今天是你的生日
It’s your birthday.
谁记得?谁会在12点整向我祝贺?
And who remembered it? Who was there on the dot at 12 midnight?
生日快乐 亲爱的
Happy birthday, darling.
一点诚意都没有
The reading could’ve been better, but you said it.
祝你诸事顺心
Now, “Many happy returns of the day.”
祝你诸事顺心
Many happy returns of the day.
你为我办了一个生日会吧?
I get a party, don’t I?
当然 生日会兼洗尘
Of course. Birthday and coming home.
我会邀请谁参加?
Who will I ask?
宴会的事我全知道 夏娃写信告诉我了
I know all about the party. Eve wrote me.
– 她告诉你了?- 我离开后她每周都写信来
– She did? – She hasn’t missed a week since I left.
这一点你应该知道才对 或许是你叫她写的
But you know that. You probably tell her what to write.
总之 我已经列了一张名单给她
Anyway, I sent her a list of guests,
你和她讨论一下吧
so check with her.
我会的
Yeah, I will.
– 夏娃还好吧?- 还好
– How is Eve? OK? – OK.
– 我爱你 – 我会和夏娃讨论的
– I love you. – I’ll check with Eve.
什么?
Hm?
我也爱你 晚安 亲爱的
I love you, too. Good night, darling.
再见了
See ya.
伯蒂
Birdie.
你不喜欢夏娃吧
You don’t like Eve, do you?
你要答案还是和我争论?
You want an argument or an answer?
– 答案 – 不喜欢
– An answer. – No.
– 为什么?- 你开始要和我争论起来了
– Why not? – Now you want an argument.
– 她工作认真 – 不眠不休
– She works hard. – Night and day.
她忠心耿耿 做事又有效率
She’s loyal and efficient.
就像只有一名委托人的经纪人
Like an agent with only one client.
她的心中只有我
She thinks only of me,
不是吗?
doesn’t she?
就当做她的心中只有你吧
Well, let’s say she thinks only about ya, anyway.
– 你这句话是什么意思?- 这么说吧
– How do you mean that? – I’ll tell ya how.
就像
Like…
她一直在研究你
Like she’s studying you.
仿佛你是一出戏剧 一本书或蓝图
Like you was a play, or a book, or a set of blueprints.
你如何走路 谈话 吃饭 思考和睡觉
How you walk, talk, eat, think…
那样做的确很讨喜 而且那样做也没什么不对
I’m sure that’s flattering. There’s nothing wrong with it.
早安 我这件高雅的新衣如何?
Good morning. Well, what do you think of my elegant new suit?
穿在你身上比我合适多了
It looks much better on you than it did on me.
我可以想像 只需要稍微修改一下就好了
I can imagine. All it needed was a little taking in here and letting out there.
你确定你不要了?
Are you sure you won’t want it yourself?
当然 穿在我身上太年轻了
Quite sure. I find it too seventeenish for me.
快别这么说了 你把自己说成是老妇人了
Come now, as though you were an old lady.
我要出门了 还有什么事要吩咐的吗?
I’m on my way. Is there anything else?
– 那份要稿件还给工会 – 我已经拿了
– That script to take to the Guild. – I’ve got it.
还有那些付所得税的支票
And those checks for the income-tax man.
在这儿
Right here.
看来你一切你都打点好了
It seems I can’t think of a thing you haven’t thought of.
这是我分内的工作 午茶时间见了
That’s my job. See you at teatime.
夏娃
Eve?
你曾为我预约一通加州时间午夜的电♥话♥吗?
Did you place a call from me to Bill for midnight California time?
天啊 我忘了告诉你
Golly, I forgot to tell you!
没错 你忘得一干二净
Yes, dear, you forgot all about it.
我相信 你一定很想祝他生日快乐
I was sure you’d want to, being his birthday.
可是这几天你这么忙
You’ve been so busy lately.
昨晚你和理查德夫妇出去前 我打算要告诉你
Last night I meant to tell you before you went out.
我想你回家时 我一定是睡着了
I guess I was asleep when you got home.
我想是吧 夏娃 你真是体贴入微
Yes, I guess you were. It was very thoughtful of you, Eve.
山普森先生的生日 我怎么能忘呢
Mr. Sampson’s birthday, I couldn’t forget that.
你一定不会原谅我的
You’d never forgive me.
老实说 我拍了一张电报给他
As a matter of fact, I sent him a telegram myself.
比尔的洗尘生日会 历史性的一夜
Bill’s welcome-home birthday party, a night to go down in history.
宴会还没开始 我便已感受到山雨欲来风满楼
Even before the party started, I could smell disaster in the air.
我早就料到会有这种结局
I knew it.
我在为这场宴会换装前就已感受到
I sensed it even as I finished dressing for that blasted party.
– 准备好了没?- 背上的拉链还没拉
– You all put together? – My back’s open.
– 小帮手来了没?- 有些人打扮的
– Extra help get here? – There’s some characters
像女佣和男仆
dressed as maids and butlers.
你邀请了威廉莫瑞斯经纪公♥司♥的人?
Did you call the William Morris Agency?
