你好 那个…
Hello. Hi, sir.
是,我马上过去
Yeah. I’ll be right there.
如果还需要什麽,请告诉我,好吗?
Please just let me know if you need anything else, okay?
–好,欢迎 –好
Okay. – Okay. Welcome.
叫利夫…利夫什麽?
So, it’s liver… liver what?
是劳伦斯利夫莫尔实验室
Nah, it’s Lawrence Livermore Labs.
–那是什麽?
So what the hell is that?
–是一个联邦研究机构
It’s a federal research facility. – Uh-huh.
就像国♥家♥安♥全♥机构一样
It’s, uh, it’s, like, national security.
我们正在研发全球最先进的X光雷射
And we’re working on the… on the most sophisticated X-ray laser in the world.
有可能成为…
It could be potentially the…
这可能是数十年来 对洲际弹道飞弹防御
like, this-this is potentially…
–最重要的突破 –和平
the single most important breakthrough for ICBM defense in decades.
你说枪?
So… so… so guns.
贝托,
Huh? Eh, vato.
我们刚刚在讲雷射
We were just talking about lasers.
我们要把它们放置在轨道上 拯救数百万人的生命
And we’re gonna put them out in the orbit and save millions of lives
如果俄♥罗♥斯♥进攻的话
if the Russians were to attack.
–如果俄♥罗♥斯♥进攻的话 –是的
太疯狂了
– If the Russians were to attack. Yeah. – Yeah.
你知道那是真的吧?
That’s pretty crazy, man.
不可能
You know that that’s a real thing, right?
你不看报纸吗?
You don’t read the newspapers?
还记得我们小时候
Remember when we were kids
想成为的人
and in school they made us draw what we wanted to be when we grew up?
–是的 –我记得你的
Yeah. Yeah. – I remember yours.
–杨老师把它挂在班上
Miss Young, she-she hanged it in class.
–对,我记得
Ah, yeah, yeah, I remember.
–我说我想成为牧场乐歌♥手
I said I wanted to be a ranchera singer.
–对,但你不会唱歌♥–没错
Yeah, but you can’t sing.
–也不会弹吉他
Or play the guitar.
–但我拿吉他很帅
I look good in one, though.
–是的
Yeah.
利夫这份工作,不是去当太空人
This liver thing, it’s not being an astronaut,
但你还是能把东西送上太空吧?
but you still get to throw things into space, right?
是的
Yeah. Yeah.
我们来点炭烤猪肉
So how about we get a little barbeque…
和几罐啤酒
a couple of beers…
为太空中的雷射乾杯?
and we toast to lasers in space, huh?
–好 –就这麽办
All right, all right. – Let’s do that.
贝托,
Hey, Beto!
你漏收了几排作物
You missed a couple of rows, man!
–我没有
I didn’t!
–是真的
Yeah, you did.
–你可能漏掉了 –我没有
I didn’t. – You probably did. You probably did.
–去把事情做完! –我收完了
I did, okay. – Finish it, man!
–看来我得回去一趟 –好
I guess I’ll have to go back, man.- Okay. – Yeah.
我觉得我能如此自豪真是太棒了
I just think it’s great that I get to be so freaking proud
然后听不懂你在说什麽,表哥
and have no idea what you’re talking about, cousin.
我会想你的
I’m gonna miss you, man.
我又没有要远行,我会待在这
Hey, it’s not like I’m going anywhere. I’m staying right here.
这不是重点
That’s not the point.
你离开这裡了
You’re out of here.
你要去一个有工作
You’re going to a place with a job, a title
有头衔和尊重的地方
and respect.
工程师!
Engineer!
太不可思议了
Unbelievable, man.
贝托
Hey, Beto. – Huh?
我帮你收成最后几排作物
I’ll help you with those couple last rows…
然后我们就去喝啤酒
and we’ll go get some beers.
好,
Okay, okay.
你准备好了吗?准备好了
You ready for this? – Yeah, yeah.
你不必吼我,我跟我表哥在一起
Look, you don’t have to scream, you know?
好,知道了
I’m with my cousin. – Yeah.
