The day after 9/11, Danny and I flew to Pakistan.
911第二天我和丹尼飞到了巴基斯坦
He was the South Asia Bureau Chief for the Wall Street Journal
他是《华尔街日报》南亚地区主管
and I was working for French Public Radio.
我为法国国家广播电台工作
Thousands of journalists from all over the world arrived in Islamabad
世界各地的记者涌入伊♥斯♥兰♥堡
to cover the war in neighboring Afghanistan.
报道邻国阿富汗的战事
On the 7th October the bombing began.
十月七日 轰炸开始
The forces of the Taliban Government were rapidly overwhelmed.
塔♥利♥班♥政♥权♥不堪一击
And with the end of the war, many journalists moved on.
战事结束后记者们相继离开
Danny and I stayed.
我和丹尼选择了留下
Reporting on nuclear weapons, Al Qaeda, secret Jihadi training camps
继续报道核武器 塔♥利♥班♥圣♥战♥组织秘密训练营
and the million refugees still living in Peshawar,
以及白沙瓦数以千万计的难民
the birthplace of the Taliban.
这里正是塔♥利♥班♥的发源地
As the hunt for Bin Laden continued in the mountains of Tora Bora
美军正在托拉勃拉山中搜寻本·拉♥登♥的身影
many fighters slipped back across the border into Pakistan,
同时很多基♥地♥组♥织♥成员越过边境潜回巴基斯坦
looking for a safe place to regroup.
养精蓄锐 以期东山再起
And many people in Pakistan saw America as the enemy
许多巴基斯坦人视美国为仇敌
and the Taliban as their Muslim brothers.
视塔♥利♥班♥为穆♥斯♥林♥兄弟
By the end of January, I was five months pregnant
一月末我已怀胎五月
and we were ready to go home.
我们准备回家修养
But there was one more interview that Danny wanted.
但丹尼还想做一个采访
We flew to Karachi, one of the largest cities in the world.
于是我们飞到了卡拉奇世界上最大的城市之一
The main port of entry to and departure from Pakistan.
巴基斯坦的门户
A vast, sprawling, chaotic city where there are so many people
这城市巨大 拥挤 混乱人口众多
nobody knows how to count them.
多得难以计数
How do you find one man amongst all this?
在这里找一个人无异于♥大♥海♥捞针
Okay, thank you.
好的 谢谢
Hey. Hi. How’s it going?
嗨 嗨 事情怎么样了?
Yeah, it’s okay.
嗯 还不错
Where’s Mariane? She’s in bed, I think.
玛丽安呢? 在床上吧
Do you know where the headquarters of Cybernet is?
你知道赛伯通信公♥司♥的总部在哪儿么?
Cybernet? Yeah. Why?
赛伯通信? 知道 怎么?
You know Richard Reid? Yeah.
认识理查德·里德吗? 认识
He sent an e-mail to his handler here, it’s a Cybernet address.
他用赛伯通信的地址给这里的联络人发了封邮件
You wanna go there? Yeah.
你要去那查查? 嗯
Hey. How are you feeling?
感觉怎么样?
Huge. Pregnant. I stink.
大腹便便 臭气熏天
I’ll show you stink. Make a lot of stink.
我这才叫臭
This time tomorrow we’re gonna be in an air-conditioned hotel in Dubai.
我们明天这个时候就能呆在凉快的迪拜宾馆里了
How’s my little embryo? Good.
我的小宝贝怎么样? 不错
Yeah? Yeah.
是么? 嗯
Yeah.
是的
Secrets?
悄悄话?
I have a name for him. You do?
我给他想了个名字 是么?
What? Adam.
叫什么? 亚当
Adam?
亚当?
Sheraton haven’t got any cars today. Really?
谢拉顿今天没找到车 是吗?
Okay, khuda hafeez. I need one as well.
好吧 再见 给我也叫一台
It’s not a problem. I’ll get Shabir to get you guys a taxi.
没问题我让沙♥比♥德去叫出租车
As long as it doesn’t take too long. I can’t be late.
最好快些我可不能迟到
Thank you. No problem.
谢谢 没问题
All right, I gotta roll. I love you.
我得走了 我爱你
I’ll call you. Leave your phone on. Okay.
开着手♥机♥ 我给你打电♥话♥ 好的
I’ll see you at the supermarket, okay?
我们在超♥市♥见 好么?
Take care of her.
照顾好她
Do you have a boy? I have a daughter, one, sir.
你有小孩吗? 一个女孩儿 先生
How old? Maybe eight and a half months.
多大了? 大概八岁半吧
Daughter good. No problem. Life.
女孩儿好 一辈子安稳
Boy too much problem, life. Yeah.
男孩子麻烦太多 是啊
Danny. Kaleem Yusuf.
丹尼我是卡利姆·尤索夫
Danny Pearl. Nice to meet you.
丹尼·珀尔 幸会
Please, come through. Would you care for some tea?
请进 你喝茶么?
I want to ask your advice about something.
有件事情 我想咨♥询♥一下
I’m supposed to meet tonight with Sheikh Gilani.
我今晚要跟谢赫·吉拉尼见面
Where are you supposed to meet him? At the Village Restaurant.
