我是托比·凯利 你好
I’ve been studying your equilibrium.
我正在研究你的平衡论
The one you wrote here, at Princeton.
你在普林斯顿发表的理论
To come up with something totally original, the way you did…
真了不起 居然能想出这个原创理论
You know, I was young.
那时我还年轻
I’ve been developing a theory.
我发展出一套理论
I believe I can prove
我相信能证明
that Galois extensions are covering spaces.
伽罗瓦的扩张体理论 是包含了整个空间
That everything, everything is connected.
每件事物都有关联性
That it’s all part of the same subject.
而且是同个主体的一部分
When was the last time you ate? Excuse me?
你什么时候吃的饭? 什么?
You know, food.
就是吃东西
My wife, she loves mayonnaise.
我太太最喜欢蛋黄酱
Oh, thank you. Thank you.
谢谢你
Go on.
继续说
The function… is in the two categories.
函数是在两个范畴内
Alicia!
艾丽西娅
coming together at maximum speed of…
以最高速度结合…
let us say 10 miles per hour.
让我们假设一小时十英里的速度
So you have a fly on the tire of bicycle B,
在B脚踏车的轮胎上 有只苍蝇
and the fly, who can travel at 20 miles an hour,
它的速度是每小时二十英里
leaves the tire of bicycle B and it flies to
它离开B脚踏车的轮胎
the tire of bicycle A and backwards and forwards
飞向A脚踏车的轮胎 就这么来来回回不断的飞
and so on and so forth until the two bikes collide
直到两辆脚踏车相撞
and the poor little fly is squashed.
而可怜的苍蝇被压扁为止
This is the important thing about
也就说当你在某一个场地范围里
actually focusing in and comprehending
对其集中精力并全面领会
the area that you’re dealing with.
是非常重要的
Mathematics is very specific, and it is an art form,
数学是非常精细的东西 它不像艺术品
no matter what these people around here will tell you,
不要管这周围的人怎么对你说
especially the people from biology.
尤其是那些学生物的
Don’t listen to any of those people.
不要听任何人
Let me go back to what you were doing before.
让我继续看看 你们之前刚做的东西
I might want to steal this, write a book and get famous.
我说不定会把他们盗走 写本书 然后成名
I was thinking that I might teach.
我在想我该可以教书了
A classroom with 50 students
一班五十个学生
can be daunting for anyone.
任何人都会望而生畏的
John, besides, you’re a terrible teacher.
约翰 再说了 你也不是个好老师
I’m an acquired taste, Martin.
有深度的人才懂得欣赏我 马丁
I was hoping there still might be something I could contribute.
我希望能有贡献的机会
What about the…
那…
Well, you know.
那个 其实你也知道
Are they gone?
他们消失了吗?
No, they’re not gone.
不 他们仍在这里
And maybe they never will be.
也许永远不会消失
But I’ve gotten used to ignoring them
但是我已习惯不理会他们
and I think as a result they’ve kind of given up on me.
而他们也有点儿想放弃我
You think that’s what it’s like with
你以为我们的梦
all our dreams and our nightmares, Martin?
以及恶梦就是 这样的吗 马丁?
You’ve got to keep feeding them for them to stay alive?
不停的饲养他们 让他们活者?
John, they… haunt you, though.
约翰 可是 他们 经常困扰你
They’re my past, Martin. Everybody’s haunted by their past.
他们是我的过去 其实每个人都被过去所缠绕
Well, good bye.
再见啦
John, I’ll talk to the department.
我会和学校谈的
Maybe in the spring.
也许春季就能开始
Hey, Nash?
嗨 纳什
You… you scared?
你怕了吗?
Terrified.
我被你吓呆了
Mortified. Petrified.
惊呆了 窘呆了
Stupefied by you.
而且是目瞪口呆
Now you ought best ring Alicia,
你最好打电话给艾丽西娅
or you’re gonna get me… I’ll ring her.
否则… 我会的
in an awful lot of trouble.
我的麻烦可大了
Thanks, Professor. Good bye.
谢谢你 教授 再见
Have a nice day. Good bye.
