于是我中途辍学 前往密尔瓦基
So I quit school, went to Milwaukee,
在一家酿酒厂当秘书
became a secretary in a brewery.
做酿酒厂秘书后 我就很难
When you’re a secretary in a brewery,
再假装自己是其他的一切
it’s hard to make believe you’re anything else.
啤酒就是我的一切
Everything is beer.
尽管工作乏味 但对贴补家用不无小补
It wasn’t much fun, but it helped at home.
那儿有一个小型的剧团
And there was a little theatre group there,
就像是沙漠中的一滴露水
like a drop of rain on the desert.
我在那儿遇见了艾迪
That’s where I met Eddie.
他是一位无线电技师
He was a radio technician.
我们合作演出三场
We played Liliom for three performances.
我的演技惨不忍♥赌
I was awful.
后来战争爆发 我们也结了婚
Then the war came and we got married.
艾迪投效空军
Eddie was in the air force.
军方将他送到南太平洋
They sent him to the South Pacific.
你在作战新闻处工作 对吧 理查德先生?
You were with the OWI, weren’t you, Mr. Richards?
杂♥志♥是这么写的
That’s what Who’s Who says.
艾迪离开之后 我又整天与啤酒为伍
Well, with Eddie gone, my life went back to beer.
除了每天接到一封来信之外
Except for a letter a week.
他在一封信中提到 他就快放假了
One week he wrote me he had leave coming up.
我开始存钱准备休假 然后到旧金山找他
I’d saved my money and vacation time and went to San Francisco to meet him.
但艾迪并没有出现
But Eddie wasn’t there.
我接到一封来自密尔瓦基的电报
They forwarded the telegram from Milwaukee.
一封自华盛顿转寄来的电报
The one that came from Washington.
上面说 艾迪回不来了
To say that Eddie wasn’t coming at all.
他死了
That Eddie was dead.
因此 我便决定留在旧金山
I figured I’d stay in San Francisco.
我好孤独 没有艾迪同行我无法回去
I was alone. I couldn’t go back without Eddie.
我找到一份工作 他的保险金也帮我度过难关
I found a job, and his insurance helped.
而且旧金山有不少剧院
And there were theatres in San Francisco.
玛格演出回忆的那一夜
And then, one night, Margo Channing came to play in Remembrance,
我去看了
and I went to see it.
然后我就在这儿了
Here I am.
太感人了 屋漏偏逢连夜雨
What a story. Everything but the bloodhounds snapping at her rear end.
伯蒂 有些人生经验是在剧院看不到的
There are some human experiences that do not take place in a vaudeville house!
这一点是连三流演员都应该了解的
And that even a fifth-rate vaudevillian should understand and respect.
– 我为伯蒂向你道歉 – 你无须为我道歉
– I want to apologize for Birdie. – You don’t have to apologize for me.
抱歉 如果我伤了你的心
I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings.
我这个人说话就是这样
It’s just my way of talking.
科南小姐 你并未刺伤我的心
You didn’t hurt my feelings, Miss Coonan.
叫我伯蒂就行了
Call me Birdie.
至于三流的演员
And as for being fifth-rate,
我曾当过11年的明星 这一点你是知道的
I closed the first half for eleven years, and you know it.
我的飞机再过47分便要起飞 而你呢?
47 minutes from now my plane takes off and how do I find you?
– 根本像一座垃圾堆 – 多谢你的夸奖
– Not ready, looking like a junkyard. – Thank you so much.
你是故意的?
Is it sabotage?
难道你一点都不关心我的事业?
Have you no human consideration?
找个人来 或许我就会了
Show me a human and I might have.
飞机是不等人的
Airlines have clocks, even if you don’t.
我从周一开始拍摄一周
I start shooting a week from Monday.
札纳克是很没耐心的 他需要我
Zanuck is impatient.
你开口闭口札纳克 难道他是你的爱人?
Zanuck, Zanuck! What are you two? Lovers?
就某些方面而言是 你漂亮多了
Only in some ways. You’re prettier.
我只是一座垃圾堆
I’m a junkyard.
– 比尔 她叫夏娃·赫灵顿 – 你好
– Bill. This is Eve Harrington. – Hi.
我亲爱的垃圾堆
My wonderful junkyard.
你在垃圾堆中实现梦想
The mystery and dreams you find in a junkyard.
神啊 救救我吧
Heaven help me.
我爱上了一个神经病
I love a psychotic.
– 你叫什么名字?- 夏娃 夏娃·赫灵顿
– Hello. What’s your name? – Eve Harrington.
– 你们已经见过面了 – 在哪儿?
– You’ve already met. – Huh? Where?
– 这里 刚才 – 那很好啊
– Right here, just a minute ago. – That’s nice.
– 你要走了?- 我想我该走了
– You’re not going, are you? – I think I’d better.
我难以表达我的感受
It’s been… I can hardly find the words to say how it’s been.
不 别走
No, don’t go.
