八
eight,
九
nine,
十
ten.
都了解了吗
You got it straight now?
一切都没问题了
Everything okay?
没问题
Everything’s fine.
伍华德
Woodward!
我们成功了
We got it.
-他做确认了 -发生什么事
-He confirmed. -What happened?
我说如果数到十你还不挂断 那我们的报导就是正确的
l said if l get up to 10 and you don’t hang up, it’s solid.
-他确认了 -没错
-Did he confirm it? -Absolutely.
-我们得告诉布雷迪
We’ve got to tell Bradlee!
伯恩斯坦找到另一个消息来源了
Bernstein got another source.
司法部的人刚刚跟我们确认
The guy at Justice confirmed.
如果有疑问 那就明天再登
lf there’s any doubt, we can run it tomorrow.
不用 报导是确实的
You don’t have to. The story’s solid. We’re sure of it.
-我们很确定 -我才刚挂电♥话♥ 一切都没问题
l just got off the phone with him. lt’s gold.
好 那就登吧
Okay, we go with it.
证词指出尼克森高层幕僚 掌控秘密基金
伍德斯坦
Woodstein!
-你知道是怎么回事吗 -不知道
-You know what it’s about? -No.
史隆 在水门案之后辞去 助选会计的职务
Sloan, who resigned as campaign treasurer…
他在一场公民案件
after the Watergate break-in… showed up for a deposition
有关于选举献金的诉讼中 出庭做证
in the common-cause suit on…disclosure of campaign contributions,
他否认提到赫德曼
and denied naming Haldeman.
你能不能针对在大陪审团中的证词 做些回应
Mr. Sloan, would you care to comment on testimony before the Grand Jury?
我会让律师回答这个问题
l’d like my attorney to answer that question.
答案都是否定的
Gentlemen, the answer is an unequivocal ‘no. ‘
史隆先生没有在证词中 提到赫德曼先生
Mr. Sloan did not implicate Mr. Haldeman in that testimony at all.
在他的证词中 史隆承认
lt is in his testimony that Mr. Sloan acknowledged-
那个基金是用来做间谍活动的
that it was an espionage fund?
-没有的事 -他有提到基金用来从事
-No, not at all. Did he mention any use of funds for espionage activity?
-任何间谍活动的事吗 -没有 谢谢各位
None, whatsoever. Thank you, gentlemen. Thank you.
史隆也否认之前对联邦调查局
Sloan expanded his denial to include his statements to the FBl…
以及所有联邦机关所做的说明
and to all federal authorities. A short time later at the White House…
稍后白宫新闻秘书雷诺席格勒
News Secretary Ronald Ziegler delivered a strong attack…
强烈谴责《华♥盛♥顿♥邮♥报♥》
on the Washington Post.
为什么《华♥盛♥顿♥邮♥报♥》会这样做
Why is the Post trying to do it?
因为这当中
You have a man…
《华♥盛♥顿♥邮♥报♥》的编辑 也就是班布雷迪
who is the editor of the Washington Post by the name of Ben Bradlee.
我想任何一个认真
l think anyone who would want to honestly assess…
研究过他政♥治♥偏好的人
what his political persuasions are, would…
都会很快了解到
l think come to the conclusion, quite quickly…
他不支持尼克森总统
that he is not a supporter of President Nixon.
我尊重新闻自♥由♥
l respect the free press.
但是我不尊重那种使用低劣手法
l don’t respect the type of journalism…
像《华♥盛♥顿♥邮♥报♥》那样做新闻的媒体
the shabby journalism that is being practiced by the Washington Post.
我只知道该报今早的报导
All l know is that the story that ran this morning…
是不正确的 而且被不只一人
is incorrect and it’s been so… stated as being incorrect…
严正指责 不只是我
by not only me,
还有那位被影射的接受大陪审团 审判做证的主角
but by the individual… whose Grand Jury, secret Grand Jury testimony…
也郑重否认该篇报导
they based their story on.
当事人否认他曾经做出此项证词
And that individual has denied that he ever so testified.
席格勒声明之后 总统竞选经理
No sooner had Ziegler finished, than the President’s campaign manager…
克拉克麦奎格跟记者碰面
Clark MacGregor, met with reporters.
他们使用讽刺的 第三人称说法
Using innuendo… third-person hearsay…
毫无事实根据的指控 引用匿名消息来源
unsubstantiated charges, anonymous sources…
还下了耸动的标题
and huge, scare headlines…
《华♥盛♥顿♥邮♥报♥》恶意地
the Post has maliciously sought to give the appearance…
将白宫跟水门案做不必要的连接
of a direct connection between the White House and the Watergate.
不只《华♥盛♥顿♥邮♥报♥》知道
A charge which the Post knows…
许多调查也都证实 他们报导当中的指控是不正确的
and half a dozen investigations have found to be false.
《华♥盛♥顿♥邮♥报♥》是伪善的
The hallmark of the Post campaign is hypocrisy…
而且拥有双重标准
and its celebrated double standard is today visible for all to see.
我不谈赫德曼或其他人
l’m not talking to you about Haldeman or anybody else.