有个愉快的一天 再见
Papers in hand, Mr. Beyer.
拜尔先生 功课一定要做
Professor Nash?
是纳什教授吗?
Can you see him? Yeah.
你看得到他吗? 看得到
You sure? Uh huh.
确定? 嗯哼
Positive? He’s within your vision?
确实肯定? 他的确在你的视线中
Okay. Good.
那就好
Forgive me, I’m just always suspicious of new people.
请你别介意 对没见过的人我都有点戒心
See you next week, Professor. See you next week.
教授 下礼拜见 再见
So now that I know that you’re real,
既然知道你是真的
who are you, and what can I do for you?
请问你是哪位 有什么事?
Professor, my name is Thomas King…
教授 我是托马斯·金…
Thomas King?
托马斯·金?
and I’m here to tell you
我来这是为了 告诉你
that you’re being considered for the Nobel prize.
你被考虑成为 诺贝尔奖的候选人
Forgive me, but I’m just a little stunned.
请原谅 我实在是太惊讶了
Over the past few years
在过去的几年中
your equilibrium has become a cornerstone of modern economics.
你的平衡理论 已成为现代经济的基石
Suddenly everybody likes that one. Yeah.
怎么突然间每个人都爱上它 是的
What about my work on other some such projects…
那我其它几个类似的 计划…
manifold embedding?
“符合嵌入” 怎么样?
The application of your bargaining problem
你的议价理论已经应用在
to F.C.C. bandwidth auctions or to antitrust cases…
联邦电信委员会的宽频拍卖 以及反托拉斯案件上…
Antitrust cases? Yes.
反托拉斯案件? 不错
I never would have considered that.
这我倒没料到
Have I just reached
我是否只是刚刚跨过
some level of honesty that borders on stupidity?
紧挨着愚蠢的正直的边界?
No, no, you haven’t.
一点也不会
Because I wouldn’t have thought of that.
因为我是想不到那些的
Shall we have tea?
进来喝杯茶好吗?
Oh, I don’t go in there. I usually just…
哦 我不进去那 我通常只是…
take my sandwich in the library.
带者我的三明治 去图书馆
Come on, John. Let’s have some tea. It’s a big day.
来吧 进去喝杯茶 今天是你的大日子
Most commercially available brands of tea
绝大多数市场上 有的品牌茶
are not suitable to my palate.
都不合我的品味
I’m not…
我不是…
There are some northern Indian teas which are dense enough…
有一种北印度茶 足够浓…
I enjoy the flavor that they have…
我喜欢那种味道…
I have not been in this room for some many years.
我已经好多年没进来过了
I wonder what tea they serve.
不知道他们都有些什么茶
Well, thank you, young lady.
小姐 谢谢你
Things have certainly changed around here.
这里的变化真大
I have a son that age.
我儿子和她差不多大
Harvard.
他在念哈佛大学
I would have thought the nominations
我本以为 诺贝尔奖的提名者
for the Nobel prize would have been secret.
是秘密的 不会事先公开的
I would have thought you’d only find out if you won or lost.
只有在宣布的那一刻才知道
That is generally the case, yes.
一般来说是这样的
But these are special circumstances.
但是这次情况特殊
The awards are substantial.
这个奖很重要
They require private funding.
而且牵涉到奖金
As such,
因此…
the image of the Nobel is…
诺贝尔奖得主的形象…
I see. You came here to find out if I was crazy?
喔 原来你是来看我有没有疯
Find out if I would
看我会不会
screw everything up if I actually won?
真的得了奖后 把一切都搞杂?
Dance around the podium,
在主席台上跳舞
strip naked and squawk like a chicken, things of this nature?
还是学鸡叫之类的事
Something like that, yes.
差不多啦
Would I embarrass you?
我会不会让你困窘?
Yes, it is possible.
老实说是有可能
You see, I…
你是知道的 我…
I am crazy.
我是个疯子
I take the newer medications,
虽然我在服新药
but I still see things that are not here.
但仍旧有幻觉
I just choose not to acknowledge them.
我仅仅选择去忽略他们
Like a diet of the mind,