我要你影印这些资料 每页两份,
I want you to xerox these, two copies each page,
然后拿到地下室存档
then archive them in the basement.
这样要印很多张,大约一千张
That’s a… that’s a lot of copies.- There’s like a thousand copies.
是的
Yeah.
你认为有没有更好的方式
Do you think that maybe there’s a…
来利用我的时间?
there might be a-a better way to use my time?
这是利用时间的好方法
This is a good way to use your time.
你有一封信
You got mail.
–这是浪费时间
It’s a waste of time.
对嘛?–是的…
Right? Yeah, yeah, yeah.
美国太空总署
1985年8月20日 荷西赫南德兹先生
亲爱的申请者 我们很遗憾地通知您
你想吃辣酱捲饼吗,儿子?
Do you want some enchiladas, mijo?
不了,妈妈
No, Mommy.
还是明天带去公♥司♥吃?
Maybe you want to take them for work tomorrow?
不了,没关係
No, that… I’m-I’m okay.
你姊妹说她帮你物色了一个好女孩
Your sister said that she met a nice girl for you.
妈,拜託,天啊
Ma, please.
我们不会永远陪在你身边
We’re not gonna be around forever, you know?
之后你要怎麽办?
And then what are you gonna do? Hmm?
孤独终老,就像…
Grow old by yourself like some kind of-of-of…
疯狂科学家吗?
Mad scientist, or what?
妈,拜託妳,今晚别谈这个
Ma, please, not tonight. I’m…
什麽?
Please, what?
今天别谈这个,我今天…
Not today, okay? I mean, t-today was…
–今天怎样? –我今天压力很大
Was what? – It was, it was overwhelming, okay?
“压力很大”
Overwhelming?
你去试试看跟那个男人相处一天 再告诉我什麽叫压力大!
And then you can tell me what’s overwhelming!
你甚至还奖励他啤酒!
You even give him a reward beer!
快进去!
Go inside!
你会感冒的
You’re going to catch a cold.
暴风雨快来了
A storm’s coming up.
我不希望我的树被毁掉
I don’t want my trees to get ruined.
你整天开着那辆车
You spend all day driving that car.
来回穿梭,对吧?
Back and forth, no?
从田地到罐头工厂
From the fields to the cannery.
你回家后做些什麽?你继续工作
And then what do you do when you get home? Ah, you work some more.
你可以把农夫带出田地
You can take the farmer out of the field,
但你无法把田地从农夫身上带走
but you can’t take the field out of the farmer.
–帮我固定树木 –不要
Help me with the tree.
快点!
Come on!
好了!
There you go!
它很美吧?
Isn’t she a beauty?
儿子,你还好吗?
How are you doing, mijo?
我不知道
Ah. I don’t know.
有一点挑战
Things could be easier. – Ey.
你已经很清楚
努力工作
Well, you already know:
否则什麽都没有
Hard work or nothing.
你可以为我感到骄傲
And you could be proud of me.
我是一名工程师,不是清洁工之类的
I mean, I’m an engineer.I’m not some, like, janitor or something.
如果你是呢?
What if you were?
当清洁工不好吗?
What’s wrong with being a janitor? – No, there’s nothing wrong with it,
没有不好,但不是火箭科学
but it’s not, like, rocket science.
你还卡在第一要诀吗?
You’re still trying to figure out ingredient number one, mijo.
你的目标是什麽?
What’s your goal?
你的目标是什麽?
What’s your goal?
哈?
Huh?
你还有很长的路要走
You have a long way to go.
你知道你妈妈和我 为你做的一切吧?
You know everything your mother and me did for you, right?
–我知道
No, I know.
–我们放弃的一切…
No, I know… – Everything we gave up?
–我知道
No, I know everything. I know. – Gil.
–吉尔、查瓦、莱蒂 –我全都知道
Chava. Lety. – No, I know. No, I know everything.
我知道你因为我 失去了米却肯州的房♥子
I know you lost the house in Michoacán because of me.Okay?
每次我们喝啤酒时 你都要提起这件事?
Do you have to bring it up every single time we have a beer?
那只会让气氛变沉重
It just gets heavy.
那就变得更强