-你什么时候回来 -一两个礼拜吧
-When’ll you be back, Roy? -Oh, in a couple of weeks.
别做出对不起我的事
Don’t do nothing you wouldn’t want me to hear about.
-好的 再见 -再见
-Well, so long. -So long.
搭个便车可以吗
How about a lift, mister?
-你没看见牌子吗 -看见了
-Can’t you see that sticker? -Sure, l see it.
车主敬告 严禁载客
可好心人不会理会
But a good guy don’t pay no attention to
牌子说什么
what some heel makes him stick on his truck.
先在踏板上猫一下
Well, scrunch down on the running board
上路后再上来
till we get around the bend.
-很远吗 -几里而已
-Going far? -No, just a couple of miles.
我的狗没死的话我会走回去的
l’d have walked her if my dogs wasn’t pooped out.
-在找工作 -不 我父亲有四十亩田
-Looking for ajob? -No. My old man’s got a place.
他是佃农 不过我们已经在这儿很久了
40 acres. He’s a sharecropper, but we’ve been there a long while.
-一直在务农 -对
-Been doing ajob? -Yeah.
我看过你的手 似乎经常抡大锤
l seen your hands. You been swinging a pick or a sledge.
都磨光了
That’s what makes them shiny.
我很注意这种小的细节
l notice things like that all the time.
有买♥♥卖♥♥吗
Got a trade?
-为什么不直说 -说什么
-Why don’t you get at it, buddy? -Get at what?
你上车就对我打听个不停
You know. You been goin’ over me since l got in.
何不直接问我
Why don’t you ask where l’ve been?
我不过问别人的事
l don’t stick my nose in nobody’s business. l stay in my own yard.
我只管自扫门前雪
That big nose of yours been goin’ over me
你已经打听得够多了
like a sheep in a vegetable patch.
我直说好了
l ain’t keepin’ it secret.
我蹲了四年牢
l’ve been in the penitentiary. Been there four years.
-还想知道什么吗 -别发火
-Anything else? -You ain’t gotta get sore.
-再问啊 -我没有恶意
-Ask me anything. -l didn’t mean nothing.
我也是
Me neither.
我也只想和善待人
l’m just trying to get along without shovin’ anybody, that’s all.
看到前面的路了吗我在那儿下车
See that road ahead? That’s where l get out.
你想知道我为什么坐牢对吧
You’re about to bust a gut to know what l done, ain’t you?
我不会扫你的兴
l ain’t a guy to let you down.
凶杀案
Homicide.
他是我的救星
Hmm, He’s my saviour
我的救星
Hmm, my saviour
我的救星
Hmm, my saviour now
-你好 伙计 -你好
-Howdy, friend. -Howdy.
你不是老乔德的孩子吗
Ain’t you young Tom Joad, old Tom’s boy?
对 我正要回家
Yeah. l’m on my way home now.
我就说
Well, l do declare.
你是我施洗的
l baptised you, son.
你是牧师
Ain’t you the preacher?
以前是 不再是了
Used to be.Not no more.
我失去恩宠了
l lost the call.
以前不是如此
But, boy, l sure used to have it.
以往我的圣水是多么充足
l used to get an irrigation ditch so full of repented sinners
简直可以把人淹死
l’d pretty near drown half of ’em.
如今不行了
But not no more.
我失去了圣灵
l lost the spirit.
我无法再传道了
l got nothing to preach about no more, that’s all.
对事情不敢肯定
l ain’t so sure of things.
我记得你传教时…
l remember you preaching a sermon
全神贯注 声嘶力竭的样子
walking around on your hands, shoutin’ your head off.
我也记得 那时真好
Yeah, l remember.Went pretty good that way.
可那算不上什么
But that was nothin’.
有一次
l preached a whole sermon once
我还在牲口棚的横梁上布道
straddling the ridge pole of a barn.
像这样
Like this.
-那次你在吗 -不在
-Did you see that one? -No.
没有
You didn’t?
反正一切都过去了
Well, it’s all gone anyway.
你应该讨个老婆
You should have got yourself a wife.
我在布道时
Why, at my meetings, l used to
常把女孩说得给昏过去
get the girls a-glory-shoutin’ till they about passed out.
然后我趁势安慰她们
Then l’d go to comfort ’em.
最后总是爱上她们
l’d always end up by loving ’em.
