They want to jail the dying,
他们要把将死的人送进监狱
why don’t they turn the houses of parliament into a prison,
他们怎么不把国会大楼变成监狱
and leave us all there to rot,
然后把我们扔到里面等死
powerless and helpless, if that’s how they want to keep us?
无力又无助 这就是他们能给我们的
I also suffer from increased impatience
我的性情变得愈加暴躁
and am extremely irritable,
而且极为易怒
as my family will tell you.
我的家人会向你们说明这一点
My excuse is my symptoms.
我的借口就是疾病导致
They might say otherwise.
他们可能还有其他缘由
Well, now we have that in writing, mother.
我们已经都写下来了 母亲
And now guess how I’m really going to annoy you.
现在 猜猜我要怎么烦你
You know who you agreed to play chess with tonight?
你知道今晚谁会和你玩国际象棋吗
Oh, Clare.
克莱尔
I can’t play chess any more.
我已经玩不了国际象棋了
She’s insisting. That woman is a ferret!
她坚持的 那女人狡猾得像雪貂
Are you letting me win?
你是打算让我赢吗
That is the easiest game of chess we’ve ever played.
这可是我们玩过的最容易的一局
You know me better than that. I hate losing.
你很了解我的 我一向不喜欢输棋
Oh, the world’s worst, that’s true. I never give in.
那倒是 我从来不认输
You’re cut from the same cloth, aren’t you?
你不也是一样不肯认输吗
I’m well aware you’ve got a hard fight ahead of you.
我也知道你在经历一场特殊的较量
Getting through this bugger of an illness.
经历这该死的疾病
You’re going to need your wits about you
你需要智慧
to stay on top of it
来战胜它
and there’s no better woman to cope with that.
你是一个聪明人 该知道怎样应对
Are you paying me a compliment?
你是在恭维我吗
Why?
为什么
Perhaps it’s because you’re a friend I revere.
因为你是个另我尊敬的朋友
Well, for the first time in your life,
这可是你有生以来
you have shocked me into silence.
头一次让我无言以对
I do worry about you and I worry about the children
我真的很担心你 也担心孩子们
And it’s not the disease that bothers me most,
让我担心的不是你的疾病
it’s what you might do about it.
而是你要应对疾病的做法
Something silly,
愚蠢的做法
something that can’t be undone
这种做法是无法后悔的
and that will damage others even more than you.
它对别人的伤害大于对你自己的伤害
You know everything, don’t you, Clare?
你都知道了 是吧 克莱尔
Richard didn’t need to tell. I had to look into Jessica’s face.
理查德没说 但我光看杰西卡的脸就明白了
Have you any idea what your children are suffering?
你知道他们在承受着怎样的痛苦吗
You can tell me to mind my own business
你可以告诉我别多管闲事
but, please, Anne, never try that again.
但是 安娜 请你不要那么做
I’m asking you that.
我正式求求你
And I ask you something else as well,
我还要请求你
which I’m nervous to even suggest.
提这个要求我有些紧张
May I pray for you?
我可以为你祈祷吗
Of course, yes.
当然可以 当然
If it helps you. I want it to help you.
如果这能帮助你的话 我是要帮助你
You do, I’m sure, and if it does,
你所做的都是在帮助我 如果成真了
I’ll be the first to let you know
我会第一时间通知你
But we each have our own way of doing things.
但我们行事都有自己的方法
We will, as ever, beg to differ and respect that.
像往常一样 我们会求同存异
I am not going to lie to you, Clare.
我不想骗你 克莱尔
I know you’ve tried it once but
我知道你已经尝试过一次了
if you’re going to tell me why you choose suicide, don’t.
但如果你想说自杀的原因的话 就不必了
I don’t think I could cope with that,
我觉得我接受不了
Anne. I don’t need you to explain.
安娜 我不需要你的解释
Right you are, but I do want to explain.
你说的对 但是我还是想解释
I think people will want to know why.
我想大家都会想知道为什么
It might be my way of explaining to myself.
我想对自己有个交待
I’m actually thinking of approaching the tv news people.
实际上我还打算上电视说明这件事
You’d go on television?
你要上电视去说
Have you taken leave of your senses?
你该不是失去理智了吧
You’re going to show off on television?
你想到电视上去卖♥♥弄吗
Showing off? In this condition?