山普森先生要走
The four of you must have so much to say
你们四个一定有许多话要聊
to each other with Mr. Sampson leaving.
不 请你留下来
No, stick around, please.
这样吧 把这位天才送上飞机后
Tell you what. We’ll put Stanislavsky on his plane,
我们再找个地方聊聊
then go somewhere and talk.
如果我不碍事的话
Well, if I’m not in the way…
我马上就好了
I won’t be a minute.
洛伊 我们该走了
Lloyd, we’ve got to go.
晚安 玛格
Good night, Margo.
— 明天再打电♥话♥给你 – 别太早打来
– I’ll call you tomorrow. – Not too early.
– 天才 祝你幸运 – 天才是不需要靠运气的 不过我需要
– Good luck, genius. – Geniuses don’t need good luck. I do.
– 我不会担心你的 – 那就别担心
– I’m not worried about you. – Keep the thought.
晚安 夏娃 希望很快就能再见到你
Good night, Eve. I hope I see you again soon.
明天我会来看日场的
I’ll be at the old stand tomorrow matinee.
不只是来看戏 我们已经是朋友了
Not just that way. As a friend.
我会的
I’d like that.
夏娃 幸会了
It’s been a real pleasure, Eve.
希望如此 晚安了 理查德先生
I hope so, Mr. Richards. Good night.
晚安
Good night.
理查德太太
Mrs. Richards?
我这辈子不会忘记今晚的
I’ll never forget this night as long as I live.
也不会忘记 是你让我美梦成真
And I’ll never forget you for making it possible.
夏娃 我也不会忘记你的
And I’ll never forget you, Eve.
洛伊和我那一晚上哪儿去了?
Where were we going that night, Lloyd and I?
真奇怪 有些事令人难以忘怀
Funny, the things you remember
但有些事就是记不起来
and the things you don’t.
– 你要去好莱坞 – 嗯哼
– So you’re going to Hollywood? – Mm- hm.
– 为什么问?- 只是好奇
– Why? – I just wondered.
– 对什么感到好奇?- 为什么?
– Just wondered what? – Why?
– 什么?- 你为什么必须去那儿?
– Why what? – Why you have to go out there.
– 不是必须 是我自己要去的 – 为了钱?
– I don’t have to. I want to. – Is it the money?
八成的收入都缴税了
80% of it’ll go for taxes.
那么为什么?
Then why?
既然你是最成功的年轻剧场导演?
Why, if you’re the most successful young director in the theatre…
剧场啊!剧场
The theatre. The theatre.
谁规定戏剧只能生存在
What rules say the theatre exists only within some ugly buildings
纽约的丑陋建筑之中
crowded into one square mile of New York City?
或是伦敦 巴黎和维也纳
Or London, Paris or Vienna?
孩子 多听多学吧
Listen, Junior, and learn.
知道戏剧是什么吗?马戏团 歌♥剧
Do you wanna know what the theatre is? A flea circus. Also opera.
骑术表演 嘉年华会 芭蕾舞
Also rodeos, carnivals, ballets,
印地安舞 滑稽木偶戏 单人乐队 这些都是戏剧
Indian tribal dances, Punch and Judy, a one-man band, all theatre.
只要有人演戏有人看戏的地方 就是剧场
Wherever there’s magic and make-believe and an audience, there’s theatre.
唐老鸭 易卜生 孤独牛仔
Donald Duck, Ibsen and The Lone Ranger.
莎拉伯·恩哈德 普铎·汉尼佛
Sarah Bernhardt and Poodles Hanneford.
郎特 方汤尼 贝蒂盖伯
Lunt and Fontanne, Betty Grable.
野马雷克斯 伊莲诺拉杜丝 都是戏剧
Rex the Wild Horse, Eleonora Duse, all theatre.
你并不了解他们 也不喜欢他们
You don’t understand them all. You don’t like them all.
你没这个必要
Why should you?
戏剧应该是为人人而演 包括你在内而
The theatre’s for everybody, you included,
不该曲高和寡
but not exclusively.
别急着表示同意或反对
So, don’t approve or disapprove.
也许你不喜欢这出戏
It may not be your theatre,
但一定总会有人喜欢
but it’s theatre for somebody, somewhere.
我只是问了一个简单的问题
I just asked a simple question.
我该闭嘴了
And I shot my mouth off.
别介意 我不是针对你
Nothing personal, Junior. No offense.
只是有关戏剧的流言太多
It’s just that there’s so much bushwa in this ivory greenroom they call the theatre,
有时都快把我逼疯了
sometimes it gets up around my chin.
但你绝对不能待在好莱坞
But Hollywood. You mustn’t stay out there.
– 我只是过去导一出戏 – 很多人都一去不回
– It’s only a one-picture deal. – So few come back.
我每星期都会看戏剧评论
I read George Jean Nathan every week.
– 包括艾迪森杜威在内?- 每天
– Also Addison DeWitt. – Every day.
你无须告诉我
You didn’t have to tell me.
我知道最近流行戴一个耳环
It’s the latest thing, one earring.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!