and excuse you…
请您…
Don’t worry about it. Everything’s under control.
别担心 一切都在掌控之中
And excuse you to your deliberations.
请您进行评议
Thank you.
谢谢
I’ve never done this.
我从没这么干过
In 45 years of practicing law,
执业四十五年
I’ve never waited in a corridor for a jury.
从没在走廊上等陪审团的决定
I always do.
我常这么干
I can tell. Y… you’re good at it.
我能看出来 你… 你对这个很在行
You seem so at peace doing it.
你看起来很冷静
So what do you think?
那么你觉得?
I… is it good they’re staying out this long or is it bad?
那… 他们在里边呆这么久是好还是坏?
For who?
对谁而言?
For me, of course.
当然是我啦
You can never tell, can you?
你判断不出来 是吧?
I mean, it could mean anything.
一切皆有可能
It could mean jury duty is more fun than working at the post office.
说不定是因为当陪审员比在邮局有趣多了
It’s bad for both of you.
对你俩都不利
You think?
你觉得?
Okay. Here’s my take on it.
好 该我猜了
Guilty.
有罪
Not guilty.
无罪
That’s what they’re gonna say.
他们会这么说
And it’s not gonna have anything to do with dates…
不会有什么具体日期…
or groundwater measurements or any of that crap,
或者地下水测量之类乱七八糟的东西
which nobody can understand anyway.
何况大家都不懂
It’s gonna come down to people, like it always does.
就像任何案件一样 最终还是有关于人
You found someone who saw him dumping stuff, you see.
你找到了看到他那方排放废弃物的证人
You didn’t find anyone who saw me. No.
你没找到看到我的人 没有
– What’s your take? – They’ll see the truth.
– 你猜呢? – 他们会发现真♥相♥
The truth? Oh.
真♥相♥? 哦
I thought we were talking about a court of law.
我以为我们在讨论法律问题呢
Come on, you’ve been around long enough to know…
得了吧 你也混了很多年了 早该知道…
that a courtroom isn’t a place to look for the truth.
法庭不是个寻找真♥相♥的地方
You’re lucky to find anything here…
在这里能找到任何与事实接近的结果…
that in any way resembles the truth.
你就算幸运的了
Oh.

You disagree?
你不同意?
Since when?
什么时候开始的?
Eight kids are dead, Jerry.
Jerry 八个孩子死了
Jan.
Jan啊
Jan, that suit fits you better than the sentimentality.
Jan啊 你是个律师 多愁善感不适合你
That’s not how you made all that money all these years, is it?
这些年 你不是靠多愁善感赚钱的吧?
You want to know when this case stopped being about dead children?
这个案子从什么时候起 不再是关于死去的儿童的 想知道吗?
The minute you filed the complaint, the minute it entered the justice system.
就是你提交起诉状 案件进入司法系统的那一分钟
Oh, yes.
哦 是
Hey, I know, you like to gamble.
嘿 我知道你喜欢赌博
You’re a high-stakes gambler. That’s your profession.
你还是个高风险的赌徒 那是你的职业
Why don’t we test your born-again faith…
不如我们来一场高风险的赌博 就赌…
in the righteousness of our courts…
你这次重新相信法庭正义的…
with a high-stakes gamble?
这个信念 是对是错?
See?
看?
If that’s a settlement offer, Jerry, it’s not enough.
如果这是你庭外和解的价码 Jerry 还不够
– That’s not what I hear. – Well, I don’t know who you’ve been talking to.
– 我不是这么听说的 – 我可不知道给你消息的人可靠不可靠
The I.R.S. telling us they have a lien on any eventual settlement…
国税局说 为了收回250万美元未缴的税款
in order to recover over two and a half million dollars in unpaid taxes.
他们对我们最终和解的款项拥有留置权…
All right.
好吧
What if… I were to add six zeroes onto that?
如果… 我在后面加六个零?
That would be… what? Twenty million dollars.
它就会是… 多少? 两千万美元
Now…
现在…
that would put things in perspective for you…
不考虑什么真♥相♥ 正义 死去的小孩…
as far as truth and justice and, uh… and dead children go?
这个数字应该能让你正视当前的形势了吧?
If you want to talk seriously about a settlement offer,
如果你认真地想要达成和解
let’s get the decision makers together and talk seriously.
我们把决策人聚在一起 认真讨论
The decision makers are here, aren’t they?
决策人在这儿 不是吗?
I mean, you’re looking at Mr. Beatrice.
你面前的就是Beatrice先生
I don’t have to call anybody, do you?
我不用再经过别人同意了 你呢?
It’s just you and me.
只有你和我
We’re like kings.
我们像国王
We are kings.
我们是国王
Sitting in our castles deciding important things.
坐在城♥堡♥里决定重要的事情
Deciding the fates of others and counting money in our counting room.
决定他人的命运 在我们的房♥子里数钱
I’ll tell you what. I’ll leave this here.
我告诉你 我把这个提议留在这里
I’ll go back down the hall to my throne room,
我现在回自己的宫殿
and I’ll await your decision.
等你的选择
Yeah.

