马克斯 我爱你 这是我的肺腑之言
I love you, Max. I really mean it.
我爱你
I love you.
到餐具室吧
Come to the pantry.
她爱我就像爱她爸一样 她喝醉了
She loves me like a father. Also, she’s loaded.
在这儿
There you are, Maxie dear.
只要你打个嗝 就能甩掉那位卡小姐
One good burp and you’ll be rid of that Miss Casswell.
我的处境 不是打个嗝就能脱身的
The situation I’m in ain’t the kind you can belch your way out of.
– 我已经承诺过 – 对卡小姐承诺?承诺什么?
– I made a promise. – To Miss Casswell? What?
试镜 我们正准备换掉你的替身
For an audition for this part we are replacing.
你的妹妹叫什么名字?
What’s her name? Your sister?
– 一汤匙?- 不 两汤匙
– One? – No, two, please.
如果她能演戏 演技应该不会太差
If she can act, she might not be bad.
她颇有大将之风
She looks like she might burn down a plantation.
现在我只在乎我的心痛
Right now, I feel like there is one burning in me.
– 什么时候试镜?- 几个星期之后
– When’s the audition? – A couple of weeks.
这样吧 我和她一起读吧
Tell you what. Why don’t I read with her?
– 你愿意?- 只要能帮上你的事
– Would you? – Anything to help you out, Max.
真够义气 感激不尽
Now that’s cooperation. I appreciate it.
别见外 现在你可以帮我一个大忙
Not at all. And now you can do me a great favor.
尽管说吧
Just name it.
希望你能在你的办公室 为夏娃安排一个位置
Give Eve Harrington a job in your office.
你的反应还真快嘛
You get quick action, don’t you?
我从未想到要将她从你的身旁抢走
I wouldn’t think of taking that girl away from you.
你说过我的一切都已上轨道
You said yourself my inventory was in shape, all my merchandise put away.
把她留在这儿无所事事 就是耽误她的大好前程
To keep her here with nothing to do, I’d be standing in her way.
况且你需要她呀 她能做什么?
– And you need her, Max. – What will she do?
她将会是你的得力助手 她可以替你可以看剧本
She’d be a great help. She’d read scripts,
替你做你该做的访问 帮你挡掉闲杂人等
interview people you have to see, get rid of those you don’t have to.
到时候你就可以悠闲度日了
You’d be a man of leisure, Maxie.
为你的健康着想吧
Think of your health.
你可以在竞争激烈的环境中 舒服过日
More time to relax in the fresh air at a racetrack.
– 我还是认为这样不妥 – 答应我吧
– I don’t think it’s such a good idea. – Promise?
– 我… – 这才乖
– Promise. – That’s my Max.
原来你们都在这儿
Oh, there you both are.
马克斯 凯伦想回家了
Max, Karen’s decided it’s time to go.
– 她人在哪儿?- 你的房♥间
– Where is she now? – Up in your room.
我先失陪了 我得去告诉卡小姐
If you’ll excuse me, I’ll go and tell Miss Casswell.
– 还有多少客人?- 很多
– Who’s left out there? – Too many.
而且你还有一个新客人 从好莱坞来的电影明星
And, besides, you got a new guest. A movie star from Hollywood.
少来了 我才把我的签名册送到干衣店呢
Shucks! And I sent my autograph book to the cleaners.
你就是喜欢和我唱反调 是吧?
You disapprove of me when I’m like this, don’t you?
不尽然 有时我真希望我能更了解你
Not exactly. Sometimes, though, I wish I understood you better.
– 你更了解我时 请让我知道 – 我会的
– When you do, let me in on it. – I will.
– 新人新戏如何?- 新戏?大概不错吧
– How’s the new one coming? – The play? Oh, all right, I guess.
可拉 还是个双十年华的女孩?
Cora. Still a girl of 20?
二十左右 但这不是重点
20-ish. It’s not important.
难道你不认为 该让它成为重点了吗?
Don’t you think it’s about time it became important?
– 什么意思?- 别再装了
– How do you mean? – Don’t be evasive.
玛格 你一点都不老啊
Margo, you haven’t got any age.
钱宁小姐是一棵长青树 你的口气像记者一样
Miss Channing is ageless. Spoken like a press agent.
我知道我在说什么 那些全是我的戏剧
I know what I’m talking about. They’re my plays.
口气像作者一样
Spoken like an author.
洛伊 我不是二十几岁 也不是三十几岁
Lloyd, I’m not 20-ish. I’m not 30- ish.
三个月前我就四十岁了
Three months ago I was 40 years old.
我就这样步入四十岁
40! Four-0.
时光流逝 我根本还没有勇气承认
That slipped out.I hadn’t quite made up my mind to admit it.
我突然感觉自己全身赤♥裸♥
Now I suddenly feel as if I’ve taken all my clothes off.
这些日子以来 对无数的观众而言
To thousands of people
你要多年轻就有多年轻
you’re as young as you want.
你是指他们要我多年轻吧
As young as they want, you mean.
我不在乎广大的观众 认为我是六岁或是六百岁
I’m not interested whether thousands of people think I’m six or 600.
只是一个人 不是吗?
Just one person, isn’t that so?
你了解这与你是否
You know what this is all about.
应该演可拉并无关系
It has little to do with whether you should play Cora.
这只显示出你又与比尔吵嘴了
It has everything to do with you having a fight with Bill.
比尔32岁 他看起来就像32岁
Bill’s 32. He looks 32.
5年前他就长这样 20年后依然不会变
He looked it five years ago. He’ll look it 20 years from now.
