我们知道第五个人是白宫高阶官员
We know the fifth is a top White House official.
-没有人说是赫德曼 -也没有人否认啊
But no one has said it. No one has named Haldeman.
这样还是不能证明就是赫德曼
-No one’s denied it. -That still doesn’t prove it was Haldeman.
如果晚上睡觉时地上没有雪
lf you go to bed at night and there’s no snow on the ground…
第二天早上醒来发现有雪 就可以确定前天晚上下了雪
when you wake up and there’s snow on the ground…
虽然没有亲眼看到下雪
you can say it snowed during the night, although you didn’t see it.
如果我们不能证明是赫德曼 那我们就完了
But if we can’t prove the fifth man is Haldeman, we’re wiped out.
选举所有的事情都经过他的同意
Everything in that campaign is done with his approval.
我们知道赫德曼的手下都是
We know that everybody who works under Haldeman…
依照他的命令行事
does so with his knowledge.
除了总统以外
And everybody is under Haldeman, except the President.
照常理推断是赫德曼
Common sense says it’s Haldeman.
如果我们去见史隆
lf we go and see Sloan…
告诉他我们知道
and we tell him that we know that he named Haldeman
他向大陪审团提出赫德曼
to the Grand Jury….
那我们只需要得到他的确认
Then all we would need to do is have him confirm it.

