or are you just trying to one-up his GED offer?
做的好
Great minds.
拜托!她当然得修一门语言课
Come on, man. Of course she takes a language.
– 你想学法语, 对吧? – 别傻了
-You want to speak French, don’t you? -Don’t be an ass.
她这年龄不能选初级法语的
You know that she can’t take French 1 as a senior.
好吧
All right.
我们已经有英国文学, 欧洲历史, 地理学, 心理学
So we got English Lit, European History, Geography, Psychology.
我们还需要一门
We need one more.
– 艺术鉴赏不错 – 音乐
-l think Art Appreciation. -Music.
– 我想她会喜欢音乐的 – 我不去
-l think she’d like music. -I’m not going.
该死, 都说好了
Well, God damn, it’s already set up.
你知道为了让你读书,我花了多大工夫吗?
Do you know how much l had to go through for you for this?
为了我? 你期望我…. 得了吧, 你有什么好处?
For me? You expect me to…. Come on. What’s in it for you?
首先, 你去读书,我图个清静
Firstly, it’ll get you out of the house, for my sanity.
– 那正是我想的 – 不, 听着
-That’s what l thought. -No, look.
你说的话,点醒了我
You said something to me recently. it got me thinking.
你说, “我只是个小女孩”
You said, “I’m just a girl.”
或许我已经变得太无情了, 但你只是个小女孩
Maybe I’ve grown too calloused over the years, but you are just a girl.
和许多年前 我课堂的学生没什么不同
Not unlike the students that flowed through my classes years ago.
我知道对你来说, 我们一定看起来很可怕…
And l know that we must seem horrible to you…
但我们还有能力帮你 我们一定要这么做
but we still got something to offer. We must.
另外 我认为这是我们欠你妈妈的
And besides, l think we owe it to your mother.
虽然难以置信…
And as hard is it is to believe…
但我们也曾是无辜的孩子
we, too, once were innocent children.
你真无♥耻♥
You are such a shameless ham.
你凭什么认为我能这么做?
What makes you think l could do this?
因为我们认识上帝, 上帝也认识我们
Because we know God, and God knows us.
他和萝瑞把你带到这来 肯定是有理由的
And he and Lorraine brought you here for a reason.
学校一个月后开课
School starts in a month.
试试看 会很有趣的
You can give us a chance. it might be fun.
“乐趣” 是种徒刑, 你不这么认为吗?
“Fun” is a stretch, don’t you think?
听听, 甜心 那是你妈妈的歌♥
Listen, sweetheart, that’s one of your mama’s songs.
真美
That’s beautiful.
她会很骄傲的
She’d be so proud.
你怎么看我的脸?
What do you think of my face?
看到这个骨头了吗? 它断了
See this bone? it’s broken.
你可以移♥动♥它
But you can move it.
怎么会这样的?
How’d that happen?
“绝对不要和陌生人讲道理” 阿瑟‧米勒说的
“Never fight fair with a stranger.” Arthur Miller.
是打架造成的? 你打输了?
That happened in a fight? You lost?
嗯, 我输掉了很多东西, 不仅仅是打架
Well, l lost a lot more than the fight.
它是不是有损于我的外观? 小姐,您觉得呢?
Does it take away from my appearance, in your opinion, miss?
我觉得你仍然很帅
l think you’re still handsome.
多会讲话
Well, aren’t y’all sweet?
你们有过性关系吗?
Are you having sexual intercourse with one another?
– 好了, 鲁斯教授, 我们走吧 -有的话,也没关系
-Okay, Dr. Ruth, let’s go. -it’s all right if you are.
性♥爱♥是好事
Sex is nice.
要记住对彼此温柔一点
Just remember to be kind to one another.
要尽量保持年轻 你们的青春是短暂的 要善待之
And stay young as long as you can. Your youth is fleeting. Be kind.
我们应该从记诵开始
We should start with memorization.
我想我们应该坚持苏格拉底的方法
l think we should stick to the Socratic method.
你真的这样想? 谁是柏拉图, 谁是苏格拉底…
You do? Just exactly who is Plato and who is Socrates…
在这次安排中? 因为我不参与
in this arrangement? Because I’ll just stay out.
你是苏格拉底, 当然
You are Socrates, of course.
– 你是老师 -非常正确
-You are the Teacher. -You’re goddamn right l am.
我希望你们都闭嘴…
l wish y’all would just shut up…
因为如果这样的话 我什么都学不到
because if it’s gonna be like this, l ain’t learning nothing.
姑娘, 你的英语真是遭透了
Girl, your English is fucking atrocious.
帕斯琳‧霍米尼, 坐好了
Purslane Hominy, sit up.
我为什么不能躺在床上读书?
Why can’t l study in bed?
太热了 这张椅子太不舒服了
it’s so hot, and this chair is so uncomfortable.
它不应该舒服 那会使你昏昏欲睡 坐好了
it is not supposed to be comfortable. It’ll put your brain to sleep. Sit up.
– 真是个坏习惯 – 你跟我谈坏习惯?
-it’s just bad habits. -You’re talking to me about bad habits?
别和老师胡搅蛮缠, 好吗?
