这个嘛
Well,
我不喜欢报导里面 用不具名的消息来源
it’s not just that we’re using unnamed sources that bothers me…
也不喜欢白宫否认我们报导的东西
or that everything we print, the White House denies…
没有别的报纸追踪报导我们登的新闻 也让我很不舒服
or that almost no other papers are reprinting our stuff.
那要怎么样
What then?
这里有超过两千个记者
Look, there are over 2,000 reporters in this town…
只有五个人在追水门案
are there five on Watergate?
《华♥盛♥顿♥邮♥报♥》什么时候 变成唯一有智慧的报纸啦
Where did the Washington Post suddenly get the monopoly on wisdom?
共和党员为什么要那样做
Why would the Republicans do it?
麦高文是在自我毁灭
McGovern is self-destructing,
就跟亨菲利跟穆斯基那些人一样
just like Humphrey, Muskie, the bunch of them.
我不相信这篇报导
l don’t believe their story.
太不合理了
lt doesn’t make sense.
对
Yeah, Bernstein.
现在
Now? All right.
伍华德 布雷迪现在可以见我们了 别再打了
Woodward, Bradlee will see us now. Answer the phone for me, will you?
你是想找最低的?
Are you trying to find the lowest possible common denominator….
不要放弃啊
鲍伯 又是他
跟他说我是摄影记者
好
班 这是最热门的新闻 被超过五百个报纸采用
Ben, it’s the hottest item. -lt’s in over 500 papers. -What is it?
-什么新闻 -昨天的气象新闻
Yesterday’s weather report for people who were drunk…
这是给那些酒醉昏睡整天的人
and slept all day.
天啊 快送给《旧金山纪实报》
Jesus! Send it out… to the San Francisco Chronicle. They need it.
-猜字游戏呢 -我已经谈好条件
-How about the crossword puzzle? -No. Anagrams?
没有地方放了 没有地方 麦基
-No space, Mickey. -Goodbye.
你们跟我买♥♥的最后 一篇文章会是讣文
The last thing you bought from me was the obituaries.
-想办法让他们买♥♥ 好吗 -好 你们要什么
-Make him buy something, will you? -All right. Hey, what do you guys want?
审计部新闻的截止日是
The GAO report’s due out the morning
-尼克森重新提名的那天早上 -嘿 坐下
of Nixon’s renomination. Sit down.
喔 那还有两个礼拜
Well, that’s two weeks from now.
既然他们只对国会负责
Since they’re only responsible to Congress…
那么白宫就无法控制整个调查
there’s no way the White House can control the investigation.
审计部的人告诉我们
There’s a source over at General Accounting that tells us…
连任委员会里有违法的勾当
there’s a whole rat’s nest of illegal shit going on over at CREEP.
比如说
Like what?
比如说行贿基金
Like a slush fund.
好几百万的
Hundreds of thousands of dollars of unaccounted-for cash.
-黑金 -好几百万
Hundreds of thousands of dollars?
-连任委员会有回应吗 -有 他们不愿回应
Any comment from CREEP? Yes. Unavailable for comment. They’re not talking.
-他们不作任何回应 -除了钱的问题之外呢
But what else besides the money?
新闻的重点在哪里
Where’s the goddamn story?
钱就是重点
The money’s the key to whatever this is.
-谁说得 -深喉咙
-Says who? -Deep Throat.
-谁 -伍华德的车♥库♥怪客朋友
-Who? -Oh, that’s Woodward’s garage freak…
-他在政♥府♥的消息来源 -车♥库♥怪客
his source in the executive–
天啊 这是哪门子异想天开的新闻啊
Garage freak? Jesus, what kind of a crazy, fucking story is this?
你说是谁
Who did you say?
他只藏在遥远的背景之后 我叫他深喉咙
He’s on deep background. l call him “Deep Throat.”
麦克葛文退出
Look, McGovern’s dropped to nothing…
尼克森一定会再度被提名
Nixon’s guaranteed the renomination…
《华♥盛♥顿♥邮♥报♥》 出了一个没人要的新闻
and the Post is stuck with a story no one else wants.
这会把报社害惨的
lt’ll sink the goddamn paper.
大家都说”放手吧 班” 我努力扮演好长官的角色
Everyone says, “Get off it, Ben.” And l come on very sage…
我跟他们说 “你们等着看吧”
and l say, “You’ll see. You wait till this bottoms out.”
可是我根本不知道出这篇新闻干嘛
But the truth is, l can’t figure out what we’ve got.
你们还在追些什么
What else are you working on?
-我们在追连任委员会的名单
We’re after a list of CREEP employees.
-在哪里 那是机密文件
-Where is it? -lt’s classified.
-那你们要怎么拿到 -目前为止我们的运气不是太好
-How are you gonna get it? -We haven’t had any luck, yet.
那就想办法求点好运
Get some.
还有呢
Anything else?
你刚犯了错
You made a mistake in there.
什么错
What?
你说我们运气不好 就是那句话让他抓狂
You said to Brad that we haven’t had any luck yet…
你不应该说什么运气不运气的
and that’s the thing that he jumps on.
如果你没办法跟他说实际的进展
You can’t talk about luck.