卖♥♥弄 就以我现在的状况吗
Anne, this is all wrong.
安娜 这可大错特错了
This is selfish and typical.
这太自私太各异了
You’ve always been a spoilt woman.
你真是个被惯坏了的女人
Jack spoilt you, your children spoilt you,
杰克惯着你 你的孩子们也惯着你
everyone running around at your command.
每个人都围着你转
Well, this is going too far.
你有点太离谱了
This is seriously what you intend?
这真的是你想要做的吗
You think it’s clever?
你自以为很明智吗
It’s cruel. It’s cruel and stupid,
你的做法很残酷 残酷而愚蠢
stupid and thoughtless and don’t you
愚蠢而轻率
dare try to convince me otherwise!
你可别指望着要说服我
Clare, you don’t know and you forget what Jack suffered.
克莱尔 你不知道 你也忘了杰克承受的痛苦
No, you’re forgetting what more people than you suffer
不 是你忘了其他人比你承受了更多的痛苦
and they have the courage to face it
他们有勇气去面对
without putting their children through
但他们没有像你一样
what you’re putting yours through.
让你的孩子们承受这些折磨
Do you know what I think you are? I think you’re a coward.
你知道我怎么看你吗 我觉得你是懦夫
And jack would agree with me.
杰克肯定会赞同我的看法
You’ve gone far enough. Well, I’ll go one step further.
你有点过了 我还没说完呢
I think you planned this suicide
我觉得你从开始
from the first minute you heard.
就是在筹划着自杀呢
Moving house and putting your
搬家 把孩子们的精力
children’s concerns above yours
吸引到你这里来
and letting them look after you.
让他们照顾你
It’s all an act, my girl,
这很明显 姐们
fooling everybody but not fooling me, not any longer.
你骗得了别人骗不了我
You knew all along what you were going to do and you lied.
你早就打算好了 而且你一直在撒谎
You’re a coward beyond doubt, also a liar.
毫无疑问 你就是个懦夫 一个骗子
Because the likes of you can’t take the truth.
你这么说是因为接受不了现实
You would know the truth any longer.
你以后会知道真♥相♥的
You’re the liar. The liar is looking at me.
你才是骗子 真正的骗子就是你
You believe what you like, Clare,
你只相信你喜欢的 克莱尔
But it is not what I believe and that’s what frightens you.
但那不是我相信的 那正是你所畏惧的
I am willing to stand alone.
我渴望独♥立♥
You have never done so. I do so now.
你永远不会这么做 我现在就在做
Well, then I leave you there.
好啊 我就让你独♥立♥
I will never see you again.
我不会再来看你了
No, you won’t, and I’m not afraid of that.
不 你才不会 我根本不怕这个
You are afraid, Clare.
害怕的是你 克莱尔
I am not.
我不怕
I’m not afraid!
我不怕
Courage.
勇气
If a doctor was to help you die here
在英国 如果有医生帮助你死亡
in Britain, it would be a crime.
那就是犯罪
Then the law… The law must be changed.
那么 那么法律就需要改变
A terminally ill person should be able to die
在疾病的折磨达到
if they so choose,
无法忍♥受之前
before their lives become unbearable.
一个病危的人有权选择如何死亡
Or at least know they have that option.
或者 至少让他们知道有其他的选择
So it’s true is it, that of those who
诚如您所言
are approved for this procedure,
那些赞成此程序的人也这样认为
less than a third actually see it through?
但只有三分之一的人认同这点
Yes,
是的
people just like to know it’s an option.
人们只是想了解那也是一个出路
It relieves them of their suffering.
但它确实能让遭受病痛折磨的人解脱
And to me, as a doctor,
对于我 作为一个医生
that is a fundamental duty of medicine.
那是一项基本责任
And what would you say to those
那您想对那些对更改法律
who fear that a change in the law
有异议的人说些什么
Would undermine the trust between doctor and patient?
这会损害医生和患者之间的信任关系吗
It sets us on a slippery slope.
让我们处于一个困难的处境
Well, people will say that,
有些人会这么说
But in countries where the law has changed,
但是在法律允许的国家
there is not a shred of evidence to support that view.
却没有任何证据说明有这类情况发生
None at all.
一个都没有
Some people watching this interview,
安娜女士 那些观看这个采访的人