到底哪里出了错 告诉我们哪里出了错
-Then what went wrong? -Nothing. Just tell us what went wrong?
你不是说联邦调查局 有赫德曼的资料
Didn’t you say that the FBl had the information on Haldeman in the files?
我们手中有
No. -Because we have it in the notes…
之前电♥话♥访谈的纪录
from the conversation we had on the telephone right here.
我们也跟你的老板谈过 如果不给我们个解释
We have to go talk to your boss if you don’t talk to us.
你到底在说什么 我会全盘否认的
What the hell are you talking about? l’ll deny everything.
我们不想让任何人惹上麻烦
We’re not trying to get anybody into trouble.
我们只是想知道自己是不是出了错
We’re just trying to find out if we made some errors.
如果是我们的错 我们就不会继续报导
lf we made a mistake, then we’ll come off the story.
-我们不想放弃这篇报导ue4d1 -告诉我们是不是搞砸了
Just tell us if we’re wrong.
-你难道不了解吗 -告诉我们有没有
Tell us if we screwed up.
我什么都不会说
l’m not talking about it.
我不会说关于赫德曼或任何人的事
l am not talking to you about Haldeman or anybody else.
我也不会再跟你们这些混♥蛋♥说话
ln fact, l can’t even be seen talking to either one of you bastards.
你在怕什么 谁跟你接触了吗
What are you afraid of? Who got to you?
我们被设计了吗
Are we being set up?
-是吗 告诉他 -我们被设计了吗
-Are we, Joe? Tell us! -Are we being set up?
-告诉我们 我们不会说的 -干
-Just tell us, we won’t print it. -Fuck you. And fuck you!
我发誓 我只是照着本子上的纪录写
Honest to God, l just don’t know. -Oh, l see. -lt’s in the notes!
好 有另外一通电♥话♥
Yeah, we had another call on a long list and
我有电♥话♥ 得挂掉了
l’ve got another call, l’ve gotta go.
你说是鲍伯赫德曼吗 对 鲍伯
-Did you mean Bob Haldeman? -Yeah, Bob Haldeman.
天啊 我们到底哪里出了错
Jesus, what was our mistake?
搞不好我们没有出错
Maybe there was no mistake.
那他们只是想陷害我们
Then they’re just setting us up.
所以这整件事都是桩设计好的骗局
Then the whole thing was a set-up?
他们把我们害惨了
And they just hung us.
越来越多的谴责 你得发表声明 班
More denunciations. You’ll have to make a statement, Ben.
有一个参议员在20分钟的演说内 骂了我们57次
One senator just gave a speech slurring us 57 times in 20 minutes.
我知道我们有敌人 可是没想到我们树敌这么多
l knew we had enemies, but l didn’t know we were this popular.
哇 看看这个
Wow, look at this.
这是我非否认的否认
My non-denial denial.
我们坚信自己的报导 布雷迪
该死 相信我们自己人吧
Fuck it, let’s stand by the boys.
好 国际版
Okay. Foreign?
好 这是标题
All right, here’s our headline.
河内广播电台报导 北越跟美国达成
Radio Hanoi reports the United States-North Vietnam agreement…
越战条约的协议
for a settlement of the Vietnam War.
伍华德 你发现了什么 他怎么说
Woodward, what did you find out? What’d he say?
-几点了 -你睡着啦
What time is it? -You fell asleep?
该死
-God damn it!
这里
Over here.
-你就这样放了赫德曼一马 -对
You let Haldeman slip away.
你做的比放了他还糟
Yes. You’ve done worse than let Haldeman slip away.
你让大众同情他 我真是不敢相信
You’ve got people feeling sorry for him. l didn’t think that was possible.
像这种官官相护 你该在外♥围♥慢慢营造
ln a conspiracy like this…
一步一步接近目标
you build from the outer edges and you go step by step.
如果你的目标设的很高
lf you shoot too high and miss,
却没打中 大家是会觉得更安全
everybody feels more secure.
-你们把调查压了好几个月 -对 我们知道
-You put the investigation back months. -Yes, we know that.
如果我们错了 我们会辞职
And if we’re wrong, we’re resigning.
问题是我们有错吗
Were we wrong?
-你们得自己找出答案 不是吗 -我已经厌倦
You’ll have to find that out, won’t you?
你这种不断放空话的游戏
Listen, l’m tired of your chicken-shit games!
我不要暗示
l don’t want hints.
我必须知道你知道的事情
l need to know what you know.
一切都是赫德曼主导的
lt was a Haldeman operation.
整件事情是由赫德曼操控
The whole business was run by Haldeman,
包括金钱跟其他部分
the money, everything.
要抓到他的把柄很难 他已经被隔绝起来
lt won’t be easy getting at him. He was insulated.
你们得找到方法
You’ll have to find out how.
米契尔赶在所有人之前 就开始做掩饰的工作
Mitchell started doing covert stuff before anyone else.
那份名单比任何人想像的要长得多
The list is longer than anyone can imagine.
整个美国情报系统都牵涉其中
lt involves the entire U.S. intelligence community…
联邦调查局
FBl…
中情局 司法部
ClA, Justice.