Don’t fuck with the Teacher, okay?
告诉我内布拉斯加在美国文学上的地位
Just tell me what is Nebraska’s role in American Literature? Go.
-我不是应该学学首都什么的吗? -胡说, 你要学重要的东西
-Shouldn’t l be learning the state capitals? -Bullshit. You’ll learn what matters.
别再延宕了!
Don’t procrastinate.
盐荡?盐巴要用什么来荡啊?
By whatever do you mean, l don’t have a card for procrastinate.
你真是不可救药
You are just incorrigible.
“延宕者….
“Procrastinate.
“以可悲之步调蠕行…
“To drag one’s ass in such a pathetic manner…
“乃至… 注定窝囊终身也。”
“as to ensure one’s place in life as a loser.”
嘿, 谁是窝囊癈?
Hey, who are you calling a loser?
– 操 – 开始
-Fuck. -Go.
好吧, 内布拉斯加
All right, Nebraska.
我们首批女性作家之一 乌伊拉‧西泽的家乡
Home state of Willa Cather, one of our first successful female authors.
我是不是该东移到密苏里 马克‧吐温在那里出生…
Or should l move east to Missouri, where Mark Twain…
他又名撒缪尔‧克莱门斯 还是往南到堪萨斯州…
alias Samuel Clemens, was born, or down south to Kansas…
威廉‧勃若斯 在那里渡过他的晚年生活
where William Burroughs spent his last years?
– 住手! – 嘿…
-Stop! -Hey, man…
天主教学校应该不会教这个
l don’t think they’ll teach Burroughs at Catholic school.
嗯, 他们应该教的
Well, they ought to.
怎么不给你的老哥们倒一杯?
Why don’t you pour your old buddy a drink?
-我们没果汁了 -嗯, 那杯子里的是什么?
-We’re out of juice. -Well, what’s in that glass?
没有味道
it doesn’t have a smell.
该死 那就倒些伏特加进去
Well, God damn it, pour some vodka in it then.
– 来吧 – 我们该戒酒了
-Go ahead. -We gotta quit.
我答应过珀熙,只要她读书,我就… 看看我们,两个废人!
l promised Pursey if she’d study. l mean, look at us. We’re worthless.
你什么时候戒的?
And when was that, that you quit?
19个小时之前, 我们在考试的时候
Nineteen hours ago, when we were quizzing.
– 你睡过觉吗? – 没有
-Did you get some sleep? -No.
对她、对我们来说,都不急…
There’s no rush for her or for us…
你要戒的话,慢慢来吧!
so if you want to quit, take it slow.
信我一回
Now, trust me on this.
无酒气者,无才气也!
Take away the bottle, take away the genie.
嘿, 你在这干什么?
Hey, what are you doing here?
我只是想让劳森休息一会儿
l just thought I’d give Lawson a break.
让他在卧室睡一下 来吧, 坐
Let him use the bedroom. Come on, sit down.
你今天看起来非常漂亮, 帕斯琳
You look very pretty today, Purslane.
只有外婆那样叫我,不过,谢谢你
No one calls me that but my dead grandmother, but thanks.
你记得怎么去吗?
Now, you remember how to get there?
我知道位置,应该找得到
l know where it is all right, so l guess l should be going.
紧张吗?
You nervous?

No.
是的
Yeah.
要我和你一起乘电车吗?
Want me to take the streetcar with you?
不, 我一个人可以
No, I’ll be okay.
好吧, 我知道你行的
Well, l know you’ll just do fine.
你从学校回来的时候,我们会在这里…
And we’ll be right here when you get back from school…
帮助你做功课
to help you with your homework.
天啊, 你真能掰
Christ, you’re really living in some parallel universe.
把我和「功课」扯到一块儿了
Me and “homework” in the same sentence.
你快要跟「迟到」扯到一块儿了, 所以….
it’s about to become you and “tardy” in the same sentence, so….
你想她会直接回家吗?
Think she’ll come right home?
直接回来,找她妙趣无穷的中年室友….
Where else would a teenage girl go but straight home…
除此而外,一个小女孩还能去哪儿?
to her endlessly entertaining middle-aged roommates?
她可不是省油的灯,用那种噪音折磨我
She’s no picnic. Tortures me with that noise.
那孩子应该知道,真正值得听的音乐,来自黑胶唱片
That child should know anything worth listening to is on vinyl.
我的孩子们就知道这点
My kids knew it.
我教的,我是他们的爸爸
l taught them. l was their father.
你仍然是的
You still are.
当你完成那本书的时候,他们就会明白了
One day they’ll understand, when you finish that book.
我的孩子们甚至都不认识我
My kids don’t even know me.
靠, 我们就不能做点别的事情?
Shit, can we do anything besides this?
– 比如什么? – 我也他妈的不知道
-Like what? -Fuck if l know.
– 我们可以去钓鱼 – 你不会钓鱼
-We could go fishing. -You don’t fish.
或许我应该开始…
Maybe l should start…
做点什么
something.
或许你应该开始那本书的工作
Maybe you should start working on your damn book.
我还不知道故事的结局呢
l don’t know the end of the story yet.
将军 我们走吧,我要闷死了!

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!