– 还记得吗 凯伦?- 记得
– Remember, Karen? – I remember.
你会出现在我眼前吧?
You’ll be there, won’t you?
我会尽到做丈夫的义务的
Often enough to keep the franchise.
不再假扮 不论是在台下或台下
No more make-believe, offstage or on.
记得吗 洛伊?从现在开始
Remember, Lloyd? I mean it now.
洛伊 你愿意向我保证 不生我的气?
Lloyd, will you promise not to be angry with me?
– 这得视情况而定 – 我是指勃然大怒
– That depends. – No, I mean deeply angry.
我不会的
I don’t think I could be.
我不想扮演可拉了
Well, I don’t want to play Cora.
– 什么?- 别激动 你对他的戏剧总是挑剔不已
– What? – You’re always so touchy about his plays.
这与角色无关
It isn’t the part.
这是一出杰出的戏剧了不起的角色
It’s a great part and a fine play.
但不再适合我了
But not for me anymore.
不再适合一个即将结婚的女人
Not for a foursquare, upright, downright, forthright, married lady.
结婚跟这件事何干?
What’s your being married got to do with it?
结婚代表 我终于能过个像样的生活
It means I’ve finally got a life to live.
我无须再晚上无事可做
I don’t have to play parts I’m too old for
而扮演过于年轻的角色
just because I’ve got nothing to do with my nights.
洛伊 我知道你已拟好计划 相信我 我会配合的
Oh, Lloyd, I’ll make it up to you, believe me.
我将继续巡回演出这出戏一年
I’ll tour a year with this one, anything.
你能体谅吧?
Only you do understand, don’t you?
– 什么事那么好笑?- 没事
– What’s so funny? – Nothing.
– 没事?- 一切都那么可笑
– Nothing? – Everything. Everything’s so funny.
洛依从未问过我
Lloyd never got around to asking
由夏娃演出可拉是否恰当
whether it was all right with me for Eve to play Cora.
说来奇怪
Bill, oddly enough,
比尔一开始拒绝导这出由夏娃演出的戏
refused to direct the play at first, with Eve in it.
洛伊和马克斯最后才说服他
Lloyd and Max finally won him over.
玛格从未来排演
Margo never came to rehearsal.
她说家里有太多杂务
“Too much to do around the house, ” she said.
我从没想到比尔和洛伊
I’d never known Bill and Lloyd to fight as bitterly and often,
会为了夏娃而经常争执不休
and always over some business for Eve,
为了她的一个动作 或是念对白的方式
or a move, or the way she read a speech.
也不知道洛伊会干预比尔的指导
But I’d never known Lloyd to meddle as much with Bill’s directing,
影响夏娃的方式
as far as it affected Eve, that is.
夏娃让他们不断起争执
Somehow Eve kept them going.
比尔没有坚持 洛伊似乎很开心
Bill stuck it out. Lloyd seemed happy.
我想 我最好还是不要再来看他们排练
And I thought it might be best if I skipped rehearsals from then on.
我总有预感会发生这种事 后来真的发生了
It seemed to me I had known always that it would happen. And here it was.
我感到非常无助 当你除了爱你的丈夫之外
I felt helpless. That helplessness you feel when you have no talent to offer,
无法给他任何东西时 你会感到无助
outside of loving your husband.
我怎么和她竞争?洛伊爱我的一切
How could I compete? Everything Lloyd loved about me,
他早就习以为常了
he’d gotten used to long ago.

Hello?
谁?谁打电♥话♥来找理查德先生?
Who? Who’s calling Mr. Richards?
我的名字并不重要 我住在夏娃·赫灵顿对面
My name wouldn’t mean anything. I room across the hall from Eve Harrington.
她人不舒服 她整夜哭个不停 歇斯底里
She isn’t well. She’s been crying all night and she’s hysterical.
不愿看医生
She doesn’t want a doctor and…
谁打来的?怎么了?
Who is it? What’s it all about?
赫小姐叫你打来吗?
Did Miss Harrington tell you to call?
没有 夏娃没有叫我打给他
Oh, no. Eve didn’t say to call him.
但我曾看见他们在一起
I saw Mr. Richards with her a couple of times.
因此我想他们既然那么要好
I thought, they being such good friends…
喂 我是洛伊·理查德
This is Lloyd Richards.
夏娃在哪儿?我要跟她讲话
Where is Eve? Let me talk to her.
理查德先生 她在楼上的房♥间
Hello, Mr. Richards. She’s upstairs in her room.
我实在不愿在深夜打扰你
I really hate to bother you this way,
但是依夏娃现在的状况
but the way Eve’s been feeling,
我担心她明天无法前往新哈芬
I’ve been worried sick, what with her leaving tomorrow for New Haven.
叫她别担心 我马上到
Tell her not to worry. Tell her I’ll be right over.
在戏剧界中康乃迪克的新哈芬
To the theatre world, New Haven, Connecticut,
是舒伯特剧院和塔福饭店之间的跳板
is a short stretch of sidewalk between the Shubert Theatre and the Taft Hotel,
这里就像是一座小城市
surrounded by what looks very much like a small city.
