π
死亡密♥码♥
‘9:13. Personal note.
9点13分,个人记事
‘When I was a little kid,
在我还是小孩子的时候
‘my mother told me not to stare into the sun.
妈妈告诉我不要直视太阳
‘So once, when I was six, I did.
然而在我6岁时,我却这样做了
‘The doctors didn’t know if my eyes would ever heal.
医生不知道我的眼睛是否能痊愈
‘I was terrified,
在孤独的黑暗中
‘alone in that darkness.
我很害怕
‘Slowly,
慢慢地
‘daylight crept in through the bandages
阳光穿过绷带
‘and I could see.
我能看到东西了
‘But something else had changed inside me.
但我的身体已经发生了些变化
‘That day I had my first headache.’
从那一天开始我有了头痛
Jenna, come back here.
詹娜,回来
Max, Max, can I do it?
马科斯,马科斯,我们可以玩玩吗?
Jenna. What’s 322 times 491?
詹娜 322 乘以491是多少?
158,102. Right?
158,102. 对吧?
Right!
对!
OK, 73 divided by 22?
那么……73 除以22是多少?
3.318…18…18…
3.318…18…18…
..18…18…18…18…
18…18…18…18…
’12:45. Restate my assumptions.
12点45分,重申我的假设
‘One: Mathematics is the language of nature.
1:数学是自然界的语言
‘Two: Everything around us can be represented and understood through numbers.
2:我们周围的事物可以用数字来表述
‘Three: If you graph the numbers of any system, patterns emerge.
3:将这些数字转换成图像,就会形成模式
‘Therefore, there are patterns everywhere in nature.
所以,在自然界中到处存在模式
‘Evidence:
明显的有…
‘The cycling of disease epidemics;
疾病传染周期
‘the wax and wane of caribou populations;
驯鹿数量的增减变化
‘sun spot cycles;
太阳黑子周期
‘the rise and fall of the Nile.
尼罗河的涨落
‘So, what about the stock market?
那么,股市呢?
‘The universe of numbers that represents the global economy.
这个全球经济的数字系统
‘Millions of hands at work, billions of minds.
包含无数双手和头脑在工作
‘A vast network, screaming with life. An organism.
是一个巨大的神经网络 并带着生命在叫嚣,它是一个有机体
‘A natural organism.
一个自然界的有机体
‘My hypothesis:
我的假设…
‘Within the stock market, there is a pattern as well…
在股市的背后 也有一个模式
‘Right in front of me,
就是我前面这个
‘hiding behind the numbers. Always has been.
就在这些数字里面 一定在那里
’12:50, press return.’
12点50分,按回车
Hello.
你好
Maximillian Cohen, please.
请找马科斯
Yeah? Hi, it’s Marcy Dawson.
什么事? 你好,我是杜玛斯
I’m a partner at the predictive strategy firm…
还记得我吗?我是预测公♥司♥的合伙人…
I told you… Sorry I haven’t called.
我告诉过你… 对不起,我没有联♥系♥过你
I hoped we could have lunch tomorrow. Say one o’clock?
我门明天可以一起吃中饭吗?1点怎么样?
Max, good. Hey, Devi.
马科斯 戴维
I grabbed you some samosas. Great.
我给你带了一些饺子 好的
Your hair! What are you doing?
看你的头发 你干什么?
You can’t go out like that. It’s fine.
你的头发啊,你不能就这样出去的 这样很好
Don’t worry. It’s fine.
别紧张 这样很好
You need a mom. I gotta go.
你需要一个保姆 我得走了
Max. Here, your samosas.
马科斯,这是你的饺子
Thanks.
谢谢
’16:23. Results.
16点23分,结果
‘Euclid predicts NTC will break 100 tomorrow.
欧几里预测NTC股明天会突破100点
‘A good bet. Other anomalies:
很好的赌注,其他的预测…
‘It predicts PRO NET settling at sixty-five and a quarter,
PRO NET股会升到65.25点
a career high.’
一个新高
Am I bothering you? I’m sorry, I’ll put it out.
打扰你一下 对不起,我把它熄灭
Name’s Lenny Meyer.
我叫兰尼·梅尔
And you are?
您是?
Max.
马科斯
Is that Max? Max…?
是叫马科斯吗?马科斯,姓什么?
Max Cohen. Cohen! Jewish.
马科斯·科恩 姓科恩!犹太人
It’s OK. I’m a Jew too. Do you practise?
没什么的,我也是犹太人 你做祈祷吗?
No. I’m not interested in religion.
不,我对宗教不感兴趣
Did you ever hear of Kabbalah? No.
听说过“凯伯拉”吗? 没有
Jewish mysticism. Look, I’m busy right here.
