but of course, naturally you think so.
你当然认为如此
I think?
我想…
All we think here is how to live.
我们只想过活
Oh, good health, Jacques.
天啊 杰克林
My name is Ernest De Farge.
我叫恩尼斯迪法奇
De Farge?
你叫迪法奇
Oh, uh, didn’t you used to work for Dr. Manette?
你不是会经当过 马尼特的仆人吗
Yes.
是的
You know, I met him in England.
我在英国见过他
He has a charming daughter.
还有他的美丽女儿
Little grandchild now too.
他现在已经有外孙了
Grandchild? Oh, yes.
外孙 是啊
His daughter married Charles Darnay.
他女儿和查尔斯结婚
You must remember him.
你一定记得他
He’s the nephew of the Marquis St. Evrémonde.
他就是马可斯的侄子
You must have known the marquis.
你们一定认识马可斯
No. Why should I?
你为什么要这样说
Well, when the marquis was killed some years ago,
马可斯几年前被杀
his death was applauded in this neighborhood.
这里还会经庆祝过
You remember that, Jacques?
你应该记得 杰克林
You make a mistake when you call my husband Jacques.
我想你认错人了
His name is Ernest.
他叫恩尼斯
I don’t want to make a mistake in your name.
我不喜欢别人叫错名字
Are there two Ds in Barsad?
除非那个人想死
I don’t believe it.
我真不敢相信
It can’t be true what he said of Mademoiselle Manette.
这不可能的
No!
不
If he has said it, it’s probably false,
他说的可能是假的
but it may be true.
也有可能是真的
No, no, it’s not true.
不 一定是假的
If it is, I hope for her sake
如果是的话 我为她担心
that destiny will keep her husband out of France.
希望她丈夫不要回到法国
Her husband’s destiny will lead him to the end
她丈夫的命运
that is to end him.
要看他自己
That is to end him.
会在这里结束
I can’t understand the doctor
我不了解 医生怎么会
permitting such a marriage.
准他们结婚
Or forgetting what the Evrémondes did to him.
他怎么可以忘了自己的仇人
The doctor may forget and the doctor may forgive
他可以忘 他可以原谅
but I don’t.
但是我不行
We don’t.
我们也不准
I, for one, don’t believe there will be a terror in France.
我就不相信法国会出事
I count on the sanity and good temper of the people.
我不了解 那边的人那么好 不可能
Well, the trouble is the aristocrats weren’t firm enough.
问题是基础没打好 那就一定会垮
They should hang a few hoodlums
他们应该吊死几个人
and that’s all the revolution there will be.
杀鸡儆猴
That’s the kind of talk that cost us the American colonies.
我们就是为这样 丢掉了美洲殖民地
No comparison at all that I can see. None.
我认为这两个没得比 没错
We lost the colonies because they fell under the spell
我们失去了殖民地
of that upstart Washington.
是因为他们全部被华盛顿控制
Well, the time may come when the upstart Washington
看来这位华盛顿
will be a better remembered Englishman than George Ill.
比乔治三世还好
Oh, stuff and nonsense.
不要在那儿胡说八道
You businessmen never read anything but your ledgers.
你们这些做生意的太糟糕了
You’re badly informed. Oh, bless my soul.
资料来源太差了 保佑我的灵魂
And as for the French aristocrats,
我觉得那些法国贵族
they’re so blind they can’t see the lightning in front of their eyes.
就算闪电在他们面前经过 他们也看不到
You mustn’t make the mistake of thinking
你不能这样说
that all aristocrats are alike, Carton.
不是所有的法国贵族都是这样
They differ as other classes do.
总会有例外的
I agree.
我同意
Now we of the younger generation
我们这一代年轻的
of Tellson’s Bank have been studying
泰尔森银行家
the French situation closely
有仔细研究过法国动向
and we have come to the conclusion…
最后我们认为…
Oh, Miss Pross.
波丝小姐
May I congratulate you on the dinner.
女士 你所煮的晚餐
I know I express the sentiments of all
我必须说真的…
when I say that the roast tonight…
我必须说今晚的烤牛肉…
Is not up to your usual standard.
没有你平常那么好
I suppose it not as good as the taverns you are used to.
我想这和你常去的酒吧不能比
From what I hear, none of you are strangers to taverns.
你们对酒吧都不陌生
Mr. Carton, the infant has expressed
卡顿先生
a desire to say goodnight to you.
孩子想和你说晚安
The infant’s desire shall be gratified immediately, Prossie.
我马上去
I suppose, uh, it’s none of my business…
虽然不关我的事
but I wouldn’t allow that fellow
但是我不会让那家伙
to handle a child of mine.
碰我的孩子
As to that, you haven’t got one.
事实上你没有
And by the looks of you, you’re not likely to have one.
再看看你的长像 你也不太可能有
Excuse me, gentlemen.
失陪了
She wanted so badly to say goodnight to you,
她很想和你说晚安
but she fell asleep.
但是她睡着了
You’re her favorite, Sydney. And she’s mine.
她最喜欢你 席德尼 而她是我的
She accepts me without criticism.
她无条件的接受我
Never asks me where I’ve been or what I’ve been doing.
从来不问我在干嘛 也不问我去了哪里
Doesn’t even object to my drinking.
更不讨厌我喝酒
The perfect friend. Shh.
真是完美的朋友
You know, Sydney,
席德尼 有的时候
sometimes it’s the part of a friend to criticize too.
朋友还是得要尽责
Well, when there’s any hope of reformation, yes,
但是要看讲了有没有用
but with me, it’s hopeless.
对我来说 是不可能的
I don’t believe it. I refuse to believe it.
我不相信 我拒绝相信
Oh, I admit that once when…
我得承认
when I first knew you,
当我第一次看到你
the sight of you and your home stirred old shadows
你让我那枯死的心
that I thought had died out of me.
活了起来
I had unformed ideas of striving afresh,
我开始有想要重新开始的想法
beginning anew, fighting out the abandoned fight.
站起来为希望而战
A dream that ended in nothing.
但是这个梦想终究不能实现
But you inspired it.
但是你给了我这个梦想
Must it end in nothing? I’m afraid so.
为什么不能实现呢 是不能实现
But for that inspiration and for that dream
但是你给了我这个梦想
I shall always be grateful to you, Lucie.
我对你真是感激不尽
I feel in you still such possibilities.
我觉得你很有潜力
No, they’ll never be realized.
不可能的 就当我死了
I am like one who died young.
我就像一个早逝的人
I’ll never give up my hopes for you, Sydney. Never.
我不会放弃你的 席德尼
I know myself better.
我自己比较清楚
But this I know too.
但我也知道
I would embrace any sacrifice for you…
我会为了你
and for those dear to you.
做任何事
Will you hold me in your mind as being ardent and sincere
只希望你还能记得我
in this one thing?
在这件事上?
Think now and then that there is a man
还记得在你身旁
who would give his life
有一个肯为你
to keep a life you love beside you.
牺牲的人
Thank you, Sydney.
席德尼 谢谢你
God grant it may never be necessary.
希望这种事不要发生
Look at the crowd rushing to escape the storm.
人们开始躲雨
Listen to the echoes.
听那些回声
You know…
你知道的
sometimes I’ve sat here of an evening until…
有的时候 我会坐在这里直到…
until I’ve made the echoes out to be the echoes
直到我可以听到所有的脚步声
of all the footsteps that are coming by and by
听到他们走进
into my father’s life and mine.
我父亲和我的生命
Meat, meat. Yes, meat.
肉…
Why do you endure it?
你们为什么要忍♥受 为什么
Why do you have to endure it?
为什么
Why?
为什么