Hey. -Caroline.
相机很酷 -近来好吗?
Cool camera. -So how are you?
你知道的 一塌糊涂 -查理…
You know me, a mess. -Oh, Charlie,
真的很高兴看到你 工作顺利吗?
it’s really good to see you. Is the work good?
一塌糊涂 我不知道我在做什么
It’s a disaster. I don’t know what I’m doing.
总之 那是我自己的问题
But, anyway, it’s my problem.
别让我扫你的兴
I don’t want to bore you.
你有你自己的事情
You have your stuff, right?
我是说 我们各自有各自的事情
I mean, we both have our own separate stuff.
总之 我得回去了 我正要回家工作
Anyway, I should go. I was heading home to do some work.
你走不走? -不了 今晚我睡凯莲家
You coming? -No, I’m gonna stay at Caroline’s.
在树丛里推呀推呀推
A little push, push in the bush.
唐诺 你真糗!
Donald, you’re such a tard!
再见 查理
See you, Charlie.
描写花卉 编写花的故事…
To write about a flower, to dramatize a flower,
一定要表现出花的弧度
I have to show the flower’s arc.
这个弧度一直弯曲到 生命的开端
And the flower’s arc stretches back to the beginning of life.
花究竟怎么来的? 它有过哪些遭遇?
How did this flower get here? What was its journey?
因此 我必须引用类比推论法…
Therefore, I should infer from analogy that probably
英格兰 一百三十九年前
可能地球上所有有机体的生长…
all the organic beings which have ever lived on this earth
都是来自同一种原生型态…
have descended from some one primordial form
衍化成第一种会呼吸的生命
into which life was first breathed.
这是一种进化过程 适者生存
It is a journey of evolution. -Adaptation.
我们都经历过的
The journey we all take.
把我们全体结合在一起的过程…
A journey that unites each and every one of us.
达尔文认为我们都是 从同一种单细胞演化
Darwin writes that we all come from the very first single-cell organism.
然而我是我
Yet here I am.
老许是老许 还有欧琳
And there’s Laroche. There’s Orlean.
还有鬼兰 陷在各自的躯体之中…
And there’s the ghost orchid. All trapped in our own bodies,
分别存在历史时空某一点上 就是如此
in moments in history. That’s it.
我所要做的 是把所有历史串联起来
That’s what I need to do. Tie all of history together.
远从地球上生命的起端
Start right before life begins on the planet.
当时一切…
All is…
了无生息 然后 生命开始…
lifeless. And then, like, life begins, um,
生成有机体 就是那些单细胞生物
with organisms. Those single-cell ones.
性生活还没开始
Oh, and it’s before sex,
因为好像一切都是无性的
because, like, everything was asexual.
后来演化出较大生物 水母
From there we go to bigger things. Jellyfish.
后来又有长脚的鱼 爬上了陆地
Then that fish that got legs and crawled out on the land.
于是出现了恐龙
And then we see, you know, like, dinosaurs.
恐龙经历一段很长年代
Then they’re around for a long time.
然后一颗流星带来了
Then an asteroid comes and “phwar!”
昆虫 哺乳类 灵长类 猿猴
The insects, the mammals, the primates, monkeys.
单纯的猴子 渐渐出现新的品种
The simple monkeys. Old-fashioned monkeys giving way to the new ones.
诸如 猩猩出现 诸如 然后人类
Whatever. And then apes. Whatever. And man.
接着就是人类文明的历史
Then we see the history of human.
狩猎 战争 情爱…
Hunting, war, love,
心痛 疾病 孤寂 科技
heartache, disease, loneliness, technology.
最后来到苏丝欧琳在纽约客的办公室…
And we end with Susan Orlean in her office at The New Yorker
她正在写花卉报导! 于是乎 电影开场
writing about flowers, and bang! The movie begins.
这正是我期待的突破
This is the breakthrough I’ve been hoping for.
之前未曾做到过
It’s never been done.
马契真是天才!
McKee is a genius!
而且风趣 他的笑话总是引得大家哈哈大笑
Hilarious. He just comes up with these great jokes, and everybody laughs.
但他也很严谨 查理 你会喜欢他的
But he’s serious too, Charles. You’d love him.
他的灵感新颖丰富 和你一样
He’s all for originality, just like you.
但他说 我们必须依照类型来写…
But he says we have to realize that we all write in a genre
要在类型之中寻求创意
and we must find our originality within that genre.
劳勃马契的编剧研讨班
费里尼首创仿记录片类型之前
See, it turns out, there hasn’t been a new genre…
从来没出现过新的类型
since Fellini invented the mockumentary.