我觉得有罪 一再祷告 可是无济于事
l’d feel bad and pray and pray, but it didn’t do no good.
下一次又再犯
Next time do it again.
我大概是无可救药了
l figured l just wasn’t worth saving.
爸说你根本不是牧师的料
Pa always says you was never cut out for no preacher.
如果我找到女人才不放她走.来一口吗
l never let one get by me if l could catch her. Have a snort?
可是你不是牧师 女人在你而言只是女人
But you wasn’t a preacher. A girl was just a girl to you.
对我而言她们是圣器
To me they’s holy vessels.
我在拯救她们的灵魂
l was saving their souls.
我自问:什么是圣灵
l asked myself, what is this here called holy spirit?
或许就是爱
Maybe that’s love.
我太爱世人 所以有时难免按捺不住
Why, l love everybody so much l’m fit to burst sometimes.
或许世上并无罪恶 也无善德
So… maybe there ain’t no sin and there ain’t no virtue.
有的只是人的行为
lt’s just what people does.
有的人做得好 有的人不太好
Some things folks do is nice and some ain’t so nice.
只能这么说
And that’s all any man’s got a right to say.
如果有人布施 我会赞美他
Of course, l’ll say a grace if somebody sets out the food.
但我并非真心
But my heart ain’t in it.
好酒
Nice drinkin’ liQuor.
那当然 花了一块钱买♥♥的
Ought to be. lt’s factory liQuor. Cost a buck.
你一直在旅行
You been out travelling around?
你没听说吗报上有报
Ain’t you heard? lt’s been in the papers.
没有 什么
No, l never. What?
我被关了四年
l’ve been in the penitentiary for four years.
我不该问的
Excuse me for asking.
我不在乎了 换成现在我还会那么作
l don’t mind no more. l’d do what l done again.
我在舞厅杀了一个人
Killed a guy in a dance hall.
我们醉了
We was drunk.
他拿刀对着我
He got a knife in me and l laid him out with a shovel.
我用铁锹把他打倒 把头打烂了
-Knocked his head plumb to sQuash. -You ain’t ashamed?
你不觉的可耻
-No. He had a knife in me.
他拿刀对着我
-That’s why they only gave me seven years.
所以才判了七年 我被假释了
l got out in four. Parole.
-四年来见过家人吗 -没 但马上就能
-Ain’t seen your folks since? -No, but l aim to before sundown.
-觉得有点兴兴 -你上哪儿去
And l’m gettin’ excited about it too.
无所谓
-Which way are you goin’? -Oh, it don’t matter.
失去
Ever since l lost the spirit,
圣灵后
looks like l’d just as soon go one way as the other.
我便四处游荡 我跟着你好了
l’ll go your way.
或许妈会煮猪肉来吃
Maybe Ma will have pork for supper.
我四年来只吃了四次猪肉 每年圣诞吃一次
l ain’t had pork but four times in four years. Every Christmas.
能见到你老爸真好
l’ll be glad to see your pa.
上次是在施洗时看见他的
Last time l seen him was at a baptising.
他身上充满了圣灵
He had one of the biggest doses of the holy spirit l ever seen.
起灵时还跳过树从 像只满月的狼一样大叫
Got to jumping over bushes. Howlin’ like a dog-wolf at moon-time.
最后他拾起一支大木棍
Finally, he picks himself out a bush big as a piano
大叫一声又跳向树从
and he lets out a sQuawk and takes a run at that bush.
然后他退灵了
Well, he cleared her.
却也摔伤了腿
But he bust his leg snap in two doing it.
幸好路过的牙医替他接上
There was a travelling dentist and he set her
我也为他祈祷
and l gave her a praying over, but…
可是自此他身上就没有生灵了
there wasn’t no more holy spirit left in your pa after that.
听这阵风恐怕大有来头
-Listen. That wind’s fixing to do something. -Sure it is.
当然 每年此时都是如此
Always is this time of year.
妈
Ma?
爸
Pa?
妈
Ma?
没人在家
Ain’t nobody here.
-出事了 -有火柴吗
-Something’s happened. -You got a match?
他们不是走了就是死了
They’re all gone or dead.
-他们没写信给你吗 -没 他们不识字
-They never wrote you nothing? -No. They wasn’t people to write.
妈的老靴子
lt’s Ma’s. She had ’em for years.
我的帽子 我走时送给祖父的
Used to be mine. l gave it to Grandpa when l went away.
你想他们死了吗