爱在日落黄昏时
《此时》
读者见面会
作者
杰西·华♥莱♥士♥
你认为这本书算自传式的吗?
Do you consider the book to be autobiographical?
这个…
Well, I mean…
…什么书不是自传式的呢?
…isn’t everything autobiographical?
我们都是通过自己那小小的钥匙孔看外面的世界,对吧?
I mean, we all see the world through our own tiny keyhole, right?
我是说,我总想起汤玛斯·沃尔夫说的
I mean, I always think of Thomas Wolfe.
你看过《天使望故乡》那本书前面那短短一页的“致读者”吗?
Have you ever seen that little one-page ” Note to Reader” in the front of Look Homeward, Angel?
你知道我在说什么吧?
Well, you know what I’m talking about?
总之,他说我们的生命就是由点点滴滴集♥合♥而成的
Anyway, he says that we are the sum of all the moments of our lives…
…而任何人坐下来,写出来的都不过是自己生命中的体验…
…and that anybody who sits down to write will use the clay of their own life…
…谁都无法回避
…that you can’t avoid that.
所以当我审视我的人生,我必须得承认,我发现…
So when I look at my own life,you konw I have to admit, right, that I…
我从来没有经历过枪林弹雨或是暴♥力♥事件,起码没真正体验过
I’ve never been around a bunch of guns or violence, you know, not really.
没有什么政♥治♥阴谋,也没什么直升机失事
No political intrigue or a helicopter crash, right?
但是我的人生,从我个人观点来看仍然是富有戏剧性的
But my life, from my own point of view,has been full of drama, right?
于是我想也许我也能写本书…
And so I thought,if I could write a book…
…记录下我见到某人时的感觉
…that could capture what it’s like to really meet somebody…
我是说,我经历过的最刺♥激♥的事情之一
One of the most exciting things that’s happened to me…
…就是真正和某人见面,让两个人心灵相通
…is to meet somebody,make that connection.
而如果我能把它表现出来…你明白吗,抓住那一刻的感觉…
And if I could make that valuable,you know, to capture that…
…那就是我的写作意图了,亦或者…
…that would be the attempt, or….
你满意我的回答吗?
Did I answer your question?
我♥干♥脆就直说吧…
I’ll try to be more specific.
我在火车上遇见一个年轻的法国女郎
Was there ever a French young woman on a train you met…
并和她共度良宵
…and spent an evening with?
这个,对我来说…我是说…
See, to me, that…. I mean…
– …这并不重要,你懂吗? – 就是说的确有了?
– …that’s not important, you know? – So that’s a yes?
好吧,既然我人在法国,这又是我签名售书的最后一站,那就算有吧
All right, since I’m in France and this is the last stop of my book tour, yes.
谢谢
Thank you.
华♥莱♥士♥先生,这本书的结尾给我们留下了悬念
Mr. Wallace, the book ends on an ambiguous note.
我们不知道
We don’t know.
你认为他们六个月之后会重聚吗?
Do you think they get back together in six months…
就像他们彼此承诺的那样?
…Iike they promise each other?
像他们保证的?
Like they promised?
我认为这个问题实际上是,是个…
I think how you answer that,you know, is….
是个很好的测试,看看你到底是喜欢浪漫还是对它嗤之以鼻
It’s a good test, right,if you’re a romantic or a cynic.
我是说,你认为他们会重聚的,对吧?
Right? I mean, you think they get back together, right?
– 显然你并不这么认为 – 是的
– You don’t, for sure. – No.
还是你希望他们会,不过你无法肯定
And you hope they do,but you’re not sure.
– 所以你才问这个问题 – 你认为他们会重聚吗?
– That’s why you’re asking the question. – Do you think they get back together?
我是说你们重聚了吗?在现实生活中?
I mean, did you in real life?
现实生活中…?
Did I in real…?
要用我祖父的话来说啊
Look, in the words of my grandfather, okay:
天晓得会不会
“To answer that would take the piss out of the whole thing.”
