I then saw something remarkable.
我发觉了一件事情
For the first time, Paul broke free of our father’s instruction…
保罗第一次违反了父亲的指示
into a rhythm all his own.
他创造了自己的节奏
OK.
好了
OK.
很好
They’re both marvellous.
他们两个都很棒
I’d say the Lord has blessed us all today.
我想上帝今天都照顾了我们
It’s just that he’s been particularly good to me.
但是他对我好一点
North Coast! Stops in Helena, Bozeman…
北岸车 停靠海伦娜城 波兹曼
The year ended with my acceptance into Dartmouth College.
年终时我考入了达特默斯大学
Sometime before, Father had told me…
以前 父亲曾说
that I could attend any college in the world I could get into.
我可以去读任何我考得上的大学
I knew he earned no more than $1,800 a year…
我知道他一年只赚1800美元
so his offer meant more to me than anything in my life.
所以我很感激他对我的支持
Well, do your best.
尽可能地努力
I will.
我会的
All aboard!
上车啰
Hey, Norman! Norm!
诺曼 诺曼
So, in the autumn of 1919…
1919年的秋天
I boarded the Northern Pacific…
我搭上北太平洋线的火车
for a 3,000-mile trip east…
朝着东方三千里外的
to the unknown.
陌生地方前往
To the son of a Montana minister
对一个蒙大拿牧师的儿子来说
Dartmouth was more than an education.
达特默斯不只是个学习机会
It was a revelation
它是有启示性的
exposing me to a world I’d only guessed at.
我见识到很多从没见过的
As part of my degree I was required…
我的学位必修课包括
to enlighten incoming freshmen on the wonders of the Romantic poets.
教导新学生欣赏浪漫派的诗词
And although I was unaware of it then…
虽然我当时没注意到
teaching fit me.
教书很适合我
But most of the time, I sat in the card room of my fraternity house…
但大多时间我都在兄弟会
giving my blue-nosed brothers a lesson in Front Street poker.
教新兄弟如何玩扑克牌
In all, I spent six years at Dartmouth…
我花了六年在达特默斯
away from home nearly all that time.
几乎都没回过家
On the other hand, Paul stayed home for college…
同时 保罗在家附近上大学
unwilling to leave the fish he had not yet caught.
不忍♥心放弃钓大鱼的机会
After graduation, he took a job as a reporter for a Helena newspaper…
毕业后 他在海伦娜报社当记者
and moved to that town…
并搬去那城里住了
his connection with the family growing as slight as my own.
我与他跟家人的关系愈来愈薄
It was not until the spring of 1926…
我直到1926年春天
that I finally did come home.
才回家
Dinner is in Half an hour
晚餐再半小时就好了
so you have time for a bath.
你有时间洗个澡
Do I look thin, Mother?
母亲 我瘦了吗
Do I look old, Norman?
诺曼 我老了吗
No, you look, uh…
不 你看来…
I wish Paul could have been here tonight.
真希望保罗今晚能来
He’s working late.
他工作到很晚
Norman?
诺曼
Won’t you come in?
请你来一下
I’m sorry Paul won’t be here.
对不起 保罗不能来
The life of a newspaperman.
做记者很忙的
Well, you know how Paul likes to…
你也知道保罗喜欢…
I do.
我了解
Sit.
坐啊
I also hear that he…
我也听说他…
Well, I hear everything, don’t I?
我是不是很喜欢听传说?
The Lord forbid my flock keep me in ignorance.
上帝不会让我的孩子隐瞒我
Yes.

You can bet that everyone from here…
从这里到海伦娜城的人
to Helena knows all about your education.
都知道你在达特默斯的详情
It is an achievement.
那是一种成就
To what use shall you put this achievement?
你想怎么利用这成就呢
Uh… Well, I’ve been considering the Forest Service.
我考虑加入林务局
As a career?
当作职业吗
No…

No, for the summer.
不 只在这个夏天
As a break.
像是假期一样
Well, that’s a good idea.
好主意
The body fuels the mind.
身体能补助心智
That’s what I was thinking. And after?
我正是那么想的 然后呢?
I’m not absolutely sure yet.
我还不确定
Well, you’ve had six years to become sure, Norman.
你花了六年来考虑了
Have you considered an advanced degree?
你想过拿更高的学位吗
The law? Medicine?
法律? 医学?
No.
没有
The ministry?
神学?
I’ve applied for several teaching positions.
我申请了教书职位
Have you?
是吗
College level, but I haven’t heard yet.
教大学 但还没有消息
No, no, it’s early, but…
不…还早 但是…
Now, you have taught classes already, haven’t you?
你教过课了吧?
Yes.
是的
And did you find that experience rewarding?
你觉得那经验好吗
That is to saydo you feel this could be your calling?
就是说… 你要拿那当作职业吗
My calling?
职业?
Dinner, gentlemen!
先生们 晚餐好了
Pee in their pants? If it’s so funny, how come I’m not laughing?
尿在裤子上? 奇怪 我怎么笑不出来
Yes, pee in their pants. I got a better story…
是 尿在裤子里 我有更好的…
Paul Maclean? In there.
保罗·麦克雷在吗 在里面
The rules at Anaconda mines say…
亚纳康达矿地规定
“No breaks, not even for the john. ”
“不准休息 连上个厕所也不准”
So the poor bastards pee in their pants.
所以他们只得尿在裤子里
What about the late, uh… George Masterson!
过世的那个… 乔治·马斯德森?
She’s 23 and built like a brick shithouse.
伤心的寡妇
Oh, I’ll take that. No, no!
我来报道这个 不行
You take the Anaconda thing…
你去报道亚纳康达
I’ll interview the grieving widow.
我来采访那个伤心的寡妇
But I’m the boss, Maclean!
我是老板 我做决定
Fine by me, Boss!
那好吧 老板
Brother!
老哥
Look at you!
瞧瞧你
Boys, this is my big brother, the professor.
各位 这是我当教授的大哥
Gentlemen. Hiya!
各位好 你好
Sit.

Thanks for coming to see me last night
谢谢你昨晚想来看我
I am sorry about that. I wanted to be there.
抱歉没去成 我实在很想去
I wanted to hear the old man say
很想去听老爸说
“Norman, come into my study, please.”
“诺曼 请你来我的书房♥”
Jeez, the professor!
天啊 你成了教授
We should celebrate!
我们应该庆祝
A little early for me.
这么早我喝不下去
Oh! The east is making you soft.
呆在东部让你软弱了
Is that right?
是吗
Do much fishing out east?
你在东部钓鱼吗
None.
没有
None?
没有?
Well, what do you say? The Big Blackfoot.
要不要去大黑脚
You set?
准备好了吗
Yeah.
好了
Why don’t you take this hole? It’s good.
你来这个水洞钓 很棒
No, it’s all right. No, it’s a good hole.
没关系 你去吧 来吧 这个水洞很好
Too tight. Try a roll-cast.
太紧了 试试用卷的
The fish are out further.
要远一点才有鱼
Just a little… further.
远那么一点
Cast your line into the current.
把线抛到水流
It’ll give you better base
范围会大一点
add some distance.
增加距离
You’re just rusty, that’s all.
你只是生疏了
He called it shadow-casting…
他把这叫做投影抛线

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!