Why shouldn’t we get something out of it?
为什么我们就不能这么干
I don’t want their money. All I want is Leo.
我不想要他们的钱,我只想要里奥活着
Who do you think the money’s for? It’s for him when he gets out.
你以为这些钱是干吗用的?就是为了救他出来
He’s always wanted to make some improvements around here, build some cabins for tourists…
他总想把这儿弄得好一点,建个小旅馆
buy a new car, have a little money in the bank.
买♥♥辆车,银行里存点钱
It’ll make things easier for him. Doesn’t that make sense, Papa?
我这是在帮他,你不明白吗爸爸
Mr. Tatum!
塔图姆先生
How is he? Pretty good.
他怎么样? 很好
Does it hurt him bad? Is he getting any sleep? Sure, he’s fine.
很疼吗?能睡着吗? 当然,他很不错
Well, you ought to see him… smoking a cigar, reading the paper.
你应该看看他多好,吸烟,读报纸
He’s making plans.
还在计划着呢
All the doctor says is he’s doing as well as can be expected.
医生说他情况很好
What does that mean? Means he’s gonna be fine.
这是什么意思? 就是说他不会有事
Means everything’s gonna be fine, doesn’t it, Mr. Tatum?
是说一切都会没事,对吧塔图姆先生
How is he, mister? Did you see him?
他怎么样,先生?你看到他了吗?
Is he holding out? Is he all right?
他还能坚持吗? 他没事吧?
What did he have to say? When do you think they’ll get him out?
他说什么了吗? 你觉得他什么时候能出来?
Go ahead. I guess you need a drink.
喝吧,你需要喝点东西
Care to join me?
要喝一杯?
Looks like the only other glass we have is one of these candle jiggers.
看来没有杯子了,只有几个烛台
Sensational copy you’ve been sending in.
你送来的新闻都很不错
Glad you like it. Had to get out an extra every day.
还好你喜欢 每天都要加印
Circulation jumped 8,000.
发行量增加了八千份
What’d you come down for? To pin a medal on me?
您还有什么事吗?要给我发奖杯?
You’ve got a medal. And I know how you got it.
你已经得到奖杯了,我知道你是怎么得到的
What else do you know?
你还知道什么?
Heard a few things in Albuquerque about how you’re handling this story.
在阿尔伯克基听到了一些,你干的事
I didn’t like it.
我很不喜欢
Now that I’m here, I like it even less.
来这儿以后更不喜欢了
Suppose you stop beating around the bush.
你终于开始实话实说了
Tatum, you’ve been putting a halo around that Kretzer sheriff…
塔图姆,听说你在替那个警长克雷策宣传
so you could hog the whole story.
这样你就能垄断整个新闻
That’s the setup, isn’t it?
这都是安排好的,对吧?
Oh. For a minute, you had me scared.
哦,等一下,你吓着我了
I thought I did something real bad.
我想我是做了什么坏事
You have. Kretzer should be kicked out, not reelected.
没错,克雷策应该被踢下去,不能被重选
One of these days, I’ll get the facts and print them.
我总有一天会发现所有事实公之于众
I think he’s corrupt, rotten, no good.
我知道他贪污腐♥败♥,没有干过一件好事
He’s been good to me.
他对我不错
So there’ll be one more crooked sheriff in the world. Who cares?
不过是有多了一个愚蠢的警长,谁在乎?
I do. I don’t make deals… not my paper…
我在乎,我不做交易,我的报纸不做交易
even if it does sell 8,000 more a day.
就算是一天能多发行八千份
Hello. Who in Chicago?
喂,芝加哥的谁?
Tell them Mr. Tatum’ll be ready to talk in half an hour.
告诉他们,塔图姆先生半个小时以后有时间
Now then, Mr. Boot, I sent you a wire this morning.
布特先生,我今天早上给您发了电报
Apparently you didn’t get it. No, I didn’t.
看来你没有收到 没有
Because you could have saved yourself the trip. I’ve quit.
那样的话您就不用白跑一趟了,我辞职了
I’m not working for you anymore.
不再给你干了
I’m sorry to hear that, Chuck.
很遗憾,查克
No, you’re not. I’m not your kind of newspaperman.
没什么遗憾的,我不是您需要的记者
I don’t belong in your office…
不适合跟您干
not with that embroidered sign on the wall.
我不喜欢墙上的标语
It gets in my way.
它限制我发展
Then it does bother you a little.
原来是这样
Not enough to stop me. I’m on my way…
但是它不会阻止我,我还是会干应该干的…
and if it takes a deal with a crooked sheriff, that’s all right with me.
就算是跟一个混♥蛋♥警长做交易,也没有问题
And if I have to fancy it up with an Indian curse…
我也可以想象出一个印第安诅咒
and a brokenhearted wife for Leo, that’s all right too!
或者心碎的妻子,没什么大不了的
Not with me, it isn’t. And not with a lot of others in this business.
我不能同意,干我们这一行的都不能同意
Phony, below the belt journalism. That’s what it is.
假冒,在你记者的名义下做着这样的勾当
Not below the belt. Right in the gut, Mr. Boot.
不是在什么名义下,我就是这样的人,布特先生
Human interest. You heard me. Phony.