犹太人的神秘宗教 看,我现在很忙
I understand.
我知道
But right now is a very exciting moment in our history.
但现在是我们历史上最令人兴奋的时刻
Right now is a critical moment in time.
现在是时间长河中的关键时刻
Really? Yeah. It’s very exciting.
真的? 是的,非常令人兴奋
Have you ever put on Tefillin? You know Tefillin?
你戴过经♥文♥护符匣吗? 你知道有经♥文♥护符匣吗?
Yeah, I know, it looks strange. It’s an amazing tradition.
是的,我知道,看起来很古怪的传统东西
It has a tremendous power. It’s a mitzvah Jewish men should do.
它有无穷的力量 是每一个有德行的犹太男子应该戴的东西
Mitzvahs, good deeds. They purify us.
戒律,神的契约,它净化我们
Bring us closer to God. Wanna try it?
让我们更接近上帝,你要试试吗?
Shit. You all right, Max?
惨了 你怎么了,马科斯?
Please. Please, a small one.
求求你,轻一点
’17:55. Personal note. Second attack in under 24 hours.
17点55分,24小时内的第2次头痛
‘Administered 80 milligrams Promozine HCI
口服80毫克的盐酸普马嗪
‘and six milligrams Sumattrapan orally,
和6毫克的止痛药
‘as well as one milligram Dihydroric- atamine-mezilayte ‘by subcutaneous injection.
皮下注射1毫克的间羟胺
Hi. Mr Cohen?
你好 科恩先生
Marcy Dawson here again, from Lancet-Percy.
又是我,卢森特·泼斯公♥司♥的杜玛斯
I checked my schedule and I’m in Chinatown tomorrow at three.
我被安排了明天3点到唐人街
I’d love to stop by to meet you.
我会顺便去见一下你
It’ll be worth it for us. How’s three sound?
这对我们都有好处,3点怎样?
How did you get my address? I got it from Columbia.
你是怎么得到我的地址的? 不要紧张,我是从哥伦比亚那得到的
Three it is. Looking forward to it.
那就3点了,不见不散
Wait a minute…
等一等…
Max.
马科斯
Stop thinking, Max.
不要想了
Just feel. Use your intuition.
凭感觉,用你的直觉
What did you think of Hamlet? I didn’t get to it.
你觉得《哈姆雷特》怎么样? 我没看过
It’s been a month. You haven’t taken a single break. I’m so close.
你已经1个月没有休息了 我就要成功了
Have you met the new fish my niece bought me?
你见过我侄女带给我的金鱼吗?
I named her Icarus after you, my renegade pupil.
我叫它伊卡洛斯 名字取自你这个叛逆的学生
You fly too high, you’ll get burnt.
你飞得太高了,太阳会把你烤焦的
I look at you, I see myself 30 years ago.
我看着你,就象看着30年前的我
My greatest pupil. Published at 16, PhD at 20.
你是我最得意的学生 16岁发表论文,20岁获得博士学位
But life isn’t just mathematics, Max.
但生活并不仅仅是为了数学,马科斯
I spent 40 years searching for patterns in Pi.
我花了40年去探索圆周率的模式
I found nothing. You found things.
我什么也没有发现 你是发现了一些东西的
I found things…
我是发现了一些东西
but not a pattern.
但并不是模式
‘Not a pattern.
不是模式
’11:22. Personal note.
11点22分,个人记事
‘Sol died a little when he stopped research on Pi.
索尔在停止研究圆周率之后不久就死了
‘It wasn’t just the stroke.
并不是因为中风
‘He stopped caring.
是因为他停止工作了
‘How could he stop,
怎么会停止呢
‘when he was so close to seeing Pi for what it really is?
他就要发现圆周率本质
‘How could you stop believing that there is a pattern,
他那么接近成功的时候,怎么会不相信…
‘an ordered shape behind those numbers, when you were so close?
那些数字形成的有序图形是一个模式呢
‘We see the simplicity of the circle,
我们看到圆形的简洁
‘we see the maddening complexity of the endless numbers,
但也看到了圆周率的无尽复杂性
‘3.14 off into infinity.’
3.14,以至无穷
# Are the stars out tonight?
今晚的星空是否明亮
# I don’t mind if they’re cloudy or bright
我无法看到它的光芒
# For I only have eyes
我的眼睛只能感受你
# For you, dear
亲爱的你,
# I don’t mind if we’re in a… #
在我心上
Hey, Max.
喂,马科斯
Lenny Meyer.
兰尼·梅尔呀
I’ll put it out.
对不起,我把它熄掉
So… What do you do?
那么…你是干什么的?
I work with computers. Math.
我是研究数学的