我想我真的不知道我有多幸福
I guess I just didn’t know how lucky I was…
有一个如此好的妻子-海伦 直到她死去
…to have a wife like Helen until she was gone.
记着 年轻人
Remember that, young man.
你应该感激 那些 你现在依然还拥有的一切
You’ve got to appreciate what you have while you still have it.
天啊 你害怕我吗 你现在干嘛
Jesus, Warren. You scared me. What are you doing here?
我想你可能想挽回这一切吧
I thought you might want these back.
天啊
Oh, Jesus.
那是很多年前 沃伦 25 30年了
That was so long ago, Warren. It’s 25, 30 years. I mean…
我意思 天啊
Oh, Jesus.
我从来没想过
I never thought…
她还留着这些 我真不敢相信她还保留着 天啊
She kept these? I can’t believe she kept these.
停 停
Stop! Stop!
停 别打我
Stop hitting me!
让我们谈谈
Let’s talk about this!
你曾是我的朋友
You were my friend.
这是个大误会
It was all a big mistake.
你去旧金山然后事情突然
I mean, you went up to Frisco and things started up…
我们都无法控制的
…and we just got out of hand, that’s all.
我对不起
I’m sorry!
你已经到达“月球狗电子”
You’ve reached Moon Dog Electronics.
如果你知道你当事人的范围
If you know your party’s ext…
运输服务 我是吉尼
Shipping and Receiving. This is Jeannie.
吉尼 我是爸爸 你怎么样
Jeannie, it’s Dad. How are you?
我忙得一团糟 爸 怎么啦
Uh, hey, I’m totally swamped, Dad. What’s up?
我有个大的惊喜给你
Well, I have a big surprise for you. Guess what.
猜是什么 -什么
What? – I’m on the road.
我在途中 我在去你那的路上
I’m on my way out to see you.
我刚离开格兰岛
Right now. I’m just outside Grand Island.
爸 你在说什么 – 吉尼
Uh, Dad, what are you talking about? – Jeannie…
我考虑过了 你多我来说是多么的重要
…I’ve been thinking about things and how much you mean to me…
而我们在一起的时候又那么的少
…and how little time you and I have spent together these last few years.
我发现我为什么要住在奥马哈
And all of a sudden I realized, what the heck am I doing in Omaha…
不是该和你住在一起吗
…when you’re out there and I could be with you?
我们应该在一起
You know, we should be together.
等等 你现在要过来
Wait, um, you’re coming now?
如果我继续开车 晚饭时就能到
If I drive straight through, I’ll be there in time for supper.
哦 我不认为这是个好主意 爸爸 这不是个好办法
Um, gosh, you know, I don’t think so, Dad. This is not a good idea.
当然是的
Well, sure it is.
别告诉我你的婚礼准备 不需要额外的帮忙
Don’t tell me you couldn’t use extra help with all those wedding arrangements.
我会减轻负担的
I’ll help take the burden off.
事情是 爸爸 兰德尔 我 还有吉尔
No, but the thing is, Dad, Roberta and I and Jill…
我们干得很漂亮
…we’ve pretty much got everything under control.
用泡沫包裹 它太大了
No, no, no. Use the bubble wrap on that one. It’s too big.
听起来不错 但我们还是按计划进行
It’s such a nice offer, but let’s stick to the plan, okay?
婚礼前的一两天你再来这儿 就像我们说过的那样
You get here a day or two before the wedding, like we said.
我相信你不会反对我继续寄给你支票
I assume you won’t object to me sending any more of those checks.
上帝啊 爸爸 我没时间来谈这个
Jesus, Dad. I do not have time for this, okay?
你回家后给我打个电♥话♥
You call me when you get home.
好吗 – 好吧
Okay? – Fine. I’ll…
再见 吉尼 – 再见 爸爸
Bye, Jeannie. – Bye, Dad.
亲爱的杜古
Dear Ndugu.
你好吗
How are you?
我很好
I’m fine.
几个星期前 我决定去丹佛
A week or so ago, I decided to take a little road trip…
参加吉尼的婚礼
…on my way to Jeannie’s wedding out in Denver.
吉尼要我早点去 帮她准备婚礼
Jeannie begged me to come out early and help her with the arrangements…
可我告诉她我需要一些单独的时间
…but I told her I needed some time to myself.
我决定去那些 很久没去过的地方
I’ve decided to visit some places I haven’t been to in a long time.
一生中有太多事情发生了 我都把它们忘记了
So much has happened in my life that I can’t seem to remember.
我生命的一大部分已经消失
Whole sections of my life that are just gone.
那么 你会说 我想给自己留下一些记忆
So you might say I’ve been trying to clear a few cobwebs from my memory.
我的第一站是内布拉斯加州的贺格
My first stop was none other than Holdrege, Nebraska.
我想看见67年前我出生的房♥子
I thought it would be enlightening to visit the house…
是很有启发性的
…where I was born 67 years ago next April.
像你这个年龄 我们就离开贺格
We moved away from Holdrege when I was not much older than you…
我常常想知道 我们的老房♥子现在是什么样了
…and I’ve often wondered what our old house would be like today.
还好 我没忘了地址
Funny, I never forgot the address.
罗格街12号♥
12 Locust Avenue.
是的 先生 罗格街12号♥
Yes, sir. 12 Locust Avenue.
能为你效劳吗 先生
Can I help you, sir?
不 谢谢 我只是看看
No, thanks. I’m just looking around.
以前我住在这儿
I used to live here.
在这店里
Here in the store?
是的 我童年时代的家就在这里
Yep. My childhood home was right on this spot.
事实上
In fact…
那个房♥间应该是在这里
…bedroom would’ve been right about here.
客厅在这边
Living room over here.
吃饭是在
And the dining…
嗯 呵呵
Well, heh…
那是很久以前
…that was a long time ago.
在你出生前
Before you were born.
沃伦
Warren!
沃伦
Warren!
嗨 妈妈
Hey, Mom.
妈妈爱你 沃伦
Mommy loves you, Warren. Yes, she does.
生日快乐 沃伦
Happy birthday, Warren!
你不会相信
You’re not gonna believe this.
过去我们前面有轮胎秋千
We used to have a tire swing right out front here.
从那以后 很多事情变了
An awful lot had changed since my day…

