for three generations.
已经传了三代
That land, to me, is hallowed ground.
这片地 对我 就是圣土
So when you ask me would I be upset…
所以你要问我 如果有人践踏这片土地…
if someone came onto that land and desecrated it…
这片我所爱的小镇的一部分…
Land that’s part of the town that I love…
我会不会气愤…
my answer to your question, Mr. Schlichtmann…
Schlichtmann先生 我的回答是…
is yes.
会的
I have no further questions, Your Honor.
我没有其他问题了 法官大人
The sad part of it is, they’re robbing themselves of the blessing of giving.
可悲的是 他们在妨碍自己 享受付出的幸福
I know y’all ain’t gonna believe this, but I got to share this with you.
我知道你们不会相信的 但是我还是要告诉你们
If somebody wrote a check tomorrow for the total budget of my church,
就算谁明天为教堂所有的债务买♥♥单
it wouldn’t affect my giving one penny.
我也不会吝啬我的支出
Ain’t nobody gonna rob me of the blessing I get from giving!
没有人能抢走我因付出所得到的幸福!
You know why a lot of folks ain’t getting?
知道为什么很多人得不到吗?
‘Cause they ain’t giving!
因为他们不付出!
Do not rob yourself of the blessing of giving.
不要夺走了自己付出的幸福
You’ll never guess what I did last night.
你绝对猜不到我昨晚做了什么
You’ll like this.
你会喜欢的
I pledged $200 to a tele-evangelist.
我给电视布道捐了200美元
I’m not kidding. He said, “Give and ye shall receive.”
没开玩笑 他说了 “付出才会有回报”
I called him right up.
我立刻就拨通了电♥话♥
I know, I know what you’re thinking.
我懂 我懂你在想什么
You’re thinking, “Gordon’s losing it.
你在想 “Gordon快不行了
He’s falling apart.
他精神崩溃了
He’s probably buying lottery tickets.”
他可能都买♥♥起彩票了”
I bought a few, I’ll admit it. I know.
我是买♥♥了一些 我承认 我知道的
But, seriously, the jackpot’s $45 million.
但是 说真的 奖池里可有4500万美元啊
That’s just this week. You should see the lines out there.
这还只是这周的 你真该看看那队伍都排成什么样了
– Is that a gun? – What?
– 那是枪嘛? – 什么?
This? No.
这个? 才不是
No, this is for you.
不是的 这是给你的
My Krugerrands. I’ve had them forever.
我的克鲁格金币 我存了很久了
I want you to have them.
我想全部给你
And… this is the deed to my house.
还有… 这是我房♥子的地契
And here is Conway’s and Crowley’s and Jan’s.
这些地契是Conway家的 Crowley家的还有Jan家的
See? I come bearing gifts.
瞅见没? 我是带着礼物过来的
We really need the money.
我们是真的很需要这笔钱
You can tell when your child isn’t feeling well.
你的孩子生病了 你能看出来的
“Has he got a temperature?” You say no.
他们问”他发烧吗?” 你说没有
“He’s all right then,” they say.
他们就说”那他就没事”
“Don’t worry. Bring him into the clinic Monday morning.”
“不用担心 周一早上带他来诊所吧”
– All right, finally the families. – He died Monday morning.
– 好了 终于到家庭了 – 他周一早上就死了
We’ll start with Jimmy Anderson. We count his trips to the hospital,
我们从Jimmy Anderson入手 计算他去的医院次数
the futile chemotherapy treatments.
那些没用化疗的次数
Then the other kids, one by one, ending with Gerald Aufiero,
然后其他孩子 一个一个问 最后一个是
dying in his father’s arms on the highway.
在高速上死在他爸爸怀里的Gerald Audiero
Will somebody get that?
谁接个电♥话♥行不?
Where is everybody?
其他人呢?
You’re just noticing now? Gordon laid everybody off two weeks ago.
你才注意到啊? Gordon两周前解雇了所有人
Gordon?
哎 Gordon?
Instead of sitting there reading a magazine,
你与其坐在那里看杂♥志♥
why don’t you go to Uncle Pete and get me a staff?
就不能去银行借点钱再帮我雇几个人啊?
That’s a good idea. Why didn’t I think of that?
主意不错啊 我怎么没想到呢?
Hello.

I was told there was a Cheeseman on the Mayflower.
我听说五月花那船上有个叫Cheeseman的人
– This way, Sir. – Thank you.
– 这边 先生 – 谢谢
Ah, Jan, have a seat.
啊 Jan 请坐
You want something to drink? Some coffee, soda?
要喝点什么不? 咖啡 汽水?
You’ve been talking without my being present?
我不在你们就开始了?
No, we have been drinking coffee without your being present.
没有 我们只是喝咖啡而已
Don’t be so paranoid. They were early.
不要这么多疑 他们只是来早了
All right. What’s up?
这样啊 那什么事?
Jerry?
Jerry啊?
Last night, I… I was at a ball game.
昨晚 我… 我在看棒球赛
It was the seventh inning stretch,
在第七局的时候
and I was standing there, and I don’t know why, but it occurred to me at that moment…
我站在那里 也不知道为什么 突然我就想到…
that unless you’ve proven that any, uh…
除非你能证明 嗯…
– what word should we use? Uh, chemicals? – Poisons.
