我是在聊友谊
I’m talking about friendship.
我是在聊人格
I’m talking about character.
我是在聊 妈的 利奥 我可不会不好意思用这个词
I’m talking about…Hell, Leo, I ain’t embarrassed to use the word.
我是在聊道德
I’m talking about ethics.
你知道我是一个具有冒险精神的人
You know I’m a sporting man.
我喜欢偶尔赌上两把
I like to lay the occasional bet.
但是我也不是那么喜欢冒险
But I ain’t that sporting.
当我事先安排好一场拳赛
When I fix a fighting
比如说我花钱安排一场赔率三比一的
Say I pat a three to one favorite…
见鬼的拳击比赛
to throw a goddamned fight.
我认为我就有权利期待这场拳赛
I figure I got the right to expect
能以三比一的赔率收盘
that fight to go off at three to one.
但是每次
But every time
只要我跟伯尼·伯恩邦这个狗♥杂♥种♥合作
I lay in bed with this son of a bitch Bernie Bernbaum,
在我搞清楚怎么回事儿之前 赔率就被扯平了
before I know it, the odds is even up.
甚至有时更糟 赔率会变得让我赔钱
Or worse, I’m betting on the short money.
这个犹太鬼佬知道我喜欢确保无虞的赌局
The sheeny knows I like sure things.
他就到处散播我事先安排拳击赛的谣言
He’s selling the information I fixed the fight.
弄得满城的钱都搅进赌局
Out of town money comes pouring in.
赔率简直一落千丈
The odds go straight to hell.
我也搞不清他到底把消息卖♥♥给了谁
I don’t know who he’s selling to,
也许是洛杉矶的那帮人
maybe the Los Angeles combine.
我不知道 但重点是
I don’t know. The point is,
伯尼并不满足于他老老实实吃的红利
Bernie ain’t satisfied with the honest dollar he can make off the vig.
他也不满足于我透过他签的赌单赚的钱
He ain’t satisfied with the business I do on his book.
他出♥卖♥♥♥我安排赌局的内部机密
He is selling tips on how I bet.
而那意味着本该钻进我裤兜里的一部分钱
And that means part of the payoff that should be riding on my hip…
现在钻进了别人的口袋里
is riding on someone else’s.
所以 回到我们刚刚说的那些问题
So, back we go to these questions…
友谊 人格
friendship, character,
道德
ethics.
所以我应该是讲清楚了吧
So, it’s clear what I’m saying?
再清楚不过了
As mud.
情况变成了一个生意人居然无法从一场事先安排好的拳赛中获利
It’s getting so a businessman can’t expect no return from a fixed fight.
既然连一场安排好的拳赛都不能轻信 还有什么是可以相信的
Now, if you can’t trust a fix, what can you trust?
想要赚取丰厚的利润 现在只能赌运气了
For a good return, you gotta go betting on chance,
这样一切就都回归到无政♥府♥状态了
and then you’re back with anarchy.
回归到生活在丛林中的野蛮时期
Right back in the jungle.
因此道德才如此重要
That’s why ethics is important,
是我们和动物的不同之处
what separates us from the animals,
让我们和那些被奴役和被捕食的野兽不同
the beasts of burden, the beasts of prey.
这都靠道德
Ethics.
然而伯尼·伯恩邦却是一匹害群之马
Whereas, uh, Bernie Bernbaum is a horse of a different color,
在道德方面 他根本一无所有
ethics-wise, as in he ain’t got any.
– 你能确定是伯尼在出♥卖♥♥♥你 – 根本没有别人
– You sure it’s Bernie selling you out? – It ain’t elves.
没有其他人知道你事先安排拳赛赌局的事儿
No one else knows about the fix?
没有其他人如此缺德
No one that ain’t got ethics.
那么那些你付钱让他们故意输掉比赛的拳手们呢
What about the fighters you pay to tank out?
我们只会挑选那些我们能够震慑得住的拳手
We only pick fighters we know we can put the fear of God in.
其他的签单人知道么
Any other bookies know?
你是不是也找了其他的人管签单
You play anyone else’s book?
我 我偶尔会找明科·拉鲁伊管签单
I…I lay an occasional bet with Mink Larouie.
– 但是绝不会是明科 我可以担♥保♥ -你怎么知道
– But it ain’t Mink. I’ll vouch for that. -How do you know?
不会是明科 明科是艾迪·戴恩的人
It ain’t Mink. Mink is Eddie Dane’s boy.
当然了 这个戴恩可是一直都清楚你安排拳赛赌局的事儿
Of course the Dane always knows about the fix.
你这话是什么意思
And what the hell is that supposed to mean?
就那么回事儿呗 我的意思是好多人都知道你这事儿
Let it drift. All it means is a lot of people know.
我猜你可能没有听清我的意思
I guess you ain’t been listening.
没错 是有其他人知道内情
Sure, other people know.
这也是为什么我们要讨论人格的问题
That’s why we gotta go to this question of character…
这样才能知道到底是谁在吃里扒外
to determine just who, exactly, is chiseling in on my fix.
也就是这样我们才肯定是伯尼·伯恩邦那犹太小子
And that’s how we know that it’s Bernie Bernbaum, the shmatte kid…
因为他的道德观念有点薄弱
cause ethically, he’s kinda shaky.
– 所以你就要宰了他 – 以儆效尤
– So you want to kill him. – For starters.
抱歉 凯斯帕 伯尼花钱请我们保护他
Sorry, Caspar. Bernie pays for protection.
听着 利奥 我可不是在请求你的许可
Listen, Leo, I ain’t asking you for permission.
我是出于礼貌才通知你的
I’m telling you as a courtesy.
