我父亲一生都恨律师
My father hated lawyers all his life.
我个人认为 他不算是个好人
He wasn’t a great guy, my old man.
他酗酒 并且虐待我的母亲
He drank and beat up my mother.
他也殴打我
He beat me up, too.
要是你认为我要成为一个律师
So you might think I became a lawyer
只是为了气他
just to piss him off,
那你也许就错了
but you’d be wrong.
我之所以想成为一个律师
I’ve wanted to be a lawyer
是自从我读了有关民权律师
ever since I read about the civil rights lawyers
在五十和六十年代
in the fifties and sixties
为法律发掘出令人惊异的运用
and the amazing uses they found for the law.
他们做了许多人认为
They did what a lot of people thought
本来是不可能的事
was the impossible.
他们给了律师一个好名声
They gave lawyers a good name.
因此我进了法学院
And so I went to law school,
这确实激怒了我的父亲
and it did piss my father off,
不过他其实总是在发火
but he was pissed off anyway.
在我读大学的第一年 有一天他喝醉了
In my first year, he got drunk one day
从梯子上摔下来
and fell of a ladder
这发生在他干活的工厂里
manufactured by the company he worked for,
而他却不知道要先告谁
and he didn’t know who to sue first.
大约两个月后他就因此去世了
Now, he died a couple months after that.
我喝干啦
I’m empty.
我的一些同学
Now, some of my classmates,
知道他们将从学校出去后直接
they knew they were going straight from school
进入顶级的律师事务所
into the top law firms,
主要依靠他们的家庭关系网
thanks mostly to their family connections.
而我所仅有的一个关系
Now, the only connections I had
是三年来在一个酒巴跑堂而建立起来的
were made in the places where I tended bar for 3 years
因为我得赚钱付我的学费
so I could pay my tuition.
当我踌躇满志
And while I still had plans
要让正义之光 照亮每一个黑暗角落
to shine the blazing light of justice into every dark corner,
我其实迫切需要的是一份工作
what I really needed right now was a job,
因为孟菲斯的律师 太多了
because there are too many lawyers in Memphis.
这座城市到处是他们的身影
This city’s infested with them.
我不这么认为
I don’t think so.
我不知道有什么能比这更令人苦恼了
I can’t think of anything more embarrassing
就是告诉别人
than telling people
我是为伯鲁瑟斯通工作
I work for a guy like Bruiser Stone.
我是说 他是个律师 大家叫他伯鲁瑟
I mean, he’s a lawyer, and they call him Bruiser.
这就是为什么我如此失望
That’s how desperate I am.
当然
Sure.
把门关上
Shut the door.
不 不是那个 也不是那个
No, not that. Not that either.
当然
Sure.
当然
Sure.
就在我家吧
Let’s make it my house.
好的
OK.
我真的同情这个可怜的FBI探员
I really pity the poor FBI technician
他非要想从交谈中
that’s gonna have to extract the data
搞些资料出来
from that conversation.
律师的办公室里养着活生生的鲨鱼
Live sharks in a lawyer’s office.
这是个玩笑 明白吗
It’s a joke. Get it?
如此说来 普林斯
So, Prince,
这就是你向我提起过的法学院学生吗
is this the law student you were telling me about?
是 先生我刚在
Yes, sir. I just finished
孟菲斯州立大学读完三年级
my third year at Memphis state.
你能让他在这里工作吗
Couldn’t you use him around here?
你看 我可以为他担♥保♥
Look, I’ll vouch for him.
这孩子需要找份工作
The boy needs a job.
他在我们俱乐部的酒巴打工
He’s tended bar at our clubs.
鲁迪 这儿会是你工作的好地方
This’ll be a great place for you to work, Rudy.
这儿会是
This’ll be…
你工作的好地方
A great place for you to work.
你可以看到真正的律师是怎么做的
You can see what real lawyers do.
但这里不提供带薪职位
Now, it ain’t exactly a salaried position.
不算吗
It isn’t?
我希望我的人 能自己挣出工资来
I expect my associates to pay for themselves…
自己创收
generate their own fees.
向我汇报
Talk to me.
那怎么运作呢
How exactly does that work?
嗯 鲁迪 你每月支取一千美金
Well, Rudy, you draw $1,000 a month,
另外你可以从你赚到的钱里抽取三分之一
and you get to keep 1/3 of all the fees that you generate.
要是你赚的比支取的多
Now, if you can’t cover your draw
那到每个月底差额就算你欠我的
at the end of each month, you owe me the balance.
你听明白了吗
Do you understand?
我觉得挺公平 鲁迪
Sounds fair to me, Rudy.
这是个不易接受的交易 的确如此
That’s a hell of a deal, really.
但这么做你能挣很多钱
You can make a lot of money this way.

Um…
让我来告诉你 鲁迪
I’ll tell you something, Rudy.
这是我唯一的经营方式
That’s the only way I operate.
我会让你接手很多好案子
And I’ll get you a lot of good cases.
我手里有案子
I have cases.

Uh…
我现在手上有两个案子
I have 2 cases right now.
一个是办遗嘱
One is a will
我替一个老妇人起草遗嘱
that I’m drafting for an old woman.
她很富有 值好几百万
She’s loaded, too. She’s worth millions.
而另一个案子
And then I have this other case.
是个保险案子
It’s an insurance case.
巨大福利公♥司♥ 听说过么
Great Benefit. You heard of ’em.
你有委托人的签字吗
You got these clients signed?
我现在正要去找他们
I’m on my way to see ’em right now,
他们也很愿意听我的意见
and they’ll listen to me, too.
我在法律工作室帮过他们的忙
I helped ’em over at a law workshop.
很好 我会让你去和我的一个同事
All right, I’m gonna have you talk
狄克谢佛来尔谈谈
to an associate of mine, Deck Schifflet.
他常与那些大保险公♥司♥打交道
He used to work with these big insurance companies.
他负责所有高级别的案件
He handles all the high-powered stuff around here.
嘿 狄克
Hey, Deck!
狄克
Deck!
该死的
Damn it.
你建立了那些案子的档案了吗
You got the paperwork on this stuff?
在我的车上
In my car.
很好
Good.
嘿 帅哥
Hey, good lookin’
这是狄克谢佛来尔
this is Deck Schifflet.
这家伙会带你上路
This man will get you plugged in.
我想让你做的是
What I want you to do,
立案起诉这个巨大福利保险公♥司♥
I want you to draw up a lawsuit against this Great Benefit,
并署上我的名字
and you put my name on it.
我们今天就建立档案
We’re gonna file it today.
谢谢你
Thank you.
鲁迪 你会学到很多东西
Rudy, you’re gonna learn a lot.
鲁迪 我很高兴你到这儿来
Rudy, I’m glad you came here.
你做了个很好的选择 孩子
You’re making good choices already, son.
不错 那么 谢谢你
All right, well, thank you.
好的 谢谢你
OK, thank you.
出去的时候把门带上 好吗
Close the door on your way out now, OK?
律师事务所 要帮忙么
Law offices. May I help you?
这是个办公室 有人在里面
This is an office, there’s people in it.
要是有人在办公室里
If there’s somebody in the office,
你就别用它 太挤了
you can’t have it, it’s off limits.
这里是厕所
This is the bathroom.
等一会儿
Just a minute.
对不起
Sorry.
那么 你是他的的同事吗
So, are you an associate here?
算是吧 不是正式的
Sort of. Not really.
确凿说来我还不算个律师
I’m actually not a lawyer yet.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!