给各位理事鞠躬
Bow to the board.
就是这孩子
This is the boy.
在救济院出生 然后去了教区农场
Born here in the workhouse. Moved to the parish farm.
现年9岁 已经到该回来的年纪了
Nine years old today. Time to be moved back here.
你叫什么 孩子
What’s your name, boy?
-奥利弗·忒斯特 -什么
-Oliver Twist. -What?
-那孩子是个傻子 -孩子 听我说
-That boy’s a fool. -Boy. Listen to me.
我想 你知道自己是孤儿吧
You know you are an orphan, I suppose.
-你说什么 -这孩子是个傻子 可能早就是了
-What’s that? -The boy is a fool. I thought he was.
你知道你无父无母
You know you’ve got no father or mother…
由教会养大 是吗
…and that you were brought up by the parish, don’t you?
-是的 先生 -你哭什么
-Yes, sir. -What are you crying for?
我希望你每天晚上都做祷告
I hope you say your prayers every night.
替那些养育你 照顾你的人祈祷
Pray for those that feed you and take care of you…
像一个基♥督♥徒
…Iike a Christian.
-是的 先生 -好吧
-Yes, sir. -Well…
你上这儿来是接受教育
…you have come here to be educated…
来学一门有用的手艺的
…and to be taught a useful trade.
这些东西放哪儿
Here, where do you want these?
跟你旁边的孩子学
Learn from the boy next to you.
-学什么 先生 -学拣麻絮
-What am I to learn, sir? -Learn to pick out the oakum.
麻絮是什么 先生
What’s oakum, sir?
你哪儿来这么多问题
Stop asking so many questions.
麻絮是从旧绳子里面挑出来的纤维
Oakum’s the fibers you unpick from the old rope.
能再次用在女王陛下的船上
Then it’s used again for the ships of Her Majesty’s navy.
你是在为国效力
You’re serving your country.
好了 干活吧
Now, get on with it.
汤姆 歇一歇好不好 我们还要睡觉呢
Tom, give it a rest, will you? We’re trying to sleep.
-睡不着 太饿了 -我们都饿
-Can’t sleep, too hungry. -We’re all hungry.
是的 但我怕
Yes, but I’m frightened.
怕 为什么
Frightened? Why?
什么 什么
Why? Why?
我太饿了 我怕把旁边的小子吃了
I’m so hungry, I’m frightened I might eat the lad that sleeps next to me.
主啊
O Lord God…
感谢你赐予我们
…for the blessing of this generous and bountiful meal…
如此丰盛的食物
…that thou hast placed before us…
感谢您的慷慨 阿门
…we give thanks. Amen.
阿门
Amen.
对不起 先生 我还要一点
Please, sir. I want some more.
什么
What?
对不起 先生 我还要
Please, sir, I want some more.
快把执事找来
Fetch the beadle!
尼姆金斯先生
Mr. Limbkins.
请原谅 先生
I beg your pardon, sir.
奥利弗·忒斯特还想要
Oliver Twist has asked for more.
还要
For more?!
镇静 邦布尔先生 清楚地回答我
Compose yourself, Mr. Bumble, and answer me distinctly.
你是说他吃了他的晚餐之后还要
Do I understand that he asked for more after he had eaten his supper?
是的 先生
He did, sir.
那孩子以后准会被绞死
That boy will be hanged.
“5镑一个孩–”
“Five pounds and a b–”
我说”哇”那就是”哇”
When I says “whoa,” I means “whoa”!
“健 健康的
“Health– Healthy…
学 学徒
…appren– apprentice.
5镑”
Five pounds.”
扫烟囱是个脏活
Chimney sweeping is a nasty trade.
以前有小孩在烟囱里面憋死的
Young boys have been smothered in chimneys before now.
那是因为要他们下来 可还没有点火
That’s because they damp the straw afore they light it in the chimney…
他们就把稻草弄湿了 湿的稻草会生烟
…to make them come out again. Damp straw makes smoke.
烟会让孩子睡着 他们还巴不得呢
Smoke sends a boy to sleep, and that’s what he wants.
小孩子都很懒的
Boys is very lazy, gentlemen.
但一团火就能让他们上杆子跑出来 没有比这个更灵的了
But there’s nothing like a good hot blaze to make them come out in a run.
而且很人道
It’s humane too. Yes.
即使他们粘在烟囱上了
Because even if they’ve stuck in the chimney…
脚板一热 他们就得赶紧下来
…roasting their feet makes them struggle to extricate theirselves.
是啊
Yes.
