Wonderful to imagine and easy to fall in love with,
但却趋于幻想…
but a little fantastic
而且稍纵即逝…
and fleeting
难以捉摸
and out of reach.
“但却趋于幻想 稍纵即逝而且难以捉摸”
“But a little fantastic and fleeting and out of reach.”
喂?
Hello?
嘿 我是马帝 进行得如何?
Hey, it’s Marty. How’s it going?
和原作者谈过有帮助吗? 她叫什么来的?
Has it been helpful talking to the writer? What’s her name?
苏丝欧琳 很顺利
Susan Orlean. It’s been okay.
我是说有没有什么进展?
Uh-huh. Well, I mean, are you making headway?
薇拉逼得我喘不过气
Valerie’s breathing down my neck.
灵感不能催逼 -好吧好吧 算你有理
You can’t rush inspiration. -Okay. All right. Fair enough.
我打电♥话♥的另一理由 是关于”3″
Listen, the other reason I called was The Three.
简直棒极了
It’s just amazing.
我不知道那是什么 -唐诺的剧本啊
I don’t know what that is. -Donald’s script.
一部慧诘 锐利的恐怖片
A smart, edgy thriller.
是我今年读到最棒的剧本
It’s the best script I’ve read all year.
很好 -是啊 我要卖♥♥它个好价钱
Good. -Yeah, I’m gonna sell it for a shitload.
一家出两个才子
Two fucking talented guys in one family.
其实 何不让你老弟在兰花上助你一臂之力
Maybe you could get your brother to help you with the orchid thing.
马帝 别这样说 我是说
Marty, don’t say that. I mean…
好吧 只是想想而已 老兄
All right. It’s just a thought, buddy.
我是说 他的组织力真是好
I mean, he’s really goddamn amazing at structure.
我得挂断了 -好的 别了 朋友
I have to go. -All right. Adiós, amigo.
赶快完成它
Finish that…
可恶!
Fuck!
好 谢谢
Okay, thank you, thank you.
接着有漫长的三天
We have a long three days ahead.
几年后
Years from now,
你们将会在华丽的酒会上沾沾自喜…
you’ll be at a posh cocktail party congratulating yourself
庆幸有个好莱坞痞子 和你共渡了这个周末
on how you spent a weekend with an asshole from Hollywood for your art.
我真可悲 我是失败者 -那么…
I am pathetic. I am a loser. -So,
写作的真义是什么?
what is the substance of writing?
我失败了 我慌张了
I have failed. I am panicked.
我已经江郎才尽 一无是处
I have sold out. I am worthless.
我还在这里干嘛?
I… What the fuck am I doing here?
我在这里干嘛?真是的
What the fuck am I doing here? Fuck!
这正是我的缺点 我毫无主见的来到这里
It is my weakness, my ultimate lack of conviction that brings me here.
走捷径 让你能一步登天
Easy answers, rules to shortcut yourself to success.
我会来这里是因为我介入这一行却毫无所获
And here I am because my jaunt into the abyss brought me nothing.
这不是想要追求新鲜事物都必须承担风险?
Well, isn’t that the risk one takes for attempting something new?
我应该马上回去
I should leave right now.
我要从头做起 面对我的任务
I’ll start over. I need to face this project head-on…
如果你要使用旁白就只有老天爷能帮助你了
And God help you if you use voice-over in your work, my friends.
老天保佑 那是最草率 最松散的写法
God help you. It’s flaccid, sloppy writing.
哪个白♥痴♥也会使用旁白叙述
Any idiot can write narration…
来说明角色的思想
to explain the thoughts of the character.
好吧 先讲到这里 午餐休息一小时
Okay, that’s it. One hour for lunch.
引领故事发展的主角 不能没有情欲需求
You cannot have a protagonist without desire.
否则就说不出一个道理 毫无道理
It doesn’t make any sense. Any fucking sense.
大家了解吗?很好
You follow? Good.
谁还有问题?
Anyone else?
如果故事内容很少 编剧应该如何铺陈?
What if a writer is attempting to create a story where nothing much happens?
如果人不会改变 就不会产生顿悟
Where people don’t change, they don’t have any epiphanies.
他们挣扎 挫败 却一事无成
They struggle and are frustrated, and nothing is resolved.
这是真实世界的写照
More a reflection of the real world.
真实世界吗?
The real world?
对了 先生
Yes, sir.
就是这个真实世界
The real fucking world.
首先 如果你写的剧本
First of all, you write a screenplay…
没有冲突和危机…
without conflict or crisis,
你会让观众无聊到掉泪
you’ll bore your audience to tears.
