很久很久以前
A very long time ago…
在一块名叫印度的神秘土地
…there lived a beautiful princess, in a mystical land known as…
住着一位美丽的公主
…India.
她嫁给了英俊的王子拉玛
She was married to the handsome Prince Rama…
王子被恶毒的继母凯伊皇后
…who had been banished to the enchanted forest…
流放到这座森林里来
…by his jealous stepmother, Queen Kaikeyi.
一天
One day…
西塔公主在森林里看见一只受伤的小鹿
…Princess Sita saw a wounded deer in the woods…
她肯求拉玛王子去救它
…and she begged Rama to go and help it.
王子在地上画了个圈 对公主说
Rama drew a circle in the ground and said to her:
这是一个魔法圈
“This is a magic circle.
只要你不离开它
So long as you stay inside it…
恶魔就不能伤害你
…no harm can come to you.”
那天晚上 公主听见一个声音
That night, the princess heard a horrible cry.
救救我
Help me.
她以为是心爱的拉玛王子有危险
Thinking it was her beloved Rama in danger…
于是跑出圈循着声音跑去
…the princess ran from the circle to answer the cry.
不久遇见了一位年迈的乞丐
She soon came across an old beggar man.
尽管身无分文
Although she had no money to give him…
公主不忍♥心拒绝老人的哀求
…she could not refuse his plea.
就把自己的手镯给了他
As soon as he had the bracelet…
就在这时乞丐变成了十头怪兽 拉瓦纳
…he transformed into the 10-headed demon, Ravana.
怪兽抢走了公主把她带进魔宫
He grabs the princess and takes her to his palace…
强迫西塔作它的新娘
…where he attempts to make her his bride.
印度西姆拉 1914年
你见过真正的王子吗 玛亚
Did you ever know a real prince, Maya?
见过 拉其的父亲
Yes, Laki’s father.
-他不是个军人吗 -不错
-I thought he was in the army. -He was.
他是我的王子
And he was my prince.
我是他的公主
And I, his princess.
我说的是真正的王子和公主
But I mean real princes and princesses.
所有女人都是公主
All the women are princesses.
这是我们的权力
It is our right.
我会怀念这里
I shall miss it here.
印度是唯一能激起幻想的地方
India is the only place on earth that stirs the imagination.
真希望我们能永远在这里
I wish we could stay here forever.
我知道 亲爱的 但英格兰正在打仗
I know, sweetheart. But now that England comes to war…
我必须参加战役 这你能理解 对吗
…I must go too. You understand that, don’t you?
可我为什么非得去美国
But why must I go to America?
因为那里安全
Because it’s safer.
你将要进
And besides, you’ll be going to the same school
你母亲上过的学校
your mother went to when she was your age…
-那城市叫 -纽约
– …in a city called? -New York.
爸爸
Papa?
玛亚说所有的女孩都是公主
Maya told me that all girls are princesses.
玛亚是个非常聪明的女人
Maya is a very wise woman.
那是真的了
Then it’s true?
只要你相信 就能成为你希望的任何人
You can be anything you want to be, my lover, as long as you believe.
-那你相信什么 -我相信你是
-What do you believe? -I believe that you are…
永远是我的小公主
…and always will be, my little princess.
婚礼那天 我把这个送给了你母亲
I gave this to your mother on our wedding day.
现在我把它送给你
I want you to have it.
她太美了
She was so beautiful.
你最爱她什么
What did you love most about her?
很难回答
Tough question.
她笑的时候 我爱她欢笑的眼睛
I loved the way her eyes lit up when she laughed.
你太像她了
Just like yours do.
她唱印度民谣时 我爱她美妙的歌♥声
I loved the sound of her voice when she sang me the Indian folksong.
但我想 我最爱的
But I think, more than anything else…
是和她一起跳舞
…I loved dancing with her!
米切思女子学校 建于1856年
你好
Hello!
你一定是克鲁上尉
You must be Captain Crewe.
我姐姐马上就下来
My sister will be down presently.
我们正在为小姐准备房♥问
We were just preparing the young lady’s room.
你漂亮的行李今早已经运到了
Your beautiful things arrived this morning.
谢谢 怎么称呼
Thank you, er…?
