就这样
That’s all.
但所有人都已经邀请并回复了啊
But everyone’s invited and RSVP’d and everything.
他们会明白的 出于尊重你过世的母亲
They’d understand. I mean, out of respect for your mother.
她已经认可了的
She would’ve approved.
妈妈肯定不想我们改变什么
Mom wouldn’t want us to change anything.
但事情是 吉尼
The thing is, Jeannie…
我和你妈妈常常 非常真诚地
…your mother and I spoke a number of times, very seriously…
为你和兰德尔着想
…about you and Randall.
她说了什么
And what did she say?
她爱你 她希望你永远快乐
Just that she loved you and she wanted you to be very happy…
但这些东西 兰德尔
…and maybe this thing with Randall…
她只是想确认
…well, she just wanted to be sure…
你不会感到任何的惋惜
…you weren’t gonna have any regrets, that’s all.
所以一直尊重你的意见
So you might wanna keep your options open. Hmm?
但她帮我们订的日子
But she helped us pick the date.
我也几乎每天和她通话
And I was on the phone with her almost every day…
筹划所有的一切
…planning it and ordering things.
我不知道你在说什么
I really don’t know what you’re talking about.
妈妈根本不想我们改变什么 – 好吧 你自己去弄吧
Mom wouldn’t want us to change it. – All right. All right.
你和你母亲的事情你最清楚
Okay, have it your way. You know best, you and your mother.
好吃的三明治
Good sandwich.
爸爸 – 嗯
Dad. – Mm?
你为什么买♥♥那么便宜的棺材
Why did you get such a cheap casket?
什么
What?
我说你怎么买♥♥那么便宜的棺材啊 每个人都买♥♥得起
I could tell you got the cheapest casket. Everybody could.
不是这样的
Oh, that is not true. That is not true.
我肯定不会选 像你所说的 不值钱的棺材
I specifically did not choose, as you say, the cheapest casket.
还有更便宜的 他们介绍给我 但我拒绝了
There was one less expensive, which they showed me, and I refused it.
你意思是松木棺
You mean a pine box?
我不记得那是什么了
Well, I don’t… I don’t remember what it was.
她侍侯你手手脚脚的
She waited on you hand and foot.
你就不可以为她挥霍一次吗
Couldn’t you have splurged on her just once?
嘿 嘿 嘿 – 一次
Hey, hey, hey. – Once?
你在说什么 还记得上次在温尼贝戈人外面的事吗
What are you talking about? What about the Winnebago out there?
那是一辆昂贵的轿车
What do you call that? That’s an expensive vehicle.
我根本不想买♥♥ 但我买♥♥了
I didn’t wanna get it, but I did.
那完全是你母亲的主意
That was completely your mother’s idea.
她有偿还一半的钱
She told me she had to pay for like half of it.
她不得不卖♥♥了些股票去偿还
She said she had to sell some of her stock or something to pay for it.
那是她自己的决定 我只是想和个小妇人长久地在一起
That was her decision. I was willing to go as far as the Minnie Winnie, but no.
但她应该嫁给一个冒险家 她掌管了全部的家当
She had to have the Adventurer. She wanted the whole shebang.
我能怎么样
What was I to do? Tell her she couldn’t?
那是她的钱
It was her money.
不 那不是我的义务
No, no, no. You can’t call me to task on that one.

No, sir.
吉尼
Jeannie.
在这 兰德尔 – 哪
In here, Randall. – Where?
在这 在这
In here. In here!
你在这
Oh, hey, there you are.
还有30分钟 最好快点收拾东西
Thirty-minute warning. You better get packed.
兰德尔 你有告诉爸爸那本书吗
Hey, Randall, did you tell Dad about that book?
哦 对了 我忘记了
That’s right, I forgot.
沃伦 你有没读过 “当坏事降临在好人身上”
Say, Warren, have you ever read When Bad Things Happen to Good People?
没有 – 真令人吃惊
No. – Oh, it’s really amazing.
它确实帮我从我的伯母的死的悲哀中走出来
It really helped me out when my aunt died.
你应该读读它 当我和吉尼回去丹佛后 我把那本书的拷贝寄给你
You should read it. When me and Jeannie get back to Denver, I’ll send you my copy.
还有练习本 大部分的练习我都做过
The workbook too. I did most of the exercises…
但你可以在我的答案旁边写上你的
…but you can write your answers in next to mine.
中西部的航♥班♥最后检录
Final boarding call for Midwest Express…
420号♥航♥班♥到丹佛 科罗拉多州
…Flight 420 to Denver, Colorado.
所有购票乘客 – 一路顺风 兰德尔
All ticketed passengers… – So long, Randall.
我们将为你祈祷 关于那事我会再联♥系♥你
You’ll be in our prayers. And I’ll call you about that thing, okay?
好 谢谢
Okay. Thank you.
嗯 吉尼
Well, Jeannie…
自己照顾好自己 爸爸 – 嗯嗯
Take care of yourself, Dad. – Hmm.
嗯真好 肯定是感人的一幕
Oh, that’s a good one. That’s gonna be a really great shot.
是的 太棒了
Yeah, very cool.
