你期望我会相信那些话
Do you expect me to believe that you didn’t say any of that?
是他说的而不是你说的吗?
That they were all Addison?
我并不期望你会相信
I don’t expect you to believe anything,
我承认错误 我自取其辱
except that the responsibility is mine, and the disgrace.
别再假惺惺了
Let’s not get overdramatic.
你对我的评价很低吧?
You really have a low opinion of me, haven’t you?
告诉你一个好消息
I’ll give you some pleasant news.
我已成为众矢之的
I’ve been told off in no uncertain terms, all over town.
钱宁小姐知道后 一定会很开心的
Miss Channing should be happy to hear that.
知道她的朋友是何等的忠心
To know how loyal her friends are,
知道我对她 比她心中所想的还要忠心
how much more loyal than she had a right to expect me to be.
– 夏娃 别哭 – 我没哭
– Eve, don’t cry. – I’m not crying.
告诉我你为何和来自好莱坞的人共进午餐?
Tell me, how did your luncheon turn out with the man from Hollywood?
只为了一个试镜机会
Some vague promises of a test.
争取一个演出的机会
If a particular part should come along, one of those things.
但你的演出已获得媒体的赞赏
But the raves about your performance…
一个替身的演出
An understudy’s performance.
你太悲观了 如果没别的事…
Well, I think you’re painting the picture a little blacker than it is, really.
别低估艾迪森
Don’t underestimate him.
你的这个朋友是个有力人士
You have a powerful friend in Addison.
他不是我的朋友 你们曾是我的朋友
He’s not my friend. You were my friends.
– 他可以帮你 – 我真后悔认识他
– He can help you. – I wish I’d never met him.
我希望他下地狱
I’d like him to be dead.
我要我的朋友回来
I want my friends back.
夏娃 我认为你并非想造成不愉快
Eve. I don’t think you meant to cause unhappiness.
但结果却是如此
But you did.
而且使自己比任何人都不快乐
More to yourself perhaps, as it turned out, than to anyone else.
– 我永远都无法走出这个阴影 – 你会的
– I’ll never get over it. – Oh, yes, you will.
你们这些戏剧人一向如此
You theatre people always do.
戏剧界中没有所谓的永远
Nothing is forever in the theatre.
不论它是什么 它就在这儿 它会引燃 燃烧
Whatever it is, it’s here, it flares up, burns hot,
随后消失
and it’s gone.
– 但愿我能相信 – 给自己一点时间
– I wish I could believe that. – Give yourself time.
别太在乎别人怎么想
Don’t worry too much about what people think.
你既年轻又才华洋溢
You’re very young and very talented.
信不信由你 如果有任何需要我…
And, believe it or not, if there’s anything I can do…
的确有
There is something.
– 我知道 – 你能做一件最重要的事
– I think I know. – Something most important you can do.
你想演可拉这个角色
You wanna play Cora.
你要我告诉洛伊我认为应该由你来演
You want me to tell Lloyd I think you should play it.
如果你告诉他 他会让我演的 他答应过我
If you told him so, he’d give me the part. He said he would.
你竟会这样的说
After all you’ve said.
难道你不知道这角色是为玛格所写的吗?
Don’t you know that part was written for Margo?
那是15年前的事了
It might’ve been 15 years ago.
现在 这个角色应该由我来演
It’s my part now.
你的口气就像艾迪森所写的你一样狂妄
You talk just as Addison said you did.
可拉是我的角色 你回去告诉洛依它是我的
Cora is my part. You’ve got to tell Lloyd.
办不到
Nothing in the world will make me say that.
艾迪森要我扮演这个角色
Addison wants me to play it.
– 除非我死 – 未必
– Over my dead body. – That won’t be necessary.
艾迪森知道玛格为何没赶上那场演出
Addison knows how Margo happened to miss that performance,
我知道她无法演出时 及时打电♥话♥通知所有的报社
how I happened to know she’d miss it in time to notify every paper in town.
这个故事非常精彩
It’s quite a story. Addison could make quite a thing of it.
试想他会用多么严厉的口气
Imagine how snide and vicious he could get,
说出真♥相♥
and still tell nothing but the truth.
我劝了他很久
I had a time persuading him.
你最好坐下 你有点站不稳
You better sit down. You look a bit wobbly.
如果我演出可拉 他就不会将真♥相♥公诸于世
If I play Cora, Addison will never tell what happened, in or out of print.
互相帮忙
A simple exchange of favors.
真高兴 我终于能为你做点事了
I’m so happy I can do something for you at long last.
你和玛格之间的友谊
Your friendship with Margo,
你们之间深厚的友谊
your deep, close friendship.
将会产生什么样的变化
What would happen to it
如果她知道你为了我而陷害她
if she knew the cheap trick you played on her for my benefit?
你和洛伊 戏剧界的人要多久
You and Lloyd, how long, even in the theatre,
才会忘记这件事?
before people forgot what happened and trusted you again?