天哪 爱米丽亚·米切思
Heavens, Amelia. Amelia Minchin.
克鲁上尉
Captain Crewe.
见到你们真高兴
How delightful to meet you!
这一定是小莎拉
And this must be little Sara.
多可爱的孩子
My, what a beautiful child.
我正在跟上尉说
I was telling the Captain…
谢谢 爱米丽亚 没你的事了
Thank you, Amelia, that’ll be all.
请跟我来
Now, won’t you both follow me?
八点钟开始上课
Classes begin promptly at 8:00.
这里教授所有课程 文学 数学 科学
We cover all subjects: literature, math, science…
当然还有法语和拉丁语
…and of course, both French and Latin.
莎拉会说流利的
Oh, Sara speaks fluent…
午餐一点半 然后是例行的散步
Luncheon is served at 1:30. After we take our daily walk…
除非天气异常恶劣
…unless the weather is extremely inclement.
四点是礼仪课
At 4:00, the girls attend etiquette classes…
孩子们可以学到高雅的举止
…where they’re trained in the formal graces of society.
四点半到六点半在大教室学习 之后是晚餐
Study hall is between 4:30 and 6:30, followed by a light supper.
就寝前 我们阅读名著
Before then bedtime, we read from one of the classics…
这是孩子们最乐意参加的
…something the children look forward to be great attanding anticipation.
星期天休息
Sunday is a day of rest.
学生们可以写信 不过只能写给自己的父母
Students may write only to their parents.
当然 我们也要去教堂 您还有什么问题吗
And of course, we attend church. Have you any questions?
过来 亲爱的
Come along, dear.
我吃 你吃
Je mange, tu manges
打扰一下 杜弗吉先生
Excusez-moi, monsieur Dufarge
姑娘们
Girls.
向新同学莎拉·克鲁小姐问好
I would like you to say hello to our new arrival…Miss Sara Crewe.
你好 莎拉
Hello, Sara.
把你在印度的生活告诉她们
You must tell them all about your exciting life in India.
她很快会成为最受欢迎的学生
No doubt she’ll be our most popular student in no time.
还有些规则要对你说清楚
Now, there are certain rules that should be made quite clear.
首先是秩序
The first is the Order Rule…
孩子们必须保持房♥间整洁
…which requires the girls keep their rooms spotless.
这些规则必须严格遵守
These rules are strictly enforced.
我向你保证 克鲁上尉 这是卓有成效的
But I assure you, Captain Crewe, the results are well worth the effort.
我们的宗旨是培养出最优雅
Our reputation for sending the most poised…
高贵的小姐进入社交界
…and charming young ladies into society is one of the highest.
毫无疑问
I’ve no doubt.
在这里不许佩戴珠宝手饰
Also, I’m afraid jewelry and such finery are not allowed.
休息时在自己的房♥间里呢
What if I wear it in my room, during my free time?
如果你一定坚持的话
Well, if you absolutely insist.
我坚持
I do.
她会惹麻烦
She’s gona get so much trouble.
先生
Monsieur.
-我吃 -我吃
-je mange -je mange
-你吃 -你吃
-tu manges -tu manges
这里真不错
This is splendid.
这是我们最大的套房♥
It’s our largest suite.
感谢你所做的一切 米切思小姐
Thank you for all the care you’ve taken, Miss Minchin.
希望我走后莎拉在这里能像在家一样
I want Sara to feel as much as possible at home while I’m away.
-请不必在乎费用 -当然
-No expense shall be spared. -Of course not.
我该让你们互相道别了
Now I’ll let you two say goodbye.
您出发的时间快到了
I konw you don’t have much time before your boat leaves.
我们每天写一封信
We’ll write to each other every day.
喜欢你的房♥间吗
How do you like your room?
我想它是最好的 有朝街的窗户和壁炉
I made sure it was the best, with corner windows and a fireplace.
你的玩具和衣服都在这里
And with all your toys and clothes moved in…
就像在家里
…it’s as if you were really…
我看见了一样东西
I think I saw something…
就在那里
…on that chair over there.
她是专程从法国来陪伴你的
She came all the way from France juse to be with you.
她叫爱米丽
Her name is Emily.
爱米丽
Emily.
洋娃娃是女孩子最好的朋友
You know dolls make the very best friends.