and playing ball, and swimming, and beating off.
但除了这些单纯童年的活动外…
But in addition to these activities of an innocent childhood…
还说了许多…
mine included a lot of talk…
那无从捉摸的 “pussy” (与珀熙谐音, 本意为女人私处)
about this wonderfully elusive something called pussy.
我不知道那是什么
l wasn’t sure exactly what it was…
但我知道它很神奇、很特别,因为人们谈论它的方式
but l knew it was magical and very special because of the way it was spoken about.
一直都是窃窃私语
Always in a whisper.
我也在心中反复说着这个词”pussy”
I’d go through the fields saying it to myself: “Pussy.”
一天, 我们都…
One day, we was all…
在外面玩
playing ball out in a broom sage field.
Leroy Tuberville 骑车过来
And up rode Leroy Tuberville.
Leroy是个强壮的少年犯, 12岁
Now, Leroy was an upstanding delinquent. Twelve.
他的肩膀非常宽阔 他的手指留着烟草的痕迹
And his shoulders were already broad, and his fingers were stained with tobacco.
然后Leroy, 他不经意的停在了三垒的位置 随后他把手伸进他的口袋…
And Leroy, he parked himself casually by third base, and he went in his pocket…
他掏出了某样东西 他开始把它往空中高高扔起, 就像这样
and he pulled out something. He started throwing it high in the air like that.
我看着他耍酷…
And l watched him play it cool…
他神秘的宝石上上下下
his mysterious jewel going up and down.
我再也忍♥不住了 我一定要问一问
l couldn’t take it any longer. l had to ask.
“那个是什么, Leroy?”
“What’s that you got there, Leroy?”
然后每个人都鸦雀无声
And everyone fell silent.
Leroy 看着我 令人作呕的咧嘴笑着…
And Leroy looked at me with that nasty sideways grin…
他说 “这是一个pussy, 朗, 我自己的”
and he said, “it’s a piece of pussy, Long. My very own.”
我的脸开始发烫 我的心跳加速
My face got hot, my breath quickened.
他在那里, 将那完美的东西 扔到空中
There he was, with this perfect piece of girl, tossing her up in the air.
我看着, 知道自己第一次见到了上帝
And l watched, knowing that l had seen God for the first time.
我渴望她就是我自己的
And l wanted her for my very own.
但Leroy 从齿间亮出他的宝贝…
But old Leroy popped his treasure between his teeth…
跳上他的自行车,咧嘴对着我笑 然后骑走了
jumped on his bike grinning at me, and rode off…
把我们留在一片尘土和渴望之中
leaving us in a cloud of dust and desire.
那是在折磨人的朦胧期 10岁的时候…
And it was in that tormented haze, at the age of 10…
当我把我余下的生命都致力于…
when l dedicated the rest of my life…
找寻我自己的一丝爱情和奇迹
to finding my very own tiny piece of love and wonder…
让我可以永远带在身上
that l could carry with me for eternity.
好吧, 够了 我要回家了
All right, that’s it. I’m going home.
回佛罗里达?
To Florida?
当心点
Now, look, be careful.
我们不能撕下生活中的任何一页…
“We cannot tear out a single page of our lives…
“但我们可以把整本书都仍进火堆里”
“but we can throw the whole book in the fire.”
乔治‧桑德
George Sand.
我以为那会很难的
l thought that would be a hard one.
我觉得对她撒谎不太好
l don’t feel right about lying to her.
一个年轻的轻佻女子在这种地方还想得到什么?
What would a teenage hussy want with this place, anyway?
她自己说这里是个狗屎洞 她最好离开
Said herself it was a shithole. She’s better off.
此外, 当你卖♥♥那本书的时候 一切都将改变
Besides, when you sell that book, everything will change–
改变?
Change?
我们将去巴黎, 喝着 ’61 Latour
We’ll go to Paris, drink ’61 Latour…
写些烂诗 一切都会很完美
write bad poetry. Yes, everything will be just perfect.
“我们只会死一次,却要死那么久”
“We die only once, and for such a long time.”
莫里哀
Molière.
她来了, 亲爱的
She’s here, honey.
我这次会好好照顾她
I’ll take better care of her this time.
明天见, 亲爱的
See you tomorrow, darling.
以前你妈妈常来这儿
Your mama used to come here a lot.
你为什么一直说她的事?
Why do you talk about her so much?
我想是因为我想念她
Because l miss her, l guess.
你爱恋她还是怎么了?
Were you in love with her or something?
我们都爱她
We all loved her.
– 她知道怎样关心人, 你知道吗? – 不, 不了解
-She knew how to reach people, you know? -No, not really.
我外婆过世的前一夜…
The night before my grandma died…
她告诉我萝瑞一直都很自私
she warned me that Lorraine would always be selfish.
她最后还说了我爸爸的事
She finally told me about my father.
她真的说了?
She did, did she?
在孟菲斯的一个萨克斯风乐手
Some sax player in Memphis.
大概是一♥夜♥情♥
Pretty much a one-night stand.
我想外婆是想让我知道当她走了之后, 我将完全孤立无助
l think Gran wanted me to know that when she was gone, I’d be totally on my own.
她是对的…
She was right.
在她死后, 我几乎完全没有萝瑞的音讯
After she died, l hardly ever heard from Lorraine.
甚至也没机会听她唱歌♥
Never even got a chance to hear her sing.