我的类型是恐怖片 你的呢?
My genre’s thriller. What’s yours?
我们的遗传基因相同
You and I share the same DNA.
还有什么比这更孤单呢?
Is there anything more lonely than that?
你说啥 老哥?
What’d you say, bro?
是吗? -嘿
Yeah? -Hey.
嘿 苏丝
Hey, Susie
你有什么企图?
What you up to?
我不会太打扰你
I don’t wanna bother you.
我只想来见你 多找些材料
Just thought I’d call and get some more info.
你为何不说些有智慧的话
I think you say some pretty smart things, John.
是啊 所见过最聪明的家伙?
Yeah, smartest guy I know, huh?
那么…
So…
你的苗圃究竟出了什么事?
whatever happened to your nursery?
本来一切都很顺利
It was going pretty well.
只是 天有不测风云 黑暗降临
But, you know, sometimes bad things happen, darkness descends.
九年前 北迈阿密
苗圃生意好吗 约翰?
Nursery business good, Johnny?
万事顺利 金叔
Everything’s good, Uncle Jim.
最近这一年好得出奇
This last year’s been a dream.
跟你说 我们终于转亏为盈了
I’m telling you. Finally pulling out of debt.
阿门 亲爱的 我真以你为荣
Amen, honey. I’m so proud of you two, and…
不 我真抱歉 我不知道
No, ma’am. I’m sorry, I can’t answer that.
不要动 -嘿
Stay right there. -Hey.
等一下 是谁死了?
Hold it. Which ones are dead?
拜托你不要乱动
Sir, please, don’t move.
死了哪些人? -动身了!
Which ones are dead? -Let’s move it!
我害死我妈和叔叔
I killed my mom, you know, and my uncle.
门牙也是那样掉的
Um, that’s how I lost my front teeth.
我老婆昏迷了 大约三个星期
And my wife was in a coma for like three weeks.
一清醒就和我离了婚
And she divorced me soon after she regained consciousness.
我想 如果差点死掉的是我
Well, I think if I almost died,
我也会想要离婚
I would leave my marriage too.
为什么呢?
Why?
因为我可以
Because I could.
就像是张免费票 没有人可以批判…
Because it’s like a free pass. Nobody can judge you
如果你差点死去
if you almost died.
可是 我就批判了她
Well, I judged her.
也许我也受到了批判
Maybe I was being judged too.
没过一个月 安德鲁飓风来袭
It was like a month after that, Hurricane Andrew came and just
好像老天派来的密使 一扑而下
swooped down like an angel of God…
卷走了我所剩的一切
and just wiped out everything I had left.
一切所有
Everything.
我不忍♥心重新经营苗圃…
I knew it’d break my heart to start another nursery,
所以 当塞米诺人找上我…
so, you know, when the Seminoles called,
他们要找个专家白人
wanted a white guy or an expert…
帮忙经营苗圃 我就答应了
to get their nursery going, I took the job.
我不是要帮他们经营 传统式一盆盆的花草
I wasn’t gonna give them a conventional little potted-plant place.
我要给他们一些…
I was gonna give them something
奇特的东西 你懂吗?
amazing, you know?
我了解
Yeah, I know, John.
我知道
I know.
我准备给他们一些神奇的
“I was going to give them something amazing.”
兰花痴 苏丝欧琳著
写得真美 你的见解独到
It’s beautifully written. You have such a unique voice.
谢谢
Thank you very much. Ahem.
我们是你的忠实书迷 -谢谢
We’re big fans. -Oh, thank you.
老许的角色真有趣
Laroche is such a fun character.
是啊 -有趣而且新鲜
Yeah. -It’s funny and fresh.
也带着点感伤
And sad in a way.
不知道你下一篇要写什么
So we were wondering what’s next.
兰登屋来找我接洽过…
Well, Random House has asked me
想把它扩展成书 我会忙于此事
to expand it into a book, so I’m gonna be doing that.
而且 -苏丝 我们想要买♥♥断
And… -Susan, we would like to option this.
你们要改编成电影? -拍电影
You wanna make it into a movie? -Into a movie.
噢 天哪!
Ha, ha, ha. Oh, God!
真的太… -你觉得如何?
That’s really… -How does that sound?
叫人兴奋 -很好
That’s very exciting. -Good.
有点滑稽 我不曾思考过 我没有编剧过
It’s just comical. I hadn’t thought of it. I’ve never written a screenplay before.
这不用你担心 我们有编剧会负责
Don’t worry about that. We have screenwriters to write the screenplay.
嘿 超级巨星
Hey, superstar.
我是马帝 超级代理人

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!