忘不了的
No.
如果由我来扮演可拉 大家就能相安无事
It would be so much easier for everyone concerned if I were to play Cora.
对整个戏剧界也有利
So much better theatre, too.
一出戏中的一个角色
A part in a play.
你做的这一切只为了一出戏中的一个角色
You’d do all that just for a part in a play?
为争取这么好的角色 我还能做出更多事
I’d do much more for a part that good.
饿了吗?
Hungry?
我并不意外 在你受了这么多辱耻之后
I’m not surprised, after all that humble pie.
没这回事 我和凯伦相谈甚欢
Nothing of the kind. Karen and I had a nice talk.
女人之间的谈心?
Heart to heart? Woman to woman?
包括提及 你想扮演可拉这个角色?
Including a casual reference to the part of Cora and your hopes of playing it?
我坦白
I discussed it very openly.
告诉她我向洛伊提过 而且他也乐观其成
I told her I’d spoken to Lloyd, and that he was interested.
凯伦一定是告诉你 玛格想扮演那个角色
And Karen mentioned, of course, that Margo expects to play the part?
奇怪的是 她并未提到玛格
Oddly enough, she didn’t say a word about Margo.
她只说她会尽力帮我争取到那个角色
Just that she’ll be happy to do what she can to see that I play it.
就这样?
Just like that, eh?
就这样
Just like that.
夏娃 有时我总认为你对我有所隐瞒
You know, Eve, sometimes I think you keep things from me.
– 这笑话并不好笑 – 我说的是实话
– I don’t think that’s funny. – It wasn’t meant to be.
我对你所透露的秘密和对你的信赖
I confide in you and rely on you
比我对任何人还要多
more than anyone I’ve ever known.
我现在说出这样的话
To say a thing like that now, without any reason,
当我在最需要你的时候
when I need you more than ever.
希望你说的是实话
I hope you mean what you say.
希望你能说到做到
I intend to hold you to it.
我们之间有许多共同之处
We have a great deal in common, it seems to me.
– 情况如何?- 没什么 她向我道了歉
– Well, what happened? – Nothing much. She apologized.
-痛哭失声?- 痛哭失声
– With tears? – With tears.
但不是一见面就痛哭失声 先兵后礼
But not right away. First fight them back, chin up, stout fellow.
– 没错 – 这是她拿手的模式
– Check. – Very classy. Lots of technique.
你是说这一回她只是向你道歉?
You mean all this time she’s done nothing but apologize?
你如何回应?
What did you say?
没什么
Not much.
新郎 我能要一个结婚礼物吗?
Groom, may I have a wedding present?
– 你要什么 德州?- 我要大家绝口不提夏娃
– What would you like? Texas? – I want everybody to shut up about Eve.
我是我唯一的要求
Just shut up about Eve. That’s all I want.
给凯伦再倒杯酒
Give Karen more wine.
我从未这么快乐过
Never have I been so happy.
这餐厅真漂亮 小熊屋
Isn’t it a lovely room? The Cub Room.
多好听的名字啊 精英分子的聚集之处
What a lovely, clever name. Where the elite meet.
从未看过那么多精英分子
Never have I seen so much elite,
同时将目光集中在我身上
all with their eyes on me,
等待我用酒瓶 去敲那小贱♥人♥的头
waiting for me to crack that little gnome on the noggin with a bottle.
但不是今晚
But not tonight.
今晚我要宽大为怀 即使是对夏娃我要饶了她
I’m forgiving tonight. Even Eve. I forgive Eve.
他们要走了
There they go.
夏娃走了
There goes Eve.
小妖精夏娃
Eve Evil, little Miss Evil.
但塞翁失马… 这句话怎么说 新郎倌?
But “the evil that men do…” How does that go, groom?
焉知非福
Something about the good they leave behind.
我曾在威凯斯巴瑞扮演过这个角色
I played it once in rep in Wilkes-Barre.
你的确是因祸得福
You’ve got it backwards, even for Wilkes-Barre.
知道我为何会原谅夏娃吗?
Do you know why I forgive Eve?
因为她促成了一件好事
She left good behind.
她使我们四人能聚集在此
The four of us here together,
这是夏娃的错 而我原谅了她
it’s Eve fault. I forgive her.
还有比尔 特别是比尔 她也有份
And Bill, especially Bill. She did that too.
或许她是出于一片好意
You know, she probably means well after all.
– 她是卑鄙的小人 – 别想猜透玛格这个人
– She is a louse. – Never try to outguess Margo.
– 新郎 – 什么事 亲爱的?
– Groom? – Yes, dear.
– 知道我将成为什么样的人吗?- 牛仔?
– Do you know what I’m going to be? – A cowboy?
已婚女子 还有一张证书
– A married lady. – With a paper to prove it.
我在6点时抬头一看 他就在眼前
I’m going to look up at six o’clock, and there he’ll be.