You’ll have to spend a few days looking after her.
你们要花几天来照顾她
Well, one of you will.
你们得留个人
Are you surprised she’s done it, Richard?
你料到了她会这么做吗 理查德
I’m surprised at the way she’s tried.
我没料到她竟然尝试这种方法
What do you mean?
你什么意思
It’s not easy to kill yourself with these.
用这样的方式自杀并不容易的
They have built-in antidotes.
他们已经嵌入了解药
Did she not know that?
她不知道吗
Maybe she was forgetful.
可能是她太健忘了
Maybe she was desperate.
也许是她太绝望了
We can never leave her alone again.
我们不能再丢下她了
We can’t be here morning, noon and night, the three of us.
我们三个 不可能早中晚都在这里
If we have to, we have to, because this is a cry for help.
如果必须这样 只能如此 因为这是在求救
It isn’t, Jessica.
你错了 杰西卡
You can’t want her to die.
你不能盼着她死
Jessica, it’s not a question of whether she lives or dies.
杰西卡 这不是她是死是活的问题
It’s a question of making a choice
是她在两种死法之间做选择
between a good death and a bad death.
是好死还是赖死
Do you want her to suffer or not to suffer?
你想让她受苦还是痛快的死
That’s the choice she has to make. So do we.
那是她必须做的选择 我们也一样
I quite understand you’re all furious with me.
我很理解你们都生我气的原因
Causing such a fuss. None of us are furious.
弄得你们大惊小怪 我们并没有怪你
How could we be? Did you want us to find you dead?
我们怎么会呢 你想让我们看着你死吗
Why do what you did? Why put yourself through all this?
为什么要那么做 你为什么要折磨自己
There are people worse off.
很多人的情况比你更糟
Not when this disease is finished with me.
只要我还在忍♥受这折磨 就没人比我更痛苦
I want to die.
我想要死
I ask you not to stop me.
请你们不要阻止我
Don’t ask that. Do you know what you’re saying?
别这样 你知道你在说什么吗
I’d thought of a thousand ways to tell the three of you,
我在想法设法的告诉你们三个
but I don’t know how to do it.
但我不知道该怎么讲
I’ve heard of this…
我听说
Oh… I can’t think of the word,
叫什么我想不起来了
My mind isn’t entirely clear.
我的头脑不是很清晰
It’s an organisation in Switzerland.
那是个瑞士的组织
Based there.
总部在那
What do they do?
他们做什么
They’d let you die if you want to.
如果你选择死亡 他们可以满足你
They have the decency to do that.
而且他们做的很好
Sophie, will you phone them for me?
索菲 你能帮我给他们打个电♥话♥吗
I hate talking on the phone now.
我现在不想打电♥话♥
I came across them when your father was ill.
当年你父亲生病的时候 我见过他们
I wish to follow it up now.
我很想也那么做
At least talk to them about what I can do.
至少告诉他们我能做些什么
Is this some kind of euthanasia?
这算不算是安乐死
Assisted dying.
辅助死亡
You administer the drug yourself.
你自己用药
No!
不
Absolutely no.
绝对不行
I have no choice, Jessica.
我没有选择 杰西卡
I know what’s coming.
我知道等待我的是什么
I’m not afraid of dying.
我不惧怕死亡
But I am afraid of going through what your father suffered.
但我不能再像你父亲那样承受病痛的折磨
Do you want me to end like that?
你们想让我也那样死去吗
I’m sorry for all the bad news.
很抱歉让你们听到这些坏消息
You cannot know
你们不会知道
how sorry I am
我对此
for so many things.
有多难过
But one thing I am not sorry for.
但是让我欣慰的是
I have wonderful children.
我有这么好的儿女
And I need you now.
现在 我需要你们
I need all three of you.
我需要你们三个
We’re here.
我们都在这儿
Always.
一直在
So, you’re asking me to phone this Swiss organisation,
你要我给那个瑞士组织打电♥话♥
make a little appointment, and then
约一个时间 然后把你送到苏黎世
pack you off to Zurich where you will die?
