难道你没觉得相当昂贵吗?
Apart from everything else, don’t you find it expensive?
站票并不太贵 我还凑得出来
Standing room doesn’t cost much. I manage.
– 我带你去见玛格 – 不要
– I’m gonna take you to Margo. – Oh, no!
走吧 你一定得见见她
Oh, yes. She’s got to meet you.
算了吧 我会打扰到她的
No, I’d be imposing on her.
我不过是个会激动得目瞪口呆的戏迷
I’d be just another tongue-tied fan.
这世上不会再有像你这样的戏迷了
There isn’t another like you. There couldn’t be.
下次吧 瞧我这副德性
If I’d known… Some other time. Looking like this.
你这样不错啊 对了 你叫什么名字?
You look just fine. By the way, what’s your name?
夏娃 夏娃·赫灵顿
Eve. Eve Harrington.
– 晚安 葛斯 – 晚安 理查德太太
– Good evening, Gus. – Good evening, Mrs. Richards.
– 晚安 – 葛斯 晚安
– Good night. – Good night, Gus.
还能呼吸吧?
You can breathe it, can’t you?
这里仿佛充满神奇的香水
Like some magic perfume.
在这儿等 别走开
Wait right here. Don’t run away.
如果南方赢得战争
“If the South had won,
你可以为此方写同样的故事
you could write plays about the North.”
– 嗨 – 好
– Hi. – Hello!
– 音乐会如何?- 很大声
– How’s concert – Loud
你可能会说 我们不仅是饥渴
“We was more starved out, you might say.
这就是我不懂这些…
That’a why I don’t understand all these plays
有关求爱若渴的南方女性的戏剧
” about love-starved Southern women.”
我们南方人从不缺乏爱
“Love is one thing we were never starved for in the South.”
玛格接受了来自南方的女记者访问
Margo’s interview with a reporter from the South.
访问登出后 势必会再度点燃南北战争
When it gets printed, they’re gonna fire on Gettysburg again.
佛特桑特才是他们攻击的目标
It was Fort Sumter they fired on.
我没扮演过佛特桑特
I never played Fort Sumter.
他说的对 洛伊 当个勇敢的剧作家吧
Honeychild had a point. Lloyd, honey, be a playwright with guts.
为我写一出关于…
Write me one about a nice,
一个良家妇女射杀丈夫的戏剧吧
normal woman who just shoots her husband.
– 你需要新的束腰 – 去买♥♥一些吧
– You need new girdles. – Buy some.
– 相同的尺寸?- 当然
– Same size? – Of course.
我发现这些哗众取宠的评论 愈来愈乏味了
I find these wisecracks increasingly less funny.
“林中岁月”是一部杰出的作品
Aged in Wood happens to be a fine play.
真是我忠贞不二的老婆
That’s my loyal little woman.
如果剧评家这么认为 观众当然也这么认为
The critics thought so. The audiences think so.
万人空巷 票在数月前就被抢♥购♥一空
Packed houses, tickets four months in advance.
洛依的戏从未让你受到伤害
I can’t see that Lloyd’s plays have hurt you any.
– 亲爱的 别激动 – 放轻松 我这张嘴就是贱
– Easy now. – Relax, kid, it’s just me and my big mouth.
有时你真的会把我逼疯
You get me so mad sometimes.
你是全天下最幸福的女人
Of all the women with nothing to complain about…
– 是吗?- 没错
– Ain’t it the truth? – Yes, it is.
你才华洋溢 名利双收
You’re talented, famous, wealthy.
总有人夜复一夜在外等侯 风雨无阻
People waiting around night after night just to see you. Even in the rain.
全是要签名的戏迷
Autograph fiends. They’re not people.
他们不配当人 根本就是成群的郊狼
Little beasts that run around in packs like coyotes.
他们是你的戏迷 你的观众
They’re your fans, your audience.
他们根本不是戏迷
They’re nobody’s fans.
他们是不良少年 神经病
They’re juvenile delinquents.
他们根本不是戏迷
They’re nobody’s audience.
他们根本没看过戏剧或是电影
They never see a play or a movie.
他们在室内是坐不久的
They’re never indoors long enough.
现在 门外就有一个
Well, there’s one indoors right now.
– 我已带她来见你 – 什么?
– I’ve brought her back to see you. – You’ve what?
她正在门外
She’s just outside the door.
撵她走
The heave-ho.
你不可以撵她走 我已答应过她
But you can’t put her out. I promised.
玛格 你非见不可
Margo, you’ve got to see her.
她对你崇拜不已
She worships you.
你就像是魔法书一般使她着迷不已
It’s like something out of a book.
那种书早已绝版 凯伦 那种日子早就过去了
That book is out of print. Those days are gone.
但只要你见她一面
But if you’d only see her.
你就是她生命的全部
You’re her whole life.
你一定看过她 她总是在外面徘徊
You must have spotted her by now. She’s always there.
身穿军用雨衣头戴小丑帽 鬼鬼祟祟的那一个
Oh, the mousy one with the trench coat and the funny hat.
