他们开始跑了了
And they’re off and running!
“西雅图”在前方猛冲”紫色影子”第二名
Seattle breaking on top. Purple Shadow is second.
在那天周六下午3:45整
At exactly 3:45 on that Saturday afternoon
九月的最后一个礼拜
in the last week of September,
马文安格可能是 赛马场上十万人里
Marvin Unger was perhaps the only one among the 1 00,000 people at the track
对第五局比赛 唯一提不起劲的人
who felt no thrill at the running of the fifth race.
他对赛马毫无兴趣
He was totally disinterested in horse racing
一生都看不起赌博
and held a lifelong contempt for gambling.
然而他还是在第五局的
Nevertheless, he had a five-dollar win
每匹马身上下注五块钱
bet on every horse in the fifth race.
他当然知道这种奇特的押注法
He knew, of course, that this rather unique system of betting
结果可能是输钱 但他不在乎
would more than likely result in a loss, but he didn ‘t care.
他想毕竟输个二十 三十块
For after all, he thought, what would the loss of $20 or $30 mean
又怎能比得上 真正重要的那笔巨款呢
in comparison to the vast sum of money ultimately at stake?
-请给我1瓶果汁汽水 -好的 马上来
-A bottle of ginger ale, please, -Yes, sir, Comin’ right up,
最看好的马落后了 任何人都可能会赢
Favorite broke bad, Could be anybody’s race,
可能吧
Could be,
五块押它赢 另外五块押它进入排名
A five-dollar win next to the five-dollar place,
奥利微西街504号♥4B室 8PM
-观众真不少 -是啊
-Quite a crowd you got, -Yeah,
通过1/4处的是”幸运飞箭”和”紫色影子”
Passing the quarter pole, it is Lucky Arrow and Purple Shadow
外圈的”马表”则是第三
with Stopwatch on the outside to third.
跑道最前面的”紫色影子”领先一个马身
At the head of the stretch, it is Purple Shadow leading by a length .
第二名的”幸运飞箭” 落后1/4个马身
Lucky Arrow is second, behind by a quarter.
从外圈赶上来的”马表” 落后一又1/4个马身
Stopwatch moving up on the outside by a length and a quarter.
再来是”南方之星””英仔贝纳””史丹利K”
Then comes Southern Star, Baynard Brit, Stanley K,
“第三列”和”甜蜜困境”
Third Row, and Lovely Dilemma.
“幸运飞箭”以一个马头之差领先
it is Lucky Arrow leading by a head.
“紫色影子”落后一个马头”马表”从外圈迎头赶上
Purple Shadow by a header and Stopwatch moving fast on the outside.
现在是”幸运飞箭””紫色影子”和”马表”不分上下
it’s Lucky Arrow, Purple Shadow, Stopwatch neck and neck.
“幸运飞箭””紫色影子”和”马表”
it’s Lucky Arrow, Purple Shadow, and Stopwatch .
现在是”马表”领先了
it’s Stopwatch taking the lead.
“马表”第一名 领先一个马头
it’s Stopwatch by a head.
第二名”紫色影子”落一个马头
Purple Shadow second by a head,
第三名”幸运飞箭”落后一个马身
Lucky Arrow third by a length
“南方之星”是第四名
and Southern Star finished fourth .
奥利微西街504号♥4B室 8PM
在等候宣布正式比赛结果时
Waiting for the race to become official,
他开始觉得自己似乎也能影响
he began to feel as if he had as much effect
这个行动的最后结果
on the final outcome of the operation
如同特大号♥拼图中的一小片
as a single piece of a jumbo jigsaw puzzle has
也能影响到成品的构图
to its predetermined final design .
只有加上遗失的那块拼图
only the addition of the missing fragments of the puzzle
才能看出这张图 跟他想像的是否一样
would reveal whether the picture was as he guessed it would be.
第五局的结果正式公布
The result of the fifth race is now declared to open .
二十五块
Twenty-five dollars,
那个九月的周六下午 大约一小时前
About an hour earlier that same Saturday afternoon in September
城市的另一边
in another part of the city,
一级巡警伦迪肯能
Patrolman First Class Randy Kennan
正在办他的私事
had some personal business to attend to.
你好 东尼 你好消息吗
Hiya, Tony, What’s the good word?
老样子 开心得很
Same as always–havin’ a ball,
待会见
See you later,
晚安 伦迪 最近好吗
Good evening, Randy, How have things been?
问有什么用 里欧 说了你也不会相信的
What’s the use of kickin’, Leo? You wouldn’t believe it, anyway,
看来我们都过得不错
l suppose that we’re very well,
你可是开新车住豪♥宅♥的人
After all, a man drives a new car, lives in a fine apartment,
我是喜欢过好日子 你有意见吗
So I like to live good, You got any objections?