我恨男人
I hate men.
洛伊 别担心 我会演你的戏的
Don’t worry, Lloyd. I’ll play your play.
如果必要 我可以穿着连衫裤摇呼啦圈的
I’ll wear rompers and come in rolling a hoop, if you like.
谁会在这时候出现?现在是回家的时候
Who’d show up at this hour? It’s time people went home.
把那件外套拿起来
Hold that coat up.
– 谁的外套?- 一个好莱坞影星的
– Whose is it? – Some Hollywood movie star.
– 她的飞机迟到了 – 真扫兴 对不对?
– Her plane got in late. – Discouraging, isn’t it?
穿这种皮草的女人 永远都不会招凉
Women with furs like that where it never even gets cold.
好莱坞
Hollywood.
夏娃 告诉我 近来过得如何?快乐吗?
Tell me, Eve. How are things going with you? Happy?
快乐应该有一个同义字
There should be a new word for happiness.
和钱宁小姐在一起… 我难以用言语形容
Being here with Miss Channing has been a… I just can’t say.
她是个大好人 为我做了许多事
She’s been so wonderful, done so much for me.
洛伊说玛格是在现实人生中
Lloyd says Margo compensates for underplaying on stage
补偿在舞台上的不足
by overplaying reality.
我的新貂皮大衣摆在那件旁
Next to that sable, my new mink
看起来就像是睡衣一般
seems like an old bed jacket.
夏娃 你对玛格可说是尽心尽力了 晚安
You’ve done your share, Eve. You’ve worked wonders with Margo. Good night.
– 理查德太太 – 请叫我凯伦
– Mrs. Richards? – Karen.
凯伦
Karen.
真难以启齿 你为我做了这么多事
Isn’t it awful? I’m about to ask you for another favor,
我又要请你帮忙了
after all you’ve done already.
夏娃 你太客气了
Nobody’s done so much.
别再把自己看得如此卑微
Stop thinking of yourself as one of the hundred neediest cases.
– 什么事?- 钱宁小姐的一切都已步上轨道
– What is it? – Miss Channing’s affairs are in good shape,
我没有太多的事可做
so there isn’t enough to keep me as busy as I should be.
我并没有离开她的打算
Not that I’d consider anything that would take me away from her.
但前几天我听见 费宾先生告诉钱宁小姐
But the other day when Mr. Fabian told Miss Channing
她的替身就要生产了 他们必须找人代替她
that her understudy was going to have a baby and they’d have to replace her…
– 你想当玛格的新替身?- 我不敢如此奢望
– You wanna be Margo’s new understudy? – I don’t let myself think about it even.
但我对这个角色和舞台都十分了解
But I do know the part so well, and every bit of the staging,
因此没有必要另找他人
there’d be no need to break in a new girl.
但万一观众买♥♥票来看钱小姐
Suppose I had to go on one night
却看到我的演出呢?
to an audience that came to see Margo Channing.
– 万万不行 – 这一点我并不担心
– Oh, no, I couldn’t possibly! – I wouldn’t worry too much about that.
玛格是绝不会缺席的
Margo just doesn’t miss performances.
只要她能走 能爬或能滚 她就能演
If she can walk, crawl or roll, she plays.
– 戏必须继续演下去 – 不 玛格必须演下去
– The show must go on. – No, dear. Margo must go on.
老实说 我看不出任何你不该当她的替身的原因
I don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t be her understudy.
– 你认为钱宁小姐会答应吗?- 她会乐观其成的
– You think Miss Channing would approve? – I think she’d cheer.
可是 理查德先生和山普森先生呢?
But Mr. Richards and Mr. Sampson?
他们会配合的
They’ll do as they’re told.
你愿意向费宾先生提这件事吗?
Then would you speak to Mr. Fabian about it?
– 当然 – 你不会忘记?
– Of course. – You won’t forget?
我不会忘的
I won’t forget.
似乎我对你永远都有感谢不完的事
I seem to be forever thanking you for something, don’t I?
这张床就像是动物坟场一样
The bed looks like a dead animal act.
– 哪一只是貂?- 她不是才刚来吗
– Which one is sable? – But she just got here.
她正要和一群人离开
Well, she’s on her way with half the men in the joint.
– 这只是一件皮草 – 难道你期望它是活貂吗?
– It’s only a fur coat. – What do you expect? Live sable?
至少要有钻石衣领和黄金袖口
Diamond collar, gold sleeves. You know, picture people.
戏剧界或是电影界的前辈 有时会告诉大众
Elder statesmen of the theatre or cinema
演员也是凡夫俗子
assure the public that actors and actresses are just plain folks,
而忽略了演员最大的魅力
ignoring the fact that their greatest attraction to the public
就在于 他们与一般百姓截然不同
is their complete lack of resemblance to normal human beings.
这是女孩愿意牺牲一切 想得到的东西
Now there’s something a girl could make sacrifices for.
– 或许已经做出牺牲了 – 貂皮大衣
– And probably has. – Sable.
– 貂皮大衣?她说貂皮还是狐皮?- 都一样
– Sable? Did she say sable or Gable? – Either one.
我们一样都有奇怪的特质
We all have abnormality in common.
我们和芸芸众生不同 我们是戏剧界的人士
We’re a breed apart from the rest of humanity, we theatre folk.
我们是被错置的人
We are the original displaced personalities.
明天你不用看他的专栏了 刚才你已经听过了
You won’t have to read his column tomorrow, Eve. You just heard it.
– 艾迪森 我不同意 – 这正是你的奇怪特质
– I don’t agree, Addison. – That’s your particular abnormality.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!