我怎么会没见过 夜场和日场都能见到她
How could I miss her? Every night, every matinee.
进来吧 夏娃
Come in, Eve.
– 我以为你把我给忘了 – 怎么会呢
– I thought you’d forgotten about me. – Not at all.
玛格 她叫夏娃·赫灵顿
Margo, this is Eve Harrington.
– 幸会 – 天啊
– How do you do, my dear? – Oh, brother.
– 你好 钱宁小姐 – 我丈夫
– Hello, Miss Channing. – My husband.
– 你好 赫灵顿小姐 – 幸会 理查德先生
– Hello, Miss Harrington. – How do you do?
她是我的至友兼侍伴 伯蒂·科南小姐
And this is my dear friend and companion, Miss Birdie Coonan.
– 天啊 – 科南小姐
– Oh, brother. – Miss Coonan.
– 怎么了?- 她简直是判若两人
– Oh, brother, what? – When she gets like this,
她要扮演哈姆雷特的母亲
she starts playing Hamlet’s mother.
伯蒂 我相信浴室的工作 你一定还没忙完
I’m sure you must have things to do in the bathroom, Birdie, dear.
就算已经做完我也会找事做
If I haven’t, I’ll find something
直到你恢复正常为止
till you get normal.
这伯蒂真是的 坐啊 霍灵顿小姐
Won’t you sit down, Miss Worthington?
赫灵顿
Harrington.
– 抱歉 赫灵顿 坐 – 谢谢
– I’m so sorry. Won’t you sit down? – Thank you.
想喝杯饮料吗?你身旁有一杯
Would you like a drink?
我刚告诉他们 你对他们的戏是多么捧场
I was saying how often you’ve seen the play.
不 谢了
No, thank you.
对 每一场我都看了
Yes, I’ve seen every performance.
每一场?你这么喜欢?
Every performance? Then am I safe in assuming you like it?
我喜欢钱宁小姐的一切
I’d like anything Miss Channing played in.
真的吗?真窝心
Would you really? How sweet.
我就不信你会喜欢披上猩猩皮的她
I doubt very much that you’d like her in The Hairy Ape.
理查德先生 您误会了
Please don’t misunderstand me, Mr. Richards.
我发现钱宁小姐的过人之处在于挑选剧本
I think part of Miss Channing’s greatness lies in her ability to pick the best plays.
她会出现在您的新品作中吧?
Your new play is for Miss Channing, isn’t it?
当然
Of course it is.
媒体的评价如何?
How did you hear about it?
我喜欢时代日报所下的标题
There was an item in The Times.
“天花板上的脚印”
I like the title, Footsteps on the Ceiling.
我们还是回到原来的话题吧
Yes, but let’s get back to this one.
– 真的每一场你都看过吗?- 对
– Have you really seen every performance? – Yes.
为什么?我很好奇
Why? I’m curious.
不来看戏 我便无处可去
Well, if I didn’t come to see the play, I wouldn’t have anywhere else to go.
还有别的戏可以看啊
There are other plays.
没有你演出的戏我不看
Not with you in them.
不是理查德先生所导的戏我也不看
Not by Mr. Richards.
可是你一定有家人和朋友吧
But you must have friends, a home, family?
说来听听吧 夏娃
Tell us about it, Eve.
– 真不知该从何说起 – 试试看嘛
– If I only knew how. – Try.
从上一出戏开始说起吧
Well, it started with the play before this one.
– “回忆” – 回忆
– Remembrance. – Remembrance.
– 你是在纽约看的吗?- 旧金山
– Did you see it here in New York? – San Francisco.
那是上周的事了 有一晚我去看
It was the last week. I went one night.
那一夜就成了我生命中最重要的一夜
The most important night of my life,
直到今晚之前
until now.
我发现我每一晚都会去看
I found myself going the next night and the next and the next.
每一场表演
Every performance.
后来那场戏来到东岸演出 我也跟着来到东岸
Then, when the show went East, I went East.
夏娃 你为何不从头开始说
Eve, why don’t you start at the beginning?
你们不会感兴趣的
Oh, it couldn’t possibly interest you.
说嘛
Please.
从我的老家威斯康辛 开始说起吧
I guess it started back home. Wisconsin, that is.
我家只有爸妈和我三个人
It was just Mom and Dad and me.
我是家中的独生女
I was an only child.
我从小就喜欢表演
I used to make believe a lot when I was a kid.
什么都演 纯粹只是为了好玩
Acted out all sorts of things. What they were isn’t important.
但后来表演逐渐占据我的生命
But, somehow, acting and make- believe began to fill up my life more and more.
我也逐渐分不清♥真♥实和虚幻
It got so I couldn’t tell the real from the unreal.
只觉得虚幻比真实更真实
Except that the unreal seemed more real to me…
– 我在胡言乱语吧?- 一点也不会
– I’m talking a lot of gibberish, aren’t I? – Not at all.
当时的农民生活贫困 家父就是一个农民
Farmers were poor in those days. That’s what Dad was, a farmer.
我必须帮忙负担家计
I had to help out.