that you have taught my nephew to take the new philosophy
应该好好教这位学生
of equality seriously.
把阶级制度好好教给他
Now I enjoy Monsieur Voltaire
我很喜欢
and these other modern philosophers,
看那些哲学书
but I… I take them lightly
但是那些
and merely as an exercise for the mind.
只是好玩而已
I intend to see them returned to the peasants
我要求把这些土地 还给那些平民
to whom they rightfully belong.
他们才是真正的主人
Really?
真的吗
You may thank your stars that you’re related to me, Charles,
还好你是我的亲戚
or you might very well find yourself in the Bastille.
不然我早就把你送到 巴士底监狱
Monseigneur, I pray you overlook the impulsiveness of youth.
阁下 年轻人就是冲动
My dear uncle, I’m not frightened of anything you can do.
叔叔 我根本不怕你
Charles, I beg of you.
查尔斯 不要再说了
I’m not at all sure that it wouldn’t be
话不要说那么早
the patriotic thing to imprison you, Charles,
看到你坐牢我会很伤心
in spite of the pain it would cause me personally.
我会觉得是我个人的责任
By the bye, if you should run into any difficulties in England,
还有如果你在英国遇到麻烦
let me know.
一定要通知我
The prisons, even in that utopia,
他们告诉我 就算在衣索比亚
are very uncomfortable, they tell me.
坐牢也是件痛苦的事
A pleasant journey, Mr. Darnay.
祝你旅途愉快 丹尼先生
What did he mean by that?
他说这话什么意思
Steel hand in the velvet glove.
他是个铁石心肠的人
But he’s capable of anything.
他什么都做得出来
I’m not troubled, Gabelle.
我不怕他
Charles, let me go with you.
查尔斯 让我跟你去
I can’t take you now, but someday we’ll be together.
这次不行 或许下次吧
God bless you, Charles.
愿神祝福你 孩子
On the boat to England, you say, Morveau?
马罗 你是说在船上动手吗
Do you think it can be done on the boat to England?
你认为可以在船上动手吗
Darnay will be arrested the day he lands.
只要丹尼一上岸 他就会被逮捕
You are ingenious, Morveau.
你真是天才 马罗
I like your plan. Proceed with it.
我喜欢你的计划 去做吧
Very well, Your Excellency.
是的 阁下
The boy’s capricious. He needs correction.
那个孩子头脑不清楚 他需要被管教
Yes, Your Excellency.
完全正确 阁下
Here we are, Dr. Manette, safe in England
我们到了 马尼特医生 你到英国就安全了
and you’ve borne the voyage like a seasoned traveler.
你真是个天生冒险家
It’s been a pleasant voyage.
这趟旅途很愉快
Your kindness has done me good, much good.
你们对我实在太好了
It’s nice to be one’s self again.
我很高兴又能找回自我
Believe me, Miss Manette, I’m sorry the voyage is ending.
相信我 马尼特 我也不想就这样结束
And I… I can’t tell you how glad I am
我真的很高兴
your hatbox fell into the water at Calais.
能捡到你的行李
Oh, really, Mr. Darnay.
真的吗 丹尼先生
Oh, I only meant that rescuing it
是真的 让我有这个机会
gave me the opportunity to meet you and… and your father.
可以见到你和你的父亲
And it gave me the opportunity to hear
这也让我有机会能听到…
your instructive discourse on George Washington
乔治华盛顿的事迹
and the rights of man.
和人♥权♥问题
Now you’re making sport of me, Miss Manette.
不要这样说 马尼特小姐
Oh, no, Mr. Darnay, it was most edifying.
丹尼先生 你说的很精彩
Ahoy, ashore.
靠岸
All right, lad. Hand me me luggage.
哈利 把行李给我
My bag. Get back.
是的 快点
Bon voyage.
拿去…
Barsad. Shh.
什么
Now to find the carriage, and then for London, eh, doctor?
现在是不是直接去伦敦 马尼特医生
I wonder, Miss Manette,
马尼特小姐
if I may presume to call upon you at your home?
我能不能 到你家去找你
On such short acquaintance? Oh, Mr. Darnay.
我们才只不过见几次面 不能这样说
Certainly a… a crossing from Calais in this fog
我觉得我们已经认识了很久
cannot be called short acquaintance.
请准许我再见你一次
Do let me see you again. Lucie dear, ready?
我们要走了 亲爱的
Yes, Father.
是的 父亲
Thank you, Mr. Darnay, for all your kindness.