我也要拿飞机做背景照一张
Yeah, I got the plane in the background too.
再见 爸爸 -一路顺风 吉尼
Bye, Dad. – So long, Jeannie.
过几个星期我就来看你 好吗 – 好
See you in a few weeks, okay? – Okay.
再见 沃伦 照顾好自己 – 好
Bye, Warren, you take care. – Okay.
亲爱的杜古
Dear Ndugu.
我希望你能坐下来
I hope you’re sitting down…
因为我有一些坏消息
…because I’m afraid I’ve got some bad news.
自从我上次写信给你 我的妻子海伦 你的养母
Since I last wrote to you, my wife, Helen, your foster mother…
突然因为脑部血凝结而过世了
…passed away very suddenly from a blood clot in her brain.
善后仪式已经弄妥了
The services were lovely and very well attended.
吉尼和她朋友从丹佛来看我
Jeannie came in from Denver with her friend…
得梅因和维奇塔的亲属们都大老远地驱车过来
…and folks drove up from as far away as Des Moines and Wichita.
无论如何 你能读这封信 我也感到感动
It was a very moving tribute any way you look at it.
多希望那一刻你也在那儿
I wish you could’ve been there.
但现在 那激动的一刻已经过去了 消失得毫无烟迹
But now that all the excitement is over and the smoke has cleared…
只剩下我和我的思念 在这空旷的大屋子里游荡
…it’s just me and my thoughts knocking around in this big old house.
我相信我在上一封信提到过 我曾是个保险业务员
I believe I mentioned in my previous letter that I was an actuary…
在世界最大的保险公♥司♥乌德门
…at Woodmen of the World Insurance Company.
如果我知道一个人的年龄 种族 职业
If I’m given a man’s age, race, profession…
居住环境 婚姻状况 和病史
…place of residence, marital status, and medical history…
我能极大程度地计算出 那个人会生存多久
…I can calculate with great probability how long that man will live.
但在我自己的情况 而我的妻子现在却死了
In my own case, now that my wife has died…
我有73%的可能在九年内死去
…there is a 73 percent chance that I will die within nine years…
如果我不再婚的話
…provided that I do not remarry.
这是一个机会 一对三 反手击球得分
Here’s an opportunity, one on three. A backhand shot, and score!
我所知道的就是
All I know is…
我要把我余生的事情做到最好
…I’ve got to make the best of whatever time I have left.
生命是短暂的 杜古
Life is short, Ndugu.
我不可以浪费任何一分钟
And I can’t afford to waste another minute.
没什么比得上但你高兴的时候 洗上一个热水澡
Well, there’s nothing like a hot bath when you’re happy.
只要你和应该在一起的人在一起
As long as you’re with the right person.
我非常爱你
I love you so much.
我也爱你
I love you too.
我甚至喜欢那样说
I love being able to say that.
现在我也不想骗你
Now, I don’t wanna kid you.
没有海伦的日子对我来说是个挑战
Adjusting to life without Helen has been quite a challenge.
但我想你会为我自豪
But I think you’d be proud of me.
是的 这房♥子要重新整理
Yep, this house is under new management…
但你肯定不知道哪里不同
…but you’d never know the difference.
当然 有时我也会像个健忘的孩子 偶尔也有一两次失手
Oh, sure, sometimes I can be a tad forgetful and miss a meal or two…
但我想 从我的角度来说 是不必向某些人提起的
…but, heh, I guess that’s hardly worth mentioning to someone in your situation.
海伦不希望我老是坐着
Helen wouldn’t want me sitting around, wallowing in self-pity.
就像是个昏沉的可怜虫–鲍勃先生
No sirree, Bob.
她叫我站起来 或者出去走走
Why, she’d tell me to shape up or ship out.
所以我尝试尽可能地出去走走
So I try to get out as much as I can.
尝试保持活力 每天都坚持
You know, try to stay active, stick to my routine.
那是生命中所面临的重要的巨大改变
That’s very important in the face of big changes in life.
当然 我没有海伦那么会烹饪
Oh, sure, um, I’m not quite the cook Helen was.
但我也记得我单身时候的一两门手艺
But I remember a trick or two from my bachelor days.
维持一个家是要干很多的事情的
It’s a lot of work keeping a household together…
嗯 我想我最后会卖♥♥了这个地方 搬去小公♥寓♥住
…and I suppose eventually I’ll sell the place and move to a little condo.
维修费更少 维持更久
You know, less upkeep and so forth.
但眼下 我的受益还不错
But for now, I’m getting by just fine.
这使我想到我的最后一封信 我可能会拼错字或者会用一些消极的言语
It occurred to me that in my last letter, I might’ve misspoken…
提及我的故妻
…and used some negative language in reference to my late wife.
但你必须明白
But you have to understand…
在我退休以后 我承受了很大的压力
…that I was under a lot of pressure following my retirement.
我不想骗你 杜古
I’m not going to lie to you, Ndugu.
我只是大概地描述未来的日子
It’s been a rough few weeks.
我会过得不错的
And I’ve been pretty…
你知道 有时我会崩溃
…you know, broken up from time to time.
我想念她
I miss her.
我想念我的海伦
I miss my Helen.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!