我们就可以马上制♥作♥”脚印”一剧
we could put Footsteps into production right away.
– 我渐渐听懂了 – 如果我们能选对演员
– I’m beginning to catch up. – If we can cast it properly, that is.
挑个年轻的来演?
Maybe get some younger actress?
一个和剧中人相符的人?
Someone who’d look the part as well as play it?
这样一定能带来新鲜感
You’ve got to admit, it’d be a novelty.
你是引述艾迪森还是夏娃的话?
Now you’re quoting Addison or Eve.
夏娃的确曾提过这部作品 但只是稍微提起
Eve did mention the play, but in passing.
她并没有要求演出”可拉” 这样的角色
She’d never have the nerve to ask to play a part like Cora.
夏娃会要求牛郎把织女的角色让她演
Eve would ask Abbott to give her Costello.
不会的 这只是我和她讨论这部作品时突然想到的
I got the idea myself while she was talking about the play.
– 还带手势 – 这是我头一遭无须任何妥协
– With gestures, of course. – To write something
写出一部完整的作品
and have it realized completely. For once, not to compromise.
洛依·理查德 你千万不能将可拉的角色
Lloyd Richards, do not consider
给那个小贱♥人♥演
giving that contemptible little worm the part of Cora!
你在说什么
Now just a minute…
多年来 玛格并不是只是个”妥协”
Margo’s not been exactly a compromise.
世上有半数的剧作家前仆后继想得到那个妥协
Playwrights everywhere would give their shirts for that compromise.
等等
Now just a minute…
我突然想到夏娃的不忠与忘恩负义是会传染的
Eve’s disloyalty and ingratitude must be contagious.
你这样小题大作和歇斯底里 只为了一个小孩
All this hysteria because of an impulsive excited kid
受到杜威纵容 而一时口无遮拦?
and a professional manure-slinger named DeWitt.
她道歉了 不是吗?
She apologized, didn’t she?
双脚下跪 这一点毫无疑问
On her knees, I’ve no doubt.
感人落泪 极尽卑微之能事
Very touching. Very Academy of Dramatic Arts.
你离开学校后 说话开始就变得尖酸刻薄
That bitter cynicism is something you’ve acquired since you left Radcliffe.
尖酸刻薄?
That cynicism I acquired the day
我发现自己和小男孩不同时就这样了
I discovered I was different from little boys.

Hello.
玛格
Oh, hi, Margo.
不 一点也不
No, not at all.
凯伦和我只是在闲聊
Karen and I were just chatting.
对 我相信我们能也十分愿意
Yes, I’m sure we can and I’m sure we’d love to.
对 11点45分左右
Right. 11.45ish.
到时候见了
See you then.
玛格和比尔要在今晚演完戏后
Margo and Bill want us to meet them at the Cub Room tonight
在”小熊厅”和我们喝两杯
after the theatre.
玛格·钱宁在小熊厅出现?
Margo Channing in the Cub Room.
这简直是太不可思议了
I couldn’t be more surprised if she’d said Grant’s tomb.
很高兴见到比尔回到她身边
I’m glad Bill’s back.
他们是生命共同体
They’d die without each other.
我并没有答应夏娃任何事
I didn’t promise Eve anything.
我只说她来演这个角色还不错
I said she’d be fine for the part
但仍有一些困难
but there were practical difficulties.
– 比方说 – 比方说…你
– Such as? – You, for one.
我说你希望玛格演这个角色
I told her you wanted Margo to play the part
我不会未经过你同意擅自做主的
and I would want your approval.
这还差不多
That’s fine. Fine and dandy.
夏娃将来的一切要求都必须向我报备
Just refer all of Miss Eve Harrington’s future requests to me.
我对表演艺术的评价并不高
The so-called art of acting is not one for which I have a particularly high regard.
– 说得好 – 但你可以引述我下面的话
– Hear, hear. – But you may quote me as follows.
“今晚玛格·钱宁小姐演出 你那差劲无比的戏剧
“Tonight Miss Margo Channing gave a performance in your cockamamie play,
但她却能化腐朽为神奇 令我想一看再看”
“the like of which I have never seen before and expect rarely to see again.”
他并没有夸大其词 我的确不俗
He does not exaggerate. I was good.
你简直是化腐朽为神奇
You were great.
真是一个美好的夜晚
Quite a night.
我知道你的替身赫小姐已经表示退出
I hear your understudy, a Miss Harrington, has given her notice.
– 真糟糕 – 真是令人遗憾
– Too bad. – I’m broken up about it.
有时 你不能拿起香槟就一饮而尽
You just can’t pick up champagne and drink it.
如何干杯是很有学问的
Somebody’s got to be very witty about a toast.
我诚心举杯 无须任何学问
I shall propose the toast, without wit, with all my heart.
向玛格干杯
To Margo.
– 我的准新娘 – 哈里路亚
– To my bride- to- be. – Glory hallelujah.
– 玛格 – 干
– Margo. – Drink.
对呀 什么时候? 什么时候结婚?
When? When are you going to do it?
明天10点市政♥府♥见
Tomorrow we meet at City Hall at ten.
