我们的律师费
as you know, as you agreed to, as is customary,
按照行业惯例
is 40 percent.
为40%
But Jan suggested, and we all agreed, to reduce that to 28 percent.
但是Jan建议 并且我们都同意 减少到28%
Or $2.2 million.
也就是二百二十万
Our expenses, what we actually paid out trying this case…
我们为这个案子的花费…
come to $3.5 million.
已经达到三百五十万
Now, subtracting that and the 28 percent in fees…
从Grace给的八百万中…
from the $8 million we got from Grace…
减去案件花费 还有28%的代理费…
and dividing it equally among you…
然后平均分配…
comes out to $375,000 per family.
每家可以得到三十七万五的补偿
And they’re gonna clean the place up?
他们会把这个地方清理干净吗?
No.
不会
Mmm-mmm.
嗯哼
When you first came out here Mr. Schlichtmann,
Schlichtmann先生 你第一次来这儿的时候
when we first spoke,
我们第一次谈话
I told you I wasn’t interested in money.
我说过我对钱没兴趣
– Here it comes. – What I wanted…
– 来了 – 我想要的是…
was an apology from someone for what they did to my son.
那些害死我儿子的人的道歉
And you said, “Money is the apology.
你说 “钱就是道歉
That’s how they apologize: with their checkbooks.”
他们就是用支票道歉的”
Would you call this an apology?
这能是道歉吗?
No.
不是
The only meaningful apology you’re going to get is from me.
你能得到的唯一有意义的道歉 只能是我给你
I’m sorry.
对不起
I’m afraid that isn’t meaningful.
不好意思 但你的道歉没有什么意义
Mrs. Anderson, you’re looking at four guys who are broke.
Anderson太太 你面前这四个人 都破产了
We lost everything trying this case.
为了这个案子 我们什么都失去了
How can you even begin to compare what you’ve lost to what we’ve lost.
你怎么敢 把你们的损失 和我们失去的做比较
Listen… the minute you put money on the table, things turn ugly.
听着… 你把钱一放到桌子上 事情就难看了
It happens every time. Forget about it.
每次都是这样 忘了吧
But she’s right.
但是她是对的
She’s not right.
她不对
Now, it’s cold, wet, we’re standing in a swamp. I want to go home.
这儿又冷又湿 我们站在沼泽里 我们回家吧
Somewhere out here somebody had to have seen what happened.
这里肯定有人 肯定看见了 这里发生的失去
You can’t do what Riley did without somebody seeing it.
Riley做的那种事情 不可能不被人看到
You’re talking about the case.
你在说这个案子
The case is over.
这个案子结束了
Jan…
Jan啊…
Yeah, I know. They’ve had it. They want out, right?
是 我知道 他们受够了 不想管了 是吧?
It’s time they went their separate way.
是分道扬镳的时候了
You know what I think of that? Fine. Let them.
你知道我怎么想吗? 让他们去吧
I can imagine worse things.
我可以想象糟糕的情况
Like what?
例如?
Well, so what if we have to start over? We did it once.
就算要重新开始 又怎么样? 我们做过一次
We can do it again. The two of us.
再来一次 就靠我们两个
Oh.

Oh, I see.
哦 我明白了
When you say it’s over,
当你说结束的时候
you mean it’s over.
你是说我们结束了
It’s time for me to go my separate way.
到我走自己的路的时候了
You always went your separate way, Jan.
Jan 你一直我行我素
Man!
伙计!
Your change.
你的零钱
Thank you.
谢谢
Man!
伙计!
This is how silicone is put on leather to waterproof it.
这就是怎么用硅树脂来给皮革防水
– It’s poured on, like you poured water on my table. – Yeah.
– 浇上去 就像在我的桌子上倒水 – 是
So then some of it must spill off the leather…
那么多余的硅树脂肯定会从皮革上流下来…
like the water spilling off my table.
就好像水从我的桌子上流下来
That’s the part I’m interested in:
我对这部分非常感兴趣
the spilled silicone and trichloroethylene, sir.
先生 溢出来的硅树脂和三氯乙烯
How you disposed of that.
你怎么处理它们的
He’s here to look at your records. His court order gives him that right.
他是来查阅记录的 他有法♥院♥的命令
I’m not going to give you trouble unless you give me trouble.
我不找你麻烦 只要你不找我麻烦
I didn’t call him. He just came.
我没叫他来 他自己来的
Just the kind of thing you’d do. You let him in the door.
你老是干这种事 为什么要让他进门呢
– Of course I let him in. – That’s bad enough. Man, I can’t believe this.