这事儿我想这么办 这事儿就得这么办
I need to do this thing, so it’s gonna get done.
那么我也出于礼貌地通知你 你会因此惹上大♥麻♥烦的
And I’m telling you, as a courtesy, you’ll have trouble.
你来这儿是想看看如果你杀了伯尼我会不会对你动手
You came here to see if I’d kick if you killed Bernie.
那么 这就是给你的答案
Well, there’s your answer.
我像个菜贩子交保护费似的每月都给你上供
I pay off to you every month like a greengrocer
比那个犹太小子给你的多很多
a lot more than the shmatte,
而我受够了你的盛气凌人了
and I’m sick of getting the high hat.
你跟大家一样是付的保护费
You pay off for protection just like everyone else.
据我所知 还有那些我不知道的也不值得我知道的
As far as I know, and what I don’t know in this town ain’t worth knowing,
警♥察♥没有查封过你旗下的任何一家酒馆
the cops haven’t closed any of your dives…
地方检察官也没能染指你的非法交易
and the D.A. hasn’t touched any of your rackets.
你还没有买♥♥到能杀签单人的许可
You haven’t bought any license to kill bookies,
而今天我也没有打算卖♥♥给你
and today I ain’t selling any.
所以你还是带着你的哈巴狗滚开吧
So take your flunky and dangle.
你觉得我是刚刚出来混的 能让你随意搓圆揉扁
You think I’m some guinea fresh off the boat, and you can kick me.
但是我已经今非昔比了 我受够了被你束手束脚 利奥
But I’m too big for that now. I’m sick of takin’ the strap from you, Leo.
我受够了不得不踏入这个鬼地方
I’m sick of marching into this goddamn office…
拍你这个爱尔兰人的马屁
to kiss your Irish ass,
我受够了你的盛气凌人
and I sick of the high hat!
你的手下都是花拳绣腿
Yours fancy pants, all of yours.
约翰
Johnny?
我让你多嚣张你就只能多嚣张 不要玩火
You’re exactly as big as I let you be and no bigger,
永远不要忘记这点
and don’t forget it, ever.
说得对 利奥
That’s right, Leo.
你才是这里的老大
You’re the big shot around here,
而我只是个被人颐指气使惯了的蠢货
and I’m just some schnook likes to get slapped around.
虐虐这种粗人 他也就只能抱怨哀嚎
Twist a pig’s ear, watch him squeal.
– 无聊透顶 利奥 – 怎么今天有人站错队伍了 嗯哼
– Bad play, Leo. – Who got up the wrong side, huh?
-我一直都在同一队伍 – 我就是这个意思 你欠着钱
-Same side as always. – That’s what I mean. Still owe money to–
你欠哪个签单人的钱来着 拉扎尔吗 我可以帮你把债偿清
Who is your bookie, Lazarre? I could put it right for you.
– 谢了 利奥 我不需要你的帮助 – 鬼才信
– Thanks, Leo. I don’t need it. – In a pig’s eye.
你已经连续六周没有赢过了
You haven’t played a winner in six weeks.
到时候人们回来让我允许打断你的腿
People will speak ill of me if I let him break your legs.
– 人们还会说我是自作自受 – 那他们可就说对了 但那不是重点
– People will say I had it coming. -And they’ll be right, but that ain’t the point.
谁让我是个软心肠 我就是要帮你摆平债务 没错
Call me a bighearted slob, but I’m gonna square it for you, yeah.
我想我不如今晚就搞定它
I think I’ll do that this very same night.
看着你到处愁云惨淡的鬼样子 简直破坏了我的
Looking at you moping around takes away all my…
那句话怎么说来着 “人生的乐趣”
What do you call it? “Joy de veever”?
– 生活的乐趣 – 哦 既然你要这样 那就死一边去吧
– Joie de vivre. – Well, if you’re gonna laugh at me, the hell with ya.
你死一边去吧
The hell with you.
我自己跟拉扎尔解决这笔债务 如果你不介意的话
I’ll square myself with Lazarre, if you don’t mind.
这就是上帝发明了扑克的理由
That’s why God invented cards.
– 倒是有件事情想请你帮忙 – 讲吧
– There is one thing you can do for me. – Name it.
想想保护伯尼能给我们带来什么好处
Think about what protecting Bernie gets us.
想想得罪凯斯帕给我们带来什么损失
Think about what offending Caspar loses us.
喔 拜托了 汤米 你知道我最讨厌思考了
Oh, come on, Tommy. You know I don’t like to think.
是啊
Yeah.
呵呵 也许你该想想是不是该开始思考了
Well, think about whether you should start.
加布里埃尔·伯恩
马西娅·盖伊·哈登
约翰·特托罗
乔·鲍里托
J·E·弗里曼
阿尔伯特·芬妮
片名 《米勒的十字路口》
醒醒 汤米
Wake up, Tommy.
– 我醒着呢 – 你的眼睛还是闭着的
– I am awake. – Your eyes are shut.
人与人之间最基本的信任呢
Who you gonna believe?
– 我赌运怎么样 – 你觉得呢
– How’d I do? – What do you think?
你要是个百万富翁了 你还会记得你的朋友们么
You are a millionaire. You gonna remember your friends?
– 我的帽子呢 – 被你抵押下注了 伙计
– Where’s me hat? – You bet it, mug.
幸好在你拿裤子下注之前赌局就结束了
Good thing the game broke up before you bet your trousers.
– 谁拿了我的帽子
– Who made off with me hat?
维娜 维娜和明科
Verna. Verna and Mink.
– 谁 – 明科和维娜
– Who? – Mink and Verna.
晴天霹雳今晚出场么
Is Thunderclap running tonight?
– 晴天霹雳 – 是啊

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!