在哪里? 一家风味餐馆
Provided you meet him at a public place you should be all right.
只要是在公众场所应该没有问题
Just be careful. Okay, I will.
自己多加小心 好 我会注意
Good.
很好
It’s not just religious fundamentalism that we are fighting.
我们反对的不仅是原教旨主义
It’s a combination of tribalism, retrogressive cultural values
还有落后的 小部族主义的价值观
and a totally decayed criminal justice system.
以及腐朽的法律系统
So what is your focus, your solution?
那你对此的解决方案是?
Tonight you go? Tomorrow, yeah.
你今晚走? 明天
Why, my friend?
为什么?
You know Dubai? I know, sir, Dubai.
你知道迪拜吗? 我知道
Have you been there? No, no. Only Karachi.
你去过吗? 没有 我一辈子都在卡拉奇
So I’m trying to find someone who’s using Cybernet as his ISP.
我想查一个塞伯通信的用户
I have the e-mail account name
我有他的电子邮件帐号♥
and I was wondering if you’d be able to give me the IP number
不知道你能否给我提供他的IP地址
or the name of the account holder?
或着帐号♥的注册信息?
It is possible but I guess everything here is very confidential
这些资料有 但都是保密的
and we are not supposed to leak any sort of information to anybody.
我们不能对外泄露
Asra? Yeah, I’ll be there in 10 minutes.
艾丝拉? 是我 我十分钟后到
Masud.
马苏德
Danny. How are you? Is everything okay?
丹尼 你怎么样? 一切顺利吗?
Yeah. No, I’m all right, I’m on my way now.
我很好我在路上呢
Okay. Is Mariane going with you?
好的 玛丽安和你一起吗?
No, she’s not. She’s gonna stay home. No? That’s good.
不 她没有 她呆在家里 那就好
Why? Is there a problem? No, no, there’s no problem.
怎么 有什么问题么? 没有 没问题
As long as you meet in public, there shouldn’t be a problem.
只要你们在公众场合见面就没问题
All right. I mean, it’s what everybody tells me.
好 大家都这么说
Yeah, because that’s true. Good luck for the meeting.
是 因为事实如此祝你好运
Yeah, thanks.
谢谢
Hey. Hey, baby.
嗨 宝贝
Hey, where are you? I’m at the supermarket.
你在哪? 我在超♥市♥
What are you cooking? Picadillo.
今天准备做什么? 什锦肉糜
Oh, yeah? Excellent.
是么? 太棒了
How are you? How was your day?
你怎么样?
Lt was all right. They didn’t tell me much.
还好 他们没说太多
What time will you be back? I’m hoping 9:00.
你什么时候回来? 可能九点
I’m sitting in a parking lot right now but hopefully we’ll get moving
路上堵得厉害走得慢些
and I’m still hoping 9:00.
希望能九点前回去
Listen, I love you. Love you.
我爱你 爱你
Bye. Byebye.
再见 再见
Pakistani and Indian troops
印巴两国♥军♥队
are still massing on the disputed Kashmir border…
仍在克什米尔边境问题上纠结
Asra, how much time do I have?
艾丝拉 他们什么时候来?
It’s okay. We’ve got lots of time. Don’t worry.
没关系 来得及别着急
Glasses, glasses.
玻璃杯 玻璃杯
The number you have dialed is not responding at the moment.
您拨♥打♥的电♥话♥暂时无法接通
Please try later.
请稍候再拨
Excuse me. How far are we going?
请问还有多远?
How’s it going? Good.
怎么样了? 很好
So, it’s just helping.
所以只是援助上的
What is it that you’re doing? It’s a cabin crew job. Qatar Airways.
你做什么工作? 卡塔尔航♥空♥ 服务人员
That is the toughest job in the world. It is. Waking up at 4:00 in the morning.
那是世界上最辛苦的工作 凌晨四点就要起床
How much are they paying you? I love the way she says Urdu.
他们付你多少薪水? 我喜欢她的乌拉尔语口音
At least I can say “water” as opposed to “water.”
至少我没有把”水”说成”随”
No-one says “water” here. Okay? We all say “water.”
我们可没念成”随”我们都念”水”
Hey, this food is really good. Yes, it’s very nice.
这个菜可真不错 的确很好吃
It’s a Cuban dish.
这是古巴菜
Cuban? Cuban.
古巴? 古巴
Is that where you’re from? No. My mother’s Cuban. I’m from Paris.
你是古巴人? 不 我妈妈是 我生在巴黎
Where’s that CIA agent, man? How do you mean?
那个中情局特工去哪了? 你什么意思?
All the American journalists are CIA agents, aren’t they?
所有的美国记者都是中情局的特工不是么?
Sure.
是啊
I work for the Wall Street Journal, so does that make me a CIA agent?
我在《华尔街日报》工作我就是美国特工?
But what do the Americans really know about Pakistan?
美国人究竟了解巴基斯坦多少?
What do they know about Afghanistan?
了解阿富汗多少?
Apart from bombing it all the time.
只会不停的轰炸
That’s why I’m a journalist, to let people know.
这就是我当记者的原因让人们了解真♥相♥