我承认剧场有害群之马
I admit there’s a screwball element in the theatre.
他们非常引人注目
It sticks out,
不但有聚光灯照射 还有铜管乐队伴奏
it’s got spotlights on it and a brass band.
但他们并不是根本也不是标准
But it isn’t basic. It isn’t standard.
否则剧场将无法生存
If it were, the theatre couldn’t survive.
服务生
Oh, waiter.
他不是服务生 他是佣人
That isn’t a waiter, my dear. That’s a butler.
我总不能大声喊着佣人吧
Well, I can’t yell out “butler”, can I?
或许有人正好名叫 “佣人”(布勒)
Maybe somebody’s name is Butler.
言之有理 虽然是个歪理但至少是个理由
You have a point. An idiotic one, but a point.
我不想引起麻烦 我是想喝杯酒
I don’t wanna make trouble. All I want is a drink.
– 让我来吧 我去帮你拿一杯 – 谢谢你 费宾先生
– Leave it to me. I’ll get you one. – Thank you, Mr. Fabian.
干得好
Well done.
我已看见你的演艺生涯如东升的旭日一般
I can see your career rising in the east like the sun.
你怎么说?
You were saying?
我说想在戏剧界立足 就得靠九♥成♥的努力
The theatre is nine-tenths hard work.
流血流汗努力工作再加上天分
Work done the hard way, by sweat, application and craftsmanship.
我同意 想在剧场成为出色的演员
To be a good actor or actress, or anything in the theatre,
就得要有强烈的企图心
means wanting to be that more than anything else.
没错
Yes. Yes, it does.
它比其他行业需要
It means a concentration of desire or ambition and sacrifice
更强烈的企图心和更多的牺牲
such as no other profession demands.
而且我同意 凡是接受这些考验的人
And the man or woman who accepts those terms can’t be ordinary,
都不是等闲之辈
can’t be just someone.
只问耕耘不问收获
To give so much for almost always so little.
不问收获
“So little?”
你说不问收获?
“So little, ” did you say?
至少还有掌声
Why, if there’s nothing else, there’s applause.
我在后台总是听到观众的掌声
I’ve listened backstage to people applaud.
仿佛
It’s like…
一波波的爱 自脚光涌来将你包围
Like waves of love coming over the footlights and wrapping you up.
每晚都有千百个爱你的人
Imagine, to know every night that different hundreds of people love you.
他们露出微笑眼睛散发出光芒 你已经取悦他们
They smile, their eyes shine, you’ve pleased them.
他们需要你 你属于他们的
They want you. You belong.
光是这一点就值得一切的牺牲
Just that alone is worth anything.
别起来 请你别再以母后自居
Don’t get up. And please stop acting as if I were the Queen Mother.
– 对不起 我不是故意的 – 玛格 在蜂窝之外
– I’m sorry, I didn’t… – Outside of a beehive, Margo,
你的行为 既不像皇后也不像母亲
your behavior is hardly queenly or motherly.
难道你不知道你身在蜂窝之中
You’re in a beehive, pal.
我们是充满蛰针忙碌的小蜜蜂 一天到晚忙着酿蜜
We’re all busy little bees, full of stings, making honey day and night.
– 不是吗 亲爱的?- 玛格 够了
– Aren’t we, honey? – Margo, really.
凯伦 请别以长者自居
Please don’t play governess, Karen.
我没有你那种高尚的品味
I haven’t your unyielding good taste.
当初我也希望能上戏剧学校 但是我爸不肯
I wish I could have gone to Radcliffe, too, but Father wouldn’t hear of it.
他希望我留在店里帮忙
He needed help behind a notions counter.
我很失态 对不对?或是我该说”是吧?”
I’m being rude now, aren’t I? Or should I say, ain’t I?
你不但自觉感伤 而且还很自怜 简直是无药可救
You’re maudlin and full of self-pity. You’re magnificent.
今天就到此为止 好吗?
How about calling it a night?
亏你还是剧作家
And you pose as a playwright.
眼前一个充满无限可能的情况
A situation pregnant with possibilities,
而你却叫大家回去睡觉
and all you can think of is “go to sleep.”
这是个不错的想法 无法搬上舞台
– It’s a good thought. – It won’t play.
身为一个门外汉
As a nonprofessional,
我认为这个一个很棒的点子 抱歉
I think it’s an excellent idea. Excuse me.
虽然没有戏剧张力但却很实际
Undramatic, perhaps, but practical.
– 随遇而安的家庭主妇 – 够了
– Happy little housewife. – Cut it out.
这是我家 不是剧院
This is my house, not a theater.
在我家 你是客人不是导演
In my house you’re a guest, not a director.
那么 你就别再摆出明星的架式
Then stop being a star
别再把你的客人当成你的配角
and treating your guests as your supporting cast.
– 别在火上加油了 – 也该是时候了
– Let’s not get into a big hassle. – It’s time we did.
玛格也该了解 在舞台上的迷人之处
Margo has to realize what’s attractive on stage
在台下未必迷人
need not be attractive off.

All right!
我要睡觉了
I’m going to bed.
现在起你是主人 宴会是为你办的
You be host. It’s your party.
生日快乐 欢迎回来
Happy birthday. Welcome home.
我们对你简直是 佩服得五体投地
And we who are about to die salute you.
