英吉利海峡 根西岛
于德军占领时期
1941年
拜托 艾宾 小声点
Shh! For God’s sake, Eben! Keep it down!
小声点
Keep it down!
那是我尝过最甜美的猪肉 达西
Sweetest pork I ever tasted, Dawsey.
多汁 还有伊索拉
Succulent. And, Isola
你的琴酒
your gin
别害我们被逮捕!
He’ll get us all arrested!
艾宾!嘘!
Eben! Shh!
你们先走
You two go on.
我从田地那边带他回去 要命!
I’ll take him back over the fields. Sod ’em!
这是我们的地我们的家,不是他们的 那些死板烂家伙最好
This is our island, our home, not theirs. Those squareheaded buggers can shove
站住!
Stop!
停!退后! 文件!
Halt! Stand back! Papers!
当然,队长
Of course, captain.
那头猪超漂亮,达西 嘘!
The pig was beautiful, Dawsey. Ssh!
不过那个派… 你们没遵守宵禁
That bloody pie though… You’re breaking curfew.
你们几个人聚在一起做什么?
What is the purpose of your assembly?
我们只是看书
We were just Reading.
我们是一个读书会,你看
We have a book club, you see.
你知道,有关当局总是鼓励文化集团活动
You know, the authorities are trying to encourage cultural association
说那符合你们的占领模式 是啊,我们都是爱书人
as part of your model occupation. Yes, yes. Book lovers, that’s us.
你们的读书会叫什么名字?
What is the name of your club?
根西文学与土豆皮馅饼
The Guernsey Literary and Bloody potato peel pie!
根西文学与土豆皮馅饼
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie
根西岛文学与土豆皮馅饼俱乐部
Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.
是啊,应该有在名单上
Yes. Should be on the list.
根西文学与
Guernsey Literary
你们该不会要没收土豆皮?
You’re not confiscating potato peelings yet, are you?
这是非法集♥会♥ 你们得跟我们走,全部!
This is an illegal assembly. You will come with us. All of you!
你还好吧,艾宾?
You all right, Eben?
要我扶他上你的车吗?
Shall I help put him into your car?
登记这群人的姓名
You will register this group
明天一大早就登记!
first thing in the morning!
谢谢你
Thank you.
片名:根西岛文学与土豆皮馅饼俱乐部
另外,《时报》也在催我
Oh, so The Times have been on to me.
新油漆!
Fresh paint!
上回看到新油漆是什么时候?
When was the last time you saw that?
喔!
Oh!
让人几乎相信战争真的结束了
One might almost believe the war is really over.
伦敦,1946年
他们要你写一篇文章
Yes, they want you to do an article.
关于阅读
About reading.
不行,辛德尼,我不想再用伊兹的身份写文章了
Oh, no. Sidney, no. I don’t think I’m much up for any more of Izzy.
事实上,他们要的是朱丽叶·艾许顿
Actually, they want Juliet Ashton.
这次要用你自己的声音 我已经同意了
It’s your own voice this time. I’ve said yes.
喔,是吗?
Oh! Have you?
你或许会拒绝 但我做的决定比较理想
Well, you might have said no, and I make better decisions.
你星期一开始巡回宣传书 从贝斯到约克夏
So your book tour starts Monday week, Bath to Yorkshire.
时报的文章可以趁空闲时写
The Times will fill the gap nicely.
就这样
There we are.
喔,就这样,我们到了
Oh, speaking of which, here we are.
我们的站到了
Our stop.
谢谢大家
Thank you.
伊兹 毕克史戴夫 新书签名会
艾许顿小姐? 是的
Miss Ashton? Yes?
你一直都想成为作家吗?
Have you always wanted to be a writer?
一向如此,是的
Always. Yes.
这是最理想的工作
It’s the perfect job.
坐在室内,离茶壶不远
Sitting indoors, and always near a teapot.
有好有坏
It has its ups and downs.
我的第一本书 《关键传记:安妮·伯朗特》
My first book, A Critical Biographyof Anne Bront,sold only
卖♥♥了多少本,辛德尼?
How many copies, Sidney?
这位是我的出版商 辛德尼·史塔克先生
My publisher, Mr. Sidney Stark.
二十八本
Twentyeight copies.
全球销♥售♥量
Worldwide.
为什么用伊兹·毕克史戴夫这笔名? 不用你自己本名?
Why Izzy Bickerstaff? Why not write under your own name?
