议院提出法案
and every autumn William Wilberforce would present his bill to the House.
然而…
And still…
然而
And still…?
徽章 请♥愿♥ 演讲和法案都没用
And still, after all the badges, the petitions, all the speeches and the bills,
载满可怜黑奴的船还是照常出航
ships full of human souls in chains sail around the world as cargo!
对不起
I’m sorry.
所以我说不该谈政♥治♥
This is why I shouldn’t talk about it.
我认为你该谈
I think you should.
看吧 找到吵架的话题了
There. We’ve found something we disagree on.
“希望我不是”
“Am I not a man whose soul is drawn to heaven
“被天堂抛弃的非洲心灵”
like water from the dark well of Africa?”
引自伊奎诺的书
From Equiano’s book.
他是个非凡人物
He was a man like no other.
请告诉我他的事
Please, tell me about him.
我觉得你若有不爽的事
It seems to me that if there is a bad taste in your mouth,
你会一吐为快
you spit it out.
你不是那种退缩噤声的人
You don’t constantly swallow it back.
我认识他不久
Not long after I first met him,
他邀请我到东印度港
he asked me to come to the East India Dock.
说要带我看艘船
He said there was a ship I should see.
一艘他了若指掌的船
A ship he knew well.
伊奎诺先生
Mr Equiano.
这边请
This way.
谢谢 先生
Thank you, sir.
黑奴贩子要我们躺这里
They make you lie in this space.
铁链铐得我们身体四肢都脱臼
The shackles dislocate your hip or your shoulder.
痛得无法忍♥受
You are in pain all the way around the world.
船开多久
How long is the journey?
天气好也要三周
Three weeks, if the weather is good.
他们有时为了寻乐把女人倒吊
For amusement, they sometimes hang the women from these,
再强♥暴♥她们
by the ankles, to rape them.
遇上暴风雨就抓出生病的人
In stormy weather, they take the very sickest
丢到海里减轻船的重量
and throw them into the sea to lighten the ship’s load.
你怎么活下来的

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!