[Bird Squawking]
[鸟叫声]
[Woman Narrating]
Old paint on canvas, as it ages…
帆布上旧画的颜色随着时间的流逝…
sometimes becomes transparent.
有时候就脱落了。
When that happens,
it is possible in some pictures…
当出现这种情况的时候,在一些画上…
to see the original lines.
就可以看到最初勾勒的那些线条。
A tree will show through a woman’s dress.
妇人的衣服后面可以透出树影。
A child makes way for a dog.
孩子的身后看得到狗。
A boat is no longer on an open sea.
船也不像在远处的海面上行驶了。
That is called pentimento…
这种现象被称为原笔再现。
because the painter repented…
因为画家的悔悟…
changed his mind.
改变了他的初衷。
[Squawking Continues]
[鸟叫声]
[Train Whistle Blaring]
[火车汽笛声]
I’m old now, and I wanna remember…
现在我老了, 我想回忆一下…
what was there for me once…
自己曾经有过什么…
and what is there for me now.
而现在又有什么…
[Typing]
[打字声]
It’s not working again, Dash.
又不能用了,达西。
It’s falling apart again.
又坏掉了。
Put on your sweater.
Bring some whiskey.
穿上衣服,给我拿点威士忌.
I’ll build a fire, and we’ll start dinner.
我来生个火,然后我们吃晚饭.
Don’t forget the smokes.
别忘了烟.
I’m not here to take orders. I want advice.
我不是来这被你差事来差事去的,我要你给我提点建议.
You’re a big-shot writer.
你是个大作家。
[Shouting] You’re not a general,
Hammett, and I ain’t the troops.!
你不是将军,汉密特,我也不是士兵.
If you really can’t write,
maybe you should go find a job.
如果你不能写作的话,那么去找一份工作.
Be a waitress.
[Chuckles]
当个服务员。
What about a fireman, eh?
You could be chief.
消防员怎么样?你能当个小偷。
It’s not a bad idea, you know?
Little town somewhere…
这主意不错,找个小镇…
find yourself a little fire station, a hat.
找个消防站,找顶消防帽.
– I’ll be the mayor.
– Why should you be the mayor?
– 我就当镇长。
– 为什么你是镇长?
Well, someone has to appoint you if…
总得有人委派你吧,如果说…
I’m in trouble with my goddamn play,
and you don’t care!
我那该死的剧本写不下去了而你却毫不关心.
Just because you stopped writing doesn’t…
就因为你不再写小说了并不…
[Liquid Pouring]
Tell you what, Lilly.
I’ll send you on a trip to Paris.
告诉你一件事,莉莉。我想让你去巴黎旅行。
I don’t wanna go to Paris.
我不想去巴黎。
Why not? I hear it’s a swell town.
为什么?我听说巴黎是个时尚之都。
Finish the play there.
Have a little fun. Visit your friend Julia.
在那里完成你的剧本,玩得开心点,还可以看看你的朋友朱莉亚。
You know damn wellJulia’s not in Paris.
你知道朱莉亚不在巴黎.
Well, wherever she is.
那她在哪里?
Go to Spain. There may be a civil war
in Spain. You’d help somebody win it.
那去西班牙吧,那儿正在内战,或许你能帮一方打赢战争。
– [Laughs] You’re scrappy.
– I’m not scrappy. Don’t call me scrappy.
– 你总是争强好胜。
– 我不喜欢争强好胜。别说我喜欢争强好胜。
You make me sound like
a neighborhood bulldog.
你让我听起来像邻居家的恶狗。
You are the neighborhood bulldog, Lilly!
你就是邻居家的恶狗,莉莉。
‘Cept you got some cockeyed dream
about bein’ a cocker spaniel.
承认吧,你就幻想过当一条猎狗。
– I can’t work here.
– Well, then don’t work here.
Don’t work anyplace.
– 我在这里没法工作。
– 那就别在这里工作,别在任何地方工作。
It’s not as if you’ve written
anything before, you know.
别弄得像以前写过什么作品一样。
Nobody’ll miss you.
It’s a perfect time to change jobs.
没人会惦记你的。现在是换工作的绝佳时机。
You’re the one who talked me
into being a writer, Dashiell.
是你说服我去当作家的,达西尔。
You’re the one who said,
“Stick with it, kid. You got talent, kid.”