可是回到家还是真得很
…but it was still good to be home again.
确实很好
Very good, indeed.
下一站 堪萨斯州 劳伦斯
Next stop, Lawrence, Kansas…
在哪儿我去了趟我的母校K U
…where I paid a visit to my old alma mater, KU.
我许多年没回去了
I hadn’t been there in years and years…
现在正是回去的好时候
…and now seemed like the perfect time to stop by.
我甚至还找到 我们兄弟会里的一些人
I even managed to hook up with some kids at my old fraternity.
从拓荒时代起就一直在那里 – β-西格玛 艾司隆
Been there since the pioneer days. – Beta Sigma Epsilon.
因此 公♥司♥的座右铭是
Hence the company motto:
“作为一位林中居民扫清道路 ”
“As a woodman clears the way.” Hmm?
杜古 当你上大学的时候
Well, Ndugu, I highly recommend that you pledge a fraternity…
我建议你参加那里的兄弟会
…when you go to college.
在我去过纪念街后 那是旅游的时候了
After that little walk down memory lane, it was tourist time for yours truly.
我回到了内布拉斯加
I made my way back to Nebraska…
并停留在布肯伯的卡斯特郡历史博物馆
…and stopped in at the Custer County Historical Museum in Broken Bow…
看到里面有很好的古董收集
…to see their fine collection of arrowheads.
然后 我见到了一位印第安人
Later that same day, I happened to meet a real Indian…
就正如我们现在说的 美国原住民
…or Native American, as they like to be called nowadays.
我们谈到那地区的历史
We had a nice chat about the history of the area…
他真得大开我的眼界
…and he really opened my eyes.
那些人受到不公平的待遇
Those people got a raw deal.
不公平的待遇
Just a raw deal.
下一站是 布法罗的比尔·科迪屋
Next stop, Buffalo Bill Cody’s house in North Platte.
多么不可思议的一位传奇人物
What a remarkable man.
你可以在附上的小册子里读到他
You can read about him in the enclosed pamphlet.
我多么希望能住在布法罗 比尔·科迪的屋中 安详的躺下来 把腿抬高 舒展筋骨
I pull the Adventurer over whenever I feel like stretching my legs…
幽静地欣赏当地的景观并浏览古董
…taking in a local sight or browsing for antiques.
就像有一天 在科乍德城的一家古玩店里
The other day, for example, at an antique store in Cozad…
我居然找到了胡美尔人的收藏品
…I came across a fine collection of rare Hummels.
我想我还从来没有欣赏过 如此精雕细琢的工艺品
I guess I never really appreciated how exquisitely crafted they are.
每一件都附有证明其真伪的特别证书
And each one comes with its own certificate of authenticity.
海伦喜欢胡美尔人
Helen loved Hummels.

Ahoy there!
怎么了
Yes?
我说“喂”
I said ahoy.
好 我也给你打招呼
Well, ahoy yourself.
约翰 拉斯克 我来自威斯康星州的欧克莱尔城 – 华伦·施密特 我从奥马哈来
John Rusk, Eau Claire, Wisconsin. – Warren Schmidt, Omaha.
希望我没有打搅你
Say, I hope I’m not disturbing you…
但我忍♥不住要告诉你有位新的冒险家来了
…but I couldn’t help noticing you got a new Adventurer.
好啊 – 有35英尺长
That’s right. – Thirty-five footer?
没错 -是啊

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!