谢谢你 丹尼先生 你对我们真好
Goodbye then until Sunday. Sunday?
那礼拜天见 礼拜天
I told father I was inviting you to sup with us on Sunday
我跟父亲讲过 说你礼拜天
at our house in Soho. Goodbye.
要到我们家来吃晚餐 再见
Goodbye, young man, until Sunday.
年轻人 礼拜天见
Which one is Evrémonde?
哪一位是艾佛蒙爵士
That’s him there.
那就是他
But he calls himself Darnay, Charles Darnay.
但是他称自己为查尔斯丹尼
And I tell you, the marquis is going to make it
我告诉你 这次任务
well worthwhile for the both of us.
可以让我们大赚一笔
Really, not working yet, Carton? This is too much.
还没有开始工作吗 卡顿 你太扯了
You’ve got to put your mind on this case.
你应该专心在这件案子上
No, not possible.
不 这不可能
They’ve got this Charles Darnay up for treason.
这件案子是查尔斯丹尼 被控叛国
I don’t know Charles Darnay.
我不认识查尔斯丹尼
I hate treason, I hate Frenchmen.
我讨厌叛国♥贼♥ 所以我讨厌法国人
For that matter, I hate Englishmen.
我也讨厌英国人
Yes, yes, but Lorry sent this case on to us
是 但是赖瑞
with a special request for all my consideration.
特别把这个案子给我们
Oh, it’s not my consideration he wants, it’s yours.
叫我仔细处理这件案子
Why don’t you give it to him? Give it to him.
他叫你处理又没叫我处理 既然如此你就去处理吧
You don’t need me. You’re the great barrister Stryver.
你不需要我 我会让你丢脸
Stryver of the King’s Bench Bar.
我让你觉得很幼稚
Well, if I am, it’s due to perseverance.
才不是呢 我很努力
I had to get into the front rank.
才有今天这个地位
I wasn’t born there, was I?
我又不是生下来就有
I use my brains. Ah, you use mine, you mean.
我用头脑 你是用我的头脑
Well, if I do, I pay you for it.
如果真是如此 我也付你钱
Well, not enough to justify your interfering with my drinking.
可是你打断我喝酒 光是这点你就付不起
But this is a treason case. It’s a matter of life and death.
但是这是件叛国案 可是攸关生死
Well, so is everything else. What of it?
每一件案子都是这样 其他的也…
Carton, I beg of you, have a look at this brief.
我求求你 先看看这个简报
Really, Carton,
卡顿
with a man’s life in your hands, how can you hesitate?
这个人的生命在你手上 你怎么能这么马虎
I don’t hesitate.
我没有马虎
But I tell you, Darnay is lost.
但是我告诉你 这个案子有问题
We have to find a way to counteract the evidence
我们必须想办法联络到证人
of these witnesses, Barsad and Cly.
巴索和克莱
Barsad and Cly. Cly and Barsad.
巴索和克莱 克莱和巴索
Barsad and Cly.
巴索和克莱
A case like that could be tried on mere sound.
我们干脆根据拼音来审判
What are you talking about?
你在说什么
Well, Barsad and Cly, or Cly and Barsad
不管是巴索还是克莱
by the very sound of their names,
根据他们的名字
by the build of their syllables
以及音节可以判定
are manifestly villains.
他们是坏人
Just as the other fellow, the, the defendant,
就像另一个人
what was his name? Darnay. Charles Darnay.
而被告叫什么名字 查尔斯丹尼
Equally, manifestly a gentleman.
听起来就是个绅士的名字
But you can’t convict a man on syllables,
你不能用名字
on the sound of his name.
来审判一个人
Barsad.
巴索…
Barsad.
巴索…
I seem to know that name.
我听过这个名字
Wasn’t he involved in a…
他以前也出过庭
treason case once before?
而且也是叛国案
Barsad. Yes, he was.
没错 就是他
I believe we’ve uncovered something here, Carton.
我相信我们找到了重要的线索
Well, Mr. Darnay, fate and Mr. Barsad have it
丹尼先生 时代下的牺牲品
that I should handle your case.
我该怎么审这件案子
I may lead you to fortune or the grave.
我可以带你走向命运或坟墓
Who knows, and who cares?
谁知道,谁在乎?
I wish you’d stop drinking or I wouldn’t give much
我希望你能不要再喝酒
for Mr. Darnay’s fortune.
不然我看丹尼先生也完了