– 这怎么说好呢? 嗯 化学品? – 有毒物质
All right. If you like that word, I’ll use it.
好吧 如果你喜欢这个词 那我就用它好了
Unless you’ve proven that any poisons actually reached the wells,
除非你能证明有毒物质实际上渗透到了井中
there’s no case.
否则案件就不成立
And, therefore, no need to make these families,
所以 何必再让那些
who’ve already suffered so much,
已经遭受很多痛苦的家庭
relive their suffering all over again…
出庭作证 再让他们…
by putting them on the stand.
经历一遍噩梦呢
– Your Honor, y… you’ve got… – That’s interesting.
– 法官大人 你… 你已经… – 有点意思
– What? – I think I’d have to agree with that.
– 什么? – 我觉得我同意他说的
Well, Your Honor…
那 法官大人…
Yes, if the jury decides favorably on the geological evidence,
如果根据这些地质证据 陪审团同意你的主张
yes, then you could bring your families in.
那你再让你那些家庭出庭作证
– Otherwise… – Your Honor, the jury came into this courtroom expecting a human drama.
– 不然的话… – 法官大人 陪审团期待在法庭上听到一个人性化的故事
– I don’t care what they were expecting. – Instead, for three months,
– 我不管他们期待什么 – 但过去三个月
we’ve been giving them lessons in geology.
我们一直在给他们上地理课
Now, we had to do that, but now it’s over, finally.
我们不得不这么做 但是现在终于结束了
– Now it’s time… – Now we have to see where we are before we can move on.
– 现在是时候… – 在继续推进前 我们要先总结当前的案情
And before we subject these families…
在我们传召这些家庭…
to more trauma than is necessary…
让他们遭受多余的精神痛苦之前…
Because that would just be cruel.
因为这太残忍♥了
– They… they want to testify. – Mr. Schlichtmann…
– 他们… 他们想出庭作证啊 – Schlichtmann先生…
– They need to testify! – The decision has been made.
– 他们需要出庭作证! – 我意已决
– Well, this is the defendant’s plan. – No, it’s my plan.
– 啊 这就是被告方的计划 – 不 这是我的计划
– This is Facher’s plan right from the beginning. – It’s my plan.
– 从一开始这就是Facher的计划 – 这是我的计划
– He told me. He threatened me. – It’s my plan!
– 他告诉过我 他威胁过我 – 这是我的计划!
Now…
如今…
my plan… is to present the jury…
我的计划… 是给陪审团提…
with some simple questions.
几个简单的问题
Indeed, how you answer these three questions…
事实上 你们如何回答这三个问题…
will determine whether or not this trial continues.
将会决定这场审讯是否继续进行
It’s not that I disagree with them. I don’t understand them.
我不是不同意 我只是看不懂
What don’t you understand? They’re straightforward questions.
你看不懂什么? 这么直接的问题
“Have the plaintiffs established by preponderance of evidence…
“原告是否通过优势证据证实
that chemicals containing TCE…
包括TCE在内的化学品…
were disposed of on the W.R. Grace and Beatrice-owned lands…
分别于196♥4♥年10月1日和和1968年8月27日之后…
after October 1, 196♥4♥,
被丢弃在W.R. Grace
and August 27, 1968, respectively,
和Beatrice所有的土地上
and did those chemicals contribute to the well water contamination?”
而这些化学品 是否污染了井水?”
These dates, for one thing. What… what are they?
第一 这些日期 是什… 什么?
Wh… where did they come from? From out of a hat?
它们从哪… 哪里来的? 凭空跳出来的?
Question two:
问题二
“What, according to a preponderance of the evidence,
“根据优势证据
was the earliest time… the month and year…
最早是什么时候… 这些化学品…
at which these chemicals substantially contributed…
实质上污染了这些井水
to the contamination of the wells?”
请说明年月?”
How can they determine that? Science can’t even determine…
他们怎么可能知道? 科学都无法确定…
when… when the chemicals arrived at the wells…
这些化学品… 渗透到井里的时间…
with the precision you’re asking of the jurors.
都达不到你问陪审团的这个具体程度
And, finally, three:
最后 第三个问题
“What, according to a preponderance of the evidence,
“根据优势证据
was the earliest time… again the month and year…
被告的过失行为最早在…
at which substantial contribution referred to in question two…
什么时候引起了问题二中提到的实质性污染…
was caused, if it was, by the negligent conduct of the defendants?”
请再次说明具体年月?”
What does that mean? It’s… It’s like English…
这是什么意思? 就像… 就像英语翻译成日语…
translated in Japanese back into English again.
又翻译回英语
– Mr. Schlichtmann, I’ve heard enough. – Your Honor, no one…
– Schlichtmann先生 我不想听你说了 – 法官大人 没人…
– can answer these questions. – I worked very hard on these questions.
– 能回答这些问题 – 这些问题是我精心设计的
You’re asking for answers that are unknowable.
你出的都是些无解的题
– I said I have heard enough. – You’re asking these people to create a fiction…
– 我不想听你说了 – 你让人们用想象…
– that will stand for the truth, but won’t be the truth. – Enough!
– 替代真♥相♥ 但那不是真♥相♥ – 够了!
Once again, I remind you…
重申一次 提醒一下各位…
not to discuss your views with any outside party…
不要和陪审团外的人讨论这个案件…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!