你会在那里离开这个世界
That’s all I have to do, is it?
这就是我要做的吗
You do not know if I wish to terminate my mother’s life.
你知道我可不想结束自己母亲的生命
Stop being the blue-eyed boy, Edward! Say something.
别在那当乖儿子了 爱德华 说点什么
The disease is beating me.
疾病在侵袭着我
It will only beat us if we let it. If we can fight…
如果什么都不做当然不能战胜疾病 如果
I am fighting a different battle.
我在打一场特殊的仗
I’ll stand by you.
我会支持你的
You could be prosecuted.
你有可能会被起诉的
You could lose everything you’ve worked for.
你会失去你曾努力得到的一切
I don’t give a damn about that. You should.
我不在乎 你该珍惜
I’ll do what I decide and I decide to be with you.
我做我想要做的 而我要做的就是陪着你
You do know what it is I’m going to do?
你真的明白我要做的是什么吗
Yes, mother.
是的 妈妈
And no-one else can know.
而且别人不会理解
You win.
你赢了
Don’t bully me, Sophie.
别那样看着我 索菲
Just give me time.
给我些时间
I don’t know how much time we have.
我不知道我们还有多少时间
Jessica.
杰西卡
I’ll look after her.
我会照顾她
Yes, yes, I understand.
是的 是的 我理解
Provide a birth or a marriage certificate, yes.
提供一份出生或者已婚证明 好的
Meet your physician.
去找你们的医生
You do discuss medical alternatives.
你们会准备医疗方案
Tell them about daddy.
告诉他们爸爸的事
Am I right in understanding you only
你是说 你们只能
operate in Switzerland?
在瑞士做手术 对吗
Tell them what he suffered.
告诉他们他的遭遇
And the waiting time?
需要等多久
What we saw him go through.
我们看到了他经历的一切
Control is with the patient until the very end.
由病人来决定最后的时刻
Thank you very much.
非常感谢
Why didn’t you tell them about daddy?
为什么不和他们讲爸爸的事
Can we meet them in London?
可以和他们在伦敦见面吗
No. Not allowed to by law.
不行 法律不允许
Mother needs to write a letter,
妈妈需要写一份申请
why she wants the arrangements,
说明为什么她要预约
depending on how unbearable…
还要选择痛苦的程度
How… unbearable…
痛苦的程度
How unbearable…
所遭受的痛苦
She’s not really going to do this, is she?
她不会那样做的 对吗
I’ve now passed through stages one and two
我现在已经完成了第一和第二阶段的
of progressive supra-nuclear palsy.
核上性麻♥痹♥的♥积极治疗
The third stage has well begun.
并已开始第三阶段治疗
I have difficulty eating,
现在进食都很困难
I cough and choke,
咳嗽并且呼吸困难
I cannot read or watch the news or television.
不能看报纸或看电视
My past career as a doctor is now a dream.
我的从医生涯已经结束
I can barely support myself on my two legs.
我几乎不能独自站立
I suffer from complete loss of power.
我遭受着失去自理能力的痛苦
Can you make out what I’m saying? Yes, I can, mother.
你能理解我在说什么吗 是的 母亲
Complete loss of power in my arms, my bladder,
我已不能自♥由♥支配我的的手臂 膀胱
my whole body.
甚至是整个身体
I soon won’t be able to close my mouth.
很快 我将不能合拢自己的嘴
I need help dressing.
衣服需要让别人穿
I need help living.
生活需要依靠别人
And if I don’t take this path
如果不能通过
that your organisation offers me,
贵组织提供的途径自杀的话
I will soon be unable to physically say enough.
我很快就会失去语言表达能力
Enough, please, enough.
够了 天哪 够了
It’s all right, mother. No, it isn’t, Sophie!
没关系的 妈妈 不 有关系 索菲
I can’t even talk to these people in my own country.
我甚至不能在自己的国家和他们交流
What kind of ludicrous law would turn us into criminals?
什么荒谬的法律会把我们变成罪犯