我们的时间只够问最后一个问题了
We just have the time for one last question.
你下一本书将是什么?
What is your next book?
我不知道,老兄,我真的不知道…
I don’t know, man. I don’t know.
我一直…一直在考虑这个构思…
I’ve been…I’ve been thinking about this….
我总是想写本书…
Well, I always kind of wanted to write a book…
…一切都发生在一首流行歌♥曲那么长时间内
…that all took place within the space of a pop song.
总共大概三到四分钟吧
Like three or four minutes long,the whole thing.
整个故事大概是说有个男人…
The story, the idea,is that there’s this guy, right…
…他非常的沮丧,因为…
…and he’s totally depressed.
他最大的梦想就是拥有一段轰轰烈烈的爱情,一次冒险…
His great dream was to be a lover,an adventurer, you know…
…比如开着摩托周游南美
…riding motorcycles through South America.
但是事实上他只是坐在大理石桌前吃着龙虾
And instead he’s sitting at a marble table eating lobster.
他有份不错的工作,妻子也很漂亮
He’s got a good job and a beautiful wife, right, but that…
他应有尽有,但是这并不是他真正想要的…
Everything that he needs.But that doesn’t matter…
…因为他真正想要的是为某种理想而战
…because what he wants is to fight for meaning.
你明白吗,快乐来自于过程
You know? Happiness is in the doing, right?
而不是因为你得到了你想要的东西
Not in the getting what you want.
总之,他坐在那里,突然间…
So he’s sitting there,and just that second…
…他五岁的小女儿跳上了桌子
…his little 5-year-old daughter hops up on the table.
他知道她该下来,因为她可能会受伤
And he knows that she should get down, because she could get hurt.
但是她正穿着夏日的裙子随着那首歌♥翩翩起舞
But she’s dancing to this pop song in a summer dress.
然后一晃眼
And he looks down…
…突然间,他回到了十六岁
…and all of a sudden, he’s 16.
他的高中女友正送他回家
And his high-school sweetheart is dropping him off at home.
而他们刚刚度过了他们的初夜,她很爱他…
And they just lost their virginity,and she loves him…
…而汽车收音机里里播放着的是同样的一首曲子
…and the same song is playing on the car radio.
然后她爬上了车顶,开始在那里跳舞
And she climbs up and starts dancing on the roof of the car.
这一下,他开始很担心她!
And now he’s worried about her.
她很美,表情也竟然和她女儿一模一样
And she’s beautiful, with a facial expression just like his daughter’s.
事实上,这可能就是他为什么会喜欢她的原因
In fact, maybe that’s why he even likes her.
你懂吗,他知道他并不是身处回忆之中…
You see, he knows he’s not remembering this dance…
…而是他就在那里,他同时出现在人生的两个场景之中
…he’s there. He’s there,in both moments, simultaneously.
就在这一瞬间,他全部的人生好像都交汇到了一起
And just for an instant,all his life is just folding in on itself.
对他来说,时间明显是个谎言
And it’s obvious to him that time is a lie.
因为那一刻将一直延伸下去…
That it’s all happening all the time…
…而且每个时刻之内都包含着另一个时刻…
…and inside every moment is another moment…
…一切的一切,都发生在同一瞬间
…all happening simultaneously.
总之,这就是我大概的想法,总之
Anyway, that’s kind of the idea.Anyway.
我们的作者很快就得去机场了…
Our author has to be going to the airport soon…
…那么,谢谢各位今天下午光临
…so thank you all very much for coming over this afternoon.
尤其要感谢华♥莱♥士♥先生和我们共度了这么美好的一个下午
And a special thanks to Mr. Wallace for being with us.
谢谢,谢谢
Thank you. Thank you.
希望你出下本书的时候我们还能在这见到你!
We hope to see you here again with your next book.
[法语]感谢大家光临
Merci a toutes et a tous qu’etre venus.