一点都不好笑
You’re not funny.
我可以邀请更没品味的演员 食物呢?
Actors would cost less. How about the food?
酒席承办人已回去拿开
The caterer had to go back for the hors d’oeuvres.
好了
Voilà!
那位法国人一定教了你不少
That French ventriloquist taught you a lot.
天下没有他不知道的事
There was nothing he didn’t know.
酒保说
There’s a message from the bartender.
钱宁小姐知道自己选错了本国的琴酒吗?
“Does Miss Channing know that she ordered domestic gin by mistake?”
我唯一选错的就是今晚的客人
The only thing I ordered by mistake is the guests.
客人和酒都是来美国 只要是酒他们都不会计较的
They don’t care what they drink as long as it burns.
– 比尔呢?他迟到了 – 什么迟到了?
– Where’s Bill? He’s late. – Late for what?
笨 宴会
Don’t be dense. The party.
我清醒得很 他已经回来20分钟了
I ain’t dense. He’s been here for 20 minutes.
真奇怪 他竟然还没…
Well, I certainly think it’s odd he hasn’t even come up to…
摄影师说别担心
The cameraman said,
就连大导演德米尔都看不见
“Even DeMille couldn’t see anything
所以这是第一次 也是最后一次
looking through the wrong end!” So…
别让我给打断了 这是成人笑话吗?
Don’t let me kill the point. Or isn’t it a story for grown-ups?
你听过了 我正讲到我将摄影机取景器拿反了看
You’ve heard it. I looked through the wrong end of the camera.
这倒让我想起 我看穿洋蓟中心的事
Remind me to tell you about the time I looked into the heart of an artichoke.
我很想听
I’d like to hear it.
那是在一个大雪纷飞的夜晚 当时我们坐在炉火旁
Some snowy night in front of the fire.
对了 夏娃 你去看开胃菜来了没
Meanwhile, would you check about the hors d’oeuvres, Eve?
承办人忘了带来 可能是清漆还没干吧
The caterer forgot them. The varnish wasn’t dry or something.
当然
Of course.
看来我将有个非常盛大的生日会
Looks like I’m going to have a fancy party.
– 我以为你会迟到 – 我可是这场盛会的主人啊
– I thought you were going to be late. – Well, I’m guest of honor.
我根本还不知道你回来了
I had no idea you were even here.
我上楼时遇见夏娃 她告诉我你正在换装
I ran into Eve and she told me you were dressing.
之前这种事 是不会让你停下脚步的
That’s never stopped you before.
我们开始聊了起来 她想多了解好莱坞
She wanted to know about Hollywood.
她似乎非常感兴趣
She seemed so interested…
这个女孩子的兴趣可真多
She’s a girl of so many interests.
这种女孩已经不多了
It’s a pretty rare quality these days.
– 一个拥有如此多稀有特质的女孩子 – 她似乎是
– A girl of so many rare qualities. – So she seems.
这些话你常挂在嘴边
So you’ve pointed out so often.
你老是说她拥有许多特质
So many qualities so often.
她的忠诚 效率 奉献 热情 还有如此年轻
Her loyalty, efficiency, devotion, warmth and affection, and so young.
如此年轻貌美
So young and so fair.
真不敢相信你会说出这种话
I can’t believe you’re making this up.
你这番话就像是出自克莱德菲奇所写的闹剧一样
It sounds like something out of an old Clyde Fitch play.
克莱德菲奇 尽管你可能不这么认为
Clyde Fitch, though you may not think so,
但他的年代比我还早
was well before my time.
我一直不相信林肯遇刺那一晚
I always deny that you were in Our American Cousin
你正在演出”美国表哥”
the night Lincoln was shot.
– 这笑话一点都不好笑 – 当然好笑
– I don’t think that’s funny. – Of course it is.
这简直是太可笑了
This is all too laughable to be anything else.
知道我对你 因我们是老少配而疑神疑鬼
You know what I feel about your age obsession.
现在又因为我和一个梦想成为演员的小女孩
And this getting into a jealous froth
谈了十分钟就醋性大发有何感想吗?
because I spent ten minutes with a stage-struck kid.
– 20分钟 – 30分钟 40分钟 有何差别?
– 20! – 30 minutes, 40 minutes. What of it?
一个梦想成为演员的女孩子 年轻又拥有许多特质
Stage-struck. She’s a young lady of qualities.
我受够了 她既年轻又拥有许多特质
And I’m fed up with both the young lady and her qualities.
把我当成戏剧或蓝图一样研究
Studying me as if I were a play or a blueprint.
研究我如何走路 谈话 思考 演戏和睡觉
How I walk, talk, think, act, sleep.
你怎能因一个孩子尽其所能
How can you take offense at a kid
向她的偶像看齐而发怒?
trying to be like her ideal?
别再称她孩子
Stop calling her a kid.
不幸的是 我希望我生命中的某些东西
As it happens, there are particular aspects of my life
我能够独自拥有
to which I would like to maintain sole and exclusive rights and privileges.
– 比方说?- 比方说…你
– For instance, what? – For instance, you.