– 当然了 我让他进门了 – 真糟糕 天 不敢相信
Do you know how…
你知道有时候…
sometimes you can get so close to something that you lose sight of it?
人会因为太过接近某物 结果反而忽视了它?
I kept looking for someone who saw Riley…
我一直在找看到Riley…
dumping barrels of poison…
把桶里的毒物倒掉的人…
when what I should have been looking for is someone…
其实我该找的是…
who helped him clean it up.
帮他清理现场的人
Was there a personal reason why you rented two dump trucks and a front loader…
为什么在1981年10月 你租了…
back in October of ’81?
两台自卸卡车和一个装载机?
Or was this just part of your job at the tannery?
或者这是你制革工人的工作吗?
Mr. Granger?
Granger先生?
I don’t have to talk to you.
我可以不回答你
I can tell you to get off my property, and I would be within my rights.
我就算立刻让你滚出我家 那也是我的权利
Yes, you would.
是 你可以
In the fall of 1981…
1981年秋天…
Mr. Riley instructed me to rent a Michigan loader…
Riley先生让我租了一个密歇根装载机…
and two ten-wheel dump trucks.
和两个十轮的自卸卡车
– Did he tell you why? – Yes, he did.
– 他告诉你为什么了吗? – 是 他说了
All of it goes. Everything.
所有东西都清理掉
I don’t want to see anything but topsoil. All of it.
除了地上的土 我不想看见任何东西 任何东西
Did you think it was strange that after rotting out there…
你觉得奇怪吗 那些东西放在那里都…
for 20 or 30 years, he had to get rid of it now?
烂了二三十年了 他突然非要清理掉?
Take it anywhere. I don’t even want to know where you take it. Just take it.
拉哪儿都行 我不在乎你把它弄哪儿去 拉走就行
No, he told me why.
不 他告诉我原因了
Uh, city inspectors were coming in a couple days.
城市监测员过几天要来
He didn’t want them to see it.
他不想这些东西被发现
This went on for several nights.
我们工作了几个晚上
Fill the trucks, trucks drive off,
装车 然后拉走
trucks come back empty, fill them up again.
空车回来 拉满出去
– Last one. – On the last night…
– 最后一个 – 在最后一晚…
On the last night what?
最后一晚什么?
Are you sure you didn’t see some kids out there…
最后一晚 你确定没看到…
on that last night, lighting firecrackers, drinking beers?
一些小孩在那放鞭炮 喝啤酒?
– I got nothing to say to you. – It’d be hard to forget, you know.
– 我对你没什么说的 – 很难忘掉啊
It… apparently was quite a sight.
很明显… 那很容易看到的
Throw it. Go, go, go.
扔了 快快快
– Hey! – Watch out!
– 嘿! – 小心啊!
Hey, you’re on private property! Get outta here!
你们都走开! 这是私人领土!
– You little punks! – He’s talking about you.
– 小王八蛋! – 他说你呢
Hey, you know what, Mister? I’m sorry. Look.
嘿 你知道吗 先生? 对不起 看
I got a little something to make it up to you. There you go!
这个是专门送你的 来!
There you go! Boom!
扔! 砰!
– Get outta here! I’ll have you arrested. – It’s like that now.
– 走开! 再不走找警♥察♥了 – 还要叫警♥察♥啊
You want some of that? Eat it, man!
你也想来点吗? 接招吧 伙计!
Let’s go, let’s go, let’s go.
快走 快走 快走
Go, go, go, go!
走 走!
Did Riley threaten you in any way…
Riley有没有威胁过你…
with what might happen to you if you ever came forward?
如果你告密 会发生什么事?
No, Sir.
没有 先生
He didn’t say anything at all to you in this regard?
关于这件事 他什么都没说吗?
He gave me a couple Celtics tickets.
他给我了几张凯尔特人队的票
Told me to keep my mouth shut.
让我保密
The appeals process is even more Byzantine…
上诉的程序…
than the trial it’s appealing.
比初审还要繁琐
It takes longer,
花更长的时间
it costs more, its outcome is even less promising.
更多的钱 胜诉几率却更小
Only five cases in fifty will win in appeals court.
50个案子里只有5个能胜诉
The odds are as easy to calculate as they are discouraging.
这个比例太容易算了 只有一比十
They’re ten to one against.
这很令人沮丧
Just about any bet at any table in any casino anywhere in the world…
世界上任何一家赌场 任何一张赌桌 任何一种赌法…
is better than that.
胜率都比它高
I have the evidence, but no longer the resources or the gambling spirit…
我现在有了证据 但再也没有了将Beatrice案
to appeal the decision in the Beatrice case.
上诉的资源或者赌博的勇气
I have no money, no partners,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!