我想他喜欢扫烟囱这个活儿的吧
I suppose he’s fond of chimney sweeping?
没错 大人
He dotes on it, Your Worship.
好吧 那我就要签契约了
Very well. I will sign the indentures…
把他签给
…to make him Mr….
甘菲尔先生做学徒
Mr. Gamfield’s apprentice.
孩子
My boy.
孩子 你脸色苍白又惊慌失措
My boy, you look pale and alarmed.
出什么事了
What’s the matter?
求求您 先生 求求您 先生
Please, sir. Please, sir.
怎么了 孩子
What is it, my boy?
-别 -够了
-Don’t…. -Now then.
别 别
Don’t…. Don’t….
说吧 孩子 别什么
Go on, my boy. Don’t what?
求您别让这个可怕的人把我带走 先生
Please don’t send me away with this dreadful man, sir.
阴险狡猾的孤儿我见得多了
Of all the designing orphans that I’ve ever seen….
-闭嘴 执事 -你是在跟我说话吗 大人
-Hold your tongue, beadle. -Did Your Worship speak to me?
是的 闭嘴
Yes, hold your tongue.
不 不行
No. No, out of the question.
我拒绝签这张契约
We refuse to sanction these indentures.
把这孩子带走
Take the boy away.
好好待他
And treat him kindly.
看来他需要善待
He seems to want it.
我已经给昨晚去世的两位女士量好了尺寸
I’ve just taken the measure of the two women that died last night.
你要发财了 苏尔伯雷先生
You’ll make your fortune, Mr. Sowerberry.
您这么认为吗
Think so?
理事会出的价钱太少啦
The prices allowed by the board are very small.
棺材不也不大吗
So are the coffins.
顺便问一下 你知不知道有谁想找个仆童
By the by, you don’t know anybody who wants a boy, do you?
报酬很可观 苏尔伯雷先生 很可观
Liberal terms, Mr. Sowerberry. Liberal terms.
现在你要见你的新师♥傅♥了
Now, as you are to meet your new master…
把帽子拉起来
…pull that cap off your eyes.
头抬起来”先生”
Hold your head up, sir.
把眼睛擦干”先生”
Dry your eyes, sir.
-是你吗 邦布尔 -不会是别人 苏尔伯雷先生
-ls that you, Bumble? -No one else, Mr. Sowerberry.
我把那个孤儿带来了 奥利弗·忒斯特
I’ve brought the orphan, Oliver Twist.
那么说他是那个孤儿
So this is the orphan, is it?
苏尔伯雷太太
Mrs. Sowerberry…
能不能请你过来一下 亲爱的
…will you have the goodness to come here a moment, my dear?
奥利弗·忒斯特
Oliver Twist.
孤儿怎么会有名字
How comes an orphan to have any name at all?
-我给起的 -你 邦布尔先生
-I invented it. -You, Mr. Bumble?
我 苏尔伯雷先生
I, Mr. Sowerberry.
我按字母顺序给这些孤儿起名字
I name all our foundlings in alphabetical order.
最后一个是S
The last was S.
我给起了斯瓦布尔
Swubble, I named him.
这个是T 我给起了忒斯特
This was a T. Twist, I named him.
下一个是恩文
Next one as comes will be Unwin…
再下一个是维金斯
…and the next, Vilkins.
我把整个字母表的名字都准备好了 一直到Z
I’ve got names ready all through the alphabet, right up to Z.
哎呀 你可是个大文豪呢 先生
Why, you’re quite a literary character, sir.
嗯 嗯
Well, well…
-没准就是呢 -苏尔伯雷太太
-…perhaps I may be. -Mrs. Sowerberry…
这是救济院的孤儿
…this is the orphan from the workhouse.
天哪 他可真瘦小
Dear me, he’s very small.
但他会长大的 苏尔伯雷太太 会长大的
But he’ll grow, Mrs. Sowerberry. He’ll grow.
是啊 在我这里吃的好喝得好 我敢说他肯定会的
Yes, I daresay he will. On our food and drink.
救济院的孩子吃得都比一般孩子多
Workhouse boys always cost more to keep than they’re worth.
到楼下去 瘦皮猴
Get downstairs, you bag of bones.
夏洛特
Here, Charlotte…
把我们给狗准备的冷饭给这孩子
…give this boy some of the cold bits that were put by for the dog.
我猜你不会介意睡在棺材旁边
You don’t mind sleeping among the coffins, I suppose.
你介意不介意都一样
Well, it doesn’t much matter whether you do or don’t…
没别的地方给你睡
…for you can’t sleep anywhere else.
开门
Open the door, will you?