你妈妈爱你, 你知道吗? 你就是她的全世界
Your mama loved you, you know? You meant the world to her.
她过去常坐在你现在坐的地方
She used to sit right where you’re sitting now.
总是在写东西
Always writing.
把这颗树叫作生命之树
Called this granddaddy the Tree of Life.
真俗
That’s so corny.
– 你找错用具了 – 什么?
-You’re in the wrong appliance. -What?
要自杀成功 你得到炉子里去
To succeed in killing oneself, one must be in the oven.
天啊, 姑娘 你还真会做东西
God damn, girl. You woke up productive.
– 过来看看珀熙都做了些什么 -天啊! 别再大喊大叫了
-Come see what Pursey did. -Christ. Stop yelling.
我看到了她还没有做的: 离开
l see what she didn’t do: leave.
她不会离开的
She ain’t gonna leave.
你这身打扮真不错
That’s a really good look for you, too.
你们也早上好
Good morning to y’all, too.
我听说你不上学 什么, 你跳级?
No school, l hear. What, you skip a grade?
几年而已, 10年级, 11年级, 12年级 你介意吗?
A few. The 10th, 11th, and 1 2th. Do you mind?
天啊, 我们竟和一个辍学生住在同一屋檐下
God, we are living under the same roof as a goddamn dropout.
嘲笑别人是要付出代价的 至少我可以养活自己
it takes one to mock one. At least l can support myself.
听着, 只要你不在这里懒散地打发时间…
Look, as long as you’re not lazing around here…
使劳森不能集中注意力 我不介意你做什么
making Lawson lose his concentration, l do not care what you do.
你有工作要做
You got work to do.
你一定要那样无情地对待她吗?
Do you have to go after her like that, relentlessly?
你想要她粘在这里吗? 那就是你想要的吗?
Do you want her to stick around? ls that what you want?
你有没有想过如果我们帮帮她 她或许就会离开?
Has it ever occurred to you that if we help her get on her feet, she might move on?
怎么帮她?
How help her?
你想帮她脱了那紧紧的小短裤 那就是你想做的
You want to help her out of them tight little pants. That’s what you want.
– 别放在心上, 伙计, 好吗? – 我没放在心上
-Forget it, man, all right? -Forgotten.
新奥尔良的夏天 沉寂在粘稠和潮湿之中
A New Orleans summer drowns in thick, dank stillness.
来吧, 伙计, 玩果子酒
Come on, man, let’s play gin.
-你难道没看见我们在这里做事? – 去死吧
-Can’t you see us doing something here? -To hell with you.
萝瑞的房♥子每天都在收缩 墙变得越来越紧凑
Lorraine’s house shrank with each passing day, straining uneasy walls closer.
把那音乐关了, 姑娘! 你难道没看见他正在工作吗?
Turn that music off, girl! Can’t you see he’s working?
天啊
Jesus H. Christ.
你要在这里坐多久 想抽光我们的买♥♥烟钱?
How long you gonna sit around here smoking up our cigarette money?
劳森说他不介意
Lawson said he didn’t mind.
劳森的香烟是红色的, 我的是绿色的
Lawson’s cigarettes are red. Mine are green.
你不可以抽绿色的 鲍比的
You may not smoke green. Bobby’s.
你在喝什么鸟玩样儿? 天啊, 真臭
What is that shit you are drinking? God, it reeks.
这是啤酒西红柿汁
This is beer and tomato juice.
一流的早餐
Breakfast of champions.
一流的傻瓜, 或许
Champion fuckup, maybe.
你知道, 姑娘 我已经受够了你那恶劣的态度
You know, girl, l have had just about enough of your bad attitude.
不管你喜不喜欢 我是这房♥子里的长者…
Whether you like it or not, l am the senior male in this house…
你应该尊重我!
and you will respect me!
看在萝瑞的情份上 我们对你已经很容忍♥了…
We have been very patient out of respect for Lorraine…
但你不能继续在这闲混…
but you will not continue to lay around here…
靠我们的慷慨过活
and play parasite to our generosity.
现在, 你必须工作 就好像你要活100岁…
Now, you must work as if you’re gonna live 100 years…
并且像明天就要死了那样祈祷
and pray as if you’re gonna die tomorrow.
– 你说什么? – 弗兰克林说的
-What did you say? -Ben Franklin said it.
他一定是想表达些什么意思
it probably meant something coming from him.
你知道 我一直在找工作
You know damn well I’ve been looking for a job.
天啊, 你在做什么? 除了到处放屁 说你过去有多么聪明
God, what do you do? Except shit around and talk about how smart you used to be.
我是教授, 我是吟游诗人, 一个诗人
l am a professor. l am a troubadour. A poet.
我们怎样生活 不关你的鸟事
And it’s none of your damn business how we live.
– 你要对你的那份负责 – 我的那份?
-You are responsible for your share. -My share?
你已经免费住在我的房♥子了
You already live in my house for free.
– 天啊, 你应该很感激 – 这是我们的房♥子!
-God, you should be grateful– -This is our house!
或许你希望我带朋友回家 赚点钱
Maybe you’d rather l earn money bringing friends home.
萝瑞不是那样做的吗? 大多数伪君子做的那样
Didn’t Lorraine have to do that for a while? Most junkies do.
该死!
God damn it!
你对死者没有一点尊重吗?
Have you no respect for the dead?
那是你妈妈, 珀熙
That was your mother, Pursey.
此外…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!