当然没有…
None at all…
只要你没忘你对我的义务就好
as long as you don’t overlook your obligation to me,
我相信那只是一时疏忽
l trust it was purely an oversight,
我相信像你这种身份的人
I’m sure a man in your position wouldn’t
不会故意惹毛债主的
deliberately antagonize his creditors,
我没钱 我知道我应该带钱来
l ain’t got it, I know I should have it,
我和你一样急着想还你钱 可是我没钱
I’m as anxious to pay you off as you are to have me, but I ain’t got it,
我们都会有手头紧的时候
Well, we all get a little cramped now and then,
干脆凑成一千 把结余重新写成新的贷款
Suppose we make it a thousand, I’ll rewrite the balance as a new loan,
让你从头来过
Give you a fresh start,
听着 我没钱了 懂吗 一毛也没有
Listen, I’m broke, Get me? Flat broke,
一毛也没有 别说一千了
l couldn’t give you 1,000 cents,
如果你能再等两个礼拜…
but if you can wait a couple of weeks–
可以安排 但要有担♥保♥
Might be arranged, with the proper collateral, of course,
你想知道钱从哪来 我不能告诉你
You mean, where’s the dough comin’ from? I can’t tell you,
我只能说是笔大买♥♥卖♥♥ 到时就能还你钱了
All I can tell you is, it’s a sweet deal and I’ll be able to pay off,
-两个礼拜 不再拖 -也许不用那么久
-In two weeks? No longer? -Maybe even less than that,
你知道我不会玩你的 我玩不起
You know I wouldn’t pull a thing like this on you, I couldn’t afford to,
很高兴你这么说
I’m glad you said that,
我也正想这么说
l was going to point out as much,
不过你帮我说了 比较不难看
but since you relieved me of the unpleasant necessity–
就这么决定了 我在两星期内还你两千六
lt’s a deal then? I pay you the 2,600 within the next two weeks,
加上四百凑成三千 当然要加给利息
Plus $400, a total of 3,000, The extra interest, of course,
我想应该很令人满意
l trust that’ll be satisfactory,
我不能说不
l couldn’t say no,
谢谢你 我就知道你会同意
Thank you, I was sure you ‘d see it my way,
你要好好保重
Take good care of yourself,
我会保重的 先生
I’ll take care of myself, mister,
那是我的专长
That’s my specialty,
当天晚上七点钟
At 7:00 p.m . that same day,
强尼克雷 可能是最重要的一块拼图
Johnny Clay, perhaps the most important thread in the unfinished fabric,
让整张图渐渐成形
furthered its design .
这些人都不是 一般人眼中的罪犯
None of these men are criminals in the usual sense,
他们都有工作
They’ve all got jobs,
他们都过着 看来正常像样的生活 但是…
They all live seemingly normal, decent lives, but…
他们有问题要解决 他们都喜欢偷有东西
they got their problems, and they’ve all got a little larceny in ’em,
就拿我兄弟安格来说 这幢公♥寓♥就是他的
You take my pal Unger, for instance, the guy who owns this apartment,
这个行动就是他出的钱 他还让我住在这里
He’s putting up the money to operate with and he’s letting me stay here,
他是个簿记
He’s a bookkeeper,
在同一家公♥司♥工作了十年
Been with the same company for ten years,
小菲 我最大的错误 就是净赚些小钱
You know, Fay, the biggest mistake I made before was shooting for peanuts,
我这五年来学会了一件事
Five years have taught me one thing, if nothing else–
每次在冒险之前 最好先确定报酬优渥
anytime you take a chance, you better be sure the rewards are worth the risk,
抢十块钱和抢一百万
They can put you away just as fast for a $10
都有可能坐牢的
heist as for a million-dollar job,
你不必说服我 强尼
You don’t have to sell it to me, Johnny,
你知道我都听你的
You know I’ll go along with anything you say,
从我们小时候 我就一直是这样
l always have, you know, ever since we were kids,
你跟我说过的每句话 我都相信
I’ve always believed you, everything you ‘ve ever told me,
你不在的这五年
Those five years you been away,
你一定很不好受
l know they must’ve been terrible for you,
坐牢一定是很不好受
l mean, being locked up must be a terrible thing,
你知道吗
You know something?
这也许听来好笑 可是…
This may sound funny, but…
等你的这些年来 我自己一个人
waiting for you all those years and staying by myself,
就好像…
it was like…
不是你关在里面 而是我被关在外面
not that you were locked in, but I was locked out,
你看看我
Well, look at me,
五年来头一次见面 我就长篇大论的
First time we’ve been together in five years, and I’m making speeches,
好了 不会有事的 我跟你保证
Now, now, Everything is gonna be all right, I promise you,
你要说到做到
Make sure you ‘re right about it,
我配不上任何人
I’m no good for anybody else,
我不漂亮又不总明 求求你别再丢下我一个人了
I’m not pretty and not very smart, so please don’t leave me alone anymore,
不会有事的 这一次不会
Now, nothing is going to happen, not this time,
我想我最好别烦你了
l guess I better leave you be now,
我知道你有很多事要做
l know you ‘ve got a lot of work to do,
-我何时可以再见到你 -星期六晚上
-When will I see you again? -Saturday night,
我们一起搭飞机走
We’ll be on the plane together,
这件事结束之前 你最好不要出现
Look, Fay, until it’s over, I want you to stay out of the way,
如果有什么我能帮上忙的
lf there’s anything I can do to help,
不 只要帮我订机位就好
No, Just make the plane reservations,
别忘了跟办公室的人说你要走了
Remember, tell them at the office that you ‘re leaving,
说你要结婚了
Tell them you ‘re getting married,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!