剧场经理会在这里举♥行♥”城外首演”
It is here that managers have what are called out-of-town openings,
这是专为愿意出城的纽约客举♥行♥的首演
which are openings for New Yorkers who want to go out of town.
真是美好的一天
What a day. What a heavenly day.
– 绝地大反♥攻♥的日子 – 没错
– D-day. – Just like it.
明天早上 你将在不朽的海岸
Tomorrow morning, you will have won your beachhead
赢得自己的滩头
on the shores of immortality.
别再反覆说着 你将写的专栏内容
Stop rehearsing your column.
说来奇怪 艾迪森
Isn’t it strange, Addison?
我以为自己会惊慌失措 想逃离这一切
I thought I’d be panic-stricken, want to run away or something.
但我却等不及今晚的来临 今晚的来临和逝去
Instead, I can’t wait for tonight to come. To come and go.
你对明天早上那么有把握?
Are you that sure of tomorrow?
– 你没有吗?- 老实说有十足的把握
– Aren’t you? – Frankly, yes.
今晚将是值得怀念的一夜
It’ll be a night to remember.
我的一切梦想都将在今夜成真
It’ll bring me everything I’ve ever wanted.
向过去道别 迈向新的道路
The end of an old road, the beginning of a new one.
– 一条铺满钻石与黄金的道路?- 你比我了解
– All paved with diamonds and gold? – You know me better than that.
铺满什么?
Paved with what, then?
星星
Stars.
几点了?
What time?
快四点了
Almost four.
还可以好好睡个午觉
Plenty of time for a nice, long nap.
昨晚我们就排演得差不多了
We rehearsed most of last night.
现在你睡得着?
You could sleep now, couldn’t you?
– 为什么睡不着?- 果然是真正的杀手
– Why not? – The mark of a true killer.
好好养精蓄锐一番再出来战斗
Sleep tight, rest easy and come out fighting.
你为何称我为杀手?
Why did you call me a killer?
我说杀手?我是指高手 我搞混了
Did I say killer? I meant champion. I get my boxing terms mixed.
艾迪森 进来一下好吗?
Addison, come in for a minute, will you?
我有话告诉你
I’ve got something to tell you.
这套房♥不便宜 你这么奢侈?
Suites are for expense accounts. You’re being extravagant.
钱是马克斯付的
Max is paying for it.
他和洛伊大吵了一架 但洛伊坚持要他付
He and Lloyd had a terrific row, but Lloyd insisted.
– 能为你倒杯饮料吗?- 也是马克斯买♥♥的?
– Can I fix you a drink? – With the reluctant compliments of Max?
是洛伊 我没这个习惯
Lloyd. I never have any.
他喜欢在下戏之后喝几杯 所以就叫人送上来
He likes a few drinks after we finish, so he sent it up.
苏打就好 洛依一定期望能在新哈芬创下记录
Some plain soda. Lloyd must be expecting a record run in New Haven.
这是为今晚准备的 你也是受邀者
That’s for tonight. You’re invited.
我们将在表演结束后 邀请大家上来
We’re having everyone up after the performance.
我们?
“We are?”
洛依和我
Lloyd and I.
凯伦并未来这儿观赏首演令我感到很奇怪
I find it odd that Karen isn’t here for the opening.
– 艾迪森 – 她对洛伊一向是
– Addison… – She was always so devoted to Lloyd.
死心塌地 至死不渝
One would think only death could keep her…
艾迪森
Addison.
刚才我说 这将是一个难忘的夜晚
I said this would be a night to remember,
我的美梦都在今夜成真
that it would bring me all I ever wanted.
哦 是的 有时是告别过去
Oh, yes. Something about an old road ending
迈向未来的星光大道
and a new one starting, all paved with stars.
我指的不只是在戏剧界
I didn’t mean just the theatre.
还有什么?
What else?
洛伊·理查德
Lloyd Richards.
他即将离开凯伦并与我结婚
He’s going to leave Karen. We’re going to be married.
原来是洛伊
So that’s it. Lloyd.
但这仍然与戏剧有关
Still just the theatre, after all.
这与戏剧毫无关系
It’s nothing of the kind.
洛依和我彼此相爱
Lloyd loves me. I love him.
我对洛依和他的爱人一无所知
I know nothing of Lloyd’s loves.
但我却对你十分了解
I leave those to Louisa May Alcott. But I know you.
我爱洛伊
I’m in love with Lloyd.
洛伊是全美最具票房♥魅力
He is a commercially successful playwright.
你无权这么说
You have no right to say that.
最富艺术气息前景也最被看好的剧作家
And, artistically, very promising.
夏娃 我是艾迪森啊
Eve, dear, this is Addison.
艾迪森 这不是太完美了吗?
Oh, Addison, won’t it be just perfect?
洛依和我携手合作 前途将不可限♥量♥
Lloyd and I. There’s no telling how far we can go.
他为我写好的剧本
He’ll write great plays for me.
我将这些剧本完美的呈现出来
I’ll make them great.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!