You know, I shouldn’t wonder, but that Cruncher,
我想我想起来杰利这个人来
Jerry Cruncher, knows this fellow Barsad.
巴索是他的朋友
I think I’ll call on Jerry.
我想我会去找杰利
I can’t have you hobnobbing with a fellow like Jerry Cruncher.
我不能让你和杰利碰面
Why, he’s a grave robber.
他是个盗墓贼
Now, Stryver, a man who employs me shouldn’t be a snob.
史崔佛 你不要这样死心眼
But he’s a grave robber. You don’t discern the facts.
但是他本来就是个盗墓贼 不要被别的事情误导
The very pith and marrow escape you.
尤其是那些传闻
Do you know the most interesting thing to me about this case?
你知道这件案子 最有趣的地方吗
Saving an innocent man from a horrible death.
拯救一个无辜的人
No. It’s that Cruncher probably knows the tavern that Barsad drinks at.
杰利大概知道巴索 常在哪里喝酒
That means I can pursue this case
这表示我可以
in a congenial atmosphere.
舒舒服服的查案
I’ll drink you a victory.
我要为你的胜利干杯
Oh, dear Lord, don’t let him be a grave robber.
亲爱的天父 赦免他的罪
Have mercy on us. Don’t let him be a grave robber.
可怜我们吧 别让他当盗墓贼
Oh, dear God…
亲爱的天父
Bust me if she ain’t at it again.
她又来了 你给我闭嘴
Flopping yourself down and prayin’ against my prosperity.
你不要管我的事
Oh, Jerry, how can I keep from prayin’
亲爱的 我不知道
now that I know what your real business is?
你竟然在做这种事
blessed off me table by your prayin’.
我怎么能安心呢
I’m a resurrectionist, that’s what I am.
我是一个复活主义者,这就是我
Doing a noble service for the medical profession.
这些都是为了医学研究
Besides, making a bit of money for meself.
而我只是从中赚一点钱
So that’s why your fingers is always rusty, Father.
你真的这样认为
Quiet, you.
你给我闭嘴
You’re an unnatural wife
你给我尽好
and an unnatural mother, prayin’ against me.
太太和母亲的责任就行
I wasn’t prayin’ against you. I was praying for you.
我不是在诅咒你 我是在为你祈祷
Now I tell you, I won’t be took the liberty with.
我知道你在干嘛
You’ve got a fine mother, you have, young Jerry.
看 你有个好妈妈
Praying that the bread and butter
她在为你每天的食物
be snatched out of the mouth of her only child.
向上天祈祷
Father, I think she’s floppin’ again.
我想她又在诅咒了
Oh, I was meditatin’.
我在冥想
And I won’t have you meditatin’ neither.
我也不会让你冥想
Prayed against and meditated against
你才不是在冥想 你是在诅咒我
in me own home.
我绝对不允许
Aye, Jerry.
杰利
How are you, Mr. Carton? Not rusty, huh?
你好 卡顿先生 有事吗
You’ll never see them rusty again, Mr. Carton.
你再也看不到它们生锈了,卡尔顿先生
Jerry, do you know a man called Cly?
杰利 你认不认识克莱这个人
Cly? No, I don’t believes I do, sir.
我想我不认识他
Hmm. Know anybody called Barsad?
那你认不认识巴索
Oh, Barsad. I knows him, sir.
巴索我认识
A great fellow for bowlin’. Where do I find him?
他很会打保龄球 我在哪里可以找到他
Well, you might find him bowlin’ down at Puffey’s.
他会在酒吧那里打保龄球
But if you’re going to meet him, Mr. Carton,
但如果你要去见他
you won’t be keeping very good company.
你不会有好同伴 卡顿先生
Neither will Mr. Barsad.
我也一样
Hey, whose idea was it?
那是谁的主意
Mine. I did all the brainwork.
当然是我的主意
Oh, I see.
原来如此
Told them where to hold up the coach
告诉他们马车的路线
and when to shoot the coachman.
然后叫他们干掉马车夫
And after doing all that for them,
但是他们在做完之后却…
what do you think they did, Barsad?
你认为他们怎么了 巴索
Oh, oh, Barsad, where did you learn
巴索 你从那学到的
so much of human nature?
这么多人性?
In a really hard school of experience.
社会大学学的
Ah. I don’t believe in nobody.
我不相信任何一个人
And I don’t trust nobody.