那就最好闭嘴
lf you can’t talk in specifics, you shouldn’t say anything.
你有不抽烟的时候吗
ls there any place you don’t smoke?
-等一下
-What? -Hold it.
-你在干嘛 凯艾迪
-What’re you doing? -Kay Eddy.
她不是跟一个 在连任委员会工作的人约会吗
Doesn’t she go with a guy that works for the Committee to Re-Elect?
-太好了 -艾迪
-The E.R. -All right. -Eddy?
-等等 -我需要你
Hey. Kay, can—Just a second.
-757-6521.
好 我待会就给你
-Okay, l’ll get back to you on this, thanks.
你不是跟一个 在连任委员会工作的人在一起吗
Don’t you go with a guy that works for the Committee to Re-Elect?
-现在没有了 -你的确有跟他在一起过吧
-Not anymore. -You did go with him, though.
不是跟他订了婚
l think you were engaged to him, weren’t you?
-对 -所以你跟他解除婚约
-Yeah. -You got out of it?
-那又怎样 -你看起来比以前美多了
-So? -You’re looking better.
我们需要委员会的工作人员名单 你觉得?
Look, we need a list of the people that work there. Do you think that….
-我不能那样做 -为什么
-l can’t do that. -Why not?
-这牵涉到私人问题 -什么意思
lt’s personal.What do you mean?
你说你们之间已经结束了
You said it was over.
你们要我利用一个我在乎的人
You’re asking me to use a guy l care about.
不是的 我们不是要你利用他
No. We’re not asking you to use him…
只是希望你帮我们的忙
Well, sure–
我们也可以帮你
…just to help us. l mean, we’d do the same for you.
我可以拿到名单的唯一方法 就是去找他
My only chance of getting that story is if l see him.
可是我不想再看到他
l don’t want to see him again.
-但是你一定得见他吗 -对
-Do you have to see him? -Sure, l have to see him.
你可以不用这么勉强 你可以打电♥话♥给他
No. Do you have to see him that way?Can’t you just call him up
跟他说你想约他喝个东西
on the telephone and say you want to have a drink with him, just feel him out?
你说你们之间已经结束了 你还害怕失去什么呢
You say the relationship is over. What the hell do you have to lose?
算了
Forget it.
我们不想强迫你
We don’t want you to do anything that would embarrass you…
去做让自己感到尴尬或不喜欢的事
or that you don’t feel right about.
算了
Forget it.
你干嘛就这样放弃 她本来有话要说的
Don’t let her just get off. l think she was going to say something.
这只是迟早的事情 她会给我们想要的东西的
You just overdramatized it, she was going to give us what we want.
-结束了 -什么
lt’s over. -What?
结束了
-lt’s over.
这篇报导看来是你的 我打赌你一定看过
看看这个
他们以为可以让艾迪帮他们 可是他们错了
开始列印
-这是全部的名单吗
ls this the whole list?
-看看上面写得 连任委员会人员
Look what it says. “Personnel, Committee to Re-Elect the President.”
这是依字母顺序排列的 无法分辨谁替谁工作
This is all in alphabetical order. You can’t tell who works for who.
找一下部门首长 米契尔 马古德跟史丹思
Well, find out the department heads like Mitchell, Magruder, Stans.
-这里 约翰米契尔 -号♥码几号♥
Here. John Mitchell.
-好 找到
-What’s the number? -301 . All right. Find somebody who has a number close to it.
号♥码相近的人 他们搞不好帮他工作
-They probably work for him. -There’s a 303.
好
Okay.
我们得找出史丹思的钱
Okay, we have to find out how the money
是怎么跑到窃贼手中的
got from Maurice Stans to the burglars.
以前在财政工作过的人
Somebody who worked in Finance.
好 这是财政的主席 慕利斯史丹思 269
All right. Here’s the head of Finance. Maurice Stans, 269.
找出帮史丹思工作的人
lf we can just get somebody who works under Stans.
史隆 你需要找他吗 他在出纳部门
-Sloan? You need him? -He’s the treasurer.
-不 -休史隆 287
-What’s the number? -Hugh Sloan, 287.
有秘书吗
ls there a secretary?
等等 在这里
Wait a minute.
-曼利 -艾琳曼利
Manley. Here it is. lrene Manley?
-对 -李杰克逊纪念公路1406号♥
1406 Lee Jackson Memorial Highway.
-嗨 我是鲍伯伍华德 -我是卡尔伯恩斯坦
-Hi, l’m Bob Woodward. -l’m Carl Bernstein.
我们是《华♥盛♥顿♥邮♥报♥》的记者
We’re from the Washington Post.
我们可以跟你谈谈吗
We’d like to know if we could speak to you for a few minutes.
我们知道你女儿在连任委员会工作
We understand your daughter works for the Committee to Re-Elect.
-这不是什么可耻的事情 -你反对?
-Wouldn’t be anything embarrassing. -Would you object to just–
-喂 嗨 -麦兰女士 是贝蒂麦兰吗
-Yes? -Hi. Miss Milland? Betty Milland?
-我是鲍伯伍华德 -我是卡尔伯恩斯坦
-l’m Bob Woodward. -Carl Bernstein.
我们是《华♥盛♥顿♥邮♥报♥》记者