我不确定是从哪里先开始的
Well, I’m not sure which came to me first,
是伊兹这名字还是他的声音
Izzy’s name or his voice.
无论如何,两者都很符合 这本书的调性
In either case, they both seemed to suit the tone of the task,
比我自己的还合适
much better than my own.
你现在在写新书吗?
Are you working on a new book?
伊兹应该算不上是一本书吧
I’m not sure I’d call Izzy a book,
充其量只是几篇散文集
as much as a collection of faintly amusing essays.
是,我正在写
Yes, I am.
《英国怪异现象》 关于英国谬论的杂记
English Foibles,a miscellany of English absurdity.
比方说,有一个伦敦公共风化协会
For example, there’s a London Society for Public Decency
宣传促导马匹要穿上裤子
which advocates trousers for horses.
真高兴认识你,艾许顿小姐 太开心了
Ah! A pleasure to meet you, Miss Ashton. A delight.
我是你的书迷
I’m such a huge fan.
喔,谢谢你
Oh! Thank you.
可怜的老伊兹 战场上派不上用场,是吧?
Poor old Izzy, eh? Had no use for a war, did he?
只想一个人喝酒不受干扰
Only wanted to be left alone with his pint.
来吧
Here we are.
老实说,是因为伊兹·毕克史戴夫 让你有抢先的机会
Quite frankly, Izzy Bickerstaff’s why you get first dibs here, Miss Ashton.
但你可别犹豫拖延
But you mustn’t dally. No.
这里马上就会被人抢走
It’s sure to go in a flash!
父亲的镇纸!
Father’s paperweight!
朱丽叶? 朱丽叶?
Juliet? Juliet?
你在哪里? 快从边缘回来!不!
Where are you? Come back from the edge! No!
没事的
It’s all right.
纯水晶
Pure crystal.
喔,是的,这里真好
Oh, yes, yes. It’s very nice.
你是否
Do you
有看到那水晶,朱丽叶?
see the crystal, Juliet?
很漂亮
Lovely.
美丽的肯辛顿花♥园♥风景
Wonderful view of Kensington Gardens.
亚伯特音乐厅就在附近
Albert Hall, around the corner.
这价格很难得的
It’s a steal at this price.
这里很漂亮
It is beautiful.
我就知道你会喜欢
I knew you’d love it.
我很抱歉
I’m terribly sorry.
你终于买♥♥得起好东西,开心点!
At long last, you can afford something smart. Rejoice!
我感觉自己好虚假
I feel a complete fraud here.
朱丽叶,你应该做点升级 贝特森那间简陋房♥子
Juliet, you really do need something better than a poky bedsit in Battersea
三个皮箱和一台打字机根本不是办法
with three suitcases and a typewriter.
我知道 喔,我明白了
I realize. Oh, I see.
可怜的东西,你觉得自己没吃够苦头
Poor thing, you feel you haven’t suffered enough.
希望不是吧
Oh, I expect not.
我没立场能够
Well, far be it for me to
让你脱离你的沉重责任 但这样好了
relieve you of your solemn duties, but I’ll tell you what.
我们买♥♥公♥寓♥送给 伦敦所有其他遭轰炸的人
We will buy new flats for everyone else in London who was bombed out,
只要伊兹爬上排行榜第一名 这样有没有好一点?
just as soon as Izzy hits number one. Will that make it better?
这的确是个好的开始
It is a strong start.
这里可以是个不错的家
This could be a proper home.
它是个不错的家,辛德尼
It is a proper home, Sidney.
只是它不属于我
It’s just not mine.
对不起 别这样,别害羞!
Excuse me. Come on! Don’t be shy!
借过!
Coming through!
你需要一扇巨大窗户 把书桌摆在窗前
Well, you’ll need an enormous window to put your desk in front of.
因为你阳光晒得不够多 服务生,酒瓶我要保留
‘Cause you don’t get enough sun as it is. Waiter, I’ll keep the bottle.
一个让你温暖的壁炉
A fireplace to keep you warm
当你没和我在一起时
when you’re not with me.
马坎姆雷诺斯 外交官兼先知
Markham Reynolds, diplomat and clairvoyant!
你真与众不同! 听从你吩咐
You’re a wonder! At your service.
是吧?
Right?
但有窗户有何用
But what good is a window,
若我没给你一片风景呢?
if I haven’t given you a view?
你看!
Watch this.
雷诺斯先生?
Mr. Reynolds!
我已经要求过你别这样了
I’ve asked you to stop.