晚期四重奏
贝多芬
C小调弦乐四重奏
作品131
现在和过去
“Time present and time past
都是未来的现在
Are both perhaps present in time future,
而未来又属于过去
And time future contained in time past.
若时间为永恒
If all time is eternally present
则其无法挽回
All time is unredeemable.
或说结束先于开始
Or say that the end precedes the beginning,
而二者永远不变
And the end and the beginning were always there
在开始之前 结束之后
Before the beginning and after the end.
因而万物永存于现在
And all is always now.”
托马斯·斯特恩斯·艾略特 诗人 诺贝尔文学奖得主
这是艾略特对贝多芬晚期四重奏的感受
That’s T.S. Ellot, his take on Beethoven’s late quartets.
今天 我们揣摩一下艾略特的意思
Today, we think about what Ellot might have meant.
从贝多芬131号♥曲开始吧
We begin with Beethoven’s Opus 131,
据说这也是他的最爱
said to be his personal favorite.
它有7个乐章 而当时的标准是4个
It has seven movements, at a time when the standard was four.
它们紧密相连
And they’re all connected.
演奏时不可以在乐章之间暂停
You’re not allowed to stop between movements.
不可以休息 不可以调音
No resting, no tuning.
贝多芬坚持要一气呵成地演奏
Beethoven insisted it be played attacca, without pause.
或许他是想从无序的生活片段中
Was he maybe trying to point out some cohesion, some unity between
抱歉
Excuse me.
找到一些和谐一致
the random acts of life?
也或许是耳聋 孤独 和逼近的死亡
Or being deaf, alone, and sensing the end,
让他感觉没有时间去停顿甚至呼吸
he might have felt he had no time, to pause, to take a breath.
对我们而言 长时间不停顿的演奏
For us, it means that playing for so long without pause,
必然让我们的乐器
our instruments must in time go out of tune,
不同程度地走调
each in its own quite different way.
那很糟糕
It’s a mess.
我们该怎么办 停止吗
What are we supposed to do, stop?
或者就算大家不在一个调上
Or, struggle, to continuously adjust to each other up to the end,
还是将就着演奏到最后
even if we are out of tune?
我不知道
I don’t know.
我们试试吧
Let’s find out.
还真快
That was quick.
好的 稍等下
All right, hold on a sec.
2号♥和4号♥在香港
Hong Kong on the second and fourth.
13号♥在上海
Shanghai on the 13th.
让我先和大家再确认一下
Let me double-check with everybody first.
我想敬一杯酒
Toast, if I may.
假期里 我很想大家
I’ve missed you this pre-season break.
去年大家都很不容易
The past year has been difficult, as you know.
米莉亚在的话也会想和我们一起庆祝的
Miriam would have been here with us today, celebrating
彼得 她一直都在
Peter, she’s always here.
三周后 就是她的周年祭了
It’s a year in three weeks.
是音乐 是四重奏团
But the music, the quartet,
还有大家 使我走出了阴霾
us together have gotten me through it,
我想感谢大家 并祝我们
and I need to thank you and tip a glass to our
25周年快乐
Can it be 25 seasons together?
-敬赋格乐团 -敬乐团
– To the Fugue. – To the Fugue.
敬乐团
The Fugue.
亚历山德拉说你的课棒极了
Alexandra tells me your class really rocks.
是吗 你什么时候和她聊过
Really? When did you speak with her?
今天下午
This afternoon.
她拉得很好 很有水准
She’s very good. Advanced, quick.
-你应该感到高兴 -那可是我女儿
– You should be pleased. – That’s my girl.
可她不怎么为我们演奏
She really hardly ever plays for us anymore.
全球最著名的音乐学院之一
希望她从柯蒂斯毕业了能有所改变
Let’s hope she does now that she’s back from Curtis.
但要成为第一小提琴手
But to be first violin
她需要专人精心指导
she needs particular, careful coaching.
事实上 丹尼尔 你能否给她上课呢
In fact, Daniel, I wonder if you’d give her a lesson.
向她讲讲你的想法 鼓励一下她
Tell her what you think, encourage.
我愿意 只要你愿意
I’ll give her a lesson. If you want to.
