十八世纪末为止
一千一百多万的非洲男女与幼童
被送到西印度群岛和美国当奴隶
英国当时是全世界最强盛的国家
其帝国的建立就是靠黑奴劳力
全英国仅有少数人反对奴隶制度
其中又只有几个人敢站出来说话
奇异的恩典
英格兰 1797
快 快 懒货
Go on! Go on, you lazy nag!
停一下
Stop a moment!
威伯 你身体还没好
Wilber. Wilber, you’re not well enough.
这次就别管了
For once, let it pass.
别打了 它待会就跑得动
If you leave your horse alone for an hour, he might recover.
你以为你是谁
And who the hell are you?
我在伦敦看过他演讲
I’ve seen him speak in London.
他是威廉威伯福斯
That’s William Wilberforce.
-现在怎么办 -算了 别打了
-Now what? -Leave it.
-欢迎回家 先生 -这么晚才到
-Welcome home, sir. -You’re so late!
道路泥泞耽搁了半天
The mud stole half a day.
玛莉安 给你个惊喜
But Marianne, look. I have a surprise for you.
希望是好的惊喜
I hope a pleasant one.
威伯 是你
Wilber. Wilber, is that you?
半个我吧 我身体又出问题
Oh, it is, half of me. My idiotic body is playing games with me again.
我们一定能帮他养好病
I promised we’d make him well.
你得吃点东西
Eat something.
明天早上再吃 但别太早
Breakfast, perhaps. Not too early.
我还在放假吧 亨利表哥
I’m on holiday. Isn’t that right, cousin Henry?
你有跟他谈吗
Don’t you talk to each other?
你有劝他别弄坏身体吗
Haven’t you told him he’s killing himself?
他跟我们在一起就会好转
Now he’s with us, he’ll be fine.
几点了
What time is it?
你三点要吃药
This is your 3 a.m. dose.
你吵醒我再给我吃入睡的药
So, cousin, you’re waking me up to give me medicine to help me sleep.
你得乖乖跟病人一样吃药
Ah. Now you’re taking on the medical profession, as well as everyone else.
你有睡着吗
Did you sleep?
睡着比醒来还累
Sleep is more exhausting than being awake.
鸦♥片♥让人神智不清
The laudanum will sharpen your dreams.
梦中的过去好像在笑我
It replays my life to mock me and shows me things
我很愧疚许多事该做却没做
I should have done but didn’t.
威伯 为国会牺牲不值得
Wilber, Parliament doesn’t deserve you.
你上个提案没过
Your last bill was defeated because four of your loyal supporters
因为四个支持者跑去看戏
took free tickets to a comic opera rather
却不愿留下来投票
than stay to vote.
我在梦中把桌子掀了
In my dreams, I turned over their tables.
你知道什么最惨吗
But you know the worst thing?
我倒嗓了 我以前很会唱歌♥
I can’t sing any more. You remember how well I used to sing?
我和玛莉安会设法帮你恢复歌♥喉
Marianne and I will find a way to restore your voice.
罗马人相信甘露能让人死而复生
The Romans believed this water would restore the dead to life.
我倒觉得井水会让身体变差
Most pump water I’ve investigated works in the opposite direction.
对了
So?
-什么事这么急 -我有说很急吗
-What was so urgent? -Did I say it was urgent?
玛莉安 你在等人吗
Marianne, are you expecting someone else?
这栋房♥子内
Inside this building,
你会找到健康快乐的人生秘密
you will find the secret of health and happy life.
在甘露当中吗
In a glass of water?
你注意到我结婚后
You may have noticed, since I married Marianne,
都很健康吧
I have been a picture of health.
我为你高兴
I’m very happy for you.
科学几乎证实婚姻和健康不可分
It is almost a scientific fact. Marriage and health are twins. Inseparable.
单身者只会孤独老死在臭房♥里
Single men wither away and die in rooms that smell of feet and armpits.
亨利 你在胡说什么
Henry, what are you babbling on about?
爱情
Love, Wilberforce.
快点 要迟到了
Come. Come, we’re late.
自古就有爱情 不用赶
The water has been here a million years. How can we be late?
-我们还要聊什么 -不知道
-So, what shall we discuss next? -I don’t know.
那么聊废除奴隶制度
The abolition of the slave trade. How about that?
早知道你喜欢聊政♥治♥
Marianne, if I’d known you were so starved of political conversation,
我该找个
I’d have wrapped up a Tory
保守议员让你骂
and sent him to your home by mail for you to shout at.