不相信任何人
That’s right. Made up my mind, same thing.
没错 我也是这么认为
Nobody. Never trust nobody.
没有人值得相信
But them swine, did you get back at them?
但是你有没有抓到那家伙
Did I get ba…
我有抓到…吗?
Did I fix something up on them?
我当然有好好整他
Did you plant something on them?
你怎么陷害他
Plant. Oh, you got a brain, Barsad.
你真是厉害 巴索
You got a brain.
你有脑子吗
What did you plant on them? Shh.
你怎么陷害他
If I tell you where I last saw them,
我先告诉你 我在哪里看到他
maybe you’ll guess what I planted on them.
然后你就可以猜到 我是怎么陷害他
Where did you see them?
在哪里
Outside Newgate Prison.
在纽格特监狱外面
First hung up and then quartered.
先是被绑起来 然后被淹死
Drawn and quartered?
他被绑起来淹死
Like animals. Drawn and quartered.
没错 就像畜牲一样
You guessed it, Barsad.
猜猜看
Now, now, let that brain of yours
看看我
work out what I planted on them.
是怎么设计他的
Treason. You got them for treason.
你一定是用叛国这个罪名
Mmm. You’re a great man, Barsad. You guessed it.
你太厉害了 巴索
Treason, eh?
用叛国
Now, Barsad, match that if you can.
巴索 我想你没有我这么厉害
Right. I will match it.
不 我跟你不相上下
If you’ll take the trouble to go to the Old Bailey tomorrow,
如果你明天能到贝利去的话
you’ll have the pleasure of seeing a young Frenchman
你会看到一个叫丹尼的 法国年轻人
by the name of Darnay up for treason,
因为叛国罪被起诉
put there by no other than your humble servant.
他的下场就和那些人一样
No. Oh, if that’s true,
如果这是真的
I take my hat off to you, Barsad.
我会向你敬礼 巴索
Then doff it right now.
那就向我敬礼
Wait till I tell you how I did it.
让我告诉你 我是怎么办到的
No, no, another drink first. There’s plenty of time.
先喝一杯 时间还早
No, no, no. Now let me tell you.
不 我现在就跟你说
Now, Mr. Barsad, will you, please, tell us,
巴索先生 能不能请你告诉我
uh, in your own way, just what happened on the boat.
船上到底发生什么事
Just how your attention was first attracted to the prisoner.
你怎么会注意到被告
Well, sir, I was, uh, strolling about having a bit of exercise
阁下 我当时走出船舱 我想要运动一下
when I passed a cabin door which happened to be open.
我看到有个门没有关好
I looked down and I noticed some papers on the floor.
我往下一看 看到地板上有一些纸
Oh, I thought they might be valuable.
我对自己说
So, thinks I to myself, “Here’s my opportunity
这些纸可能很有价值
to do a good turn for some poor chap.”
我的机会来了
You know, I… I likes doing that sort of thing.
我喜欢做这种事
Do not delay, my good man.
不要拐弯抹角
Just get to the incriminating facts.
直接说重点
Yes, milord. I picked up the papers
是的 阁下 我捡起纸一看
and imagine my astonishment
我吓到了
when I discovered that they were lists
我发现这是
of His Majesty’s forces, God bless him.
英国♥军♥队的布兵图
And, uh, what was your motive
那你为什么会把这些纸
in turning these papers over to the police?
交给警方
My duty, sir.
这是我的责任 阁下
Your duty to your country? Yes, sir.
因为你爱国 是的 阁下
Your duty as a patriotic Englishman.
那你英国国民的责任
Your duty as a shining citizen.
你是个好公民
I say, milord, that were statues decreed in Britain
如果英国国民 都能像他这样的话
as they were in ancient Greece and Rome to public benefactors,
我们一定会更强 这位勇敢的公民…
this noble citizen would most assuredly have one.
一定得接受…
Your Honor, I protest. Ahem.
我抗♥议♥ 阁下
“Must we have a statue
你认为要颁个奖章呢
or would you be satisfied with just a bust?”
还是给他一个屁
Silence in court. No levity, gentlemen.
肃静 讲话文雅一点
That’s all, Mr. Barsad. Your witness.
我问完了 换你了
“No questions now.
没有问题
Later on, if you’re not too silly, we’ll…”
等一下如果你不笨的话…
No questions now. Beg pardon, milord.
我没有问题要问 对不起 阁下