是你说:“你要坚持,你有这个天份。”
You soft-soaped me with all that crap!
你用那一堆废话来骗我。
– And now look at me.
– If you’re gonna cry about it,
go stand on a rock.
– 看着我。
– 如果你要哭的话,找块石头站上去哭。
Don’t do it around me.
别在我边上哭。
If you can’t write here, go someplace else.
如果你在这里写不出来的话,就到别处去写。
Give it up. Open a drugstore.
放弃吧,开家药店。
Be a coal miner.
当个矿工。
Only just don’t cry about it.
反正不要为这件事伤心。
[Lilly’s Voice] I think I have
always known about my memory.
我想我一直很清楚我脑子里记得的那些事情。
I know when the truth
is distorted by some drama or fantasy.
我知道真实的事情有时会和戏剧或是自己幻想混在一起。
But I trust absolutely
what I remember about…
但我绝对相信那些我所记得的事情…
Julia.
朱莉亚
[Clock Ticking]
[Clock Tolling]
Happy New Year, Grandmother.
新年好,外婆。
Happy New Year, Julia.
新年好,朱莉亚.
– Happy New Year, Grandfather.
– Hmm?
– 新年好,外公。
– 嗯?
Why did we have sherbert
in the middle of the meal?
为什么我们要在吃饭的时候吃牛奶果冻?
It clears the palate
between the fish and the meat.
果冻能够去除嘴巴里大鱼大肉留下来的味道。
– Who’s that?
– It’s my mother.
– 那是谁?
– 我妈妈.
– [Lilly] My God.
– [Julia] Shejust got married again.
– 天啊。
– 她又结婚了.
– Where does your mother live?
– In Scotland.
– 你母亲住哪儿?
– 苏格兰。
– My mother owns a very fancy castle.
– Have you been there?
– 我妈妈有个很特别的城♥堡♥.
– 你去过吗?
– Once.
– What’s it like?
– 就一次.
– 那里怎么样?
Full of fancy people with fancy titles.
都是一些有着奇奇怪怪头衔的人.
– Who were they?
– I don’t remember. They didn’t interest me.
– 都有些谁?
– 不记得了。我对他们不感兴趣。
They’re all very rich and famous.
他们都很有钱也很有名.
They just said hello to me,
and I don’t remember.
他们就跟我打了下招呼,我不记得了。
[Orchestra. ; “My Blue Heaven
[管弦乐曲:“我的蓝色天堂”]
[Continues]
– Happy New Year, Julia.
– Happy New Year.
– 新年好,朱莉亚。
– 新年好。
[Ends]
I am… Paris.
我是帕丽斯。
I am Paris, and I am a string of beads.
我是帕丽斯,我是一串珠子。
I am Paris,
and I am a string of beads on a hot dancer.
我是帕丽斯,我是热辣舞娘身上的一串珠子。
[Laughs]
[Chuckles]
I am Paris,
and I am a string of beads on a hot dancer…
我是帕丽斯,我是热辣舞娘身上的一串珠子。
and a romantic Frenchman
comes into my room.
一个浪漫的法国人走进我的房♥间.
And he carries me
off into the dark Parisian night.
他把我带进了黑色的巴黎之夜。
– [Laughs]
– And takes me to his villa.
带我去他的别♥墅♥.
[Speaking French]
– What happened?
– [Laughing]
发生了什么事?
– Oh, I’m in ecstasy!
– What happened?
– 哦,我太高兴了!
– 发生了什么事?
You’ll have to learn French.
你应该去学学法语.
[Both Laughing]
– [Adult Lilly] I am Paris.
– [Laughter]
– 我是帕丽斯。
[Julia]
I am Paris, and I am a string ofbeads.
我是帕丽斯,我是一串珠子。
No, wait a minute. No.
不,等一下。
I am Paris,
and I am a string of beads on a hot dancer.
我是帕丽斯,我是热辣舞娘身上的一串珠子。
I am Paris. I am a string
of beads on a hot dancer…
我是帕丽斯,我是热辣舞娘身上的一串珠子。
and outside it is Renoir and Degas.
外面是雷诺阿和德加。
I am Paris, and I am a string
of beads on a hot dancer…
我是帕丽斯,我是热辣舞娘身上的一串珠子。