[法语]我们为大家准备了香槟和一些小点心
Comme vous voyez y a du champagne,y a des petites choses a gagnoter,
[法语]请尽情享受吧
donc servez vous.
谢谢各位,我必须在几点之前去机场?
Thank you all. How much longer before I have to go to the airport?
哦,你必须在七点半之前离开?
Oh, you should leave at 7:30…
– 最迟七点半! – 好
– Seven-thirty at the very latest. – Okay.
– 嗨 – 你好
– Hi. – Hello.
– 你还好吗? – 很好,你呢?
– How are you? – Good, and you?
挺好,是的,我很好,我…
I’m good, yeah, I’m great. I’m….
你愿意…我是说…去喝杯咖啡什么的吗?
Do you wanna, maybe,get a cup of coffee?
他不是说你要赶飞机吗?
Didn’t he just say you have a plane to catch?
是啊…不过时间还早
Yeah. But, I mean, I have a little time.
– 那好吧 – 好吗?好,那,让我…
– Okay. – Yeah? All right, well, let me….
我在外面等你
I’ll meet you outside. Okay.
我出去一下,喝杯咖啡
Excuse me. I’m just gonna go get a cup of coffee.
– 我七点一刻回来 – 这些书你都签了名吗?
– I’ll be back at 7:15. – Did you sign all these?
– 是的,我肯定签了 – 拿着你的司机菲利普的名片…
– Yeah, I sure did. – Get your driver Philippe’s card…
…这样你要是晚了,就用手♥机♥给他打电♥话♥
…so you can call his cell if you’re running late.
我们会把你的包放在车里,这样你就不会晚了
We’ll put your bags in the car so you’re not late.
– 好的,谢谢你 – [法语]非常感谢
– All right, thanks for everything. – Thank you.
谁是菲利普?
Which one’s Philippe?
[法语]菲利普,把你的名片给他,上面有你的手♥机♥号♥码
Philippe, passe lui ta carte pour qu’il forme ta numero portable.
[法语]谢谢
Merci.
– 真难以置信你会在这里 – 我就住在巴黎
– I can’t believe you’re here. – I live here in Paris.
你真的不用多呆几天吗?你不用再和谁谈什么了吗?
Are you sure you don’t have to stay?You’re not supposed to talk more?
不,他们都开始烦我了,我昨晚整夜都在这里
They’re sick of me.I spent the night here.
– 哦,真的吗? – 是啊,他们楼上有间阁楼
– You did? – Yeah, they got a loft upstairs.
– 你怎么样?这感觉真奇怪 – 我很好
– How are you? This is so weird. – I’m fine.
– 见到你真高兴! – 见到你真高兴!
– It’s good to see you. – It’s good to see you.
– 那你想去喝杯咖啡吗? – 哦,当然
– So you want to go to a cafe? – Yeah.
那好,那边不远有一家很不错
Okay. There’s one a little further that I like.
我刚才见到你的时候我都快傻了
I thought I was gonna totally lose it in there when I first saw you.
你怎么会知道我会来这的呢?
How did you know I was gonna be here?
这是我在巴黎最喜欢的书店了,你可以坐在那里看一天书
It’s my favorite bookstore in Paris.You can sit down for hours and read.
我很喜欢这样,那儿是有跳蚤,不过,你知道的…
I love it. There’s fleas,but, you know….
我知道,我简直感觉昨晚有只猫睡在我头上
I know. I think a cat slept on my head last night.
我一个月前就书店日历上看到你的照片
I saw your picture on the calendar about a month ago…
知道你会来这里
…and that you were going to be here.
有意思的是,我读了你的书,一小段而已
It’s funny, because I read an article on your book…
– 我有种朦朦胧胧的的亲切感 – 朦朦胧胧?是吗?
– …and it sounded vaguely familiar. – Vaguely? Yeah.
是的,只不过是在见到你的照片之后才有的,所以…
But I didn’t put it all together until I saw your photo. So….
你看过那书了吗?