– 你一定会准时哦 – 遵命
– And you’re going to be on time. – Yes, sir.
市政♥府♥?那地方还不够气派
City Hall, that’s for prizefighters and reporters.
大教堂 教主和花团锦簇才够光彩
I see a cathedral, banks of flowers…
只是为了一张证书
It’s only for the license.
验血报告要等三天及诸如此类的琐事
There’s a three-day wait for blood tests.
即使你没有血 我也会嫁你的
I’ll marry you if it turns out you have no blood at all.
– 你打算穿什么?- 简单就好
– What are you going to wear? – Something simple,
晚礼服套皮毛大衣
a fur coat over a nightgown.
重点是 不论在大教堂 棒球场或是电动游戏场
The point is this. In a cathedral, a ballpark or a penny arcade,
我们都要你们这两个最亲近的朋友在我们身旁
we want you two beside us, as our nearest and dearest friends.
我们会的 永远都会的
Which we are. Which we’ll always be.
这是人生中难忘的一刻 我们把它铭记在心吧
There are very few moments in life as good as this. Let’s remember it.
敬我们从未如此接近
To each of us and all of us, never have we been more close.
愿我们永远如此亲近
May we never be farther apart.
– 理查德太太吗?- 我就是
– Mrs. Richards? – Yes.
– 给你的 – 谢谢
– For you. – Thank you.
真是不知礼数 大庭广众之下拿情书给你
Very indiscreet. A note in the open like that.
下回告诉你的爱人 吐个烟圈或是敲杯子
Next time, tell your lover to blow smoke rings or tap a glass.
洛依 别吃醋
Lloyd, I want you to be big about this.
这世界在今晚充满了爱 没有一个女人是安全的
The world is full of love tonight. No woman is safe.
厚颜无♥耻♥莫过于此
Well, this beats all world’s records for running, jumping or standing gall.
“请原谅我突然打断 你们快乐的聚会
“Forgive my butting in to what seems such a happy occasion,
但我非和你谈谈不可 请务必要来”
“but it’s important that I speak with you.
而且她还在
“‘Please”‘ and that’s underlined,
“化妆室见 夏娃”下画线
“meet me in the ladies’ room. Eve.”
现在我知道她是那里的临时工
I understand she’s now the understudy in there.
给我那个空瓶 或许我能在那儿找到她
Hand me that empty bottle. I may find her.
大情圣在那儿
Well, look. There’s Rasputin.
再来一瓶香槟
Encore du champagne.
– 再来一瓶香槟 钱宁小姐?- 没错 小弟
– More champagne, Miss Channing? – That’s what I said, bub.
或许她是只想道歉
Maybe she just wants to apologize.
我对她想说什么毫无兴趣
I have no interest in anything she may say.
她能说什么呢?我很好奇
But what could she say? That’s what fascinates me.
– 去听听吧 – 凯伦 多年来我们的友谊
– Go on, find out. – Karen, in all the years of our friendship,
我从未让你独自走进化妆室
I have never let you go to the ladies’ room alone.
但现在我不得不这么做 我必须去了解里面
Now I must. I am busting to find out
那颗忐忑不安的心在想什么
what’s going on in that feverish little brain waiting in there.
好吧
Well… All right.
凯伦
Karen!
真有礼貌
How nice.
帅呆了 但为何拿我出气?
Very effective, but why take it out on me?
我好担心你不来
I was wondering whether you’d come at all.
别起来 也别摆出一副太后的架式
Don’t get up. And don’t act as if I were the Queen Mother.
我知道你不会对我和言悦色的
I don’t expect you to be pleasant.
我也没这个打算
I don’t intend to be.
能坐下来吗?
Can’t we sit down just for a minute?
我有许多话对你说 但我却难以启齿
I’ve got a lot to say and none of its easy.
– 不可能 – 但事实却是如此
– There can’t be very much. – But there is.
不论是否难以启齿 总之我是不会相信的
Easy or not, I won’t believe a word of it.
你应该吗?
Why should you?
请坐
Please sit down.
我一直认为自己是个聪明的女孩
You know, I’ve always considered myself a very clever girl.
自己有个聪明的脑袋
Smart, good head on my shoulders, that sort of thing.
从未失言
Never the wrong word at the wrong time.
直到遇上艾迪森为止
But then I’d never met Addison DeWitt.
我记得一次拔牙的经验
I remember I had a tooth pulled once.
他们为我注射了麻♥醉♥药♥ 我忘了药名
They gave me some anaesthetic. I don’t remember the name.
药效非常奇怪
It affected me strangely.
我说了一些未经大脑思考过的话
I found myself saying things I wasn’t even thinking.
仿佛我的灵魂已经出了窍 无法控制我言行
As if my mind was outside of my body and couldn’t control what I did or said.
– 你和艾迪森谈话时也有这种感觉 – 可以这么说
– And you felt like that talking to Addison? – In a way.
我试着想照着自己的意义说
You find yourself trying to say what you mean,
但说出的话却改变了
but somehow the words change.
变成了他的话
They become his words.
我突然无法说出自己的话 而说着他的话
And suddenly you’re not saying what you mean, but what he means.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!