你看那里
Ah, now, look at that.
才刚聊到废除奴隶制度
Here we are discussing the abolition of the slave trade
就看到我老公和威伯福斯本人
and in walks my husband with William Wilberforce himself,
英国最积极的废奴提倡者
the most committed abolitionist in England and also, of course,
而且是…黄金单身汉
the most unmarried.
看玛莉安在那里
Oh. Look over there. It’s Marianne.
跟她在一起的美女是谁啊
And who’s the charming-Iooking woman with her?
玛莉安也来了
Marianne’s here?
别管她 看旁边的芭芭拉·史普纳
Never mind about her. Look at the woman she’s with. Barbara Spooner.
她积极支持许多改革法案
Very committed to very many good causes.
而且是…单身美女
And also entirely unmarried.
玛莉安 你真坏
Marianne, you’re outrageous!
我不需要你或别人帮我找老婆
I do not need you or anyone else to find a wife for me!
我不会饶过亨利
I’ll never forgive him.
我也不会饶过玛莉安
I’ll never forgive her.
不过 威伯福斯先生 要是我们在别种场合相识
However, Mr Wilberforce, if we had met in other circumstances,
我会告诉你我很钦佩你
I would have told you how deeply I admire your tireless efforts
在国会锲而不舍地鼓吹废奴
to force our ridiculous Parliament to abolish the slave trade.
谈点别的 植物如何
If you had, I would have changed the subject and talked about botany.
植物 为什么
Botany? Why botany?
就是别谈政♥治♥
Anything but politics.
我在巴斯休养时戒掉政♥治♥了
I’m in Bath to be cured of politics.
我也谈腻了植物
Well, I would have been bored by botany.
所以即使别种场合我们也不来电
So, even in other circumstances, it would have been a disaster.
再见
Good day to you.
再见
Good day to you.
这场英美战争让我们了解实情
Some simple truths about this horrendous war
英国下议院 15年前
我要再次向各位声明
need to be restated for the benefit of my honourable friends.
有些事实显而易见
Simple fact. We have the rebels on the anvil and a hammer in our hands.
我们能够轻而易举消灭叛军
There is no question that our military force
英军绝对比叛军强得多
is far superior to that of the Americans.
但我们必须分清楚武力和正义
But we must distinguish between force and justice.
这只小斗犬哪里来的
Where did this terrier spring from?
我想他是约克夏种 爵士
I believe he’s a Yorkshire terrier, My Lord.
养尊处优的保守人士
… rather than able statesmen. Surely it is time for the fat fellow
该下台了
and his friends opposite
国家需要无私的
to make way for others who consider the good of their country of greater moment
护国爱民者
than their own personal interests.
他不知道在议会说教很危险吗
Doesn’t he know what dangers await anyone who talks sense in this place?
我认为他本人就够危险了
Oh, I think he’s equal to the dangers.
这位仁兄提议向革命叛军投降
My honourable friend suggests we surrender to the revolutionaries.
小心革命像水痘 会到处传染
Revolution is like a pox. It spreads from person to person.
我诚心向您对水痘的知识
I bow to my honourable friend’s superior knowledge
以及研究心得 致上万分敬意
and experience in all matters regarding the pox.
我们怎能放弃美国
Why would we withdraw from America
有一半的美国人仍效忠英国
when half of the Americans are loyal to the Crown?
不到四分之一才对
Less than one in four Americans are loyal.
要是他对”一半”如此草率定义
If he calls that half,
那当他的”另一半”也真惨
I’d hate to be his wife and share half his bed.
外交大臣
Mr Foreign Secretary.
这位年轻议员或许该说清楚
My honourable and young friend should explain to the House
姑息和投降有何差异
the difference between appeasement and surrender.
附议 附议
Hear, hear!
时间能证明姑息和投降的差异
The difference between appeasement and surrender is merely a matter of time
甚至可以…
and perhaps
减少上万个年轻生命白白牺牲
10, 000 more young lives wasted for no reason.
2基尼
Two guineas.
朋友 你怎么弃我不顾
Sweet Prospero, why hast thou forsaken me?
议院一条虎 牌桌一只鼠
Brave in the House, but at the table a mouse.
爵士 您知道从商比从政好赚
Your Grace, you know these merchant boys are richer than we are.
知道 我还有10基尼
Aye. I have ten guineas left.
全押
So ten it is.
跟不跟 威伯福斯
In or out, Wilberforce?
我记帐
A pencil and paper.