If you’re really looking for the truth, Jan,
Jan 如果你真的是在寻找真♥相♥
look for it where it is:
你知道它在哪吗
at the bottom of a bottomless pit.
在无底洞的底端
Okay.

Mr. Foreman, members of the jury,
陪审团主席 各位陪审员
have you reached a verdict?
做出裁定了吗?
Yes, Your Honor.
是的 法官大人
With respect to W.R. Grace,
关于W.R. Grace
the jury has answered yes to question one
第一题中有关其与三氯乙烯污染相关之事
regarding trichloroethylene contamination…
陪审团的回答是肯定的…
requiring that we proceed further in the case against Grace…
我们要求继续针对Grace的…
to a second stage of this trial.
第二阶段的审理
In regard to Beatrice,
关于Beatrice
the jury has answered no to question one…
第一题中有关其与污染相关之事…
in all its points pertaining to contamination,
陪审团的回答是否定的
which renders questions two and three inapplicable, ending the case against Beatrice.
因此无需回答问题二和问题三 终止针对Beatrice的审理
Mr. Facher, that means you’re excused.
Facher先生 没你的事儿了
Thank you, Your Honor.
谢谢 法官大人
We are, uh..
我们 呃…
we’re going to take a little break now.
现在先休息一下
A breather till the end of the month.
休息到本月月底
Once again, I remind you not to talk to anyone about your deliberations…
另外 提醒一下大家 不要和陪审团外的人交流
and thank you… for your service.
谢谢… 您履行陪审员义务
Disappointed? No, no, we’re not disappointed at all. This is a victory.
失望吗? 不 不 我们一点都不失望 这是一次胜利
This sends a clear message to these companies…
这向这些公♥司♥发出了一个明确的信♥号♥♥…
that they can no longer get away with this kind of thing.
他们再也不能逃避这些事情了
– So what now? – Right now I think we should celebrate, have some champagne.
– 那么现在呢? – 现在我们去庆祝一下 来点香槟
What do you think? Yes?
你觉得呢? 好吗?
So you intend to go forward with you claims against Grace?
那么你会继续诉Grace吗?
– Yes. – No matter how long it takes?
– 是 – 无论花多长时间?
Mm-hmm.

We have to get out of this case as fast as we can.
我们必须尽快摆脱这个案子
– That’s the only strategy we have left. – Sign here.
– 这是唯一一个办法了 – 在这儿签字
The good news is Grace wants to talk.
好消息是Grace想和解
They want us to come to New York and sit down…
他们希望我们去纽约…
with their Executive Vice President, Al Eustis.
和执行副董事长Al Eustis谈一下
So before we do that, we need to know what our squeal point is.
在去之前 我们得想想底线是多少钱
Eight million.
八百万
Eight million will just about get us out of hock.
八百万刚够我们摆脱困境
– Bill? – Whatever Gordon says. He knows the numbers.
– Bill呢? – Gordon说多少就多少 他知道具体数字
Jan?
Jan呢?
Jan, every dollar we spend is a dollar we don’t have.
Jan 我们花的钱 都是借的
We are floating on credit without a net.
我们现在是在走钢丝 还没带安全绳
Well, I don’t need a net. Mortgage my house.
我不需要安全绳 把我房♥子抵押了
I don’t care.
我不在乎
I have.
早抵押了
And Kevin’s and Bill’s and mine.
Kevin的 Bill的 还有我的房♥子
And I’ve cashed in our retirement plan and our life insurance policies,
我把我们的退休钱和人寿保险钱都换成现金了
and it’s gone.
都没了
All right, let me put it this way.
好吧 我这么说吧
If we can’t make it appear that we have money and we can go the distance,
如果我们不能装作能挺下来的样子
they’re not gonna give us eight million dollars.
他们不可能给我们八百万美元
They’re not gonna give us eight cents.
连八分钱都不可能
You know that. You all know that.
你知道的 你们都知道的

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!