人性 算了吧,假冒
For all I know, there isn’t even a Leo down there.
我知道下面可能根本就没有里奥这个人
Yes, there is. Tatum made sure of that.
有这个人,我确认过这个
Look, I’ve waited a long time for my turn at bat.
你知道吗,我一直在等待机会
Now that they’ve pitched me a fat one…
现在终于出现了一个好机会
I’m gonna smack it right out of the ballpark.
我一定要好好抓住
Yes? What paper?
什么?什么报社?
Tell Philadelphia to call back in half an hour.
告诉费城半小时打过来
You know what, Chuck?
好消息查克
I had that medicine man stage a whole ceremonial.
我让那个买♥♥药的人准备整个仪式了
Hello, Mr. Boot.
你好,布特先生
Come on, Herbie. Get your things together. We’re going back.
赫比,收拾东西跟我走,我们回去
Tatum just hit a home run, and the big leagues are calling.
塔图姆干的不错,现在有更大的事业要忙
Go ahead, Herbie. Maybe Boot’s right. Maybe you better go back with him.
走吧赫比,布特可能是对的,你最好跟他回去
But you said I could stick with you.
但是你说我可以跟你干的
Give him good advice, Chuck. You can do it.
你得劝劝他,查克,你能说服他
He’s old enough to make up his own mind.
他不是小孩子了,可以自己拿主意
Everybody in this game has to make up his own mind.
现在每个人都要自己拿主意
I’ve made up mine.
我已经决定了
Hello. Yes?
喂,是我
Sure, I’m ready to talk to New York. Put ’em on.
好的,可以跟纽约通话了,接通吧
Don’t be so sorry for him.
别为他感到惋惜
What makes you think the Albuquerque Sun-Bulletin…
你怎么知道阿尔伯克基那里
is all that a kid wants out of life?
对这个孩子最好?
What makes you think you have all the answers?
你怎么会知道什么最好?
They’re out of date… high-button shoes, belt and suspenders.
他们已经过时了,高跟鞋,腰带,吊裤带
They’re not wearing them anymore.
现在已经没有人穿了
Look at the calendar, Mr. Boot. It’s the 20th century. The second half of it.
看看现在是什么时候了布特先生,是二十世纪了,二十世纪五十年代了
You don’t expect the kid to stand still. He wants to get going.
你不应该让这孩子停滞不前,他应该往前走
Going!
前进
Going where?
往哪儿前进?
Hello. Who?
你好,是谁?
Mr. Nagel? Not lover boy himself!
是奈格尔先生?不是主编本人呢
Well, well.
好吧
Tell me, Mr. Nagel, did you ever repair that ceiling in your office?
奈格尔先生,你办公室的天花板修理了吗?
The one you hit the day you told me my services were no longer required.
就是你告诉我已经不需要我那天,你一生气打坏的天花板
All right, Tatum. You’re a very comical guy.
好了,塔图姆,你很幽默
And I promise I’m gonna laugh… hard!
我一定会好好笑笑
But not right now. What about that Minosa story?
但现在是怎么回事,明诺萨那个新闻是怎么回事?
Yes, the weather’s fine in New York.
对,纽约天气不错
No, it’s not raining. Yes, she’s still here.
不,没有下雨,对,她还在这儿
Come on, Tatum. How much for the Minosa story? Exclusive!
好了塔图姆,明诺萨新闻到底要多少?独家新闻
What? Don’t you know there’s a war on… somewhere?
什么?你不知道现在有的地方正在打仗吗
I’ll give you a thousand dollars.
我给你一千
What do you think I got here, a plane crash or a set of quadruplets?
你以为我这儿是什么,飞机坠毁还是四胞胎吗
This is a circulation builder.
这可关系到一份报纸的发行量
It’ll go another four days.
还有四天
Some beautiful copy coming.
好戏还在后头呢
Speak up fast. There’s a waiting list.
请快点,还有人要打电♥话♥
So you think you’ve got me over a barrel.
你以为我就求着你了吗?
All right, maybe you have! Give you a thousand a day… as long as it lasts.
就算是这样了,一天给你一千,直到结束
Mr. Nagel, you’re not getting the point.
奈格尔先生,你没抓住关键
It’s not just a thousand a day.
不光是钱的问题
It’s that desk of mine I want back when this is over.
我的职位,等这个完了我要回去
You heard me. The old desk, the old job.
听到了吗,我原来的位置,原来的工作
Here, here, lover boy, watch that ceiling.
好了,小心屋顶
That’s more like it.
这还差不多
Now put the contract on the wires.
现在就把合同发过来吧
You get the first story in an hour.
一个小时后就把新闻发过去
Oh, one more thing.
对了,还有一件事
See that there’s some flowers on my desk…
我桌子上要放上花
with a little ribbon… “Welcome home.”
还有一根飘带,写上“欢迎回来”
This means you too, fan. We’re rounding third.
你也跟我一起,我们看看去
I’m right behind you, Chuck.
我跟着您,查克
We’re comin’
我们来了
We’re comin’. Leo
我们来了,里奥
So, Leo, don’t despair
里奥,不要担心
While you are in the cave-in hopin’
你困在洞里,在期待着
We are up above you gropin’
我们在上面努力

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!