其次 世上没有事情发生?
Secondly, nothing happens in the world?
你是不是脑筋打铁了?
Are you out of your fucking mind?
每天有人被谋杀
People are murdered every day.
有种族灭绝 战争 贪污
There’s genocide, war, corruption.
一天又一天 在世界各个角落…
Every fucking day, somewhere in the world,
有人牺牲生命去救别人
somebody sacrifices his life to save somebody.
每天每天 会有神智清明的人决定…
Every day, someone somewhere takes a conscious decision
去毁掉另一个人
to destroy someone else.
有人找到爱情 有人失恋
People find love. People lose it.
天哪 孩子眼睁睁
A child watches a mother…
看着母亲在教堂石阶被打死
beaten to death on the steps of a church.
有人挨饿
Someone goes hungry.
有人为了女色背弃好友
Somebody else betrays his best friend for a woman.
如果你还找不到人生题材…
If you can’t find that stuff in life,
那你对生命 真是一无所知
then you, my friend, don’t know crap about life!
为什么还来浪费我的宝贵时间
And why the fuck are you wasting my two precious hours…
讨论你的电影?
with your movie?
我对你一点帮助都没有!
I don’t have any use for it!
我一丁点都没有帮助!
I don’t have any bloody use for it!
好 谢谢
Okay, thanks.
谢谢你 -甭客气
Thank you. -You’re welcome.
不 谢谢你
No. Thank you.
太感谢你了 马契先生
Thank you so much, Mr. McKee.
这课程让人 重新以不同的角度看待写作
This course makes you look at writing in a whole different way.
马契先生 -是?
Mr. McKee. -Yes?
我是早上被你吼的人
I’m the guy you yelled at this morning.
我没听懂
I need more.
我是那个以为 人生无事的人
I’m the one who thought things didn’t happen in life.
对了 好吧
Ah. Right. Okay.
很高兴认识你 -我需要谈谈
Nice to see you. -I need to talk.
马契先生 我会站在这里 已经够吓人的
Mr. McKee, my even standing here is very scary.
我通常不擅与人交往
I don’t meet people well.
但早上你说的话 震撼到我的骨子里
But what you said this morning shook me to the bone.
你所讲的 不只是如何写作剧本而已
It was bigger than my screenwriting choices.
而是有关如何做人的抉择 请和我谈
It was about my choices as a human being. Please.
是啊
Yeah.
你知道吗…
Well, you know,
我正好需要喝一杯
I could sure use a drink, my friend.
“有些幻想 短暂 和难以捉摸”
“But a little fantastic and fleeting and out of reach.”
然后呢?
Then what happens?
这是书的结尾
Well, that’s the end of the book.
我希望以单纯方式表现…
I wanted to present it simply
不用太渲染的角色特征 或惊悚的故事布局
without big character arcs or sensationalizing the story.
我希望把花卉表现得 一如上帝的奇迹
I wanted to show flowers as God’s miracles.
我要明说 欧琳没有见过鬼兰开花
I wanted to show that Orlean never saw the blooming ghost orchid.
那是一种失望之情
It was about disappointment.
原来如此
I see.
那不是电影
That’s not a movie.
你必须从头来过 加入戏剧成分
You gotta go back, put in the drama.
我已经不能回头
I can’t go back.
我写了一大堆错误的开头和进展
I’ve got pages of false starts and wrong approaches.
交卷限期早就过了 -我教你一招秘诀
I’m way past my deadline. -I’ll tell you a secret.
最后一幕定江山
A last act makes a film.
让观众在结局时大惊失色 你就成功了
Wow them in the end, and you got a hit.
可以有缺陷 有问题
You can have flaws, problems,
但结尾一定要精采…
but wow them in the end
你就成功了
and you’ve got a hit.
找一个结尾 但不能捏造
Find an ending. But don’t cheat.
更不可以滥用解围人物
And don’t you dare bring in a deus ex machina.
你的角色必须有所改变…
Your characters must change
必须是他们自己的变化
and the change must come from them.
那样做 就会很好
Do that and you’ll be fine.
你保证?
You promise?
马契先生
Mr. McKee.
你以前是不是上过我的课?
Have you taken my course before?
那是我弟弟
My brother did.
双胞胎弟弟 唐诺 是他怂恿我来的
My twin brother, Donald. He’s the one who got me to come.
双胞胎编剧? -是的
Twin screenwriters? -Yeah.
朱里士和菲利浦艾斯丁…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!