那真是太好了
Sure, that’d be great.
-开始吗 -开始吧
– Shall we? – All right, yes.
准备
Ready?
也许 今年我们应该试试
You know, maybe this is the season
脱离乐谱 用心来演奏贝多芬
we play the Beethoven cycle… by heart.
-我一直想尝试一下 -哗众取宠而已
– I’ve always liked that idea. – I still think it’s a gimmick.
我觉得摆脱这些没完没了的标记来演奏
I think playing the cycle without these endless markings
是种激动人心的可贵冒险
would be exciting and a worthwhile risk.
冒险
A risk?
没错
A risk.
你以为我们在卖♥♥彩票吗 罗伯特
We’re in the casino business now, Robert?
这些标记是重重思考的结晶
These, these markings represent layers of thought.
我比较同意丹尼尔
I tend to agree with Daniel.
看来保守派赢了
Tie goes to the conservatives, I guess.
颤音没有合拍
Our vibrato doesn’t match.
我肯定还还没从假期缓过来
I must be on vacation time still.
-从头再来一遍吧 -好的
– From the top, once more please. – OK.
-从朱丽叶的部分开始 -好的
– Let’s do it from, from Juliette. – Sure.
-抱歉 我走神了 -是大提琴的问题
– I’m sorry, my mind’s wandering. – It’s the cello.
抱歉 伙计们 我不在状态
Sorry, guys. I’m not myself.
我需要用一两天找回手感
Maybe a day or two, get my hands back.
-没问题 -当然
– That’s all right. – Sure.
重新安排时间吧
Let’s reschedule?
-安排吧 -下周二
– Reschedule. – Next Tuesday.
你还好吧 彼得
You all right, Peter?
没问题 只是感觉有点怪
Sure. It’s just… strange.
像这样伸出你的手
Put your hands out like this.
好的 握紧右拳 然后打开
OK. Now close the right fist, and open it.
握左拳 打开
Left fist. Open it.
现在快速做一遍
Now do it fast.
打开 握紧 打开 握紧
Open, shut. Open, shut.
好的
All right.
现在 站起来
OK. Now, just stand.
走到房♥间那边
Now walk to the end of the room,
门那边 然后向着我走回来
to the door, and then walk back, naturally, towards me.
好的
Ok.
我们需要一份血液样本
OK. I think we should get a blood sample,
然后安排核磁共振检查
and arrange for a MRI.
一周后检查结果都出来时再见吧
Why don’t we meet in a week when we should have all the results?
核磁共振 你是不是瞒着我什么
MRI? Is there something I should know.
还是先做测试再说吧
I think we should run the test first.
告诉我你的诊断吧 就算你不确定也行
You could tell me what you think, even if you’re not certain.
没事的 都认识这么久了
It’s OK. We’ve known each other a long time.
如何
Well?
基于刚才的测试结果
Well, based on the examination that we just ran,
以及你对自己症状的描述
and the complaints you’ve described to me,
我的个人诊断是
it’s my opinion that you are
你有帕金森综合症的早期症状
experiencing the early symptoms of Parkinson’s.
这 你说
Well, you know
凭刚才的小测试 你就能确诊了吗
From this, from what we just did, you can tell that?
-是的 -帕金森症
– Yes. – Parkinson’s?
恐怕就是这样
I’m afraid I can.
但我们还需要验血 做核磁共振检查
But we should still run the blood test and have the MRI,
排除其它负面可能性
just to rule out any more adverse possibilities.
闻闻这香味
The aroma
起床啦
Wake up.
有好事等着呢
I’ll make it worth your while.
来点蹩脚法式风情怎么样
What about if I talked in a really bad French accent?
好吗 好吗[法语]
Oui oui?
-别 我不想 -亲爱的
– Please, I’m not… – Lover?
罗伯特 罗伯特 拜托 真的 我不想
Robert. Robert, please. I’m really… I’m not
我没心情
I’m really not in the mood.
好 这是个慢板乐章 没错吧
OK. It’s an adagio, right?
拉慢一点
Slower, please.
弓和♥弦♥分分合合
The bow goes into the string and out.
你必须体会那种一张一弛的感觉
You have to feel the resistance, then the release afterwards.