Right.
-要那样做吗 -好
-Want to do it that way? -Yes.
回去找史隆吧
Let’s go back and see Sloan.
我们不能现在去 因为他不在家
We can’t go now ’cause he’s not home yet.
他有可能不应门
He may not be answering, but he might be there.
好吧
-Hi. -Please.
我们已经把报导写好了 我们需要你的确认
Listen, we’ve already written the story. We just need you to define–
-黛博拉现在在医院ue4d1 -只有两个问题
Deborah’s in the hospital and my in-laws are coming–
-我们了解 -两个问题
-Two questions? -We understand. Two questions?
用来资助水门案的现金
The cash that financed the Watergate break-in…
一共有五个人掌控那个行贿基金
five men had control of the fund.
米契尔 史丹思 麦古德 康巴哈
Mitchell, Stans, Magruder, Kalmbach.
这四个人我们已经确认
We have confirmations on those four.
-赫德曼是第五个 -我没有透露这个消息
-We just found out Haldeman’s the fifth. -l’m not your source on that.
我们只是要你确认
We’re not asking you to be our source. All we’re asking is to confirm it.
我不是透露赫德曼的消息来源
l’m not your source on Haldeman.
当你被大陪审团询问时
Okay, look, when you were questioned by the Grand Jury–
你必须要说出人名来
You had to name names.
那当然
Of course, everything they asked, yes.
他们问的问题我都得回答
lf they asked you. All right if they….
如果我们的报导说
l don’t know…. Say we wrote a story that said
赫德曼是第五个掌控基金的人
that Haldeman… was the fifth name to control the fund.
-我们会因此惹上麻烦吗 -我们是错的吗
-Would we be in any trouble? -Would we be wrong?
让我这样说吧
Let me put it this way.
如果你们那样写 我不会有意见
l would have no problems if you wrote a story like that.
-不会 -不会
-You wouldn’t? -No.
好 就这样
-That’s okay. Yeah. -Okay.
-喔 小孩生了 -是啊 我老婆生了
-Oh, you had a baby. -Yes, my wife did.
-是男孩还是女孩 -是个女孩
-Little boy or girl? -That’s terrific.
-恭喜你 -谢谢
lt’s a girl. -Congratulations. -Thank you.
-抱歉打扰你 -没关系
-We’re sorry to bother you. -Yeah.
-帮我们跟她说声恭喜好吗 -我会的
-Will you give our best to her? -l will.
伍华德跟我很好奇
Well, l think that, Woodward, and l am curious of the fact…
联邦调查局在调查的过程中
that the FBl, in its entire inquiry, never talked to the….
为什么完全没有调查
Or did any inquiries into the second most-powerful man to the President.
-总统底下最有权力的人 -你们不了解
You don’t seem to understand.
你们不可能从我这得到赫德曼的消息
No, you get nothing about Haldeman out of me.
但我们不需要知道什么 乔
But we don’t need to know anything, Joe.
明天我们要登一篇 关于联邦调查局的报导
Tomorrow we’re going with a story on the FBl.
-什么意思 -我们会在报导中提到
Now, what does that mean? And we’re going to establish in that story…
你们把整个调查搞砸了
that you guys just about blew the whole investigation.
不 我们没有错得那么离谱
Oh, no, we didn’t miss so much.
你不知道赫德曼掌控行贿基金
You didn’t know Haldeman had control of the slush fund?
-我们知道 档案里面都有纪录
Oh, yes, we did. lt’s all in our files.
没有赫德曼的资料
Not about Haldeman.
有啊 赫德曼 约翰赫德曼
Yeah, Haldeman. John Haldeman.
看着 我很忙 我得带孩子上♥床♥睡觉
Look, now, look, l’m very busy. l’ve got to go put the kids to bed.
这就是确认了
That’s the confirmation right there.
等一等 等一下 他说约翰吗
Wait a minute, wait a sec. Did he say John?
-他说赫德曼 -他说约翰赫德曼
-He said Haldeman. -He said John Haldeman.
他说以萨亚或大卫 又有什么差别
What the hell difference does it make if he said lsaiah or David?
-只有一个赫德曼 -对
There’s only one Haldeman.
以萨亚或大卫不会是总统的助手
Yeah, well, lsaiah or David aren’t assistants to the President.
可是总觉得证据还太薄弱
l don’t know, it still feels thin.
我希望我们知道这篇报导 能不能刊登
Christ, l just wish we knew if we could print this.
又不是我们叫他们做这些事的
Now wait a minute, we didn’t make them do these things…
既然他们做了 就要承担后果
but once they did, they’re fair game!
再跟我说一次报导的消息来源 我想听
Harry, let’s go over your sources again. l want to hear it.
史隆回答大陪审团的问题
Sloan told the Grand Jury. He answered everything they asked him.
他回答了所有问题 也就是一定有留下纪录
That means there’s gotta be a record somewhere.
他有跟大陪审团谈过 联邦调查局也确认了
He told the Grand Jury, the FBl confirms. What more do you need?
-你还需要什么 -我只是很爱这个国家
l happen to love this country.
我们可不要当拉垮国家的人
You know, we’re not a bunch of zanies out to bring it down!
你是持相反的意见吗
Harry, weren’t you arguing the opposite way?
-不 不是 -我不敢相信
No, not at all.
-这跟其他事情没有关系 -好了 别闹了
All right, now hold it. One thing has nothing to do with the other.
我们将要指控赫德曼
We’re about to accuse Haldeman who only happens to be…
这个人刚好是全国第二重要人物
the second-most-important man in this country…
负责调查白宫内部的犯罪官官相护
of conducting a criminal conspiracy from inside the White House.
如果我们是对的就好了
lt would be nice if we were right.
你们有确认过所有资讯吗
Have you double-checked your sources? -Jesus.
-有 -伯恩斯坦 你确定报导是对的吗
-Bernstein, are you sure on this story?
-当然 -伍华德
-Absolutely!-Woodward?
-我很确定
-l’m sure.
我不确定
l’m not.
感觉还是太薄弱了
lt still seems thin.
-再去找些消息来源 -到底还要
Get another source.
多少个消息来源
How many fucking sources do they think we’ve got?
你们确定深喉咙不会确认吗
Are you sure Deep Throat won’t confirm?
他不会的 我告诉你了
He won’t confirm, l told you that.
-司法部的那个人呢 -不行
What about the guy in Justice?
-为什么 -他就在
You can’t call him. He’s right next to the Grand Jury.
-我们没有选择 -离截稿时间只剩20分钟
-We have no choice. lt’s trouble. -lt’s 20 minutes to deadline.
我不知道打电♥话♥找不找得到他
l don’t even know if l can get him on the phone.
-您好 -请接副将军办公室
-Dr. Kissinger’s office. -Deputy General’s office, please.
知道他什么时候回来吗
Do you know when you expect him back?
不知道 我想他晚上不会再回来
No, sir. l believe he’s left for the evening.
你要留言吗 等我一下好吗
lf you’d like to leave a message…. Oh, could you hold, please?
嗨 我是卡尔 抱歉现在打扰你
Hi, this is Carl. l’m sorry to disturb you now…
我们正在做一篇报导 当中指出赫德曼是掌控基金的人
but we’re going with the story
我们感到很困扰
that Haldeman was the fifth man… i
目前我们得到三个人的确认
n control of the fund and they’re hassling us here.
请帮助我们 感激不尽
We’ve got three confirmations. lf you could help us, l’d appreciate it.
我不会说任何关于他的事
l won’t say anything about Haldeman. Not ever.
我了解 我们也不想你这么做
l understand. We wouldn’t want you to do that.
我们知道这是违法的
We know it’s against the law for you to say anything.
如果你可以 告诉我们该不该暂缓报导
lf there’s a way you could warn us to hold on the story,
我们会很感激 我很想帮你们 可是不行
we’d appreciate it. l’d really like to help you, but l can’t.
我要数到十 好吗
Look, l’m going to count to 10, all right?
如果我们应该暂缓这篇报导
lf there’s any reason we should hold on the story…
在我数到十之前挂断
hang up the phone before l get to 10.
如果报导没问题
lf the story’s all right,
就不要挂断电♥话♥ 好吗
you just be on the phone after l get to 10, all right?
-挂断是吗 -没错
-Hang up, right? -That’s right.
-可以了吗 -可以
-You got it? -Yeah.
我要开始数了 好吗
We’re straight. All right, l’m going to start counting, okay?
-这样可以吗 -可以
-We all right? -Yeah.
好 我要开始数了 一
Okay, l’m counting.

One, two…

three,

four,

five…

six,

seven…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!