需要帮助吗?
Need any help?
抱我上♥床♥?脱去我的衣服 抱着我的头
To put me to bed? Take my clothes off, hold my head?
为我盖好棉被 关掉电灯然后轻轻离开?
Tuck me in, turn out the lights and tiptoe out?
夏娃就会这么做 对不对 夏娃?
Eve would, wouldn’t you, Eve?
只要你愿意 我不愿意
– If you’d like. – I wouldn’t like.
– 我忘了我拿着杯子 – 我没忘
– Oh, I forgot I had it. – I didn’t.
真可惜 我们就要错过第三幕了
Too bad. We’re gonna miss the third act.
他们将在台下演出
They’re gonna play it offstage.
– 要一起走吗 马克斯?- 等我一下
– Coming, Max? – In a minute.
夏娃 别太在意玛格的话 即使我很在意
Eve, you mustn’t mind Margo too much, even if I do.
事出必有因 一定是我无意间做错了什么
There must be some reason, something I’ve done without knowing.
问题出在玛格身上 别浪费心思去想了
The reason is Margo and don’t try to figure it out.
连爱因斯坦都无法找出答案
Einstein couldn’t.
但一想到 我冒犯到她和所有人…
But if I thought I’d offended her, of all people…
夏娃 我也喜欢玛格
Eve… I’m fond of Margo, too.
但我了解她 有时
But I know Margo. And every now and then,
我真想好好踹她一脚
there is nothing I wanna do so much as kick her right square in the pants.
如果她必须找人出气
Well, if she has to pick on someone,
我想那个人非我莫属
I’d just as soon it was me.
– 马克斯要载我们回家 – 晚安
– Max is gonna drop us. – Good night.
– 晚安 – 晚安
– Good night. – Good night.
理查德太太 我们谈过的事你不会忘了吧?
Mrs. Richards? You won’t forget, will you? What we talked about before?
夏娃 我不会忘的
No, Eve. I won’t forget.
为何自己一个人 艾迪森?
Why so remote, Addison?
怎么没在你的女门生身旁给予精神上的支持
You should be at the side of your protégée, lending her moral support.
此时我无法给予 卡小姐任何支持
Miss Casswell is where I can lend no support, moral or otherwise.
她在女…”休息室”?
In the ladies’ shall we say “lounge”?
她肚子痛
Being violently ill to her tummy.
在试镜前这是个好兆头 试镜一开始她就会没事的
It’s good luck before an audition.
幸运之神并未及时眷顾卡小姐 试镜已经结束了
Miss Casswell got lucky too late. The audition is over.
不可能的 我是来这儿和她一起看剧本的
It can’t be. I came here to read with Miss Casswell.
我答应过马克斯的
I promised Max.
试镜已在一小时前结束 现在快四点了
The audition was at 2.30. It’s now nearly four.
是吗 我得开始戴表了 我这辈子没戴过表
Is it really? I must start wearing a watch. I never have, you know.
卡小姐和谁一起看剧本?
Who read with Miss Casswell?
– 比尔?洛伊?- 不是
– Bill? Lloyd? – No.
– 不可能是马克斯 到底是谁?- 当然是你的替身
– Well, it can’t have been Max. Who? – Naturally, your understudy.
这样是不对的 让一个待产的孕妇…
It’s unnatural to allow a girl in an advanced state of pregnancy…
我是指没有身孕的新替身 夏娃·赫灵顿小姐
I refer to your new and unpregnant understudy, Miss Eve Harrington.
夏娃 我的替身?
Eve? My understudy?
– 难道你不知道?- 我当然知道
– Didn’t you know? – Of course I knew.
你只是一时忘了
It just slipped your mind?
卡小姐呢?
How was Miss Casswell?
老实说 我把她给忘了
Frankly, I don’t remember.
你只是一时忘了 彻底忘了
– Just slipped your mind? – Completely.
我相信在场没有人可以告诉你 卡小姐的演技如何
Nor can anyone else present tell you how Miss Casswell read,
或是告诉你 她是在演戏还是在儿戏
or whether Miss Casswell read or rode a pogo stick.
她真有那么糟吗?
Was she that bad?
玛格 你也知道 我对戏剧的信仰是无庸置疑的
Margo, I have lived in the theatre as a Trappist monk lives in his faith.
戏剧是我唯一的世界 唯一的生命
I have no other world, no other life.
我曾见过足以令真正行家
Once in a great while, I experience that moment of revelation
引领企盼的奇才 你就是其中一人
for which all true believers wait and pray. You were one.
珍妮·玛格斯 宝拉·威丝莉 还有其他三四个
Jeanne Eagels another, Paula Wessely, Hayes. There are others, three or four.
夏娃·赫灵顿也将成为其中一人
Eve Harrington will be among them.
我相信 她把对白念得不错
I take it she read well.
那不是念而是表演
It wasn’t a reading, it was a performance.
她才华洋溢 充满朝气 如音乐与火焰的化身
Brilliant, vivid, something made of music and fire.
真好
How nice.
假以时日她将成为玛格第二
In time, she’ll be what you are.
我正是音乐与火焰的化身
A mass of music and fire.
卡祖笛和烟火的结合
That’s me. An old kazoo with some sparklers.
告诉我 比尔是否也同样惊为天人?
Tell me, was Bill swept away, too?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!